Just retuned

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

thaioneon
regular
regular

Just retuned

Postby thaioneon » Tue Mar 17, 7:43 pm

We spent a mostly wonderful 14 days in my favorite home away from home and just got back to the States on Friday on the last direct flight to Phillly in awhile. Might post trip report soon which will include the usual beer bars and live music with a bit of edibles and drama mixed in. The drama was quite different this time due to the crazy times we find ourselves in. Been awhile since I posted (a few years now) but we have still gone every year just not posted. Mostly because it seems like this board is pretty dead and not sure anyone is hear to read or even cares to.

thai

FlyByNite
super power poster
super power poster

Re: Just retuned

Postby FlyByNite » Tue Mar 17, 9:44 pm

I will be reading your posts.

Enjoy
FlyByNite

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Tue Mar 17, 10:58 pm

Looking forward to them :)

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Tue Mar 17, 11:20 pm

Cheers!

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Wed Mar 18, 1:44 am

we need a collective chuckle or two . please do .

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Wed Mar 18, 5:06 pm

@thai It's been a long time, I'd love to read a trip report. Please and thanks!

bigbird
super poster
super poster

Postby bigbird » Wed Mar 18, 7:50 pm

A current trip report would be appreciated by me for sure!

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Wed Mar 18, 8:21 pm

plese please
write a trip report
give us drama
humor
and a weed & beer report for the hell of it too

slither
super power poster
super power poster

Postby slither » Thu Mar 19, 4:59 am

62 hours.

The flight over was less than half full. The return flight was canceled, likewise the rerouting via London Heathrow, and I despise O’Hare even on a good day. I ended up returning on a red eye to México City.

Observations: kibbeling fish with frites and a pint of Brand is amazing, and even the pragmatic Dutch are not above hoarding toilet paper.

thaioneon
regular
regular

Postby thaioneon » Fri Mar 20, 4:51 am

Day 1, 2/28
So this was to be our longest trip yet, 25 nights. A bit nervous due to the oncoming pandemic making its way from Asia, now in Italy, but nothing yet in the Netherlands. We arrived at the runway at Schipol on the direct flight from Phila. in record time, just shy of 6 hours. Gotta love that tailwind! Of course another 25 minutes of taxiing to the gate which seems to be the norm there. But got checked in to our apartment near Dam Square, unpacked and ready to go on that glorious first walk in our beloved city by 12:30 and just in time for lunch at t'Loosje on the Nieuwemarkt.

We shared their amazing club sandwich and a bowl of chicken soup that was every bit as good as Bubbie's. Two fine Dutch beers, a Texels Skumkoppe for the lady and a Ij Zatte for me. Ahh, great to be back! Such a lovely café that never changes, pure Amsterdam magic. We agreed that you couldn't replicate a place like this anywhere else.

Now time to stop at the Albert Heijn a couple of doors down and gather some supplies for our apartment. Just the staples...paper towels, toilet paper, some half volle for our morning coffee, and what's this? You gotta be kidding me! What luck, a 4 pack of "ice chouffe, La Chouffe's incredible Christmas beer. Was planning on stopping by de Bierkoning later on to stock up but couldn't pass this up.

Back to the apartment for a nice nap. Then a quick buy and fly at the Greenhouse Centrum, some King Hassan hash for later. Over to our favorite restaurant, La Paella. So nice to be back here. Greeted by Roberto, the owner of this terrific Spanish restaurant on Warmoesstraat. We ordered our usual griiled calamares and mussels in red sauce and some of their great sangria. Delicious as usual.

Nightcap at Café Belgique, another truly unique gem. Kwaaks for us both at the table on the right side of the bar, one of only two in this tiny café. Found myself Shazaming almost every tune the DJ was spinning which we do every visit as its always inspiring. Great way to end our first night.

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Fri Mar 20, 3:30 pm

Lovely. Thanks Thai.

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hobie » Fri Mar 20, 4:49 pm

Thanks ,

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Fri Mar 20, 8:15 pm

Thanks so much. I can't wait for more but at the same time, don't want it to end, kinda like while you're there ;^) If the rest of the trip was as good as day 1, but wait, there's drama?

Thanks again!

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”