Swin's diary day 3

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Swin's diary day 3

Postby Swin » Fri Jun 22, 7:55 am

Sadly I didn't make the pre-breakfast Jordaan walk yesterday (Thursday) - felt too hung over so I didn't venture forth till about 9 wandering down Leidsegracht (a very beautiful and underrated canal in my opinion) via the flower market (Mrs Swin wants giant amaryllis bulbs - however you spell it!) to a cafe on Kloveniersburgwal. The one on the corner of I think Staalstraat (?) where the British Consul met the (only non corrupt) Dutch policeman in the Dalziel and Pascoe episode
Anyway from there I took a walk along the Oudeschans and the tiny cross streets between there and Nieuwmarkt / Waag- really nice and quite attractive it reminded me of the Jordaan in parts and I don't know why I've never been there before. But then that's the wonderful thing about Amsterdam, there are always new things to find and see however many times you've been. For example I had never noticed before that the street names around the Waag were also in Chinese. Yes I know now it's been like that for years but I just never noticed, I guess I never had to look up at the signs.
Anyway after a stroll through the alleyway where the second hand book sellers are between Kloveniersburgwal and Oudezijds Achterburgwal (has anyone ever found more than two or three open? Its always quiet and just the cookery books on sale when I'm there) and a struggle across the mess that is the Rokin (how long is that work going to take?) I decided to visit the Historical Museum, another place, despite all my visits I had still not seen. I thought it was excellent if a little difficult to navigate however I am now qualified to lead parties through the maze at Hampton Court blindfold and pissed as a rat.
I met Anne just after 5 at the Hoppe (thanks Anne for coming out to meet me - it was pouring with rain - it was nice of you) we had a few beers in the Hoppe then moved on to the Gollem and generally put the world to rights politically and every other way as well as discussing Amsterdam of course. It was a lovely evening but I wish Anne had dragged me away when she left - I fell into bad company after that and next recall standing in the night shop in Wolvenstraat trying to buy cheese sandwiches and being surprised that they had no bread rolls left at one in the morning!
Feel like death (again) today and have to walk to CS as I am going to Delft.
Another message from the graffiti artist, not half as profound as the first but aimed at all languages- 'ít's time to explode a boob ' with the two 'o's in boob close together and a nipple drawn on each for those nationalities not understanding what ''boobs'are
Last edited by Swin on Tue Jul 03, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Fri Jun 22, 3:01 pm

Sorry to hear you didn't get hold of a cheese sandwich! Anyway, I had a great time too, and I'm glad I finally know that I had actually been to the Gollem before, but just never knew its name, haha.

Any news on the title of the Glasgow detective? I asked Mum but she had forgotten as well!

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Fri Jun 22, 4:48 pm

Yes Anne its Taggart and the original character was Jim 'there's been another muuurrrda' Taggart - hope you find the interpreter you need to enjoy it!

Anne
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Anne » Fri Jun 22, 5:22 pm

Taggart! I knew that, really! Haha. So how was Delft?

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Fri Jun 22, 8:44 pm

Absolutely beautiful as always and the new Vermeer centre is really worth a visit

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

Postby SlyCrayon » Sat Nov 17, 11:39 am

I was only really curious to see Delft after seeing the painting of it in Mauritshuis, Den Haag. It's not just there for the china; the city looks like a beautiful little old harbour. Nice report Swin; missed it last summer--I was there a bit after you. Cheers!

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sat Nov 17, 5:40 pm

Lovely Delft isa always on my NL agenda. It is quaint and peaceful. I usually grab a snack of fried fish at this vismarkt near the main square. I made a point of finding Vermeer's burial plaque in the Nieuwekerk. One of the Williams of Orange is buried there too.

peace

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Thu Nov 22, 2:14 pm

Actually I have a very nice , funny story about Delft. About three (or four?) years ago I went to see the memorial tablets to the Kings and queens of the House of Orange in the Nieuwkerk on the square. They are of course buried in the crypt but their memorials are in the church floor (Willem I's is quite spectacular)
Anyway there was a display detailing the history / life etc of the monarchs (including Queen Emma who I was particlarly interested in) and an information point for assistance / questions.
I foolishly asked where Juliana was buried (believing her dead having not heard of her for years) The lovely girl leaned forward and whispered, in perfect English of course, 'Actually sir she hasn't arrived here yet but we expect her at any time'
Superb 'gentle' humour but sadly it came true just a short while later.....

RealityCzech
power poster
power poster

Re: Swin's diary day 3

Postby RealityCzech » Thu Nov 22, 10:02 pm

Swin wrote:Sadly I didn't make the pre-breakfast Jordaan walk yesterday (Thursday) - felt too hung over so I didn't venture forth till about 9 wandering down Leidsegracht (a very beautiful and underrated canal in my opinion) via the flower market (Mrs Swin wants giant amaryllis bulbs - however you spell it!) to a cafe on Kloveniersburgwal. The one on the corner of I think Staalstraat (?) where the British Consul met the (only non corrupt) Dutch policeman in the Dalziel and Pascoe episode
Anyway from there I took a walk along the Oudeschans and the tiny cross streets between there and Nieuwmarkt / Waag- really nice and quite attractive it reminded me of the Jordaan in parts and I don't know why I've never been there before. But then that's the wonderful thing about Amsterdam, there are always new things to find and see however many times you've been. For example I had never noticed before that the street names around the Waag were also in Chinese. Yes I know now it's been like that for years but I just never noticed, I guess I never had to look up at the signs.
Anyway after a stroll through the alleyway where the second hand book sellers are between Kloveniersburgwal and Oudezijds Achterburgwal (has anyone ever found more than two or three open? Its always quiet and just the cookery books on sale when I'm there) and a struggle across the mess that is the Rokin (how long is that work going to take?) I decided to visit the Historical Museum, another place, despite all my visits I had still not seen. I thought it was excellent if a little difficult to navigate however I am now qualified to lead parties through the maze at Hampton Court blindfold and pissed as a rat.
I met Anne just after 5 at the Hoppe (thanks Anne for coming out to meet me - it was pouring with rain - it was nice of you) we had a few beers in the Hoppe then moved on to the Gollem and generally put the world to rights politically and every other way as well as discussing Amsterdam of course. It was a lovely evening but I wish Anne had dragged me away when she left - I fell into bad company after that and next recall standing in the night shop in Wolvenstraat trying to buy cheese sandwiches and being surprised that they had no bread rolls left at one in the morning!
Feel like death (again) today and have to walk to CS as I am going to Delft.
Another message from the graffiti artist, not half as profound as the first but aimed at all languages- 'ít's time to explode a boob ' with the two 'o's in boob close together and a nipple drawn on each for those nationalities not understanding what ''boobs'are

Swin, the Chinese street name signs have not been up all that long. The first ones were placed in May 2005 and the others have come later. The Nieuwmarkt is San kwong cheong and the Zeedijk is Sin tak kai. Den Haag has also added Chinese street name signs. This is an attempt to add a bit of a "Chinatown" to Amsterdam like in other cities around the world with large Chinese communities.

Peter Stuyvesant
power poster
power poster

stinking rich

Postby Peter Stuyvesant » Thu Nov 22, 11:17 pm

Swin wrote: They are of course buried in the crypt but their memorials are in the church floor (Willem I's is quite spectacular)

Which reminds me of the meaning behind the phrase "stinking rich"...

Poor people were buried outside the church. The rich were interred inside, in crypts, and when someone in their family died and was to be buried, the stone was rolled away and there was an awful smell - hence the term "stinking rich."

X
X
X

Peter Stuyvesant
power poster
power poster

The Hague

Postby Peter Stuyvesant » Thu Nov 22, 11:32 pm

Swin, thx for your tripreport!

Den Haag or 's Gravenhage is indeed also worth a visit:

Here are some nice pictures:
http://home-2.worldonline.nl/~aarde01