Black Site Redux

The place to discuss political issues.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Black Site Redux

Postby Cat » Wed Jan 25, 5:25 pm

Leave the light and approach the dark side.....

WASHINGTON — "The Trump administration is preparing a sweeping executive order that would clear the way for the C.I.A. to reopen overseas “black site” prisons, like those where it detained and tortured terrorism suspects before former President Barack Obama shut them down.
President Trump’s three-page draft order, titled “Detention and Interrogation of Enemy Combatants” and obtained by The New York Times, would also undo many of the other restrictions on handling detainees that Mr. Obama put in place in response to policies of the George W. Bush administration."

"The draft order does not direct any immediate reopening of C.I.A. prisons or revival of torture tactics, which are now banned by statute. But it sets up high-level policy reviews to make further recommendations in both areas to Mr. Trump, who vowed during the campaign to bring back waterboarding and a “hell of a lot worse” — not only because “torture works,” but because even “if it doesn’t work, they deserve it anyway.”

More here....
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/cia-detainee-prisons.html?hpw&rref=politics&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Black Site Redux

Postby Rudy » Wed Jan 25, 5:46 pm

Trump has already made 2 diametrically opposed statements about torturing detainees.

One in favor of torture, and another one about the ineffectiveness of torture when "beer and cigarettes" can
extract the same or even better intel.

So I guess that means anything goes...

Cujo04
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cujo04 » Wed Jan 25, 6:00 pm

My guess is that the US and other countries are doing the same as they always have in regards to extracting intel from unwilling sources. All the public discussion is to reassure the masses that they are not.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Wed Jan 25, 9:21 pm

Apparently the Trump administration is saying the ny times has been played again.

Tyler Durden, for Zero Hedge wrote:All that said, shortly after the NYT's published the article, Sean Spicer denied it's authenticity at his daily White House Press Briefing saying, "it is not a White House document. I don't know where it came from or where it originated."

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Thu Jan 26, 12:19 am

I'm reading it's unsigned and dated in 2011. Who knows.
Cat gets hard when we talk about Trump. He'll be our fake news source during this term.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Thu Jan 26, 2:33 pm

Is there any value in confessions / intelligence obtained under torture?

All the women Matthew Hopkins sent to the gallows 'fessed up to being witches, but I'm pretty sure none of them flew around on broomsticks or kissed Satan's arse!

Peace, Des.

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Thu Jan 26, 3:48 pm

Interrogators have difficulty with religion-based wars.
Sifting through the warped, fantastical thoughts of dirt poor, vengeful jihadists who absolutely believe in their deluded cause(s) doesn`t provide many useful actionable details.
And suicide bombers are really tricky to get info. from, especially after they have tripped the switch.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Thu Jan 26, 10:06 pm

Rudy wrote:Interrogators have difficulty with religion-based wars.
Sifting through the warped, fantastical thoughts of dirt poor, vengeful jihadists who absolutely believe in their deluded cause(s) doesn`t provide many useful actionable details.
And suicide bombers are really tricky to get info. from, especially after they have tripped the switch.

+1¾ .

Cujo04
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cujo04 » Thu Jan 26, 11:02 pm

The average jihadist grunt captured on the battlefield probably doesn't know dick about who's in charge, plans, strategy or anything else of value

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Thu Jan 26, 11:14 pm

Lots of followers, not many leaders. Just like us.

Cujo04
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cujo04 » Thu Jan 26, 11:38 pm

They just show them a 15 minute youtube video with some cryptic singing in the background to fire them up and then point them in the right direction

Return to “All Politics”