July Trip Report

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

mint fresh Julian
power poster
power poster

July Trip Report

Postby mint fresh Julian » Tue Jul 24, 9:24 am

Ok, so I don't post much here these days, but felt compelled to after noticing a change for the worse with service in A'dam.

And so to Puccini (in Staalstraat) for breakfast, on our first day. Whilst I've gone here for years and loved the nosh, the total ignorance of the staff stunned the missus & I. Wasn't even busy and we waited, say, ten minutes before noticing that the staff were more intent on serving the passing trade outside who were sitting down and getting served right away. We left and headed for Cafe Dantzig over the bridge. Big, sprawling cafe, again half-empty. Took ages to get served, and 40 minutes for brekky to arrive, as they'd forgot to cook it.

My fav Italian gaff - Casa di David - has taken a nosedive, too, over the last year or so. The once efficient service is less than bog-standard, now, and the food is VERY fast, the 'fresh' linguine, not being fresh and was, in fact, tagliatelle on the two times we went.

Also, we were, for the first time, part of the uninvited afternoon guest appearing in our hotel room scenario at the Golden Tulip. The rather smart Bar/FOH chappie let himself into our room one day on the premise he was here to fix our tv; we hadn't reported it. Interestingly, he had a wad of roomcards in one hand, and was probably paying a visit to other rooms under other, various excuses. When we heard another couple complain about the SAME thing to reception, we felt we had to, as well.

And finally, KLM staff were absolute uncaring cnuts at Schipol when they refused to sort out a taxi for my wife who, travelling separately from me, had her flight delayed by 2hrs and would get into Edinburgh way after all the Citylink buses had gone.

A shame, really, and a disappointing trip, mitigated only by the perennially attentive and excellent bartender Eugene at the American. May his light burn long and bright.

Planning-A-Trip
super power poster
super power poster

Re: July Trip Report

Postby Planning-A-Trip » Wed Jul 25, 1:33 am

mint fresh Julian wrote:Ok, so I don't post much here these days, but felt compelled to after noticing a change for the worse with service in A'dam.

And so to Puccini (in Staalstraat) for breakfast, on our first day. Whilst I've gone here for years and loved the nosh, the total ignorance of the staff stunned the missus & I. Wasn't even busy and we waited, say, ten minutes before noticing that the staff were more intent on serving the passing trade outside who were sitting down and getting served right away. We left and headed for Cafe Dantzig over the bridge. Big, sprawling cafe, again half-empty. Took ages to get served, and 40 minutes for brekky to arrive, as they'd forgot to cook it.

My fav Italian gaff - Casa di David - has taken a nosedive, too, over the last year or so. The once efficient service is less than bog-standard, now, and the food is VERY fast, the 'fresh' linguine, not being fresh and was, in fact, tagliatelle on the two times we went.

Also, we were, for the first time, part of the uninvited afternoon guest appearing in our hotel room scenario at the Golden Tulip. The rather smart Bar/FOH chappie let himself into our room one day on the premise he was here to fix our tv; we hadn't reported it. Interestingly, he had a wad of roomcards in one hand, and was probably paying a visit to other rooms under other, various excuses. When we heard another couple complain about the SAME thing to reception, we felt we had to, as well.

And finally, KLM staff were absolute uncaring cnuts at Schipol when they refused to sort out a taxi for my wife who, travelling separately from me, had her flight delayed by 2hrs and would get into Edinburgh way after all the Citylink buses had gone.

A shame, really, and a disappointing trip, mitigated only by the perennially attentive and excellent bartender Eugene at the American. May his light burn long and bright.

Egads. Sorry it was a downer.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Jul 25, 2:36 pm

yeah, but what about the weed and hookers?

mint fresh Julian
power poster
power poster

Postby mint fresh Julian » Wed Jul 25, 4:19 pm

well, i don't smoke and I'm sure madame would like me diving off with the RLD girls. Incidentally, this was the first time we never took a trip up there. will just have no make sure next time it's a good one.

Do you know that those cheapskates KLM don't offer any inflight grub anymore? All I got from Edinburgh - Denmark-AMS was a Tuc biscuit!!!

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Jul 25, 6:13 pm

mint fresh Julian wrote:Do you know that those cheapskates KLM don't offer any inflight grub anymore? All I got from Edinburgh - Denmark-AMS was a Tuc biscuit!!!

Fly them to NYC then to Amsterdam - they will feed you seven times each way!

mint fresh Julian
power poster
power poster

Postby mint fresh Julian » Sun Jul 29, 12:41 pm

Birdman wrote:
mint fresh Julian wrote:Do you know that those cheapskates KLM don't offer any inflight grub anymore? All I got from Edinburgh - Denmark-AMS was a Tuc biscuit!!!

Odd. I've just come back from Hamburg via AMS with KLM. On the Hamburg-AMS trip we were served the half'n'half sandwich; on the AMS-EDI trip it was the biscuit, again. HAve KLM got something against the Danes and the Brits to offer them a 'wafer' as an inflight meal. Weird.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sun Jul 29, 1:23 pm

mint fresh Julian wrote:
Birdman wrote:

Odd. I've just come back from Hamburg via AMS with KLM. On the Hamburg-AMS trip we were served the half'n'half sandwich; on the AMS-EDI trip it was the biscuit, again. HAve KLM got something against the Danes and the Brits to offer them a 'wafer' as an inflight meal. Weird.

Maybe they think the Brits are overweight enough as it is?

:-)

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Times Change

Postby LastHamlet » Tue Jul 31, 5:19 pm

It seems a lot of things are changing, and what a shame that can be.
Seemingly, AMS and the airlines are changing, all at once.
If not for Eugene, there may not be any examples of the old ways.
Sorry for the bad time Mint Fresh Julian, hopefully this will not be a complete sign of the changin' times... Else, "we better start swimming, or we'll sink like a stone."
All The Best Regards,
LH

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”