three days in Amsterdam

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

aleksey
new
new

three days in Amsterdam

Postby aleksey » Wed Jul 04, 10:26 am

Last Septembre I and my girlfriend have visited Amsterdam, and I would like to share some of my impressions.
it was a very short visiting Amsterdam, therefore we did not made an especial purposes - the main thing for us was to look city.. and just to try to feel its atmosphere..."the smell of marihuana" - first what we have found :) just because we start our visit from Central station...and DAMRAK street...our hotel was on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal street not far from DAM square...and that place is very nice...it was pleasant to wake up in the hotel under sounds of bells from the Dam square...
all our walks we have made by foot - we tried to see not tourist Amsterdam. Before the trip we have read about Amsterdam much, about its history, also maps and plans...so we were guided well...
I was amazed with the originality about lay-out of city, the organization of channels... and also architecture - narrow streets and falling walls...

last year was Rembrandt's anniversary, and there were many posters with his portrait and phrase: "400, moi?" :). We have visited Rijksmuseum. The main objective was the painting known as 'the Night Watch'. also we have visited Van Gogh's museum, and his famous yellow 'sunflowers seeds'. (as I known the same 'sunflowers' presented in London gallery...but I nevere was there).

People of Amsterdam are very pleasant, and it is shown not only in shops. We were in cafe where real inhabitants spend time often...It was unforgettable, friendly climate.. and when we floated on the tourist ferry on night canals, we saw an amusing picture: many people float on kayaks, parents with children. Also it was fun to see youngs mens singing songs or hymns in boats floating.

people of Amsterdam used bicycles almost everything or the majority...onece we meet a pregnant women on bicycle and womens with small children... healthy rhythm of the nation...and as I could to see...cars not a problem for bicycle - drivers manage politely with bicyclists.

Most of all we liked JORDAAN (there we saw very old houses kept with 17 centuries), also Southern and Northern canels. There we have not met any tourist...Barges are interesting feature of Amsterdam, and it is very a pity to me that we could not communicated with people who lives on the barge...Often there were no curtains at windows of houses...Certainly we did not break laws of a private life :) but we could see interesting interiors from streets...

one evening (2th of Septembre) we have sitting in a bar on Singel channel..I thumbed through a magazine where I have found the article about Madonna and her World tour...I did not understand sense of clause (because of language), but I have understood that - Madonna in Amsterdam with 'Confessions tour' 3rd and 4 of September...We have talked with employees of the bar - they are very lovely people, and they have told us, that all tickets are sold, but they have given us advice to try to buy tickets in the stadium before to the concert...also they have explained in detail how to get to the ArenaA stadium.
next day we have arrived to the ArenaA stadium for 2 hours before to the beginning. In ten minutes of searches we have found the person who has sold to us two tickets for real money (100 euros for everyone) He has very surprised - shocked having learned that we arrived from Russia, Krasnoyarsk...We thought that he has deceived us, because the ticket costs 96 euros...:) So, we have seen Madonna...and it's Confessions tour.

half year letter we have returned to Holland: this time we came to there special for tulips fields...we have taken a car..and driven from Essen (Germany)..but unfortunately we have found tulips - we was late...it was the beggining of May...( that's why we have a bad mood and didn't go to Amsterdam...now I'm pity about it...

So, sorry for my bad English..I don't have a good practic in writing...
you can see photo galleries of Amsterdam and Holland on my web site.
http://www.aleksrom.net/Eurotrip2006-Amsterdam.html
and photos: http://www.aleksrom.net/AmsterdamGall-1.html
Thanks.
Last edited by aleksey on Wed Jul 04, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Planning-A-Trip
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Planning-A-Trip » Wed Jul 04, 3:20 pm

Great trip report, and welcome to the forums!

Don't worry about your English, I could understand it just fine.

well done.

aleksey
new
new

Postby aleksey » Wed Jul 04, 3:31 pm

Planning-A-Trip wrote:Great trip report, and welcome to the forums!

Don't worry about your English, I could understand it just fine.

well done.

Ok, thanks! ;)

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Jul 04, 5:00 pm

The bells were probably from Neuwiekerk or Westerkerk, very charming indeed. It did not take you long to fall in love with the Jordaan, Would you believe that they once considered leveling this area to rebuild? Nice report. I hope you return to our favorite city for a longer stay someday. There is so much more.

Ñ?паÑ?ибо,

мир

badfrog
regular
regular

Postby badfrog » Wed Jul 04, 6:30 pm

Thanks for the report,it sounds like you had a great time.And I would also like to say that your English is just fine,I did not have any problem understanding your report.Cheers!

aleksey
new
new

Postby aleksey » Thu Jul 05, 3:16 am

BOhannon wrote:Ñ?паÑ?ибо,

мир

you're welcome ;)

BOhannon wrote:It did not take you long to fall in love with the Jordaan, Would you believe that they once considered leveling this area to rebuild?

Certainly, we have not spended time enough in Jordaan, but what we have seen - was pleasant...and there are we have found buildings with a memorable tablet about old dates...I suppose that some of these buildings are rebuild-updated...anyway, Amsterdam is very pleasent and it's buildings are very "colourful".

BOhannon wrote:I hope you return to our favorite city for a longer stay someday. There is so much more.

[quote="badfrog"]it sounds like you had a great time.[/qoute]
There are very interesting places in Amsterdam, and I really like more not tourist part of the city... we hope to come to Holland againg..for a long time..

thank you for comments!
Cheers!

here are couple of galleries of our one day in Holland this May:
http://www.aleksrom.net/Europe-2007/Hol ... lland.html
and http://www.aleksrom.net/Europe-2007/Hol ... lland.html

theguest
super power poster
super power poster

Postby theguest » Thu Jul 05, 4:23 pm

nice story and pics. thanks

SlyCrayon
super poster
super poster

three days in Amsterdam

Postby SlyCrayon » Mon Jul 16, 12:42 pm

Amsterdam is an old city, skilled at entertaining her visitors. What insightful impressions for such a short trip; sounds like you researched well Aleksey. Your English has the charm of a foreign speaker, thank you for taking the time to learn it.

Did you think Madonna was worth 100 Euros?

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Very Nice, Very Nice Indeed!!!

Postby LastHamlet » Mon Jul 16, 5:47 pm

Very interesting report, with wonderful photos to boot.
Nice how you captured the essence of some of your experiences, and manage to put them to page, wonderfully. As far as writing skills, no apology necessary, you do just grand!!!
Nice Pictures, and Very Nice Report, Many Thanks For Sharing.
Best Of Regards,
LH

100 Euros??? Maybe for Cyndi Lauper :-)

aleksey
new
new

Re: three days in Amsterdam

Postby aleksey » Tue Jul 17, 7:01 am

SlyCrayon wrote:Amsterdam is an old city, skilled at entertaining her visitors. What insightful impressions for such a short trip; sounds like you researched well Aleksey. Your English has the charm of a foreign speaker, thank you for taking the time to learn it.

thanks ;) I'm delighted with this city anf its inhabitants...
Three days it is not enough, however at us impressions as though we have stayed there about week.

SlyCrayon wrote:Did you think Madonna was worth 100 Euros?

I'm not crazy fun of Madonna, but I really like some of her creation. And this concert was perfect, surpass all our expectations.
and 100 euros is a real cost for so wonderfull, well thought-out show..actually, some guys try to sell me tickets (without reserved place on stadium) for 500 euro per one!!!
so, I do not know why that person (other man) has sold to us so cheaply tickets...We stood in crowd of fans in approximately 20 meters from a stage... and it was visible very well Madonna :)
and before the concert we have made a decided that we could spend 150 euros per one...so we saving of some money:)

couple of words about people surrounded us: some persons have been stylized under suits of the Madonna... or are dressed in t-shorts from the last concerts. absolutely different age, and I saw even the baby on hands of mum :) I think his parents are really funs!
Madonna asked about who is from what countries-cities... also has asked about Moscow... We are from other city, but nevertheless I have cried... and the crowd around us has been a little bit shoked...
We came back from a concert by train... and we risked to not get in it as it was difficult to get even on the platform. We have squeezed into the car barely, but it has not damaged our impressions.

aleksey
new
new

Re: Very Nice, Very Nice Indeed!!!

Postby aleksey » Tue Jul 17, 7:09 am

LastHamlet, thank you very much for so kind comments!

LastHamlet wrote:100 Euros??? Maybe for Cyndi Lauper :-)

this is the truth - hundred euros for the concert of Madonna :)
probably, seller, having learned that we are from Siberia, has decided to not speculate on us :) I dont know...

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”