ODD PERSPECTIVES; June/July 2003 Trip Report. Part #7

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

ODD PERSPECTIVES; June/July 2003 Trip Report. Part #7

Postby LastHamlet » Wed Oct 01, 12:58 am

Day #9 Kaboom!!! It’s the 4th of July...

I awoke to ‘Ohio Jim’ from downstairs, picking and singing. He is getting to be quite the regular performer. It was already 11:30, so I may have been the only one still sleeping when he started. He plays a guitar that was custom made by himself and Mark (the Hotel manager.) It looks like a basic box guitar, but with a custom inlaid steel piece on the front. Much the same as a steel guitar, like the one on the cover of a Dire Straits album, with a few differences. I really think Jim has a talent, but I have heard Mark play and he truly is gifted.
Last year they would play together a lot, this year Mark has been so busy that he hasn't had any time to jam for the hotel guests. It is somewhat neat to awake to some live jam from a fellow hotel guest. Quite naturally, this kind of sound is not seen as a reason to make any complaints. Not that I would ever make any complaints, but I am the live and let live type, so it doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, I think it is a popular vote in this hotel that music is a given. Of course, there are all kinds of music and Jim's ‘nitch’ is a kind of folk music sound. That is also cool with me, as I am a Bob Dylan-ist'...

I just thought of something, it is the 4th of July. Not that it has a lot of bearing here in Holland unless you happen to go to Boom Chicago, where the actors are Americans and make note of the date. I went to that show last year at this time, and they were making funny cracks about it. Saying they were going to postpone the 4th of July festivities until December, where it might be warmer in Amsterdam. Seeing how last Fourth of July was rainy, slightly cold, I remember that day being a high of 57 degrees, and it dropped down to 48 or so in the wee hours of the night. Not to mention it was also rainy and damp most of that day.

As I crawled to the window seat, I could already hear the rain. When I looked out, it was the start of an exact replica of last year's weather on this day. It was kinda chilly and definitely raining. It rather lends truth to the Almanac concept of predicting weather. (I might have to start reading the Almanac...) Umbrellas were visible and people were ducking under storefront canopies to wart off a few minutes rain. Yep, almost an exact copy of the prior year. It was easy to make the call to lounge around a bit, while packing the bowl from my trusty weed holding pouch. I even ventured downstairs to hear the music and see what was up.
Mark was in his office checking some e-mail, reservations, and such. He saw me walking by and ask me to come on in. (Uh Oh, have I been smoking too much weed or what?) I walked into his rather small office and was grabbing a seat when I heard his speakers playing Dire Straits sounding music. When I asked what it was he said "Sailing to Philadelphia” by Mark Knopfler. (No wonder it sounded like Dire Straits.) He went on to say that it was a copy and I was welcome to have the disc. Seeing how he had several others, he said he did not mind. With this gesture starring me in the face, I told him to hold on...
Quickly I ran up to the room and seized a copy of the "Making Movies" album I had brought with me. Reaching the bottom steps nearly out of breath, I said this is for you. He inquired as to what it was, and I replied by telling him it was the best Dire Straits album ever made (In My Humble Opinion).
I am not sure if he was familiar with the tunes on it, but when he plays it, he soon will be.
There were so many topics that we discussed on this early afternoon. Dutch customs, Practices, Shopping, Music, Literature, and even Ghanja, were some of the subjects. He certainly is a well-rounded fellow in his subject matter. I was amazed at how much he knew of American made music, even from way back. Mark seems to be one of those people you can't get an instant bead on, but a very honest fellow for sure. I guess we can never know what is behind ones eyes until we explore. He was quite the thinker indeed. Although he didn't seem to be wordy with his sentences, but did get to the point with less words than it takes me.
After speaking with him for over an hour, all the while he was doing reservations, I thought him to be a most wonderful friend indeed. I didn't have the in depth conversations in the past trips here as I had on this journey, but it may be due to a restrictive mate at the time. I hate making it sound that way, but I just avoided group conversations that involved her, cause I was so dam scared at what she would come out with. I am not kidding you either, she would come out with stuff that would have people looking at her as if to say, "Are you really a woman?" (I always wondered that myself.) Nevertheless, I had such a nice time sitting and chatting in the office with him. Even when other patrons came downstairs needing assistance, he seemed to keep the thoughts consistent in a conversation.
I asked him if he was playing his guitar at any clubs, like last year. He told me that things had been so busy that he had not played in quite a while. However, he did tell me that he would be getting back to it as soon as possible. (I sure hope he gets the time to enjoy his music.) With parting words of good wishes, I told him to enjoy the disc. He returned the compliment and told me to enjoy the one he gave me. He is interesting fellow and I am honored to call him a friend. (I hope he considers me one too.) I couldn’t wait to pop it in the player I brought with me. (A journey for tomorrow night.)
After taking the disc to the room I told BB that I would be back around 1:30 to take a trip to Haarlem, and check out the town with her. I had to grab a broodje at the fish stand and head up the street to get a transformer for my powered speakers. I had blown out the one I brought on the second day... Oh wow, A small appliance and musical store right on the Utrechtsestraat had the very item I needed. Had I been looking closer I could have had a new transformer the third day. (Live and Learn.) It was 5 Euros and well worth a way to play my new disc... So, with bag in hand, I head further up the street.

Just as I see a tram coming, I decide to take a ride. It was time to make my way over to St. Antoniesbreestraat to have a hashy smoke in honor of OldHippyGuy... Therefore, BlueBird Coffeeshop here I come... (I told you I would man.) As I found myself on the sofa he must have sat so many times, I fired up a joint with a half-gram of some hash in it. I didn’t put a note as to what kind, but I let the dealer get me a gram of his recommendation. It was a dark colored hash and had a real nice flavor. It made the Siberian Tiger smoke taste very interesting. (OHG, this smoke is in behalf of you. I really hate you couldn’t be here to enjoy it with me.) I did try my best to enjoy it for the both of us. I created quite a smoke cloud on your behalf, and quite a bit more for my regards.
As I smoked it, I noticed the shop was very colorful and quite comfortable. There were only a few other people in the shop while I was there. One fellow in particular was an interesting fellow indeed. He spent the entire time I was there trying to get one joint right for the smoking. I bet he tore it apart four times and attempted to re-roll it. Goodness, I am not a quick roller myself, but I had finished smoking my hooter and was walking out, and he was still trying. I once offered assistance and he kinda sneered at me. His only words were, “got to get it just right.” Uh, yes I see what you mean. Jeez, there couldn’t be any more crystals on that weed he was rolling... I love the ghanja, but I don’t make love to it, so to speak. (Well, maybe sometimes...)

I had a strong buzz and could use a little walking to catch some sights. It is always a pleasure to walk with a good buzz on, cause you get a real slow perspective. I actually ended up walking back to the hotel, with umbrella firmly in hand. The chilly rain was coming down a bit harder now and the wind was on the cold side as well. I did remember to hold on to my power transformer and not leave it at the Bluebird Coffeeshop. I made it back to the room right at 1:20 PM, and took a quick shower to freshen up.

A Trip Top Haarlem:

It seemed like a good day to visit, and seeing Haarlem again would be good. The last time I was there was when OldHippyGuy and I took a trip there so he could deliver his gifts to Nol (Actually that was my only trip so far to Haarlem). BlueBerry was the real veteran of Haarlem, seeing how she has actually stayed there on a trip or two; I'll just follow her lead. We were at the Central Station when she told me how she got her Snel Train Tickets. I have never used those little machines that dispense the tickets. I just never have had the patience to deal with them. Now BB is having trouble with them as well, as we can't get one of these machines to do what ever it does. I don't think we had the right increments of currency to acquire the tickets, so I decided to suggest that we get our tickets at the Human ticket counter. She told me it was always crowded and that is why she avoids it. Being a veteran of the ticket counter for other trips, I replied by telling her the lines go real quick and they will even tell you which Spoor to go to. Seeing how the machines were not cooperating she decided to give the ticket counter a try. It went pretty smooth actually, in and out without a problem.
Finding the right Spoor was a problem though. They were doing some internal construction on some of the stairways and such, keeping us from entering at the proper point. Moving one more Spoor entrance up we managed to find the right place to grab the Haarlem train. (Sometimes backtracking is essential to get where you need to be.) The train was already sitting on the tracks as if it were waiting for us to board. We knew we only had a few minutes to board, so we were for sure going to be on it. Making sure we were boarding on a class #2 car, as the class #1 were more expensive, yet not a world of difference in accommodations. (IMHO, if the price is a lot more, it just cannot be worth it.)
Arriving at the Haarlem station at about 3:45 PM, it was not crowded at all. This being my second trip now, and I have yet to see this place crowded. I like it that way, cause you can inhale the essence with your eyes. All this without a lot of hustle and bustle of a jamming crowd. It was the distance of a small city block from the train station to the Sativa Coffeeshop, making it the first stop on the list of things to do. The sign above the shop reads; Willie Wortels Sativa and upon entering, you see the bud booth just on your left.
Quite naturally, I had to look straight towards the back to see if those panties were still marking the way to the ladies room. Oh Yes, they were still hanging on the marquee that showed the way. I don't know what it is; I just find the appearance of ladies panties so wonderful. Well maybe it’s the fact that I am a guy, and an excitable guy to boot. Yep, they are the same ones that were here in April, and it just leaves you wondering if there is a girl running around without her frillys on. HeHe.. This time I took a picture of the wonderful undies and hope to have them on my web-site soon.
Well enough Panty-Talk, I have to get a fruit drink at the back bar. The same girl is working here as when I was here last (I hope they have given here a break from time to time.) She is a little woman with short dark hair. She does not gain any points in the friendly department. Of course, I could have caught her at bad moments each time. That does seem to be my luck on occasion. She was not out and out rude, but just not your friendly De Kuil or Siberie coffeeshop attendant type. Ah well, to each their own...
The bud counter man was extremely friendly and very knowledgeable about his products. Tony was his name, buds were his game, and he played a very good game indeed. By GAME, I do not want to imply he was playing games, but was a good dealer of sorts. He was opening a rather large bag of buds and filling his Tupperware containers to the brim. The whole area around his counter smelled as sweet as cotton candy. My goodness I really love that smell. The sweetness of these flowers always overwhelms me in such a pleasant way. I guess you can really tell that I truly love the ghanja. I am a herbalist, and I will most likely ride my horse until the end. Just like the part in the movie 'Contact', where she could have just said, "Accept this as Faith". She did not, and rode her horse till the end. (So Be It...)

I picked a bud out of his full container and slid over to the table to roll it up. BB and I shared that joint of good Sativa as a pick me up. It was very good and did manage to hit me up with some excess power. As I looked out the door, I could see that this was indeed a carbon copy of last year's 4th of July. It was at its high temperature for the day, of 56 degrees. Raining and feeling a bit damp in general. The weather was like a time warp and a reoccurring dream.
However, it was not enough to stop any of the planned ventures of the Haarlem trip. It just provided opportunities to see Haarlem in the rain. The other time I came here was in April, and it didn't rain a single day on that journey. Nonetheless, we headed to the bus terminal to catch a bus to the Sensemillia.
The quickest way to get to Sensemillia Coffeeshop is bus #73, which drops you off right out front of the place. You have to immediately go up a flight of steps to gain entry of the coffeeshop. Once inside you get the feeling you are in a nightclub of sorts? In fact, they told me this used to be a club, and they did some remodeling to convert it. They had beautiful wall paintings, which were done by Nol's girlfriend. Seaside paintings and such were a nice touch to this shop. It is really a big shop, with pool tables and all (Pool Tables were in excellent condition). It had a very clean appearance all around and you could not help but to like this shop. It even had one of those dispensing machines, but the hash had been removed as an item for purchase. Same way at the Sativa shop, only paraphernalia was available for sale in the machines.
BB was anxiously awaiting the arrival of Marcel, (Her Sweetie.) During the wait, BB rolled up one of those neat cone joints she has learned to perfect. I helped to smoke it and walked around the shop a little bit. It has a good size wet bar, but I didn't notice if they served beer or other spirits. I know they have juices and colas though, cause I bought one. Not to mention that the weed bar that is near the back of the shop is very tidy and well organized. I couldn't help seeing the ceiling and ceiling border art sculptures. They look like something that should be mounted on a ship'.
All in all, it was such an amazing shop. I can just see Haarlem in the future, and it all began with Nol's shops. Hey, I must say he has impeccable taste in product and shop deco. Of course, I am a little bias because of the panties hanging in Sativa Coffeeshop. After seeing Nol's niece in the shop, I think I know whom they fit...
It wasn't too long before Marcel showed up, and that made BB glow with excitement. You can just tell that he is her cup of tea. I could see her checking him from head to toe. She made the comment that he had lost some weight, and that was even more appealing than the last time she had seen him. I just hung tight at the table. I certainly didn't want to give the impression that I was blocking the way of good conversation. I am a friend that happens to be with her in the shop. Ah, but a friend that knows when to get out of the way.
I must say this shop is really nice and has a chipper feel to it. With it's high ceilings and even the bathrooms are ultra clean, I am impressed with the overall aura of this shop. Again Nol, your taste is exquisite..............
I believe Marcel had to run after a bit, errands and such. (Darn, the times you have to work.) With the finish of a second joint, we grabbed our stuff and headed out. Taking a last look to keep it in memory, and wishing it was closer to the hotel... (Again, Parting is such sweet sorrow.)

After catching a bus back to the terminal, we headed for the Grote Market to have a walk around. It sure looked different than before, on my last trip that is. It was a lot cooler and had no rides set up in the square. As I walked through the streets, I had a strange feeling about the area. It was true to life like I had gone back in time. This was like walking in Amsterdam back in 1981. The walking pace was a lot slower and the streets were a lot less crowded. It was like stepping in an H.G.Wells episode of time traveling events. It just seemed so much quieter than the AMS of modern days. Haarlem is a place that seemingly provides a look back in time.
It is just that sometimes people migrate for the illicit market surrounding a newfound freedom. I know I tend to come to AMS for the good ghanja. Seeing how this little town only had like 4 Coffeeshops that I know of, it is in the beginning stages of where AMS started.
It is right about now that I am feeling hungry enough to eat a horse, well at least a good steak. BB has the goods on a place I didn't get to try last trip. 'Wilma & Albert's Steak House' was promising to be a great choice. I have showed her the wonders of Kantjil en de Tiger, but it was time to see the wonders of a really great steak house. As we entered the place, the hostess seemed to recognize BlueBerry, and was trying to place BB in her mind. The kind lady asked if we had a reservation, and with a 'No' response she was still able to seat us at one of the first tables in the place. The place was virtually empty at the time and I really wondered what the need for the question was? In a matter of 10 minutes, the place was starting to fill like people attending a concert.
BlueBerry suggested that I order my steak well done, as the standard for cooking was a little on the rare side. With the steak orders placed, I was all too eager and very hungry, so I just couldn't wait. (Ah, but I did wait.) What a treat, that rib-eye steak was so awesome it almost melted in my mouth. I cannot remember when I had one as tasty as that. Not to mention the atmosphere here was very interesting. I was facing the wall and could see a drawing of Wilma & Albert on the wall. They seemed rather young and somewhat hip to boot. I don't know if this really looked like them, because I have never met the daring duo. I can definitely say this much; they really know how to run a steak house.
During the meal, a fellow was playing a piano in the back of the restaurant. He also accompanied himself by singing along. Now, this was not one of your best performances, but it did seem to be welcomed by the regular patrons of the joint. BB said she had seen him many times before, performing just the same way. I cannot really say a lot, seeing how I am a Bob Dylan fan. Bob has some really beautiful and meaningful words, but a singer he is not. I should say a good singer he is not, but being profound is a different matter all together. Nonetheless, the fellow did seem to be enjoying himself while jamming for the crowd in the restaurant. Yeah, and speaking of crowds, the place was really packed by now. I was somewhat glad we had gotten there when we did, or a reservation would have been necessary, for sure.

With a really full stomach, we departed from Wilma & Albert's with a totally satisfied feeling. (I have to give them 5 Stars, and recommend them highly...) Immediately following this wonderful meal we decided to go to the Sativa for another smoke. It was rather close and we arrived within a few minutes of leaving the steak house. Haarlem is a lot like Amsterdam in the scenery seems European, but seemingly 20 years back in time...
Of course, I have to give the hanging lingerie another peep as we walk in. I was just wondering to myself if they would ever change the pair hanging on occasion. I can personally verify that this is the exact same pair that was here in April. That gives them a hang time of over 3 months. Man, Michael Jordan don't have that kind of hang time... LOL...
I did ask of the whereabouts of the gifts that OHG had brought in April, but no one knew exactly what happened to them. BB asked Marcel at the other shop and the best we can figure is that Nol did get them. When and how might be an issue for Nol himself to answer? Unfortunately, we didn’t get to meet him because he was in Spain. That is now the second trip that Nol has been in Spain, must be something-big going on.. Hummmmm.....

Having to leave Haarlem is a bit sad considering it is so peaceful. I am going to have to stay here on one of my trips soon. Such a wonderful little city has somehow remained in ¾ time. Many thoughts enter my head as the train takes us back to Central Station-AMS. I didn’t lose my umbrella or my weed pouch this time, so I must be getting a little better with my attention span. Wondering if that special person was out there somewhere??? One that could tolerate all my quirks and still holds me true in her heart. One that I could accept and return the same feelings to as well. The first and famous Hamlet seemingly never found his. Am I to endure the same fate as he? Leaves one to ponder a lot in the edges of one’s mind...

We arrived back at AMS Central just a little after eight, for some wondering around. It wasn’t long before a meeting at Dekuil with Nogbin was to occur. On the way there, I saw the 12-cent beggar. The exact same fellow that had confronted OHG and I this past April. He was still asking people for 12cent. Although a little worse for the ware, he was still persistent in his deeds of such. I looked back once and he had a puzzled look on his face. Somehow, I think he remembered me, but couldn’t figure out from where... Ah, life’s little sagas.

Breaking into De Kuil and I use this term in a sporting way, seeing how the front glass was broken out. I mean completely broken out, the big one that is. It was different to see such a sight, and did not believe I was seeing this. Walking in with a dropped jaw and a look of shock, as the work crews outside were installing a new glass at this very moment. The new one didn’t have the nice etching on it. No beautifully engraved logo or nothing... A blank scroll, so to speak.
I walked slowly to the drink bar and asked what had happened? The lady told me there was a fight in the alley and one fellow fell into it. He told me the fellow was not hurt badly that fell, or got pushed through it. That had to be a small miracle, cause I did look at the broken pane and it was some really thick glass. That had to be quite a shot to have broken that glass... This is a sight I care never to see again. (I still cannot believe I saw that.)
The De Kuil was hoping indeed. First of all Nogbin was being chatted up by a very nice looking young lady. Her and her boyfriend were in the coffeeshop, selling Hemp Products of all kinds. It was seemingly a mail order setup. The girl was very friendly to Nogbin and seemed to want a get away from her current mate. (Oh Wow...)
BB and I were talking to him about the friendly lady, and being right inquisitive of the situation. He sensed that the lady wanted to sell a bunch of products, lending way to her friendly nature. However, BB and I think it is because of Nogbin's natural charm. We thought she was looking to trade up, so to speak. He dismissed the idea, by saying she was a bit young (mid 30's), and was just doing a pitch for sales. The issue was up for debate, but I think Nogbin has underestimated his charm and appeal to the ladies. (I still say she was interested.)
Nonetheless, Nogbin seems rather loyal to me, and he didn't give it another thought. It made for some light-hearted fun anyhow. The trust his wife extends to him is much deserved. I seriously doubt he would have taken the young lady up on any such offer. I had a lengthy conversation with him just the other evening, and I feel he loves his wife very much and would do nothing to hurt her. (That is a dam fine quality...) Had I still been with my ex, no other could have gotten me away. Therefore, I do understand his never-ending loyalty.
Just when you think all the flirting is over; I had an interesting thing happen. Not as fortunate as Nogbin, cause it was a young guy, but a flirt nonetheless. I accidentally nudged the fellow behind me, and quickly apologized to him for the trouble. Oh no, he had an unusual smile on his face... I had to turn back around and rather quickly, I might add. (Narrow escape, or so I thought.)
Several times during our visit, the fellow reached clearly around me to grab my lighter. Reaching again to return it each time. Now this was a bit strange, I thought. I never really turned back around, as a MALE date was out of the question. (I have exclusive likes for women.)
The reaching, though strange, never really bothered me. However, it sure did take attention away from the female flirter that Nogbin had encountered.
With most of the flirt formalities out of the way, some smoking was in order. (We are in a coffeeshop you know.) It was all too easy to smoke up three good joints of a mixed variety. During the blazing event, BB and I were telling Nogbin about this Stella Blue weed at the Anyday Coffeeshop. It got to be such a drooling talk that we all decided to take a walk over and get some of that ghanja. Leaving De Kuil at 10:00 PM, we made a path for Igor and the Anyday Shop.
Just as we cut through the alleyway onto Nieuwenzijds Voorburgwal, I saw a fellow from last year's trip. He was one of the infamous street people that I always remember. He used to have a long beard and hung around the Prinsengracht a lot. My ex used to speak so much of this fellow, saying he had the bluest eyes she had ever seen. I tried to tell her that this fellow was not like the lady at Central Station, as he was without a doubt a real person. (The lady at Central, I ain't so sure.) Nonetheless, I told Nogbin and BB to hold up one second while I got some Euros out for him. Upon placing them in his hands, he always gives out a rather loud "Dank U Well."
I am not sure he could understand me, but I had to tell him this was from my ex, and that she had always wondered about him. I am not sure he understood me as all he did was smile, but I sure hope he gathered some of what I was saying. (LO, I saw him, Promise Fulfilled.) Some people do live up to their promises.)
After rejoining the group, Nogbin asked me what was up. I had to give him a brief little version of why I had peeled off to give the fellow some cash. If you are reading man, now you know why I did it.
Quite naturally, we pass by the mini RLD, and I hold me head down as not to blush too much. I heard someone say that they had spotted a transvestite in the window. (Boy, that would be quite the surprise to the unsuspecting shopper. (Maybe that might be in demand, I don't know.) I know if the lady at Vienna had been a man, I would have left a lot faster than I arrived. Now, I don't mean to make anybody mad here, I just prefer women. (The real kind.) I know others have different specifics, so to each their own.

Heading to the Anyday Coffeeshop, we found it completely packed. Igor was at the counter and keeping things moving along, as best he could. He recognizes me from yesterday and asked how the recommendation was. Holding the thumb up, I had to tell him that this was the best tasting smoke of the trip so far. He seemed rather proud of his smoke and very pleased that I had paid such a compliment. (I did not lie; it was the tastiest we had smoked.) With this said, I got a big bud off the bowl and had it ring it up. It was so loud in the place that I couldn’t hear what he said. I handed him a 50 and got change, is all I remember. I could see the scale display, sporting the 4.7 grams proudly. That was a real nice looking bud. However, BlueBerry had selected first and got the real big puppy in the bowl. I didn’t mind, cause I was most pleased with the runner up specimen... Dam, it was dripping with frost, so to speak. I really wished I had words to describe this smoke, cause it is soooooo unique. (A Must For An AMS Trip Is Stella Blue, and not the Herring Broodje...LOL...)

The place was really hopping so we decided to head over to Softland Coffeeshop. I had never been there, but always eager to check out a place that others have given such a good word in their behalf. To tell you the truth I cannot remember who lead the way, other than it was not I. I know it is on Spuistraat 222, but didn’t feel like being the leader. (Little lost in thought at the moment...) However, my memory gets better once we arrive.
When you get inside the Softland, it rather reminds you of Dampkring Coffeeshop. The bar and walls look similar and the place had a nice vibe. It had a round solar painting above the bud counter. The chairs are rounded with leather backs, surrounded with steel round hole mesh. The seats of the chairs had the same matching mesh. (I really like those cool chairs...) The shop even had an Internet connection for those needing the service. I was too busy wrapping up a big stogie to care about checking e-mail. I was using the Stella Blue, so we could all enjoy that indescribable essence. We all had to make some kind of beverage purchase to keep the chops wet. It just seems when you got more than three Channelites in one coffeeshop; a lot of smoking is customary.
We smoked up a couple of joints and some bowls of hash that Nogbin had. BTW, he always has some mighty fine hash. He must have a knack for finding the best hash in Amsterdam, cause it always gets tasty when he lights up a bowl. Nogbin, you are quite the smoker man. In the times we have met, you have never turned down a hit. You should have been on the crawl with us....
With the evening coming to a close, we said our passing thoughts and head off to make our respective ways home. It is always good to share a smoke with a few good friends. Not to mention a great opportunity for conversation is a pleasure as well...

The night air was chilly and it had some mist and light rain coming down. I will say it again; it was an exact copy of last year’s weather on this same day. It was a wonderful July 4th 2003. Even with the weather being the same, some things were a lot better... With the nightcap bowl, I managed to smoke 7.5 grams of weed and hash to celebrate the occasion. There were no fireworks, but I will always forego a bunch of lights and bangs for a cold Fourth of July in Amsterdam...

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Wed Oct 01, 4:14 am

Another power read. Nothing mundane about this day. I have got to get to Wilma & Albert's next trip, I live for quality steaks, I buy USDA Prime pretty much exclusively. Throw a good baked potato or some fries in and I'm set. With the Stella Blue, Nogbin's hash and assorted other gear you smoked that day, you didn't need fireworks. Thanks again and keep 'em comin'.
I was just thinking...Blueberry still has a chunk of the last trip left to report on and now another, maybe she'll wrap it up by the end of the year if she doesn't go again between now and then ;-)

moe.

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Wed Oct 01, 4:54 am

I smoked a big fattie whileI read it...very nice
The fattie AND the report :)

_non
power poster
power poster

Postby _non » Wed Oct 01, 5:40 am

Smashing, mate...

_non

Fooz

Nice One...

Postby Fooz » Wed Oct 01, 10:24 am

LH,

This was a great report. I liked the hilarious (foreshadowing??) allusions to the some of the strangers around you, and especially your "restrictive mate".

I know from my own experience that the powerful weed and other goodies like mushrooms make each hour, let alone, a day in Amsterdam seem like a series of sensational, if not entirely disconnected
(mis)adventures.

Therefore, your efforts, even in vain, to establish some contiguity between your ever-shifting thoughts and your daily personal encounters are much admired and appreciated. Keep em' coming, mate.

Fooz

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Wed Oct 01, 11:03 am

Nice report LH. For a while there, I felt like I was ambling right along side of you!

Yes, Nogbin is indeed a certified weed miester. Notice how well organized he is too... all his weed and hash organized into neat ziplock bags. Good company, too. Everyone says he doesn't look like a weed smoker... more like a certified accountant.

Aimless ambling in amsterdam.... life at it's best.

:-) Dogbreath

Newbie Doo2
power poster
power poster

Postby Newbie Doo2 » Wed Oct 01, 2:28 pm

Fan-bloody-tastic !!

Nicely done LH, I really enjoy your writing style.
Your reports are an absolute pleasure to read.

Many thanks

ND2

Added later : Infact you made my working day better today !! Thanks ND2
Last edited by Newbie Doo2 on Wed Oct 01, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Oct 01, 4:45 pm

I like this phrase "inhale the essence with your eyes", Nice. BTW there are more like 20 coffeeshops in Haarlem. Empire and Montecello are near the Grote Kerk.
Pax

running wild
power poster
power poster

Postby running wild » Thu Oct 02, 12:45 am

Thanks LH for another outstanding Trip Report. Like Dogbreath I feel like I am walking with you. It won't be long and some of us Channelites will be back in A'dam. We'll take your advice on the Stelle Blue at Anyday. And yeah Wilma & Albert's is an awesome place. I was there last March thanks to recommendations here and it the food was beyond belief. I got a salad to go with it and didn't realize that the food with the dinner had a salad and the additional salad was much more than I could eat. A question I have is what are the berry garnishishes that they put on the salad? I didn't eat them so I was curious if you or blueberry had some of them with your dinner. I got there also early about 4pm and had to go for a walk till I think 5pm. Again thanks for the report and hope to hook up with you one of these days. I really like the cd of the coffeeshop crawl. Tilll the next keep ah rolling. Running Wild

running wild
power poster
power poster

Postby running wild » Thu Oct 02, 12:49 am

I have to correct myself. I went to Wilma's and Albert's in Sep of 02. I was staying in Haarlem at the youth hostel and also visited the Floriada. Running Wild

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Thu Oct 02, 12:56 am

[quote="A question I have is what are the berry garnishishes that they put on the salad? [/quote]

Rat turds! Sorry I couldn't resist. Restauratuers will understand, LOL
Pax

Bon Bon Billy
super poster
super poster

Postby Bon Bon Billy » Thu Oct 02, 4:13 am

This was a very good report. I must say, you get better with each effort. I also felt like I was there. You are right about the steak place. Rare is just short of walking in on the hoof. Thanks for taking me back to Amsterdam.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Hummm...

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Oct 02, 2:29 pm

I really didn't eat the salad, I was in a steak only mode. However, I have eaten those little berries in other places. They have a taste like a sweet tart in a way. Little tangy, little sweet, know what I am saying. I ate some in '95 and can't remember what they call them. One of those street side fruit stands have them all the time, give em a try.
BTW, I thought rat turds were dark colored???

All of you are way to kind... Banks and now Foxie are so much better at this. I had to cry from laughing, reading Foxie's reports.
I am at best, something to fill the spaces of spare time with.
If you will all recall, everyone of you were the reason I went ahead with this trip. It is all of you that I will always remember and need to Thank on a daily basis. Thanks Channelites... I really mean it...
"Without ALL of you, none of this would have ever happened."
Many Prayers and Thoughts,
LH.

foxiehaha
power poster
power poster

Postby foxiehaha » Thu Oct 02, 2:53 pm

Don't undersell yourself Sweetie, I just write how I think. That was one brilliant read I bloody loved it.

Love Foxie.x

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Sat Jan 30, 9:33 pm

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”