whats up with the water or is it the food.... 4th posting

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

capecodguy
power poster
power poster

whats up with the water or is it the food.... 4th posting

Postby capecodguy » Wed Jun 11, 10:08 am

Man Ive been feeling kinda lousy since I arrived, like my last trip my stomach has been upset all the time. My partner laughed when I told him on the phone, dont drink the water he syas...wtf its not mexico for gods sake.
Whats up with these pushy dealers?? ususally I keep walking or say Nay if hes in my face....well I walk by this guy...Moroccan I think he was...well he says the usual and I step around him then he follows and touches my shoulder...I lean away and then he grabs my shoulder a bit more...I lived in Providence and Roxbury in Boston...you just dont do that shit...so I turn on him and said "You dont do that kind of shit where I come from" and I get the fierce look and step towards him and he backs off...what the fuck does he think I didnt hear him the first time or was he showing off for his fellow dealers anyways bummed me out for a while....I dont want to be on edge over here...
Anyways enough of that...so I decided to take a trip up to Alkmaar to check out the buds and the babes. Stopped into De Brug on the kannaltradt
and was pleasantly surprised by the prices of the herb...got 2 nice bags for E10 one of white widow and the other of shiva bud....since I had my own rolled I fired up the bombat Id rolled earlier for the occasion...nice pure weed(bubble gum and domina) with some isolater hash thrown in for measure......excellent smoke...w
well I decide to have some dinner at Rositas Cantina...had the nacho soup...nice and a buger...still had the queasy stomach before and after....sheesh...walked down through the RLD and goddam there are some fine ladies here...much quieter pace tan walking amsterdams rld circus scene....anyways I promised my girlfriend Id be good...why did I do that??...sheeshhh...last train leaves at 1127 so I grabbed a strawberry shake from Burger King...(needed change for ticket) and believe it or not I felt better after the shake....hmmm...40 minutes of stations and I was back into the dam ...a walk thru the rld and down to my hotel for 2 hours of tossing and turning....damn women....and those idiots next door loud as hell....lol
Up at 900 for breakfast at the hotel.....back to room and smoking the last of my hash...hard as rock at first but throw a flame to it and it softens up nice...lights quick and stays lit...white ass...the good shit....woffsshhhh....yummy
well its my last full day...at least in holland...I have a 24 hour layover in iceland....as if theres much to do there....any ideas??? well I gonna try and see some culture like a museum....so Im otta here with my l3 joints to smoke....
peace...
CCG

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Jun 11, 4:36 pm

RE: the queasy stomach. You don't by any chance order drinks with ice in them do you? I think that some places use canal water for ice because it is generally used to chill bottles etc, not to be put in drinks. (I know of one instance anyway).
Pax

Jujumann
power poster
power poster

Postby Jujumann » Wed Jun 11, 7:15 pm

I do have to add that i had the same problem with the whole upset stomache thing. I really wish i knew what it was so that next i go i can weave my way around that problem.

I did eat a lot of Falafels. Im thinking maybe thats what it was. They are so good though, too good to resist.

MadJack
power poster
power poster

Postby MadJack » Wed Jun 11, 8:46 pm

Go to the Blue Lagoon. They also have a nice Museum there too. The last time I was there we went to a cafe that had soup that they served in a bowl made of bread, it was outstanding.

We spent most of our time shooting pool or snooker and drinking beer.

Progress

Postby Progress » Thu Jun 12, 3:21 pm

I had an upset stomach on arrival day only. I drank some tap water out of my room and it tasted okay, but I'm not sure if it was the Sbarros I had eaten or if it really was the tap water. Either way I got it out of my system, running to the bathroom in the hallway to hurl. After that I didn't throw up once, and drank tap water in all 3 Benelux countries.

My brother arrived in Amsterdam the day my group got back there to go home. The next day when they boarded the bus for the airport I boarded the tram for central station, and as I was walking down the warmoestraat I see my brother drinking a beer on the sidewalk outside my hotel...awesome. Anyways, what I was getting at is that we had bought a bunch of bottled water and I woke up one morning at like 4am to him pounding the bottle, I asked him to save me some but he didnt. It spawned this huge arguement about water and how it was okay for me to drink from the tap because i had been drinking that for 4 weeks, and that the tap water would make him sick or something. I just find it funny, because some students asked my Dutch Professor if it was safe to drink the water and she replied with "what do you think this is, a third world country?" The Dutch are water wizards.

Tap water is safe to drink - but, you may not be used to some of the things that are in it, and it may make you a bit ill but your body will become used to those things that are in the water and you will be able to drink it like a fish.

DedBud
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DedBud » Thu Jun 12, 3:30 pm

I've never had problems with water in Europe but then again I grew up there and travelled all over so I may have built up a tolerance to some waterborne germs that Americans normally aren't exposed to. Come to think of it, I've bought food off of street vendors in Tijuana and didn't get sick as everyone predicted. Maybe I have an iron stomach. Actually as I get older I realize that iron doesn't tolerate milk as much as it used to. Maybe that will help me get the jelly coating off my iron stomach.

Damn...didn't know that was yer bro Progress....just thought it was someone from your group.

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Thu Jun 12, 4:11 pm

I have been living here for two and a half years and I never have had any problems with the water. Actually, when I first moved over I found a ranking of water quality and the Netherlands was ranked in the top five, behind most of the Scandinavian countries.

If something makes you ill, I would be willing to wager it was something you ate.

Jujumann
power poster
power poster

Postby Jujumann » Fri Jun 20, 9:04 pm

Buck o five:

Are falafels notorious for gettin people sick. Thats the only thing that i can relate my sickness too while i was over there. I didnt drink any tap water. And nothing else comes to mind that couldve gotten me sick. Just curious so i know to cut down on the falafels next trip if thats the case.

Also, where did you move to amsterdam from. Im curious to hear about the move and changes. I was considering the move to outside amsterdam from the states and heard it was a hard task to complete.

Now im considering just going to SAE institute for their audio engineering program and then ill get to live there for about two years and thats how long i wanted to live there anyway.

Not for the rest of my life anyway.

Peace out brotha,
Jujumann

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Sun Jun 22, 1:23 pm

I don't really think that falafels are particularly bad, but they might have been the culprit in your case. I eat them all the time and I never have a problem, but you might have gotten one from a dodgy shop. Maybe it was the fact that you were eating something for the first time and you might have had a low grade allergy or some other intolerance. It is hard to say.

As for moving over here, I moved from Arizona and it really was not the easiest thing. You can read a bit more about relocation on some of the other threads in the Amsterdam discussion forum or you can visit a web site that is based on working and living in the Netherlands at http://www.expatica.com.

As for the SAE institute, I have heard from a couple of people that it is not as good as some of the courses in elsewhere. I have heard that some of the programs in London are quite good.

Jujumann
power poster
power poster

Postby Jujumann » Sun Jun 22, 9:03 pm

Thanx man...ill have to check out the one in London. Its defintely something i want to do, audio engineering that is and i figured whats better than going to school for it in good Ol Amsterdam.

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Tue Jun 24, 4:36 pm

The water is fine to drink. I have a sensitive stomach so, I buy my bottled water and then boil it to refill from there.

One other thing, I NEVER travel without my pink friend...pepto bismol, a small item to have when you are feelin' the need.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”