Inauguration Day

The place to discuss political issues.

slither
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 4:09 am
Location: Trace my IP and see

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby slither » Wed Jan 25, 3:58 pm

Cat wrote: I miscalled the general ... An Al Franken and Kirstin Gillibrand ticket in 2020 would be good.


Yes - that is precisely what we need at this point in our history: Franken/Gillibrand 2020.


Get. The. Fuck. Out.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 11:55 pm
Location: Snowbelt

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Cat » Wed Jan 25, 4:49 pm

slither wrote:
Cat wrote: I miscalled the general ... An Al Franken and Kirstin Gillibrand ticket in 2020 would be good.


Yes - that is precisely what we need at this point in our history: Franken/Gillibrand 2020.


Get. The. Fuck. Out.


I reckon Al Franken might be a proper antidote to 4 years of collective psychic numbing.

User avatar
Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6008
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 7:43 pm
Location: Outside the Box

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Rudy » Wed Jan 25, 6:11 pm

...plus, he`s fucking hilarious.

Cujo04
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 5491
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 5:14 pm

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Cujo04 » Wed Jan 25, 6:21 pm

...and he's funnier as a Senator than when he was doing SNL as a comedian

User avatar
smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 5728
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 10:45 pm
Location: 3rd. rock
Contact:

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby smokedpeppers » Wed Jan 25, 10:41 pm

thinking, soros 'i'm with her' party ought run that tulsi gal from hawaii . she has potential .

User avatar
Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6884
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 8:36 pm
Location: @ 7,230 Feet

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Old Fart » Thu Jan 26, 1:24 am

Trump is flipping the Unions, exposes how the Demos are bad for business and their livelihoods.

http://wapo.st/2kl1jfy?tid=ss_mail-amp

User avatar
Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6008
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 7:43 pm
Location: Outside the Box

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Rudy » Thu Jan 26, 4:12 pm

...meanwhile, I haven`t heard a peep from on high about a very important
issue that used to be near the top of the list of priorities . . . Education.

...or is this what we are getting now? Educated.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 11:55 pm
Location: Snowbelt

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Cat » Tue May 02, 12:46 pm

Cat wrote: I think Trump will be a disruptive influence in government, but inconsequential beyond that.


Yep, accurate assessment so far. He could always resign if the job is to overwhelming for him. Is it the pressure that's making him so erratic, or is it dementia?

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 4160
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 1:42 am

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri May 05, 10:57 pm

Cat wrote:
Cat wrote: I think Trump will be a disruptive influence in government, but inconsequential beyond that.


Yep, accurate assessment so far. He could always resign if the job is to overwhelming for him. Is it the pressure that's making him so erratic, or is it dementia?



seriously - i think dementia

see interviews of him 10 years ago ...he could speak in full sentences and actually string thoughts together.. world of difference between today's interviews and those old ones.

he is a pawn, a puppet and a sick puppy

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 11:55 pm
Location: Snowbelt

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Cat » Wed Dec 06, 8:44 pm

slither wrote:
Cat wrote: I miscalled the general ... An Al Franken and Kirstin Gillibrand ticket in 2020 would be good.


Yes - that is precisely what we need at this point in our history: Franken/Gillibrand 2020.


Get. The. Fuck. Out.


I guess I miscalled that one as well. Gillibrand will be running for President just the same though.
Image

User avatar
Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 15978
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 12:30 am
Location: "Hiding my leg from the humpers"

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Bohannon » Wed Dec 06, 9:22 pm

There is a difference between bad comedy and lechery.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 11:55 pm
Location: Snowbelt

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Cat » Wed Dec 06, 9:26 pm

I always assumed it was a gag photo. But Al knows he has to fall on his sword in order to make the Dems look like the moral party while the GOP elects and enables pervs like Roy Moore.

Gillibrand in 2020!

slither
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 4:09 am
Location: Trace my IP and see

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby slither » Wed Dec 06, 9:43 pm

Cat wrote:I always assumed it was a gag photo. But Al knows he has to fall on his sword in order to make the Dems look like the moral party while the GOP elects and enables pervs like Roy Moore.

Gillibrand in 2020!


It may be more than gag photos, apparently.
Your point about perceived party morality is spot on.

I still chuckle about Joe Barton tweeting photos a la Weiner. He certainly seems to have escaped in the midst of all the others.

Cheers.

User avatar
Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6884
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 8:36 pm
Location: @ 7,230 Feet

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Old Fart » Wed Dec 06, 10:47 pm

Bohannon wrote:There is a difference between bad comedy and lechery.


But not much difference when he grabs ass at photo opps and sticks his unwanted tounge down his costars throat.

Before you assholes defend him again you better get stright with today's headlines.

"Al Franken told to resign by several female Democratic colleagues after sixth woman accuses him of sexual misconduct"

Update:

"Chuck Schumer joins more than 30 senators in urging Al Franken to quit as accusations against him grow".

User avatar
smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 5728
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 10:45 pm
Location: 3rd. rock
Contact:

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby smokedpeppers » Thu Dec 07, 2:59 am

if msm had their thinking caps on, they would all gang up of that little shit in korea and trot out a mix of accusers . this seems the resignation ticket . state side, this is working out, as well as term limits .

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 11:55 pm
Location: Snowbelt

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Cat » Thu Dec 07, 6:25 pm

Old Fart wrote:
Bohannon wrote:There is a difference between bad comedy and lechery.


But not much difference when he grabs ass at photo opps and sticks his unwanted tounge down his costars throat.

Before you assholes defend him again you better get stright with today's headlines.

"Al Franken told to resign by several female Democratic colleagues after sixth woman accuses him of sexual misconduct"

Update:

"Chuck Schumer joins more than 30 senators in urging Al Franken to quit as accusations against him grow".


Who are these anonymous accusing females who haven't come forward?
Franken got railroaded and it doesn't help the cause of the "me to" movement.

User avatar
Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6884
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 8:36 pm
Location: @ 7,230 Feet

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Old Fart » Thu Dec 07, 7:32 pm

You're a pig.

User avatar
Cali Guy
super poster
super poster
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 9:12 am
Location: Super Power Poster

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Cali Guy » Thu Dec 07, 7:42 pm

Old Fart wrote:You're a pig.




His white male privilege is overwhelming.

User avatar
Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6884
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 8:36 pm
Location: @ 7,230 Feet

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Old Fart » Fri Dec 08, 2:53 am

I don't see any support for John Conyers from the current dick-heads here at Channels championing Stewart Smalley. It must be because he's a negro.

User avatar
Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6008
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 7:43 pm
Location: Outside the Box

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Rudy » Fri Dec 08, 4:16 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisladd/ ... 2a09a0245c

On the night of March 23, 1997, Marshall Applewhite prepared to achieve his life’s mission. He had already supervised the successful “evacuation” of several followers. The leader of the Heaven’s Gate cult would be the last of the chosen few to join the alien spacecraft trailing the Hale-Bopp Comet speeding past the Earth.

As he mixed a lethal dose of phenobarbital into his apple sauce, did he experience doubt? Did he wonder whether his psychiatrists had been right? Maybe there were no aliens waiting to whisk him away. He had failed to uncover any empirical evidence to support his worldview. Perhaps that was because his worldview was flawed and false. No, he probably ate his poison and slipped the bag over his head with a smile on his face.

Republican Roy Moore, removed from the Alabama Supreme Court for his erratic behavior and banned from the mall for harassing teenage girls, has cloaked his campaign for the Senate in the language of “spiritual warfare.” As such, he is the most apt representative of the Republican Party in our age of cult politics. Moore is pitching himself as God’s candidate and his voters are slopping it up like poisoned applesauce. The party of “family values” is about to send a known sexual predator to the Senate because God wants them to. This would be startling, except they already used the same reasoning to put a known sexual predator in the White House.

The same magical reasoning infects Republicans tax reform plans. We are in the eighth year of continuous job growth, the eighth year of economic expansion, and the eighth year of a head-spinning stock market boom. Corporate profits are at record levels and the economy has been redlining at full-employment for almost three years. By any marginally credible economic reasoning, this would be an ideal moment to raise taxes, curb debt, make investments in public infrastructure, and just generally do the things one does at the peak of a long economic expansion.

At this moment, why are Republicans trying to slash taxes for the wealthy? Why would someone castrate themselves and commit suicide? Because that’s what the cult demands.

There are no bright economic minds suggesting that this is a good idea. There is no difference of opinion among sane, credible people about whether America needs a massive tax cut for the rich. An effort by Republican leaders to claim support among economists devolved into unabashed lying. One of the “economists” listed as a supporter, Gil Sylvia, has yet to be identified and may not even exist. When one of the president’s minions pitched this idiotic tax plan to a panel of American CEO’s - men who will be getting fat tax cuts - they balked. In public. On camera. Director Cohn’s stunned response after soliciting their backing should be etched on the tombstone of the former Party of Lincoln, “Why aren’t the other hands up?”

Cohn didn’t pause to hear their answer, because that isn’t how a cult works. Like a Soviet Commissar, he wasn’t soliciting feedback but measuring loyalty. He noted the disbelief of the apostates and simply moved on in righteous oblivion. No reasoning accessible on the plane of logical thought supports this plan, just like no one outside the cult would ever let Roy Moore make decisions on their behalf. Tax cuts, along with slashing government services, ending government support for health insurance, burning more coal, and a whole collection of other loony ideas, are now unconsidered articles of faith. Republican Jesus wants a tax cut. The faithful will comply.

Nothing in traditional Republican thought made this descent into madness inevitable. In fact, most of what passes for current Republican orthodoxy contradicts the party’s ideological heritage. Just twenty-five years ago, when Roy Moore was trolling the sidelines at homecoming for sweet young things, he was a member of the Democratic Party. At the same time, Elizabeth Warren was a Republican. Something happened, and it had nothing at all to do with the traditional priorities of the Republican or Democratic parties.

Countries experience moments like this from time to time. We are long overdue for such a crisis, as our last major partisan breakdown occurred in the 1850’s. Faced with tumultuous cultural, technological and economic upheaval, political systems may find themselves bottlenecked, unable to keep pace with evolutionary demands. Parties and ideologies are contorted into strange shapes under the pressure of rapid transformation. Communism, for example, began as a ruthlessly empirical, atheistic approach to politics and economics. Influenced by the turmoil of the 20th century and the urgency of revolutionary demands, it quickly took on the trappings of a fanatical religion. By the time the Khmer Rouge unleashed their wave of slaughter on Cambodia, Communism had devolved into little more than ideological window dressing for a tribal death cult. Ideology does not constrain fanatics.

How did the Republican Party became a dangerous cult? Desperate to halt a terrifying tide of social transformation, the political heirs of Jim Crow flooded into the weak and nearly empty infrastructure of the Southern GOP. Men like Alabama’s Roy Moore and Texas’ Rick Perry were the last generation of white Southern men to begin their careers as Democrats. The flight of millions of Dixiecrats into the GOP shifted the balance of power inside the party nationwide. Their fear-soaked, delusional fervor converted that institution from a conventional political party into a white nationalist cult. The Party of Lincoln now exists to help Neo-Confederates win the Civil War politically, long after losing it on the battlefield.

Anyone evaluating Republican plans for tax policy, health care, climate change, immigration, or almost any other subject, will struggle to identify logical explanations for GOP positions. Our politics has not always been so divorced from facts. It was possible to find room for logical arguments about the merits of Reagan’s 1981 tax cuts. There were logical arguments on both sides of the 1986 tax increases Reagan realized had become necessary. People engaged in rational disagreements over priorities and potential consequences of those plans based on facts and reason.

No such basis exists for Republican policies now, explaining the absence of efforts at bipartisan agreement. Support for GOP plans is premised on cult allegiance and enforced by cult loyalty. Unbelievers would be no more likely to support Republican tax plans than to drink poison to catch a ride on a spaceship.

By all accounts, the members of the Heaven’s Gate cult were nice people who avoided harming others. They kept their sickness inside their ranks. By contrast, Republicans are forcing an entire country, and to a certain extent the world, to choke down their poisoned applesauce. It is possible to see in Marshall Applewhite a suffering soul, tormented by mental illness, who drew a small number of similarly troubled individuals into his fatal orbit (pardon the pun). It is increasingly difficult to extend the same sympathy to nice people like Paul Ryan. We don’t look back at Pol Pot or Jefferson Davis as “troubled souls” because the scale of the harm they inflicted obscures any sympathy. Those who survive the poison will one day look back on Republicans of this era with a similar disgust.

Chris Ladd, former GOP Precinct Committeeman, author of The Politics of Crazy and creator of PoliticalOrphans.

User avatar
alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 3672
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 6:12 pm
Location: damned, or in The dam!

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby alpha » Fri Dec 08, 6:25 pm

Chris Ladd wrote:We are in the eighth year of continuous job growth, the eighth year of economic expansion, and the eighth year of a head-spinning stock market boom.


Continuous job growth? Then why do we still have a quarter of a million people seeking unemployment benefits every week? And the only reason the stock markets on a boom is because the federal reserve has been propping it up with billions of their reserves, since the economic collapse in 2008.

Chris Ladd wrote:Corporate profits are at record levels and the economy has been redlining at full-employment for almost three years. By any marginally credible economic reasoning, this would be an ideal moment to raise taxes, curb debt, make investments in public infrastructure, and just generally do the things one does at the peak of a long economic expansion.


Full employment for three years? That must've been pulled from labor statistics, which are only in place to make our 'government' look good, but is hardly what's occurring amongst the poor and disenfranchised middle class. Many having exhausted their unemployment benefits and still not finding work have given up seeking it. Those minions are never included in unemployment reports, because that would make our 'government' look bad.

Are you feeling like you're at the peak of a long and prosperous economic expansion, Rudy?

User avatar
Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6008
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 7:43 pm
Location: Outside the Box

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Rudy » Fri Dec 08, 8:46 pm

alpha wrote:
Are you feeling like you're at the peak of a long and prosperous economic expansion, Rudy?




My financial situation went to shit back in the GW Bush years.
Business for me has been fairly shaky ever since.
Short bursts of prosperity occasionally, but generally barely keeping up with creditors.
This last year seems to be a bit better.
I`m assuming that may be driven by the increased confidence in the markets because of Trumps initial economic promises.

User avatar
Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 6:10 pm
Location: Tír na nÓg
Contact:

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Generous_J » Fri Dec 08, 9:28 pm

What do you do?

User avatar
Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster
Posts: 6884
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 8:36 pm
Location: @ 7,230 Feet

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby Old Fart » Fri Dec 08, 9:36 pm

There is a lot of bullshit in that article Rudy. Moore being banned from the mall as an example.

slither
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 4:09 am
Location: Trace my IP and see

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby slither » Fri Dec 08, 11:07 pm

Generous_J wrote:What do you do?

He does the best he can, same as the rest of us.

slither
super power poster
super power poster
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 4:09 am
Location: Trace my IP and see

Re: Inauguration Day

Postby slither » Fri Dec 08, 11:16 pm

Old Fart wrote:I don't see any support for John Conyers from the current dick-heads here at Channels championing Stewart Smalley. It must be because he's a negro.



Yep. Angry white male syndrome.
Just like BOhannon.

Bookends.
Flip sides of the same coin.


Return to “All Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest