The continuing crisis

The place to discuss political issues.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

The continuing crisis

Postby alpha » Thu Oct 05, 5:39 pm

Steven Overly and Nancy Scola wrote:The IRS will pay Equifax $7.25 million to verify taxpayer identities and help prevent fraud under a no-bid contract issued last week, even as lawmakers lash the embattled company about a massive security breach that exposed personal information of as many as 145.5 million Americans.

Could anyone in their wildest imagination make this up?

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: The continuing crisis

Postby alpha » Wed Oct 11, 8:56 pm

David Dayen wrote:After JPMorgan’s deceitful activities in the housing market helped trigger the 2008 financial crash that cost millions of Americans their jobs, homes, and life savings, punishment was in order. Among a vast array of misconduct, JPMorgan engaged in the routine use of “robo-signing,” which allowed bank employees to automatically sign hundreds, even thousands, of foreclosure documents per day without verifying their contents. But in the United States, white-collar criminals rarely go to prison; instead, they negotiate settlements. Thus, on February 9, 2012, US Attorney General Eric Holder announced the National Mortgage Settlement, which fined JPMorgan Chase and four other mega-banks a total of $25 billion.

JPMorgan’s share of the settlement was $5.3 billion, but only $1.1 billion had to be paid in cash; the other $4.2 billion was to come in the form of financial relief for homeowners in danger of losing their homes to foreclosure. The settlement called for JPMorgan to reduce the amounts owed, modify the loan terms, and take other steps to help distressed Americans keep their homes. A separate 2013 settlement against the bank for deceiving mortgage investors included another $4 billion in consumer relief.

Here’s how the alleged scam worked. JPMorgan moved to forgive the mortgages of tens of thousands of homeowners; the feds, in turn, credited these canceled loans against the penalties due under the 2012 and 2013 settlements. But here’s the rub: In many instances, JPMorgan was forgiving loans on properties it no longer owned.

They continuously get the gold mine, whilst the middle class gets the shaft.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Wed Oct 25, 6:18 pm

Aaron Blake for the Washington Post wrote:The Clinton camp and DNC funded what became the Trump-Russia dossier: Here’s what it means

It would hopefully mean one useless political party down, with one to go.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Oct 25, 7:47 pm

America deserves what it gets from this debacle.

nemesystem
super poster
super poster

Postby nemesystem » Wed Oct 25, 11:00 pm

too big to fail

lmao fucking wankers

slither
super power poster
super power poster

Postby slither » Fri Oct 27, 1:17 pm

Bohannon wrote:America deserves what it gets from this debacle.

No. Wrong.
Have fun in Canada.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Oct 27, 1:48 pm

slither wrote:

No. Wrong.
Have fun in Canada.

Looking forward to June of 2018! (when legal sales of cannabis begin in the great North) *edited for dumbasses.
Last edited by Bohannon on Sat Oct 28, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slither
super power poster
super power poster

Postby slither » Fri Oct 27, 3:12 pm

Bohannon wrote:
slither wrote:

No. Wrong.
Have fun in Canada.

Looking forward to June of 2018!

Really?
Did Hillary buy a house in St. Catherines so she could run for Premier?

Awaiting your faux-agoniste retort ....

Au revoir, Jacques.

Cali Guy
super poster
super poster

Postby Cali Guy » Fri Oct 27, 3:40 pm

Bohannon wrote:Looking forward to June of 2018!

What a pantload any true champion of resistance would be there already, the antiwar heroes of the seventies didn't sit on their ass and complain...they went.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Thu Nov 02, 3:44 pm

If Democrats don't go all in for single payer they deserve two terms of Trump.

Cujo04
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cujo04 » Thu Nov 02, 4:47 pm

Democrats had 60 in the Senate and a huge majority in the House in 2010 and they still gave us the ACA. Clearly, their "leadership" is as beholden to the corporate healthcare cartel lobbyists as the ones in the other party

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Thu Nov 02, 7:57 pm

I don't recall Ted Kennedy being beholden to the corporate Health Care cartel lobbyists when he fought for universal comprehensive healthcare coverage about 15 different times over his 47 years in the Senate. He knew how hard it was to get it accomplished.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Thu Nov 02, 10:33 pm

Cujo04 wrote:Democrats had 60 in the Senate and a huge majority in the House in 2010 and they still gave us the ACA. Clearly, their "leadership" is as beholden to the corporate healthcare cartel lobbyists as the ones in the other party

Wrong, they had 57 votes and there were 2 "independents", Still not 60 votes needed to pass single payer. Concessions (fuck-ups)for the needed regugnacan't votes is the reason that we ended up with the ACA abomination. The very things that the Rs are now complaining about. Please rely on facts more and memory less.

slither
super power poster
super power poster

Postby slither » Thu Nov 02, 11:58 pm

Back on the Geritol 500, BO?

Meeee-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Fri Nov 03, 1:22 pm

Bohannon wrote:Please rely on facts more and memory less.

That's funny coming from you. You've thrown more bullshit our way over the years then the next 5 posters combined.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Fri Nov 03, 2:26 pm

Bohannon wrote:
slither wrote:

No. Wrong.
Have fun in Canada.

Looking forward to June of 2018! (when legal sales of cannabis begin in the great North) *edited for dumbasses.

Don't get pulled over when the half-assed law goes into affect dumbass, you'll be fined just for having THC in your system.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Nov 03, 3:40 pm

I could find nothing to support your allegation. Want to help out?

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Fri Nov 03, 3:53 pm

I get flagged at the border most of the time. Usually have to go in and get run through the Canadian data base and have the vehicle searched before being allowed into the Great White North.
Last edited by Cat on Fri Nov 03, 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Fri Nov 03, 4:21 pm

slither wrote:

No. Wrong.
Have fun in Canada.

I just stopped in his new place on my trip to Sudbury Ontario for business... nice spot. Do you fish, Slith? A good supply of walleye up north...

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Fri Nov 03, 5:41 pm

Bohannon wrote:I could find nothing to support your allegation. Want to help out?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xyjz ... n-expected.

Two nanograms is sober when you're a medical user.

Are you familiar with Jodie Emery? Friend her in Facebook, she's amazing and will keep you up to date.

slither
super power poster
super power poster

Postby slither » Fri Nov 03, 7:50 pm

Old Fart wrote:
Bohannon wrote:I could find nothing to support your allegation. Want to help out?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xyjz ... n-expected.

Two nanograms is sober when you're a medical user.

Are you familiar with Jodie Emery? Friend her in Facebook, she's amazing and will keep you up to date.

BO does not care about such things, OF.
Rationalism gets in the way of his innate need to be a bellicose dumbass.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Nov 03, 9:11 pm

"If a cop has "reasonable grounds" to think a crime has been committed they could then demand a drug evaluation (by another officer trained to execute them) or a blood sample."

The great liberal bastion that is Colorado sets intoxication at a whopping 5 nano-grams, and due to the rather startling increasing auto crash statistics being currently racked up there are those who are arguing for a tightening.

This is not something with which I very much disagree. Driving while stoned is not a good idea...being stoned at all seems inadvisable for some of you dolts.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Fri Nov 03, 9:22 pm

There is no increase in accidents from cannabis in Colorado you moron.

Get your shit together.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Sat Nov 04, 2:33 am

Old Fart wrote:There is no increase in accidents from cannabis in Colorado you moron.

Not according to the Denver Post.
The Denver Post, on Aug 25, 2017 wrote:More drivers are testing positive for marijuana and nothing else. Of the drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2014 who tested positive for cannabinoids, more than 52 percent had no alcohol in their system. By 2016, it had grown to 69 percent.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sat Nov 04, 2:52 am

Testing positive and being impared are two different things.

Cannabis can stay in your system for six weeks or more Mr. Sessions.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Sat Nov 04, 8:35 am

Old Fart wrote:Testing positive and being impared are two different things.

The same Denver post article wrote:Increasingly potent levels of marijuana were found in positive-testing drivers who died in crashes in Front Range counties, according to coroner data since 2013 compiled by The Denver Post. Nearly a dozen in 2016 had levels five times the amount allowed by law, and one was at 22 times the limit. Levels were not as elevated in earlier years.

In 2016, 115 drivers in fatal wrecks who tested positive for marijuana use, 71 were found to have Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, in their blood, indicating use within hours, according to state data. Of those, 63 percent were over 5 nanograms per milliliter, the state’s limit for driving.

kiwi_in_Oz
super power poster
super power poster

Postby kiwi_in_Oz » Sat Nov 04, 10:38 am

Bohannon wrote:"If a cop has "reasonable grounds" to think a crime has been committed they could then demand a drug evaluation (by another officer trained to execute them) or a blood sample."

This is not something with which I very much disagree. Driving while stoned is not a good idea...being stoned at all seems inadvisable for some of you dolts.

I think you need to get more stoned ASAP

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sat Nov 04, 1:07 pm

This is a segment with Chief Medical Officer for the Colorado Department of Public Health giving an interview in Canada.

‘No Significant Issues’ With Legalization, Says Colorado Health Official

What about drugged driving?
“We have actually seen an overall decrease in DUI’s since legalization. So, the short answer is: There has been no increase since the legalization of marijuana here. We have seen an increase in marijuana-positive blood tests amongst drivers involved in fatal car accidents. But, blood test is not a good moniker for impairment. We can’t tell if those drivers were impaired. They could have used marijuana a month ago and those metabolites could be still showing up in their blood stream. The other thing is, it is easier to test for alcohol in a roadside test. Many police officers will tell you their protocol is to test for alcohol first, and if they are positive for alcohol, they stop testing at that point. So it is hard to get a sense for how much marijuana is impacting DUI’s.”
--------
This combined with the fact cannabis users are no more likely to have an accident than a sober driver should end this conversation.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Sat Nov 04, 5:39 pm

Old Fart wrote:This is a segment with Chief Medical Officer for the Colorado Department of Public Health giving an interview in Canada.

Your chief medical officer also believes there's no public health problems with fracking! Nor does he, like you, apparently read the denver post. So, imho, his views aren't worth a hill of beans, yours, however, are usually worth their weight in gold.

http://www.coloradoindependent.com/1613 ... ing-health

Toking cannabis doesn't usually get stoners so stoned they can't drive a motorized vehicle safely, but occasionally very good strains come along that have never been tried by an individual and cause a much higher stone than normal, which makes for impaired driving in that condition, by reducing them to drive so cautiously they inadvertently cause an accident, or with enough abandon they make a mistake and cause one anyway. I know, i've been in the situation myself. I have to wait fifteen or twenty minutes before i can even turn the key! I agree with you a mild stoning won't impair your driving, however, using concentrates and dabbing, or too many edibles are not conducive to safe driving.

Return to “All Politics”