Donald Nixon

The place to discuss political issues.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Donald Nixon

Postby Cat » Thu Mar 30, 10:05 am

The parallels are frightening......and funny.

"While writing “Richard Nixon: The Life,” John A. Farrell could not possibly have known who would be president on the day his fine book was published. That it happens to be Donald J. Trump is, for him, an extraordinary stroke of luck. To read this biography with an eye only toward the parallels between the two presidents would be lazy and unfair, a disservice to Farrell’s nuanced scholarship.
But the context here is unignorable. The similarities between Nixon and Trump leap off the page like crickets.
There is, first and most superficially, their nonpresidential looks — Trump with his roosterly combover, Nixon with jowls so low they formed an A-frame with his nose. More substantively, there’s the matter of their Old Testament fury at the news media. (“The press is the enemy,” Nixon told his aides. “Write that on the blackboard 100 times and never forget it.”)
What else? Their thin skin. Their skyscraping paranoia. Their cavernous memory for slights. It’s hard to think of two modern presidents with a more dire case of political hemophilia. Once wounded, these men never stop bleeding.
Like Trump, Nixon was a monomaniac on the stump, obsessed with the enemies lurking within. Nixon, too, had a penchant for sowing mayhem and a gourmand’s appetite for revenge, especially in the wee hours of the morning. (Trump tweets. Nixon made phone calls.)"

More here. NY Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/book ... ottom-well

Hammer
super power poster
super power poster

Re: Donald Nixon

Postby Hammer » Thu Mar 30, 2:38 pm

http://us-presidents.insidegov.com/comp ... nald-Trump

Not much comparison. Mostly differences, especially experience.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Thu Mar 30, 3:19 pm

Hammer wrote:http://us-presidents.insidegov.com/compare/7-134/Richard-Nixon-vs-Donald-Trump

Not much comparison. Mostly differences, especially experience.

Interesting site, but a bit to generous with the Trump approval rating.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Wed Apr 19, 2:18 pm

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Wed May 10, 9:37 am

Interesting move by Trump, firing the FBI director while being investigated by same. Seems like every move Trump makes screams cover up.
Its reminiscent of Nixon's firing of the JD's Special Prosecutor during the year long Watergate investigation but different as well.

Nixon's corruption was directed at perceived enemies of his administration, but Nixon also understood the demands of the Presidency and he had a strong grasp of geopolitics and history. Areas where Trump is sorely lacking. Meanwhile the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum is doing it's best to distance it's namesake from any comparisons to Trump.
Now kick back and watch the fallout.

Cujo04
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cujo04 » Wed May 10, 11:32 am

For Comey, the main difference between Clinton vs Trump being elected is that, with the latter, he was able to keep his job 4 months longer.

This is good for the Democrats as they need lots of fuel to keep their conspiracy narrative going until 2020 and that's a long time

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Wed May 10, 1:33 pm

You won't need the Democrats to hurt Trump. His own Nixonian hubris will bring him down.

Cujo04
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cujo04 » Wed May 10, 2:51 pm

Cat wrote:You won't need the Democrats to hurt Trump. His own Nixonian hubris will bring him down.

I need neither. It is what it is.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Wed May 10, 3:35 pm

Those betting odds that Trump would be impeached are starting to loom like a missed opportunity right now.

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Sat May 13, 9:50 am

It's too late to stop Sessions anyway:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 33266.html

How much longer is that legal marijuana going to last, do you think?

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sat May 13, 3:13 pm

Dazzler wrote:It's too late to stop Sessions anyway:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 33266.html

How much longer is that legal marijuana going to last, do you think?

I don't know. The latest sales figures for Colorado are 137 million for March setting another record. The local government is already talking about raising the purchase tax for even more revenue.

The latest Federal budget included no funds for Sessions to proceed with enforcing Federal law making some believe they are safe for the moment. In my opinion it will take no more then a letter to property owners threatening seizure of assets. Only time will tell.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Sun May 14, 12:18 am

I agree with Mile High. The republicans are in a bind, in that cannabis is boon for the state government of Colorado, who'd been successfully sued for billions of dollars by all the counties in the state, because they'd been deprived taxes they'd paid for the maintenance of their schools, for literally decades. A decade ago the state had no idea where they'd get the money and kept stalling, but now they know, all the tax money goes to paying off that debt. Republicans shutting down that kind of profit for the municipals would send the wrong message. I don't think they'll try to shut down legalization, but they will continue to make it difficult to operate.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Wed May 17, 10:15 am

Generous_J wrote:Those betting odds that Trump would be impeached are starting to loom like a missed opportunity right now.

If I were a Trump aid I'd resign out of principle immediately before diminishing my entire career and reputation.

“You don’t find people who mentioned they worked at the Nixon White House unless they were high enough and conspicuous and had to admit it,” John Dean, former White House counsel to Richard Nixon

nemesystem
super poster
super poster

Postby nemesystem » Wed May 17, 11:13 pm

lmao you can't make this shit up.....

And here I thought Melania was the communist lmao

As much as I want Trump to resign I can't help but laugh my ass off at how PATHETIC America has become.... Ignorance all around....dumb fucks on both sides of the political spectrum. However the conservatives willful ignorance is what gets me..... I guess praying to skyfather will get er done right?

smh

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Thu May 18, 10:38 am

I hope Trump doesn't get to paranoid now. Nixon started boozing heavily in 1974 when his presidency started collapsing. His instability was so noticeable to his aids that Nixon’s defense secretary, James Schlesinger secretly instructed the military that no nuclear weapons could be used unless approved by Schlesinger or Henry Kissinger first, according to Nicholas Kristof of the NY TImes.

Unconstitutional yes, but necessary under the circumstances. That's how bad it can get.

Cujo04
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cujo04 » Thu May 18, 5:49 pm

If there is nothing for Mueller to find, then Trump has nothing to worry about and Spicer can direct all Russia probe questions from now on to Mueller's staff so that's a plus. Worst case for Trump is that impeachable charges are validated. Either way he isn't going to jail and there will be no resolution of impeachment or not before the 2020 election so he will serve his full term. I never expected him back for a 2nd term regardless

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Thu May 18, 7:18 pm

I never expected him for the first term...

Cujo04
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cujo04 » Thu May 18, 8:43 pm

Rudy wrote:I never expected him for the first term...

I don't think he did either. Maybe some PR....A new TV show.....sure

Return to “All Politics”