Global warming anyone?

The place to discuss political issues.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Global warming anyone?

Postby Banks » Thu Apr 28, 6:47 pm

NewYork, New York wrote:The earths climate has changed many times during the past several thousand years.

So Mr. History... would it be fair to say that we are in a period of global warming that might last for a thousand or so years?

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Thu Apr 28, 7:00 pm

Banks wrote:
NewYork, New York wrote:The earths climate has changed many times during the past several thousand years.

So Mr. History... would it be fair to say that we are in a period of global warming that might last for a thousand or so years?

I don't really know Mr. Future. If I could predict the future, I would have bet on the Red Sox in 2004 to beat the Yankees.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Thu Apr 28, 7:52 pm

NewYork, New York wrote:
Banks wrote:

I don't really know Mr. Future. If I could predict the future, I would have bet on the Red Sox in 2004 to beat the Yankees.

Using your history then, would it be fair to say global cooling might start this year and last for a thousand years or so? Which might be around the next time the Red Sox win something...

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Thu Apr 28, 8:02 pm

Banks wrote:
NewYork, New York wrote:
Banks wrote:

Using your history then, would it be fair to say global cooling might start this year and last for a thousand years or so? Which might be around the next time the Red Sox win something...

Anything is possible.

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Fri Apr 29, 3:12 am

NewYork, New York wrote:
Dazzler wrote:
NewYork, New York wrote:
Dazzler wrote:
NewYork, New York wrote:
Dazzler wrote:No, it doesn't. It does say 'an increase in solar output', which is the same thing to people who can read.

Pretty sure it doesn't connect the thoughts of "increase solar output" and "the sun is getting hotter".

Try again. You are confused.

Haha.

For someone who is so sure global warming is caused by human activity, you seem to have a
tenuous grasp on the subject.

The sun outputs heat and light. We've already established that its heat output is not increasing. Is it the light that's causing the warming then?

The earths climate has changed many times during the past several thousand years.

During the dinosaur age the earth was hot. Then we had the ice age. Then it started warming again. Then it got colder in the 17th and 18th centuries. (These changes may be out of order. The point is the climate changes gradually over the years).

We really don't know what is causing this latest warming trend just yet is a much more reasonable approach than the fascism of people such as you and Alec Baldwin who believe the science is settled on this highly complicated subject.

It's a simple question. If the sun's heat output is not increasing, how is it causally related to rising temperatures on earth?

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Fri Apr 29, 2:21 pm

Dazzler wrote:
NewYork, New York wrote:
Dazzler wrote:
NewYork, New York wrote:
Dazzler wrote:
NewYork, New York wrote:
Dazzler wrote:No, it doesn't. It does say 'an increase in solar output', which is the same thing to people who can read.

Pretty sure it doesn't connect the thoughts of "increase solar output" and "the sun is getting hotter".

Try again. You are confused.

Haha.

For someone who is so sure global warming is caused by human activity, you seem to have a
tenuous grasp on the subject.

The sun outputs heat and light. We've already established that its heat output is not increasing. Is it the light that's causing the warming then?

The earths climate has changed many times during the past several thousand years.

During the dinosaur age the earth was hot. Then we had the ice age. Then it started warming again. Then it got colder in the 17th and 18th centuries. (These changes may be out of order. The point is the climate changes gradually over the years).

We really don't know what is causing this latest warming trend just yet is a much more reasonable approach than the fascism of people such as you and Alec Baldwin who believe the science is settled on this highly complicated subject.

It's a simple question. If the sun's heat output is not increasing, how is it causally related to rising temperatures on earth?

The simple answer is that the article never said the sun was causing the rise in temperatures.

Either you didn't actually read the article or your reading comprehension needs serious improvement.

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Fri Apr 29, 2:30 pm

So you agree that the article was entirely irrelevant to the question of climate change?

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Fri Apr 29, 3:30 pm

Dazzler wrote:So you agree that the article was entirely irrelevant to the question of climate change?

I would say these two things.

A. I didn't post this article.

B. The theory that sun spots, sun flares, solar activity, whatever you want to call it is unproven as to its effect upon
the earths climate. Similar to the theory that human activity (i.e. pollution) is just as unproven.

Does one unproven theory cancel the other unproven theory?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Fri Apr 29, 3:32 pm

You did defend it though.

The theory that sun spots, sun flares, solar activity, whatever you want to call it is unproven as to its effect upon
the earths climate. Similar to the theory that human activity (i.e. pollution) is just as unproven

The two assertions that you've provided are not equally probable, no.

The latter has huge reams of evidence stretching back decades in its favour, the former is refuted by available evidence.

Hammer
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hammer » Sat Apr 30, 5:30 am

"Available evidence."
My point exactly.
Both of your continuing bickering about conjecture is comical. Human knowledge in this science is like a dot on a blank wall. I want do do something positive as much as any. Like learning and understanding. Reacting before we know what is to be done about climate change is folly. Doing what is prudent is intelligent. Deniers and alarmists are equally extreme. People bickering about something they know very little about is a waste of time.

modern roots
super power poster
super power poster

Postby modern roots » Sat Apr 30, 3:43 pm

The "evidence" is very hard to come by. Plus I don't think 2 or 3 degrees in temperature is going to be responsible for all those things. You can't prove it right now. And all I look for is PROOF!!! And it simply can't be proven. Sorry to burst your bubble. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Sat Apr 30, 4:02 pm

Hammer wrote:"Available evidence."
My point exactly.
Both of your continuing bickering about conjecture is comical. Human knowledge in this science is like a dot on a blank wall. I want do do something positive as much as any. Like learning and understanding. Reacting before we know what is to be done about climate change is folly. Doing what is prudent is intelligent. Deniers and alarmists are equally extreme. People bickering about something they know very little about is a waste of time.

We know that we have to reduce carbon release.
We know that we have to stop throwing plastic into the sea.
We know that digging up nature deserves to get at the carbon underneath them is destructive.
We know that air pollutants cause illness and death.

How about we start there?

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sat Apr 30, 4:45 pm

Dazzler wrote:
My point exactly.

We know that digging up nature deserves to get at the carbon underneath them is destructive.

A good start Dazz.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sat Apr 30, 4:48 pm

I believe something like this would be very popular if there was widespread marketing and promotion. Mass production would bring down the cost close to plastic.

http://www.canowater.com/

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Sat Apr 30, 5:09 pm

kind of ironic choices, destroy the world economies or 'damn the torpedoes full speed ahead' .
best regards selling #1 to the rothschild's and ilk . story is though a global tax would fix it all .

modern roots
super power poster
super power poster

Postby modern roots » Sat Apr 30, 7:25 pm

Dazzler wrote:
My point exactly.

So then go live in a cave and eat insects.

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Sat Apr 30, 9:00 pm

Don't you wipe your arse on your bath towels?

modern roots
super power poster
super power poster

Postby modern roots » Sat Apr 30, 9:23 pm

Dazzler wrote:Don't you wipe your arse on your bath towels?

Nope. Now go enjoy your cave and insects.

Hammer
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hammer » Sat Apr 30, 10:10 pm

Dazzler wrote:
My point exactly.

Excellent idea. On the same page.

modern roots
super power poster
super power poster

Postby modern roots » Sun May 01, 2:24 am

Hammer wrote:
Dazzler wrote:
My point exactly.

Excellent idea. On the same page.

Right!! And the auto manufacturers started producing electric vehicles for the masses 20 years ago and now electric cars are everywhere!! The day and age of a brand new electric car for $15,000!!! And it will go 400 miles on one 3 minute charge!!! Sure, all that happened, right? I'm not just dreaming am I?

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Sun May 01, 6:06 pm

a doom and gloom report on the increasing natural disasters occurring . reads, The top 3 safest countries in the world in terms of natural disasters seem to be Qatar, followed by Malta and Saudi Arabia, according to World Risk Report 2015.
http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2016/0 ... disasters/

modern roots
super power poster
super power poster

Postby modern roots » Sun May 01, 6:51 pm

smokedpeppers wrote:a doom and gloom report on the increasing natural disasters occurring . reads, The top 3 safest countries in the world in terms of natural disasters seem to be Qatar, followed by Malta and Saudi Arabia, according to World Risk Report 2015.
http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2016/0 ... disasters/

I bet these people would have had a fit back when all the dinosaurs went extinct!!!

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Sun May 01, 7:34 pm

yeah well, theory is a big rock took the dinosaurs out, that would have given anyone that overwhelming feeling and that's subject to happen again .

modern roots
super power poster
super power poster

Postby modern roots » Sun May 01, 8:45 pm

smokedpeppers wrote:yeah well, theory is a big rock took the dinosaurs out, that would have given anyone that overwhelming feeling and that's subject to happen again .

Where did the rock hit? I'd like to travel there and look at it.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Sun May 01, 9:35 pm

modern roots wrote:
smokedpeppers wrote:yeah well, theory is a big rock took the dinosaurs out, that would have given anyone that overwhelming feeling and that's subject to happen again .

you coonass live there, it's called the gulf of mexico . i do wonder about you .

modern roots
super power poster
super power poster

Postby modern roots » Sun May 01, 10:17 pm

smokedpeppers wrote:
modern roots wrote:

you coonass live there, it's called the gulf of mexico . i do wonder about you .

Are you trying to tell me that a rock that fell in the water killed off dinosaurs thousands of miles inland? I've been to some dinosaur sites in Wyoming and Montana. Pretty cool too. However, Wyoming and Montana are a long way from the Gulf of Mexico. Now if all the dinosaurs lived in Florida, Alabama and Louisiana it'd be a little different. Only thing is there were dinosaurs roaming as far north as Canada. Sorry, that theory doesn't even pass the fiction test. Although I will give the theory an "A" for creativity.

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Sun May 01, 11:55 pm

modern roots wrote:
smokedpeppers wrote:
modern roots wrote:

Are you trying to tell me that a rock that fell in the water killed off dinosaurs thousands of miles inland? I've been to some dinosaur sites in Wyoming and Montana. Pretty cool too. However, Wyoming and Montana are a long way from the Gulf of Mexico. Now if all the dinosaurs lived in Florida, Alabama and Louisiana it'd be a little different. Only thing is there were dinosaurs roaming as far north as Canada. Sorry, that theory doesn't even pass the fiction test. Although I will give the theory an "A" for creativity.

Yeah! And how did it kill all the bird dinosaurs?! And how come there are still fish? And monkeys?

I can see there's no fooling such a skilled observer of the carnival that is life as you are, Mr. Roots.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Mon May 02, 12:31 am

MR is a treasure.

nemesystem
super poster
super poster

Postby nemesystem » Mon May 02, 2:35 pm

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Fri May 06, 3:46 pm

Old Fart wrote:
Dazzler wrote:
My point exactly.

A good start Dazz.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Return to “All Politics”