Approval voting?

The place to discuss political issues.

User avatar
alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 6:12 pm
Location: damned, or in The dam!

Approval voting?

Postby alpha » Sun Oct 28, 7:09 am

Scott Shackford wrote:Hamlin says supporters of third-party and independent candidates should appreciate the system. In the 2016 presidential election, Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson got 3 percent of the vote and Green Party candidate Jill Stein got one percent. In a study examining the race as if it were an approval vote ballot, Johnson's support jumped to 21 percent and Stein's support rose to 12 percent, Hamlin says.

That's certainly not enough for either of them to win, but it's an example of how our method of voting games the system so heavily in favor of the two dominant parties. If Johnson had been treated all along as a candidate with support of 21 percent of the population, how would that have affected the amount of media coverage he received, not to mention participation in debates? Would the Democratic and Republican parties be so dismissive about his positions?


Yea, or nay, anyone?

User avatar
a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 5796
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 12:32 am
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Re: Approval voting?

Postby a bollocks » Sun Oct 28, 4:35 pm

What is Aleppo? I mean, besides the one Marx Brother we don't talk about.

User avatar
modern roots
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 2371
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 7:19 am
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Approval voting?

Postby modern roots » Sun Oct 28, 5:48 pm

There are no independents on my ballot for Nov. 6.

I'd vote independent if I had a choice. I'm leaning Republican.

User avatar
Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 15443
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2:45 pm
Location: Among the six billion.
Contact:

Re: Approval voting?

Postby Dazzler » Mon Oct 29, 8:54 am

modern roots wrote:There are no independents on my ballot for Nov. 6.

I'd vote independent if I had a choice. I'm leaning Republican.


Then you’re a bellend.

User avatar
alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 6:12 pm
Location: damned, or in The dam!

Re: Approval voting?

Postby alpha » Mon Oct 29, 5:17 pm

Dazzler wrote:
modern roots wrote:There are no independents on my ballot for Nov. 6.

I'd vote independent if I had a choice. I'm leaning Republican.


Then you’re a bellend.


I think not in this instance. He might've picked an independent had he been given that choice, however he is at least paying attention to who is running, which a majority of the american electorate is incapable of comprehending. That vast majority are the bellends of america.

Also,had he been able to approve, or oppose, he could've chosen to oppose both major parties and leave it at that. This kind of voting could certainly send a more detailed message of the disposition of the electorate, to the eventual winner and losers combined.

User avatar
Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 15443
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2:45 pm
Location: Among the six billion.
Contact:

Re: Approval voting?

Postby Dazzler » Mon Oct 29, 11:03 pm

Vote for a party headed by Trump, with John Bolton in the WH and Bannon in the background pulling strings? Bellend. No excuses.

User avatar
moe.
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 7:06 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Approval voting?

Postby moe. » Mon Oct 29, 11:35 pm

We voted straight Democrat in this house, our next door neighbors did exactly the opposite. I think they opposed us on the measures as well. We'll see what happens next Wednesday.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 1:42 am

Re: Approval voting?

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Tue Oct 30, 3:23 am

i am surrounded by democrats... we will all vote.

User avatar
alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 6:12 pm
Location: damned, or in The dam!

Re: Approval voting?

Postby alpha » Tue Oct 30, 8:31 am

moe. wrote:We voted straight Democrat in this house, our next door neighbors did exactly the opposite. I think they opposed us on the measures as well. We'll see what happens next Wednesday.


Wouldn't being able to oppose one party whilst approving another be more feasible to how you're voting now? Wouldn't that allow independents more of a say in our elections? Seems to me it would work much better than the present process, or is there something i'm missing?

worldcitizen1723 wrote:i am surrounded by democrats... we will all vote.


Yes, but out of curiosity, if you had a chance to support your democrat and perhaps an independent, or two, whilst opposing the republican candidate and/or any other candidate you didn't care for, be preferable to our current system?

User avatar
modern roots
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 2371
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 7:19 am
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Approval voting?

Postby modern roots » Tue Oct 30, 4:03 pm

I'm leaning Republican because I don't like the Democrats position on a few things. They want a lottery but want all the money for education and I disagree. If they would use the lottery money to fund mental health and health insurance (medicaid) I'd vote for them. Education is such a money pit but everyone needs insurance and mental health care.
So my vote isn't necessarily a vote of approval as much as it is a vote against the Democrats.
Wish I had some independents to vote for.

User avatar
Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 15443
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2:45 pm
Location: Among the six billion.
Contact:

Re: Approval voting?

Postby Dazzler » Tue Oct 30, 4:30 pm

You know when people ask "How could Germans have voted for the NSDAP? What would you have done if you were alive then? Would you have spoken out or would you have kept quiet?"

I think we're seeing the answers to those questions playing out in real time.

There are no good reasons to vote for the Republicans at the moment. None.

User avatar
moe.
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 7:06 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Approval voting?

Postby moe. » Tue Oct 30, 6:03 pm

alpha wrote:
moe. wrote:We voted straight Democrat in this house, our next door neighbors did exactly the opposite. I think they opposed us on the measures as well. We'll see what happens next Wednesday.


Wouldn't being able to oppose one party whilst approving another be more feasible to how you're voting now? Wouldn't that allow independents more of a say in our elections? Seems to me it would work much better than the present process, or is there something i'm missing?

The simple fact is, sadly, a vote for an Independent is a wasted vote. None stand the chance of a snowball in hell of winning. They don't get the campaign funds needed to get their message across and we really have no idea what they stand for. I'm sick of the 2 party system as much as everyone else but they effectively quash all other parties and I don't see a way around it.

User avatar
alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 6:12 pm
Location: damned, or in The dam!

Re: Approval voting?

Postby alpha » Tue Oct 30, 6:46 pm

Dazzler wrote:You know when people ask "How could Germans have voted for the NSDAP? What would you have done if you were alive then? Would you have spoken out or would you have kept quiet?"

I think we're seeing the answers to those questions playing out in real time.


I believe we are too, however, on both sides of the pond, not just over here.

Dazzler wrote:There are no good reasons to vote for the Republicans at the moment. None.


Very true again, unfortunately over here there are no good reasons to vote for the Democrats either, at the moment. None, unless for some reason you want to vote for a pathological liar.

User avatar
alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 6:12 pm
Location: damned, or in The dam!

Re: Approval voting?

Postby alpha » Tue Oct 30, 6:59 pm

moe. wrote:
alpha wrote:
moe. wrote:We voted straight Democrat in this house, our next door neighbors did exactly the opposite. I think they opposed us on the measures as well. We'll see what happens next Wednesday.


Wouldn't being able to oppose one party whilst approving another be more feasible to how you're voting now? Wouldn't that allow independents more of a say in our elections? Seems to me it would work much better than the present process, or is there something i'm missing?


The simple fact is, sadly, a vote for an Independent is a wasted vote. None stand the chance of a snowball in hell of winning. They don't get the campaign funds needed to get their message across and we really have no idea what they stand for. I'm sick of the 2 party system as much as everyone else but they effectively quash all other parties and I don't see a way around it.


Sure, i agree the present system is nearly totalitarian and the very fact they dictate to us what's to occur makes some wonder exactly what kind of ideology they actually live under? However, why wouldn't allowing the people to oppose and approve particular candidates, be able to help disadvantage candidates who don't have a major political party backing them? Why wouldn't this kind of system be at least a partial way around their political blockade?

User avatar
moe.
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 7:06 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Approval voting?

Postby moe. » Tue Oct 30, 7:02 pm

alpha wrote:
moe. wrote:
alpha wrote:
moe. wrote:We voted straight Democrat in this house, our next door neighbors did exactly the opposite. I think they opposed us on the measures as well. We'll see what happens next Wednesday.


Wouldn't being able to oppose one party whilst approving another be more feasible to how you're voting now? Wouldn't that allow independents more of a say in our elections? Seems to me it would work much better than the present process, or is there something i'm missing?


The simple fact is, sadly, a vote for an Independent is a wasted vote. None stand the chance of a snowball in hell of winning. They don't get the campaign funds needed to get their message across and we really have no idea what they stand for. I'm sick of the 2 party system as much as everyone else but they effectively quash all other parties and I don't see a way around it.


Sure, i agree the present system is nearly totalitarian and the very fact they dictate to us what's to occur makes some wonder exactly what kind of ideology they actually live under? However, why wouldn't allowing the people to oppose and approve particular candidates, be able to help disadvantage candidates who don't have a major political party backing them? Why wouldn't this kind of system be at least a partial way around their political blockade?


I honestly don't know how to answer that.

User avatar
alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 6:12 pm
Location: damned, or in The dam!

Re: Approval voting?

Postby alpha » Tue Oct 30, 7:11 pm

modern roots wrote:Education is such a money pit but everyone needs insurance and mental health care.


I don't know about 'everyone' needing mental health care, but it should be mandatory for all of our politicians and all of their pay should be forcefully donated to the education of the idiots that voted for them in the first place.

User avatar
modern roots
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 2371
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 7:19 am
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Approval voting?

Postby modern roots » Tue Nov 06, 10:32 pm

Well, I voted today. I voted mostly Republican, but I did vote for 4 Democrats on the ballot. So I split my vote, I didn't just straight party vote.

nemesystem
super poster
super poster
Posts: 944
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 9:50 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Approval voting?

Postby nemesystem » Wed Nov 07, 12:41 am

Lol how's that government kool aid taste?

User avatar
a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 5796
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 12:32 am
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Re: Approval voting?

Postby a bollocks » Wed Nov 07, 1:59 am

nemesystem wrote:Lol how's that government kool aid taste?


What. Did Mittens get your vote?

nemesystem
super poster
super poster
Posts: 944
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 9:50 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Approval voting?

Postby nemesystem » Wed Nov 07, 3:03 am

Nope lol

Even if I believed in voting I wouldn't vote for that carpet bagger. However I'm sure enough mormon lemmings did so either way my vote is pointless.

Go Electoral College!

On a side note I also did NOT vote for my states proposition 2 which would allow for medical cannabis usage. Even though it's a step in the right direction I feel it's also several steps back as now the state has a framework to further fuck over cannabis patients.


Return to “All Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests