Catalonia

The place to discuss political issues.

User avatar
Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 6:10 pm
Location: Tír na nÓg
Contact:

Catalonia

Postby Generous_J » Sat Oct 28, 9:49 pm

Discuss in less than 1000 words.

User avatar
Cali Guy
super poster
super poster
Posts: 858
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 9:12 am
Location: Super Power Poster

Re: Catalonia

Postby Cali Guy » Sat Oct 28, 10:51 pm

You first.



<1000

User avatar
27guldens
super poster
super poster
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 12:46 am
Location: la calle del ritmo
Contact:

Re: Catalonia

Postby 27guldens » Sun Oct 29, 1:03 am

Buffffff... SNAFU

slither
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 4:09 am
Location: Trace my IP and see

Re: Catalonia

Postby slither » Sun Oct 29, 1:17 am

Don't care.

(Should this change, I will use my remaining 997 words to opine.)

Cheers

User avatar
smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 5784
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 10:45 pm
Location: 3rd. rock
Contact:

Re: Catalonia

Postby smokedpeppers » Sun Oct 29, 3:59 am

[individually, would this 999 limit be for one post or the life of the thread? is credit available, if you don't comment on the theme??]
Last edited by smokedpeppers on Sun Oct 29, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi_in_Oz
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 12:03 pm

Re: Catalonia

Postby kiwi_in_Oz » Sun Oct 29, 4:09 am

Make paela not war

User avatar
Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6042
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 7:43 pm
Location: Outside the Box

Re: Catalonia

Postby Rudy » Sun Oct 29, 5:42 am

In my lonely cell I sit.
My pants are full of shit.
My balls are gently bouncing on the floor.
I can feel the bloody snag where she bit me on the bag.
I'll never fuck a Spaniard. Nevermore.

User avatar
des
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 11271
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 12:36 am
Location: The Red Rose County

Re: Catalonia

Postby des » Sun Oct 29, 1:10 pm

An election seems the only sensible way forward! ... Just so long as both sides abide by the result!

Peace, Des.

User avatar
des
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 11271
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 12:36 am
Location: The Red Rose County

Re: Catalonia

Postby des » Sun Nov 05, 3:23 pm

des wrote:An election seems the only sensible way forward! ... Just so long as both sides abide by the result!

Peace, Des.


Not going to be a very fair election with the leaders of one side languishing behind bars!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41877858

Political prisoners in the EU! ... Who'd have thunk it? LOL!


Peace, Des.

User avatar
Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 6:10 pm
Location: Tír na nÓg
Contact:

Re: Catalonia

Postby Generous_J » Mon Nov 06, 7:54 pm

Puidgemont is trying to make himself and his clique victims of the Spanish oppressors. He is a former journalist and thought he could get a good social media campaign going to match the street level organisation of the protestors. It's deeply cynical and quite transparent.

The reality is he called an illegal referendum and then said it gave him a mandate to call for independence. It did in its hole. Only 40% of the electorate voted. The reality is Catalonia is deeply divided on the issue. What he did was dangerous and stupid and he should be held to account.

User avatar
Cali Guy
super poster
super poster
Posts: 858
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 9:12 am
Location: Super Power Poster

Re: Catalonia

Postby Cali Guy » Mon Nov 06, 8:56 pm

Generous_J wrote:What he did was dangerous and stupid and he should be held to account.



If you were around you would've scolded Michael Collins, Éamon de Valera, Thomas Clarke and Michael Collins. Why the low opinion of independence?

User avatar
des
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 11271
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 12:36 am
Location: The Red Rose County

Re: Catalonia

Postby des » Mon Nov 06, 9:17 pm

Generous_J wrote:Puidgemont is trying to make himself and his clique victims of the Spanish oppressors. He is a former journalist and thought he could get a good social media campaign going to match the street level organisation of the protestors. It's deeply cynical and quite transparent.

The reality is he called an illegal referendum and then said it gave him a mandate to call for independence. It did in its hole. Only 40% of the electorate voted. The reality is Catalonia is deeply divided on the issue. What he did was dangerous and stupid and he should be held to account.


Are you really that desperate to see a Federal Europe that you're prepared to condone head smacking thuggery and false imprisonment?

The only reason for a 40% turn out was the other 60% were dragged out of the polling booths by their hair!

You should be fuckin' ashamed of yourself!


Peace, Des.

User avatar
Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 6:10 pm
Location: Tír na nÓg
Contact:

Re: Catalonia

Postby Generous_J » Tue Nov 07, 1:01 pm

Cali Guy wrote:
Generous_J wrote:What he did was dangerous and stupid and he should be held to account.



If you were around you would've scolded Michael Collins, Éamon de Valera, Thomas Clarke and Michael Collins. Why the low opinion of independence?


Not comparable.

User avatar
Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 6:10 pm
Location: Tír na nÓg
Contact:

Re: Catalonia

Postby Generous_J » Tue Nov 07, 1:03 pm

des wrote:
Generous_J wrote:Puidgemont is trying to make himself and his clique victims of the Spanish oppressors. He is a former journalist and thought he could get a good social media campaign going to match the street level organisation of the protestors. It's deeply cynical and quite transparent.

The reality is he called an illegal referendum and then said it gave him a mandate to call for independence. It did in its hole. Only 40% of the electorate voted. The reality is Catalonia is deeply divided on the issue. What he did was dangerous and stupid and he should be held to account.


Are you really that desperate to see a Federal Europe that you're prepared to condone head smacking thuggery and false imprisonment?

The only reason for a 40% turn out was the other 60% were dragged out of the polling booths by their hair!

You should be fuckin' ashamed of yourself!


Peace, Des.


Why are you bringing Europe into it? You're ridiculous.

You should be ashamed of yourself Des, stop getting your opinions made for you by red top 'news'.

User avatar
des
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 11271
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 12:36 am
Location: The Red Rose County

Re: Catalonia

Postby des » Tue Nov 07, 1:17 pm

Generous_J wrote:
des wrote:
Generous_J wrote:Puidgemont is trying to make himself and his clique victims of the Spanish oppressors. He is a former journalist and thought he could get a good social media campaign going to match the street level organisation of the protestors. It's deeply cynical and quite transparent.

The reality is he called an illegal referendum and then said it gave him a mandate to call for independence. It did in its hole. Only 40% of the electorate voted. The reality is Catalonia is deeply divided on the issue. What he did was dangerous and stupid and he should be held to account.


Are you really that desperate to see a Federal Europe that you're prepared to condone head smacking thuggery and false imprisonment?

The only reason for a 40% turn out was the other 60% were dragged out of the polling booths by their hair!

You should be fuckin' ashamed of yourself!


Peace, Des.


Why are you bringing Europe into it? You're ridiculous.

You should be ashamed of yourself Des, stop getting your opinions made for you by red top 'news'.


They were detained and had their passports seized by a Belgian court!

I got that piece of information from the Grauniad ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -catalonia


Peace, Des.

User avatar
Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 6:10 pm
Location: Tír na nÓg
Contact:

Re: Catalonia

Postby Generous_J » Tue Nov 07, 2:56 pm

They were arrested on a European arrest warrant, yes. That was brought on by request of the Spanish judiciary.
Its hardly some EU conspiracy.

Jesus Des, your conception of the world around you grows more childish by they day.

User avatar
des
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 11271
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 12:36 am
Location: The Red Rose County

Re: Catalonia

Postby des » Tue Nov 07, 5:28 pm

Generous_J wrote:They were arrested on a European arrest warrant, yes. That was brought on by request of the Spanish judiciary.
Its hardly some EU conspiracy.

Jesus Des, your conception of the world around you grows more childish by they day.


*CHORTLE!* With age, comes wisdom ...

Your sycophancy is blinding you to the truth ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ria-europe

When the lead lined truncheons are bouncing off your head, I won't bother complaining on your behalf!

I'll be too busy laughing the smug chuckle of the one who 'told you so!'


Peace, Des.

User avatar
Cali Guy
super poster
super poster
Posts: 858
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 9:12 am
Location: Super Power Poster

Re: Catalonia

Postby Cali Guy » Tue Nov 07, 6:52 pm

Generous_J wrote:
Cali Guy wrote:
Generous_J wrote:What he did was dangerous and stupid and he should be held to account.



If you were around you would've scolded Michael Collins, Éamon de Valera, Thomas Clarke and Michael Collins. Why the low opinion of independence?


Not comparable.




Not rational.

winnie
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1381
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 11:43 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Catalonia

Postby winnie » Tue Nov 07, 9:32 pm

27guldens wrote:Buffffff... SNAFU


more

slither
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 4:09 am
Location: Trace my IP and see

Re: Catalonia

Postby slither » Wed Nov 08, 9:26 pm

des wrote:
Generous_J wrote:They were arrested on a European arrest warrant, yes. That was brought on by request of the Spanish judiciary.
Its hardly some EU conspiracy.

Jesus Des, your conception of the world around you grows more childish by they day.


*CHORTLE!* With age, comes wisdom ...

Your sycophancy is blinding you to the truth ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ria-europe

When the lead lined truncheons are bouncing off your head, I won't bother complaining on your behalf!

I'll be too busy laughing the smug chuckle of the one who 'told you so!'


Peace, Des.



Pssst ... J gets a trifle worked up when others do not agree with his political views - or when one articulates ideas at a level exceeding his simplistic grasp of a particular topic.

But he means well.

User avatar
Cali Guy
super poster
super poster
Posts: 858
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 9:12 am
Location: Super Power Poster

Re: Catalonia

Postby Cali Guy » Wed Nov 08, 10:24 pm

slither wrote:[when one articulates ideas at a level exceeding his simplistic grasp of a particular topic.



You mean like Catalonia's fight for autonomy and self rule after losing it to a Royal Crown Government is “Not comparable” to Ireland's quest for independence?

User avatar
Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 6:10 pm
Location: Tír na nÓg
Contact:

Re: Catalonia

Postby Generous_J » Thu Nov 09, 8:15 pm

Yea, that is exactly what I meant. Moron.

User avatar
Cali Guy
super poster
super poster
Posts: 858
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 9:12 am
Location: Super Power Poster

Re: Catalonia

Postby Cali Guy » Thu Nov 09, 9:53 pm

Generous_J wrote:Yea, that is exactly what I meant. Moron.




I get it now, it's about splitting hairs.

Generous_J wrote:Puidgemont is trying to make himself and his clique victims of the Spanish oppressors

While Tom Clarke and his “clique” tried to make themselves victims of English repression.

User avatar
Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 6:10 pm
Location: Tír na nÓg
Contact:

Re: Catalonia

Postby Generous_J » Thu Nov 09, 11:40 pm

I'm not even going to debate this with you. You're either trolling, or you're completely ignorant. I suspect it's the latter.

User avatar
Cali Guy
super poster
super poster
Posts: 858
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 9:12 am
Location: Super Power Poster

Re: Catalonia

Postby Cali Guy » Fri Nov 10, 1:30 am

Cali Guy wrote:
Generous_J wrote:
Cali Guy wrote:
Generous_J wrote:What he did was dangerous and stupid and he should be held to account.



If you were around you would've scolded Michael Collins, Éamon de Valera, Thomas Clarke and Michael Collins. Why the low opinion of independence?


Not comparable.


Generous_J wrote:I'm not even going to debate this with you. You're either trolling, or you're completely ignorant. I suspect it's the latter.



Oh fuck, that explains everything...how could I have missed it.

User avatar
des
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 11271
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 12:36 am
Location: The Red Rose County

Re: Catalonia

Postby des » Fri Nov 10, 2:13 am

I can understand Gen J's desperation for the EU experiment to continue, no matter how unsavoury it gets, because the alternative for Ireland would be fuckin' catastrophic!

What I have difficulty in comprehending is why anyone (who doesn't have to) would deliberately disenfranchise themselves by taking off their own keks and underpants and handing Jean Claude a rusty pair of garden shears to snip off their political cojones!


Peace, Des.

User avatar
Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 6:10 pm
Location: Tír na nÓg
Contact:

Re: Catalonia

Postby Generous_J » Fri Nov 10, 8:49 pm

des wrote:What I have difficulty in comprehending is why anyone (who doesn't have to) would deliberately disenfranchise themselves by taking off their own keks and underpants and handing Jean Claude a rusty pair of garden shears to snip off their political cojones!


Who is doing this? I am doing this? I don't follow.

User avatar
des
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 11271
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 12:36 am
Location: The Red Rose County

Re: Catalonia

Postby des » Sat Nov 11, 11:26 am

Generous_J wrote:
des wrote:What I have difficulty in comprehending is why anyone (who doesn't have to) would deliberately disenfranchise themselves by taking off their own keks and underpants and handing Jean Claude a rusty pair of garden shears to snip off their political cojones!


Who is doing this? I am doing this? I don't follow.


Imagine this scenario ...

Five years from now, the Federalists have their proposed elected President and Finance Minister running the show! There's a financial crisis and the French and German bankers decide the satellite States of the EU aren't pulling their weight!

Your bank accounts are frozen while your savings take a severe fuckin' haircut (think Cyprus) and benefits and pensions are stopped or cut to the bone! (like they've done with the Bubbles)

What the fuck are you going to do about it?

The Irish Government's ability to veto such a move will be gone!

Leave? ... We've seen in Spain what happens to anyone who dares to rock the boat!

Protest? / Riot? ... Even if the Irish security forces haven't got the stomach to smack some 'ead, I'm sure there'd be a contingent of your New Model Army they could fly in from Poland or Slovakia who would relish the task!

You're fucked! ... You're just too naive or stupid to realise it!


Peace, Des.

User avatar
Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 6:10 pm
Location: Tír na nÓg
Contact:

Re: Catalonia

Postby Generous_J » Sat Nov 11, 8:01 pm

LOL.

Your wild theory is just that, a wild theory. A half baked imagining of some makey uppey dystopian future.

On the other hand is reality. The reality where Britain is actually fucked - now, in real life - and demonstrably so, and as a result of her own naive actions: some sort of national hysteria brought about by a curious mix of nostalgia for empire, pride, greed and xenophobia.

User avatar
Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 6:10 pm
Location: Tír na nÓg
Contact:

Re: Catalonia

Postby Generous_J » Sat Nov 11, 8:38 pm

des wrote:Imagine this scenario ...

Five years from now, the Federalists have their proposed elected President and Finance Minister running the show! There's a financial crisis and the French and German bankers decide the satellite States of the EU aren't pulling their weight!


Thats the thing Des, the EU parliament is democratically elected from all the member states. The tide is not for federalisation any more (even though I think the EU need to be further consolidated along those lines to make sense). It's not going to happen.

des wrote:Your bank accounts are frozen while your savings take a severe fuckin' haircut (think Cyprus) and benefits and pensions are stopped or cut to the bone! (like they've done with the Bubbles)


We have our own banks Des. The government are majority shareholders in most now since the Irish people bought the debt, yes including foreign debt. We have our own Central Bank and Financial Regulator. We are in good shape now having learned lessons of the previous global financial crisis.

The UK is single handedly plunging itself headlong into it's own private recession.

des wrote:Leave? ... We've seen in Spain what happens to anyone who dares to rock the boat!


Don't be intelectually dishonest, you know that is not an EU issue. If the EU were to get involved you'd probably cry foul at that too. They did the rigt thing, they allowed the internal politics of the state to resolve it.

des wrote:Protest? / Riot? ... Even if the Irish security forces haven't got the stomach to smack some 'ead, I'm sure there'd be a contingent of your New Model Army they could fly in from Poland or Slovakia who would relish the task!


Irish security forces are amongst the most experienced in the world.

des wrote:You're fucked! ... You're just too naive or stupid to realise it!


The only trouble we may have is with the border to Northern Ireland but, you know, how could anyone expect the UK to have to think about the repercussions of Brexit. The British just blunder along as always, fully justified in their righteousness.


Return to “All Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests