June 2011. an Amsterdam vacation

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Sparky
power poster
power poster

Postby Sparky » Thu Jun 16, 12:05 am

great reporting! Liked the Queen ref. Keep riding that bike and fat-bottom girl won't work.

Honestly, I thought you and your mate were two gay males. It was your last trip report that finally corrected that mistaking. No offense. I was suitably embarrassed on my own.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri Jun 17, 8:01 am

rain

woke at 8
(love the clock)

coffee
then dog walk
still raining
so dog's feet need to get washed

raining harder
smoke everything we have left in the apartment
forget indica in the morning and sativa at night

(lol this is an edit Obviously it is the opposite
sativa in the morning - clearly my mind has hazed over!)
we smoke what ever is left
still raining

go play in the bedroom
still raining
go back to sleep

reup around noon
still raining

eat some yogurt , cereal and fruit

decide it's a museum day
but
first we need smoke

we bike in the rain a few blocks away to coffeeshop relax
on binnen oranjestraat

definitely a local shop
not a fancy menu only a few options
the budtender can not say anything about strains
prices are really low in comparison to the more commercial shops

we got their Bio 2 grams 16.50e

rode over to Rokerji near Leidesplein (spelling)
to sample the smoke, before art.
the skies decided to stop misting us with sprinkles and started throwing water balloons in our direction
so it was the perfect time for refuge.

wow. that smoke had us giggling and laughing! Be certain, we are NOT gigglers. we are a product of the 60's and have been smoking since then, so this was a new experience. we will definitely return to sample more. do not be put off with the small selection. the product is A+

coffeeshop clientelle
looking around rokerji, thinking about Barneys and Amnesia, even grey area, for that matter. (can't say about others) but for sure their primary clientelle were clearly tourists. these places would close veery quickly if a weed pass were to be initiated . Amsterdam would lose money for certain. But still it seems much quieter this year. maybe the difference between june and august/september or maybe money is scarce everywhere

so it's kind of a new experience being just another customer in a coffee shop as opposed to being an honored guest. doesn't quite feel like coming 'home' in the same way. weird not to have the familiar faces and warm hugs.

the rain stops - we leave the bikes and walk over to the Van Gogh, haven't stopped by in at least 5 years, so it's time. Damn, he's good enjoyed the spiral nature of his strokes. he sure did produce! his blossom series makes me smile ear to ear everytime, while there is something deeply felt in his last painting of the crows over the fields split by an endless path

we left feeling like we were in another space and time, trippy in fact. amazing how art has the ability to transform. just wanted to walk and look at buildings and antiques.

eventually found ourselves in the leidensplein and decided to sit outdoors at the bulldog and just watch the human circus. quieter than what i think of as normal. the only street performer was a guy who bounced a soccer ball on his head while climbing a light pole - not so creative. no vendors selling art or trinkets. not that i wanted trinkets or art, but.... ya know

watched a couple of old tobacco smokers (lol there are still folks i can call older than moi) anyway
they would toke deeply not exhale, continue in animated conversation take another drag
continue with the conversation while smoke slowly crept out of their mouths like some magical vapor as they spoke
i was transfixed
or maybe it was just the Greenhouse crack

back on the bikes to return to Relax Coffeeshop and acquire 2 more grams of the Bio and 5 grams of the Amnesia haze all for for 59e

the plan was to get back to the apartment for dinner and go out for a well earned foot massage then some pinball. You know what they say about plans. It was the fault of that sun. yes, the sun appeared around 5 (17:00). It was light. time got away from us, got on our bikes rode to the foot massage place and they were closed. it was 10:30. (22:30) we thought it was around 8pm (20:00) the skies began to darken ominously-

instead of
massage and pinball, came back to soak in a hot tub and shower.

ultimately not so impressed with the haze from Relax, but do give points for their bio.
Last edited by worldcitizen1723 on Tue Jun 21, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Red Pleb » Fri Jun 17, 6:03 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:

coffeeshop clientelle
looking around rokerji, thinking about Barneys and Amnesia, even grey area, for that matter. (can't say about others) but for sure their primary clientelle were clearly tourists. these places would close veery quickly if a weed pass were to be initiated . Amsterdam would lose money for certain. But still it seems much quieter this year. maybe the difference between june and august/september or maybe money is scarce everywhere

I spent 3 days in town last week. My preferred early summer trip is generally in May when there is a palpable buzz about the place but i was struck by how quiet the city was. Restaurants, no problem. Bars, empty. Coffeeshops , likewise. Personally , i thought it was wonderful. Enjoying your own take on things.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sat Jun 18, 8:01 am

thanks Red. yeah, i really have never seen it this quiet. except maybe for after 9/11. On one level it's great of course, but on another it's a bit disconcerting. the restaurant thing has been weird. never had the experience of getting the days and times i requested without some amount of shuffling. can't believe this is normal

----------------------------------------------------

woke to hammers and drills
saws banging loud
noise echoing thru the building
looked at the clock (love the clock - an anchor in the void)

it's 7am wtf

that's a lot of noise

great, the building next door is being gutted and renovated
guess 7am is a reasonable time to begin such things in Amsterdam
oh well.

as i lie there in bed trying to decide how i will choose to respond to this mighty rude and unplanned awakening, i realize these are personal construction sounds. i stop being annoyed and just listen: the planks being dragged over the bricks and cobblestones, the saw piercing thru the plywood. the hammer pounding and then being abruptly thrown to the floor. this is nothing like the construction sounds that we have endured over the last year as a 60 story building was being erected across the street. Those were not personal sounds, not sounds that are relate-able, ones that the ear can understand. It was just one very loud blur roar, accompianed by the occassional window rattling explosions when the foundation was being created. Although the window rattling explosions have picked up again as a new subway line is being dug almost under us.

anyway

at least the sun is shining

and

it's Open Garden Days!

http://www.opentuinendagen.nl/

this is something new for us. never have been in Amsterdam at the proper time, and have been here enough times to now find the gardens of interest. : >
Had bought tickets on line before coming. took my print out ticket receipt to the starting point, there was a bit of talk between the two ticket takers a phone call was made. a tall mature woman appeared and motioned me over to her. It seems I did not read the fine print of the receipt very carefully. we were supposed to go to the ticket place near central station to exchange the receipt for real tickets. The lady apologized, but said to wait. About 5 minutes later she reappeared and said that she was permitted to accept my receipt for a ticket. yeah. we don't have to double back to central station

today we saw 10 gardens out of 27. the dog got to see 4 of them
we can see them over three days - but once you've seen it, you can not return
it is amazing what one can do with a small space of nature.

also amazing how fine some of the human population get to live

my favorite was a very elaborate garden, at the far end there were columns with a sermi circular wall behind them. the "wall had big glass doors and huge windows that were covered from "inside" with curtains. (this is not another building - just a wall with windows) there was a very small sign on these huge doors. "do not let the cat into the garden"

all of a sudden i saw this huge fortress, built
to keep the feared cat out.

the gardens behind the canal houses are really magnificent - it's pretty generous of some private individuals to let so many people into their private space

it's a funny club to have joined. All of us doing this open garden walk thing. once you get your ticket you are given a booklet that has a map and all of the garden addresses. sort of like a scavanger hunt. you recognize others with the same maps or hear someone passing by speaking of an address that you are heading towards, it's like the city has become on very large playground and not everyone is playing the game. Once you visit a garden, that numbered square is marked off on your booklet as you make your way to completing the assignment of viewing all of the gardens.

enjoyed some Vanilla Queen at Dutch Flower. very good smoke

half way thru today;s garden choices and before picking up the dog we stopped at Pancakes! in the nines to get their 3 in a pan. OJ, apple pancakes and cappucino. think we waited for those pancakes for t least an hour - i was ready to leave, the mate remained calm (the opposite of our normal dynamic) not sure why it took sooo long. the place is not that big ...but they were well worth the wait

on 29 A willemsstraat in the jordan is an amazing little Italian food shop,Basilico http://www.basilico.nl/
that sell certain handmade pasta dishes along with other prepared foods and handmade pastas. today the mate picked up an amazing lasagna that was a perfect side to my salad and veggies and his fish. Yesterday he bought artichoke ravioli and they even told him how to make the perfect sauce to accompany the ravioli. To top it off they gave him the fresh tarragon that they said was the secret to a perfect sauce. they treat their food like proud parents and their food is amazing! If you get an apartment, or have a place to keep and prepare food, check them out.

stopped by Amnesia before going home

the mate made dinner, I played on the computer. then the three of us strolled over to Greenhouse a little before midnight (how did it get so late???) for some more of their crack

what is a vacation? finding the spots where you like to walk while on the planet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
now that ya think i'm a gurrl
encouragement and appreciation stops?

are ya'all really certain that i'm not a gay guy ?

oh well
no encouragement
no trip reports
that's the deal
so
keep me posting, only if you like : >

kiwi_in_Oz
super power poster
super power poster

Postby kiwi_in_Oz » Sat Jun 18, 8:23 am

what ever gender you are you have the luckiest dog in the world!

since reading the trip report Ive been chanting amsterdam amstersdam amsterdam in my sleep. while i personally found it very funny when I was told my girlfriend claims she hasn't had a good nights sleep ever since it started!

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Jun 18, 8:30 am

Only a woman would demand attention in return for information!

Peace, Des.

HighCountry
power poster
power poster

Postby HighCountry » Sat Jun 18, 3:16 pm

Figured out gender from your Aug '10 trip reports. Some little hint or clue.

I enjoy your writing style, easy reading that transports one directly to Mokum. Wish I was there.

Keep 'em coming. Cheers.

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Sat Jun 18, 4:28 pm

Quality reporting WC...keep it up!

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Sat Jun 18, 4:29 pm

Yeah, I've enjoyed reading it, as long as you are not a 'gay guy', then I'll continue...

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sat Jun 18, 4:31 pm

Another good 'un. NYC and Amsterdam...you guys (figurative, lol) are very lucky! Have a big dose of encouragement. You are in the running, nee far ahead, for the Last Hamlet award.

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Sat Jun 18, 4:40 pm

I don't care if you both have three scrotums nice reports deary!

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sat Jun 18, 4:43 pm

shezzuk1 wrote:Yeah, I've enjoyed reading it, as long as you are not a 'gay guy', then I'll continue...

You really have some issues there Shezzby....This person is obviously a gay militant Islamist. Sorry you can no longer read these fine reports.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Sun Jun 19, 12:44 am

worldcitizen1723 wrote:we bike in the rain a few blocks away to coffeeshop relax on binnen oranjestraat definitely a local shop

in comparison, relax always reminded me of a little redneck country bar, i liked it! the oranje restaurant on the other corner is worth a stop, has a interesting poster collection also... ty!, have enjoyed your writings

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Jun 19, 8:08 am

smokedpeppers wrote:
worldcitizen1723 wrote:we bike in the rain a few blocks away to coffeeshop relax on binnen oranjestraat definitely a local shop

in comparison, relax always reminded me of a little redneck country bar, i liked it! the oranje restaurant on the other corner is worth a stop, has a interesting poster collection also... ty!, have enjoyed your writings

yeah, good description of relax, i agree. definitely a different vibe that other places. We were also noticing that when we first started visiting Amsterdam, all the shops felt like little hippie hangouts. Not anymore, that era is disolving.

the little food place across the street is quite fine. there's another little place called Green Food on the corner of lindengracht and Gouldbloemdwarstraat where they sell prepared food to take home, haven't tried it yet, but also looks good too.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Jun 19, 8:10 am

yeah kiwi he is one lucky dog he got himself a damn good gig this time around
he found the right human caretakers, that's for sure.
(he actually came to us thru a dream - but that's a totally different story!)

thanks everyone for the encouragement -
without receiving some feedback it's like pissing in the wind
(lol or so I've told)

anyway definitely like talking to yourself when no one else speaks up

----

day 8

eyes open
no construction noise
it's light outside
saturday?
oh
rain. lots of heavy rain
close eyes

back to sleep

try again
open eyes

still raining

kind of damp and cold in the apartment
maybe i will appreciate the hot sun when i return home

was sitting on a bench the other day
it was in front of a closed store. the bench said privy on it

i sat with the bikes while the mate went into a wine shop
after a while a tall well dressed woman in a very tailored suit and an emblem pin on the lapel
approached me. figured that she was some form of tourist police and was gonna tell me to get
off the bench. instead she is french, lost and needs to find a place to get cash on her credit card. I shrug my shoulders in the universal wtf do i know sign, she looked crestfallen, so I point across the street to the Albert Heijn thinking maybe she could find help there, as my arm points in the general direction of the store, we both see a bank directly next to the grocery store. she is delighted and i got to help, even when i thought i was of no help at all

still not dressed
it is raining hard

looks really windy outside
the trees in the backyard are wildly bending and twisting
the clouds are thick

BUT we're in Amsterdam, so it's

time to start the day.

after a neighborhood stroll with the dog.

I thought the first thing on the agenda was my bike
somehow last night when I went to lock it up bike the key broke inside the lock (that back lock that wraps around the tire)
it just disintegrated as i began to turn it. thankfully it was in the open position, so my bike was moveable.

btw the local dog people just say toots to me in the morning, no formal toots seens.

but as soon as we hit the street after returning the dog, the skies opened up, the mate said he was hungry so we went to Barney's. what can I say, I know many of you speak i of that place with disdain. but they really make some very good soups. Todays special: potato and spinach soup served up with a huge chunk of fresh sour dough bread. the mate had the BLT with fried egg exchanging out the bacon for old Amsterdam cheese. From there I made my annual pilgrimage to the sock store. My sock fetish began a decade or more ago. Dutch stripped over the knee socks are my thing. can't function without them. (well, that's pushing it) - but thy have become one of my eccentricities. every year I buy 12 pair, to insure a supply for the coming year.

speaking of foot coverings
i have red shoes

in NYC, they look dark brown or rusty autumn burnt reddish. subtle color to go with my black wardrobe

in Amsterdam, these same shoes are bright red. no kidding. ruby slipper red. shockingly red!

i've begun to wonder if maybe these shoes are some type of mood ring. I will pay closer attention in the future. ; >

after socks more oil and vinegar from check your oil. this time oil from toscane region (one of my favorites - you have to really go out of your way to find good oil in NYC, it's such a shame)

head over to the market (naturally) It's saturday, and the noordemarket is in full swing. stock up on fruit and veggies and bring the stuff back. the mate goes off to buy fish and i go to take my bike to get it fixed. one small problem, the mates bike is chained to mine. i'm not going anywhere, come back to play with the dog some more and wait.

the bike shop was simple they apologized for the inconvenience, they did not blame me or insinuate that i somehow mishandled the bike, just asked if i wanted another. (what a question?!) then off we went. there are gardens to see! After 4 gardens we stopped on princengracht at tops (?) coffeeshop with out door seating. don't know this place, had our Dr. grinspoon from barneys, got some water and engaged in a mood alteration. after 3 joints then 3 more gardens. this open garden thing is a mix of museum gardens and private gardens. I likes the garden of the french cooking school as it was all herbs and gooseberries and strawberries, the tomatoes were beginning to show themselves, while the kumquats looked ready to pick. Still amazed that people would invite strangers to traipse thru their homes and into their backyards to show off their gardens. the controlled and spiraling hedges and the amount of private sitting spaces that can be created in these gardens was definitely thought provoking. Oh and the skies cleared and the sun came out making it a gorgeous afternoon

since we were in the area went to play pinball at mellow yellow
liking it there. finally after a week am starting to get my pinball chops back
was able to beat the mate enough times to become the pubha
(gotta win 2 out of 3 to challenge the winner then gotta win another 2 out of 3 to become pubha)

nice bike ride across town. got the dog and walked over to 137 on brouwersgracht to smoke a couple joints outside with the dog. he only got to see big dogs pass by, no medium size ones. the big ones were not as interested in meeting him. so there was no one to play with. he lets out a little sigh type wine when another dog passes by him and does not stop to say high.

ate simply at the apartment
drank too much wine and fell asleep before i meant too. woke for a moment, the mate waving a couple of buds in my face saying this is all we have left - should i get more? I closed my eyes and muttered it's all good.... : > and fell back into a very deep sleep.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sun Jun 19, 1:01 pm

Pinball, eh? I bet I'd kick your arse!

Peace, Des.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Jun 19, 3:12 pm

des wrote:Pinball, eh? I bet I'd kick your arse!

Peace, Des.

the way i've been playin - no doubt about it!

YuckyDog1
super poster
super poster

Postby YuckyDog1 » Mon Jun 20, 12:00 am

good report WC.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Mon Jun 20, 1:42 am

Great report. Looks like you have done almost everything except a ganja tour. Have fun...

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Mon Jun 20, 1:50 am

Do you plan to hit Haarlem while there?

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Mon Jun 20, 8:16 am

yeah boney - Haarlem is on the agenda

MHD - we got our own ganja tour going on : >

day 9
oh no gonna be hitting those double digits soon! : <
i always say i need to take more time and never do.
well, not quite true this trip is three days longer than last year
maybe a month next year!

guess what?
it's raining
the wind is blowing
the trees are bending
it must be morning in Amsterdam! : >

there is no other place on the planet where i would smile at such weather!

no banging or pounding - but geez i am again awake at 7 am
wish i would know enough to sleep longer
close the eyes an hour more

still mercilessly pouring

last month I kept reading about the drought in the Netherlands and that the rivers were at a 90 year low
lol. i believe this drought thing is being corrected while we are here - all the rain that did not happen earlier in the year has arrived
to coincide with our visit.

the mate went out for a pot run - he finished what was left last night while i slept.
it is a little after 10 am. the rain is coming down in sheets, the sky is dark. Actually so dark in the apartment i need lights on (and there are windows everywhere) I am patiently trusting that this day will be like the others and clear in the early afternoon. Although, really, these are the darkest skies we have encountered thus far.

got some friends coming in from London tonite. Actually friends from the states who were in london for some kind of reunion - when they found out we were gonna be in Amsterdam, they changed plans and made a three day detour to connect with us. So tonite we will eat at Proef (first time for all of us)
monday at DeKas http://www.restaurantdekas.nl/
and tuesday at Toscanini, http://restauranttoscanini.nl/
one of my absolute favorite places.

i hear Bussia is very good, but i seem to always have have an to excuse not to go there

okay, the sky is lightened from dark blackish grey to just grey. i think it is time to prepare to leave the apartment.....
just in time the mate returned with Hawaiian snow and neville haze from Greenhouse
guess i will have to sit down and taste test before anything else is done...

there are still 10 more gardens to get to before the day is done. this garden thing has been interesting. would not plan a trip around it, but if you were here when it is happening, i think it is worth the investment. Especially if you are a curious type and like to see what is behind the canal houses and want an excuse to have a focused wander around town.

okay
a brief show of sun
followed by fast moving clouds
i sort of feel like a surfer today - gonna catch this wave ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
see ya later
rothflmao
(appears the hawaiian snow must have triggered some deep connection to the sun and sea. some sort of plant magic or plant dna as i do not surf nor do i usually have surfing images bouncing around in my head - but gonna ride the waves today!)

--------

great day
saw more of the gardens. there were 27 ( one decided not to open) so, actually 26 (hey! the promo said at least 30 gardens!! I think I was jipped!)
we did not get to two of them due to time constraints (need to meet our friends at 5 at Barney's and thought it would be nice to clean ourselves up a bit) I'm done and the mate is showering.

stopped at stix a couple of times today to refuel (a number of todays gardens were in that area)
talked to the budtender about the wedpass - he like everyone else we have spoke with, just laughed and said never in Amsterdam, maybe in some of the border towns. He said the news/media has it all wrong. it's really funny, can't seem to find ANYONE in Amsterdam as worried about it as many channelites are.

WOW
found a new pinball machine at coffeeshop sevilla (another one I had passed but had no need to stop in, but the pinball machine in the window is NEW, cuz we would never have missed that!) They are on Utrechtesraat down the street from Stix or around the corner on Rembrandt splein it's a new machine, smaller in size than a regulation one - more electronics than the standard, but great fun. the shop is clean and comfortable. AND it is the ONLY 5 ball machine that we have run across. yeah it's a euro a game, but one does not mind as much when you get 5 balls.

btw smoked the snow and haze all day from greenhouse. Save your money the Hawaiian snow was cheaper and to our sensibility better than the haze.
----
took the dog over to barney to meet the friends, brought him back to the apartment after an hour or so
and off to:

Proef

interesting
walked into the place- it's a really small building in westerpark, very rustic. not very crowded (understatement). we had reservations for 8 pm - the entire time we were there 16 people including the 4 of us were the only patrons. they gave us a choice of soup or salad and read the menu. it sounded uninspired, the vegetarian option was quiche? we came all the way out here in the rain (yeah it's raining tonight) and i am getting soup and salad and quiche??? good grief, my friends have been up since 5am traveling to get here - and this is the place i drag them to??!! i feel like apologizing. everyone is just trying to make the best of it , they sense my dread. first off, we all wanted both the soup and the salad.. OMG it was the most amazing soup any of us have ever tasted, without exageration: Fennel and mustard, served in jar with little spoons (helped you savor the soup even more, th flavor was f**king amazing!). the salad was awesome with organic goat cheese, beets, pears, sunflower seed and mache that must have been pulled from the ground hours before and pansy's. then we were presented with a "plank" of the most incredibly cooked veggies you can imagine. asparagus, artichoke, onions, beets, polenta, leeks, cooked tomatoes, a potato fritter type thing and a couple different sauces. (each plank was to be shared by two. then you have your main course - we had two vegetarians that had the quiche and the other two had white fish on barley. the quiche was like no quiche i have ever eaten (and the chickens were outside to prove it's freshness!). the food was both simple and magnificent. we shared a creme brule and a bottle of wine. it came to about 50e a person. If you are into food this place should definitely be put on your list.

walked back to the apartment, the rain had stopped. lovely evening. the walk thru the park was the perfect after dinner activity

dropped the friends at their apartment, grabbed our bikes came back, still no foot massage and it's too late to even try........
Last edited by worldcitizen1723 on Mon Jun 20, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Mon Jun 20, 9:21 am

Two questions ...

Can we have a pic of the dog?

Why don't you get your partner to give you a foot massage?

Peace, Des.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Mon Jun 20, 3:12 pm

How was the wine? Thanks for another good one!

padichar
power poster
power poster

wonderful amsterdam crawl.

Postby padichar » Tue Jun 21, 8:57 am

World Citizen,

too bad our path won't cross anyway, have you been eating at all in vegetarian restaurant?, I am going to be in the dam soon and bringing a gluten free friend so no bread, no pasta just veggies, fruit and rice.... He he the healthy diet.... maybe that will stop me from febo when the munchies hit and they will hit big time.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and thanks for keeping us posted. Wetting my appetite ! Dam you can sample your share.( gran ganja tour)

take it easy :-)

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Tue Jun 21, 8:59 am

Des, i'll work on the picture thing
as for the partner and the feet - he does 5 minutes a foot and is done
while at the chinese foot massage your feet are soaked in a hot herbal brew while your neck and shoulders, arms and hands are massaged.
then each foot and leg gets about 20 minutes. it is quite heavenly. even though i am a fit, well exercised sort the amount of biking, stair climbing and walking in Amsterdam still takes it's toll

Bo, the wine: it was a cote de rhone (it was their house wine)
was the only red wine they had. (whites give me a headache, reds no problem - go figure)

wow sun

go back to sleep
still sun

first morning i am ready to sleep
and we have agreed to meet our friends at 9am
(they were going to come over to the apartment)
we pushed ourselves out of bed by 8 to waken and tidy up the apartment.

9am on the dot the phone rings and they are now doing laundry and will be here by 10.
huh
could of slept

but
the sun is still shining
maybe it will be good day.

what we do is up to me
(these things always end up being my responsibility)

so the choice was vondel park and the outdoor Art Exhibit: Art Zuid

if you are into combining biking and outdoor art
and are in Amsterdam between now and the end of August
you might want to check out it out
http://www.artzuid.nl/index_en.php

58 pieces
some really excellent (like Dali's elephant)
and some, a bit questionable

also explored the neighborhood
some grand homes, delightful design. pure eye candy.
If you are uncertain where this exhibit is located: it is basically across the street from the infamous hotel that John and Yoko staged their sleep in for peace.

stopped at a coffeeshop on Princengracht, where we could sit outside - next to Tops, only because they had fresh orange juice, had our own smoke. got the THC levels balanced we decided to split. we needed to take care of the dog and they actually wanted to climb the westerkerk tower.

took the dog over to 137. (sure do miss Paradox as the coffeeshop we could simply roll into from the apartment) anyway we can sit outside at 137, soak up the sun and get a little study time.

came back to the apartment, 90 minutes before we leave for de kas
mate takes a nap,
i take some time to write this report

our friends are supposed to come over around 6
(they have a sweet apartment on Haarlemstraat)
i am ready, like a kid. coat on, shoes on, bag with warmer vest, umbrella, and hat packed
mate is half dressed
i say, i can't wait
i have to go downstairs, and wait outside
down the stairs
open the front door
and there are our friends riding by on their bikes!

btw it's been the FIRST no rain day!!

de kas
glorious bike ride thru Amsterdam
up thru the Nines to Dam Square
cut thru the red light district
fly by Rembrandt's house
the botanical gardens
the zoo
past osterpark
thru neighborhoods that make you think, clearly you are in the wrong direction
then there it is
an oasis
in the middle of a park there stands the green house that is de kas

this was our third time there. And by far the best. The menu changes weekly all food is grown on their farm outside of Amsterdam
it was hard to top Proef, but this did it.

You eat what you are served, you make no choices.

for starters

we had asparagus with crunchy onions
a fresh bean and morel combo with a hollandaise sauce (this does not sound so great, but it was delightfully delicious
I had some form of eggplant terrine and the fish eaters had a raw herring (that they were worried that they would not like - but surprisingly they loved)

main dishes were white fish and a chicken choice
i had a huge artichoke stuffed with squash and greens

desert was a chocolate mousse with cherries (and pits) with a white sauce and a crunchy chocolate caramel thingy. The mate was finally happy with a de kas desert.

we did a 4 wine pairing with the meal. (they did mine all in reds!) I must admit I have never done this. Their staff is so amazingly educated in terms of the food they serve and the wines they recommend. They have a great sommelier. what an absolute treat! it was an A+ meal. cost wise it came to about 75e per person (pretty reasonable considering the wines) . Again, if food is something you can get excited about, this should definitely be on your priority list

took a walk in the park after the meal for a digestive aid toke

got on the bikes
geez i am driving like a drunk driver
having a really difficult time keeping the bike in a straight line
i am weaving as bad as any drunk i have seen walking.

eventually i get coordinated. with so many motor scooters rushing by, i had better get it together or risk bodily harm.

it's 11:30 so we go to Amnesia to sit outside for one last smoke (in the outside world)

what a day!

I am well fed, well exercised, and quite high
ahhh

can't i just live here???

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: wonderful amsterdam crawl.

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Tue Jun 21, 9:37 am

padichar wrote:World Citizen,

too bad our path won't cross anyway, have you been eating at all in vegetarian restaurant?, I am going to be in the dam soon and bringing a gluten free friend so no bread, no pasta just veggies, fruit and rice.... He he the healthy diet.... maybe that will stop me from febo when the munchies hit and they will hit big time.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and thanks for keeping us posted. Wetting my appetite ! Dam you can sample your share.( gran ganja tour)

take it easy :-)

Hey Padi - I am a vegetarian have been since 1979. Bolhoed is simple and easy. here's a good list
http://www.happycow.net/europe/netherla ... rdam/#1003
most restaurants actually have vegetarian options on the menu, if they do not, they all are very happy to put something together such as veggies, and potatoes or veggies and rice. Also easy to pick up fruit at the organic grocery store Eko----- (I keep forgetting the name). Your friend would love the salad and soup at Proef!

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Tue Jun 21, 2:12 pm

Wow, WC...you being in Amsterdam and reporting is the next best thing to me being there! (although, admittedly a distant second, lol). I'm not really too much into the fine dining thing (mainly cost), but I do love the bruin cafes. Do you ever frequent any of those?

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Tue Jun 21, 3:03 pm

You certainly know how to have a good time, WC1723!

I'll bear your restaurant recommendations in mind the next time I take the missus for a special occasion!

Peace, Des.

JK
power poster
power poster

Postby JK » Tue Jun 21, 3:08 pm

BIG *sigh*....Goddamn I miss Amsterdam. Thanks for really great reports WC.....been jonsing for the Dam big time lately

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Wed Jun 22, 12:23 am

worldcitizen1723 wrote:

my friends have been up since 5am traveling to get here - and this is the place i drag them to??!! i feel like apologizing.........

I think your friends have the best possible cicerone.

Enjoy the rest of the trip!

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”