Life thru my lenses by Foxie Day 3

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

foxiehaha
power poster
power poster

Life thru my lenses by Foxie Day 3

Postby foxiehaha » Sat Oct 04, 10:55 pm

The morning started all too quickly at 5 minutes to 10. The night before had been exhausting and the previous day’s heat had taken its toll on me and I slept like a baby. I was dismayed to remember Breakfast was at 10.00 and I darn well wasn’t going to miss out on a meal so I just pulled yesterdays clothes on <filthy slut> and, bleary eyed, we stumbled off to tuck away a few calories.
Back in our room it was distinctly noticeable the day was already blasting out horrendous heat at a rate of knots so I sought bravery and took a cold shower. I felt deliciously free & easy as I sat out on my balcony in a towel with wet hair and had my first doobie of the day.
Our plans were about to change as we had planned to spend the day museumming in a reasonably clear frame of mind but now we decided to go across to Grey Area, pick up something scrummy and head off to Vondel Park for some serious sun-bathing time. My dilemma was what to wear? (Gentlemen, you’ll be bored by the next paragraph!) I had packed all summer clothes and 1 fleece in case the evenings became chilly. (God, I am SO British!) But even summer clothes have degrees of warmth or lightness. I had 1 pair of high heeled slip-ons and 1 pair of trainers. The slip-ons had rubbed my toes to buggery the day before and I didn’t want to wear my trainers with a light cotton skirt and trousers were out of the question. In the end I went for the lightest skirt I had and a T-shirt. We headed across the road to the sports shop by Ajax and bought some (fashionable in Europe, everyone was wearing ‘em, dorky in the UK where I hadn’t seen anyone wearing ‘em) flat, black Velcro sandals. They certainly were not my cup of tea but they were comfy as hell.
We wandered back up Raadhuisstraat first, turned right and stopped into the Albert Supermarket for the first time. What a lovely place! Firstly the air-conditioning must have been on MEGA as it was absolutely freezing in there. It was just glorious walking up & down the aisles looking at all the food. Shivering. We picked up bottles of water, cartons of juice, fruit, some pastries and rolls filled with cheese, ham and tomato.
On the way out to Grey Area we stopped at a newsagents to pick up an English paper and paid almost 5 times as much as we pay as home but, hey-ho, there’s nothing like sitting in a park with the paper. :)
As we sauntered up Oude-Leliestraat I was praying this much talked about coffee house was going to be open as I had heard about the strange opening hours but as we neared the entrance I could see the door was open.
I cannot tell you the disappointment I felt as I entered. I thought it was just horrid. Cramped, grubby, 2 of the strangest people I have ever seen sat at 1 of the 4 tables doing something unspeakable to a bong that had clearly seen better days and was in dire need of a wipe of CIF. A bald scowling guy stood behind the counter. We asked for the menu and with a grunt we were given it. Well, I say given it, it was grudgingly put on the counter for us. Hubby pointed out the Grey Mist, I nodded and whispered strawberry Looza please and left him to order with this undesirable person.
Still, this gave me the time to view the interior properly and my fellow smokers. I kid you not they were in their seventies if they were a day. A male and a female. With wild hair. Both had this seriously wild hair. And old, brown lined faces with so much character in them it was scary. I was aware I was staring at them and tried to make eye contact so I could nod and say Hi but they didn’t look my way and were busy moving things, seemingly in an obsessional way, around the small silver table.
Hubby sat down opposite me with a small plastic bag full of dust or something that could easily have come out of my vacuum cleaner and 2 strawberry and apple Loozas. I had never tried this flavour before and I highly recommend it. It was scrumptious. He then skinned up and made 2 of the biggest nicest cone shaped fags I have ever seen. He really was getting a dab hand at making the shape right.
As I toked away on this delicious piece of engineering I started reading all the stickers that covered the walls. There was so much to look at, sipping my Looza and enjoying my ciggie I felt much more comfortable and that “gooooood” feeling crept up on me from behind then landed in my lap like a cat coming in from the rain.
The old ‘uns pottered off and some young guys came in. Three English, 2 Dutch and they sat in the window and I watched them as they shared the aforesaid bong.
The heat was still unrelenting and even with the large front window wide open it got awful stuffy and yet again I was sweating like an Olympic runner on his 20th mile. Plans changed and rather then taking the half hour or so walk to Vondel Park we decided to head off in the other direction and find The Magic Mushroom Gallery to buy goodies for the indoor Olympics that were planned for the night.
We stayed by the side of the Herengracht walking, I figure, South. There was the tiniest of breezes wafting up from the water which provided the most welcome relief. Then turned into Gasthuismolenstraat and right into Spuistraat. The Mushroom Gallery was the most impressive of places. Very modern, light and airy. To chill off a bit I stood in front of a large fan blowing out almost cool air and I remember looking furtively around as if I was really gonna straddle it and let it blow up my skirt. I didn’t I hasten to add.
This place had mushrooms galore. I guess I would of gone to Trade Descriptions if they hadn’t. LOL
Hubby was in his element, looking at all the different varieties, telling me tales of what he had tried when he was but a lad in Devon. It was well informed too with leaflets all over the place giving details of strains, usage, effects and power. Mushrooms just aren’t my thing, however, but herbal tingly stuff is so we spent about 40 € on herbal XTC, Purple Passions, 2 bottles of liquid XTC, one for the male, one for the female and a small bottle of massage lotion.
By now breakfast seemed a very long time ago and I felt pangs of hunger. Also visions of our lovely grub sweating and mashing together in Hubby’s small back-pack made my mind up it was time to go back “home” so we wandered back.
We took a slight detour past Abraxas where Hubby picked up 4 pre-rolled White Witch I think it was. Armed with lots of goodies we got back to the Di-Ann about 18.00ish.
We unpacked and viewed all our stuff. I felt rather hedonistic having all these lovely things to smoke, eat, drink and swallow. After a quick shower to freshen up I went and sat out on the balcony. Doing this was truly the nicest part of my holiday. I so enjoyed hearing the traffic and trams and the watching the people going by. It was high enough up to get some breeze and having the fridge in our room made it convenient to have cold drinks at our pleasure. I got the paper and my book out and placed them on the window sill next to me. A bottle of water and my cigarettes and lighter also went there.
The table and chairs we sat at were of the black metal variety with curls of steel in the design and a three heavy legs at the bottom to keep it stable. The top was round, of the darkest green colour in a slightly marble-like print. I put our rolls and pastries on the table and got the playing cards out. The idea was to relax, get absolutely stoned and have a late lunch whilst beating Hubby at Rummy.
As I dealt the cards and opened my still fresh <thank goodness> baguette I realised I was able to actually turn the top round. This was a bonus.
“Look, look, we have a proper card table!”
I suppose at times I am quite child-like. ChildISH the other half would probably say. When I find something that fascinates me I have to keep doing it until I am bored with it. I have a very addictive personality and this time it was my downfall.
I turned and turned that damn table while hubby was showering and changing.
I turned it, in fact, ‘til the whole bloody thing was unscrewed and it toppled off right onto my ankle.
Rolls, ashtrays, cards and cakes flew off the table onto the floor. I screamed. The goddamned thing was soooooo heavy!! And the edge of it had made a massive dent in my ankle. I was shrieking by now for hubby to attend the scene of the accident. He appeared, thankfully in shorts, and lifted it away from me. I was cursing and groaning loudly by then.
“It’s not a fucking card table, you just unscrewed the sodding thing,” he muttered.
As he picked up our belongings I am sure I heard the words….drama queen…and….just a scratch. Luckily it WAS just a scratch but could so easily have been much, much worse. ;)
I didn’t much fancy my roll or cake after that. I am sure I was traumatised. I sat with my daily paper and had a few spliffs for a good couple of hours. Purely for medicinal reasons of course. I needed it to get over the shock. And I don’t care what anybody says, the limping was not false!
About half nineish hunger was getting the better of me but I really wanted to eat local so we put some evening clothes on <Hubby trousers and an open neck shirt><Me in a black skirt with teeny red roses on and a red gypsy top> and walked back down Raadhuisstraat over one canal where on the corner was an Italian restaurant. Perfect.
There were many tables inside and a few were free but we chose to sit outside. There was a great table opposite the canal so one could look across at the water and boats or turn slightly and look across at the road and the passers-by. Hubby ordered a chicken dish in a tomato sauce served on a bed on spaghetti. I ordered a Cabella? Canaba? I can’t remember what exactly it was called but it was a pizza base with a big mound of pizza topping in a big bump in the middle and several servings of bolognase sauce poured on top. It was the most gorgeous meal. We also had garlic bread and beers.
When we had our fill at was truly dusk and the boats had their lights on and looked quite charming. There was a decent breeze and the flow of people decreased a lot. We sat there quite a while having a cigarette and chatting. These are the truly memorable moments. Just being happy. People kept stopping to eat until quite late, we didn’t feel the need to move on to accommodate other diners as there was always another spare table but I was honestly happy to see such a good place being frequented by others.
Back in our room it was straight into bed for me. I couldn’t face sitting out and having another mishap. I was very tired and stretching between the cool crispy sheets felt like heaven. Hubby very kindly offered to massage my poorly ankle. He had the bottle of Booby Drops in his hand purchased from the Mushroom Shop earlier. I earnestly told him that my boobies were fine and it was my ankle that got hurt but despite my <somewhat feeble> protests he disappeared under the bedclothes to make me all better.
And he did.

Foxie.

Next time; Posh Kids and some space cakes.

patrick

Postby patrick » Sat Oct 04, 11:05 pm

great read, i nominate you for trip report champion. how much was the room at the Di-Ann?

GT
power poster
power poster

Postby GT » Sat Oct 04, 11:21 pm

again a fine report, thanks.
as has been said before (i think), the british slang is most interesting to an american ear, one of my favorite aspects of your work.
looking forward to the further adventures.

entrada
power poster
power poster

Postby entrada » Sat Oct 04, 11:55 pm

worth the wait foxie...do you think the dude @ the grey area is only nice to fellow americans? going from reports i've read he's a w"nker!!! anyways great report...undisputed 'Englands No1'

_non
power poster
power poster

Postby _non » Sun Oct 05, 12:05 am

Smashing, and I love your accent (I'd really like to hear you speak in person, but -alas- that will probably never be). I also would like to know how much you paid for the Di-Ann, as I might stay their myself based off this report.

add-note: It is listed at 130 E per night via bookings (i'm on a powerbook, so I can't access the alt+0128 for euro symbol). In the knowledgeBase, though, somebody said they booked a double for 56 E.

Note - the 130 E price is for the double deluxe, which is said to have the balcony. The normal double is listed at 105 E.

_non

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Sun Oct 05, 1:24 am

Good one! That is a great posting.

Refreshing to get the UK slant, even more interesting to get the trip from a chick's eye view.

Summers in Amsertam indeed are great.......sitting outside at a table, pleasantly watching the world go by. Contentment.

Can't wait to read the next one...

:-) Dogbreath

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

waa

Postby a bollocks » Sun Oct 05, 4:08 am

foxie wrote: I turned it, in fact, ‘til the whole bloody thing was unscrewed and it toppled off right onto my ankle.
Rolls, ashtrays, cards and cakes flew off the table onto the floor. I screamed. The goddamned thing was soooooo heavy!! And the edge of it had made a massive dent in my ankle.

but whatta 'bout the shrooms? cry-baby... lol.

"Drama Queen" <~~~I spit up my breakfast.
"Booby lotion" <~~~need to hear more

your "better" half sounds the trip. Congrats on another trippy-trip report
Read it again today, just for shits and giggles, and I did.

WOOP!
Last edited by a bollocks on Sun Oct 05, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amst
regular
regular

Postby amst » Sun Oct 05, 1:33 pm

Shopping, mooching about, hanging in coffeeshops, changing plans, watching the world go by, eating, sleeping - warm, familiar stuff, and like Dickens said, it's the simple things that matter. You bring it all back - thanks!

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Sun Oct 05, 6:08 pm

Yes...a great report...and true...nice to hear from a girl!

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

What a trip report...

Postby LastHamlet » Tue Oct 07, 3:09 am

So British indeed, Foxie. Yet another awesome read.
I get caught up in those spinning table type quirks myself. My whole persona is a spinning table.

Great Read, Great perspective, Great Job...

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Tue Oct 07, 3:46 am

Consistantly good reports, I luv 'em. Its a pity they have to eventually end, when are you going again???

moe.

foxiehaha
power poster
power poster

Postby foxiehaha » Sat Oct 11, 10:19 pm

Thank You all very much. xxxx.

My next trip will be in March 2004 Moe. I can't wait. :))))

Love Foxie.x

Newbie Doo2
power poster
power poster

Re: Life thru my lenses by Foxie Day 3

Postby Newbie Doo2 » Tue Oct 14, 11:17 am

foxiehaha wrote:“It’s not a fucking card table, you just unscrewed the sodding thing,” he muttered.

That was so damn funny.............I just spat tea all over my keyboard and moniter...shit...the boss is gonna be mad!!

You had Garlic bread ???.....Garlic Bread ??? Are my ears deceiving me?

If I had a hat I would take it off to you and your hubby....great report and time very well spent I might add...I'm going to read day 4 now....Woo Hoo !!

ND2

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Tue Oct 14, 5:03 pm

_non wrote:Smashing, and I love your accent (I'd really like to hear you speak in person, but -alas- that will probably never be). I also would like to know how much you paid for the Di-Ann, as I might stay their myself based off this report.

add-note: It is listed at 130 E per night via bookings (i'm on a powerbook, so I can't access the alt+0128 for euro symbol). In the knowledgeBase, though, somebody said they booked a double for 56 E.

Note - the 130 E price is for the double deluxe, which is said to have the balcony. The normal double is listed at 105 E.

_non

Just logged in from my powerbook (a relatively old one, 603 PowerPC) and.... €€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Try shift-option-2

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”