Fracking!

The place to discuss political issues.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Fracking!

Postby Old Fart » Tue Aug 09, 3:18 am

Bohannon wrote:Question for this discussion: What chemicals do the oil companies inject into the ground water bearing shale in order to extract the oil and are there any deleterious effects for we humans?

We need to know that. It's being pushed hard in Colorado. We have the strictest fracking and methane release regulations in the country. I believe there are toxic chemicals in that slurry and there should be testing.

Most of the problems I've read about so far were earlier wells before any real regulations. The slurry could be changed or extraction could be contained and recycled? We deal with nuclear waste to keep our economy moving, certainly fracking slurry isn't as bad.

One thing is certain, the environment wins big time burning gas instead of oil. And we have enough of it for well over 200 years. I believe we should move away from fossil fuels as soon as possible but it's a slog and we're not there yet.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Tue Aug 09, 3:28 am

smokedpeppers wrote:List of 78 Chemicals Used in Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid in Pennsylvania
http://marcellusdrilling.com/2010/06/li ... nsylvania/

Now we're getting somewhere. From your link:

When fracking fluid is pumped into the ground, the vertical hole down which it’s pumped is lined with concrete to protect surface water supplies from chemicals. The fracking fluid goes down some 5,000 feet to where it’s used to help break rock apart releasing the natural gas, and then most of the fluid is pumped back out again and carted away where it’s treated at a regulated and approved facility. For the fluid that stays behind, it’s down some 5,000 feet. That’s almost a mile of solid rock between where it sits and surface water supplies (which are located at about 300 feet). There’s no way any of that fluid will “seep up” into water supplies. And remember that most fluid is pumped back out again. So less than one percent of the fluid are chemicals from this list, and most of that comes out again, leaving behind a very very small amount of chemicals a mile below the surface and heavily diluted by water and sand.
-----------

If this industry is heavily regulated as it should be, in 2016 do the gains outweigh the cost?

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Tue Aug 09, 3:52 am

smokedpeppers wrote:List of 78 Chemicals Used in Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid in Pennsylvania

It starts off with the caveat that the list is not accurate. The truth is that big oil got their fully subsidized legislators to pass a law making it legal for them to NOT disclose those chemicals, even to the federal government..."trust us". LOfuckingL. No wonder water from the taps is flammable. Time to leave the fossil fuels where they are.

modern roots
super power poster
super power poster

Postby modern roots » Tue Aug 09, 4:27 am

Bohannon wrote:

Time to leave the fossil fuels where they are.

In a perfect world the first mass produced, assembly line cars of 100 years ago would have been all electric.
Not trying to argue Bo, just giving perspective to your comment. Oil and gas are a nasty reality, responsible for everything from the production of our food and bringing it to market to mass travel by airplane. I think most people would truly love to be free from the bondage of oil and gas. I know I would and will pounce on a legitimate option to an oil and gas car such as an all electric that gets 400 miles to a charge and is priced in the $20,000 range.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Tue Aug 09, 1:31 pm

Bohannon wrote:

It starts off with the caveat that the list is not accurate. The truth is that big oil got their fully subsidized legislators to pass a law making it legal for them to NOT disclose those chemicals, even to the federal government..."trust us". LOfuckingL. No wonder water from the taps is flammable. Time to leave the fossil fuels where they are.

don't put me on front street, no chemist degree here, do have bing tho and it provided a list, being as how said site's sponsored by the industry it's probably as accurate as anything flowing out of hillary's head .

never the less, swallowing a mouthful of any those 78 would probably not be wise?

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Tue Aug 09, 2:43 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:
Old Fart wrote:Black gold rush in the USA by fracking has slashed the country's energy bills and creat... - Daily Mail
https://apple.news/AhMNeeFziSCuckdy0TOUksw

So you are for Fracking? Our buddy SD has a house in the newly designated earthquake zone in NE Colorado proven to be caused by Fracking. I wonder what he thinks? A big problem in many states. Rudy, are you in an EQ zone? Has your ground water been affected?

We have had a dramatic increase in seismic activity in Oklahoma that has been determined to have been caused at least in part by
the fracking industry. My homes foundation, doors, windows and walls carry proof that the ground is definitely moving around. Even more so
in the counties north and west of here homes are being slowly destroyed by earthquakes. (daily reports here)
It is not so much the fracking, but the deep brine injection wells located nearby that are the culprit from my understanding. There is a
shitload of foul salty water and cake that they inject under pressure deep in the earth.(no doubt some of this circulates back into aquifers.
Flooding these "storage" wells causes a lot of pressure and upheaval down there causing the seismic activity.
What people aren`t talking about is those huge agricultural operations in these same areas that are doing the exact same thing with nitrate wastewater.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Mon Sep 05, 1:25 am

Rudy wrote:
MileHighDenver wrote:
Old Fart wrote:Black gold rush in the USA by fracking has slashed the country's energy bills and creat... - Daily Mail

So you are for Fracking? Our buddy SD has a house in the newly designated earthquake zone in NE Colorado proven to be caused by Fracking. I wonder what he thinks? A big problem in many states. Rudy, are you in an EQ zone? Has your ground water been affected?

We have had a dramatic increase in seismic activity in Oklahoma that has been determined to have been caused at least in part by
the fracking industry. My homes foundation, doors, windows and walls carry proof that the ground is definitely moving around. Even more so
in the counties north and west of here homes are being slowly destroyed by earthquakes. (daily reports here)
It is not so much the fracking, but the deep brine injection wells located nearby that are the culprit from my understanding. There is a
shitload of foul salty water and cake that they inject under pressure deep in the earth.(no doubt some of this circulates back into aquifers.
Flooding these "storage" wells causes a lot of pressure and upheaval down there causing the seismic activity.
What people aren`t talking about is those huge agricultural operations in these same areas that are doing the exact same thing with nitrate wastewater.

Although the word "fracking" has not been used in the media yet regarding the shallow earthquake a couple days ago felt in 5 states, 37 oil and gas wells are being shut down to investigate. Did you have any damage Rudy?

winnie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby winnie » Mon Sep 05, 10:51 pm

Rudy wrote:
MileHighDenver wrote:

That is one gross story

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Tue Sep 06, 2:49 pm

7AM I was on the potty. Geez.
I heard a roar like a huge cargo jet getting ready to land in my yard.
The house(on a slab) starts to shake and squeak, the dishes and glasses are rattling and clinking.
A large brass cow plaque behind the sink in the kitchen falls into the sink and shatters last nights wine glass.
The shaking and roaring goes on for over a minute. Pretty impressive. 5.6 I hear. Louder, but somehow a little less shaky
than the last big one we had. The only damages were the wine glass and a few extra cracks here and there.
My front door actually fits and closes better now since this one.
My wife said she was glad she was in bed for both earthquakes. She felt safer somehow.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Thu Sep 08, 4:24 pm

Rudy wrote:My front door actually fits and closes better now since this one.

lol

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Thu Oct 06, 12:38 pm

Well that's it! ... Don't think that a democratically arrived at decision will do you any good!

The fuckin' Government will hold you down while their chums in the fracking industry give it you up the arse!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-37567866

Be warned! ... It's coming to an area near you real soon!

Peace, Des.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Thu Oct 06, 11:25 pm

I am completely against fracking. It just sounds like one of the stupidest fucking ideas I have ever heard.

'Lets drill into the Earth's fucking core!' Brilliant.

I can see why they are doing it though Des. UK need to stimulate their economy now. Bloody immoral though.

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Fri Oct 07, 2:38 pm

Just pay attention to where they take the resulting wastewater. That is the key.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Fri Oct 21, 9:20 pm

The distance to the center of the Earth is 6,371 kilometers (3,958 mi), the crust is 35 kilometers (21 mi) thick, the mantle is 2855km (1774 mi) thick — and get this: the deepest we have ever drilled is the Kola Superdeep Borehole, which is just 12km deep

Generous_J wrote:'Lets drill into the Earth's fucking core!' Brilliant.

I was reading this article and thought I'd post this to ease your mind a bit.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Sat Oct 22, 12:06 pm

So youre saying weve only drilled half way into the Earth's 'crust'. Thats totally fine then. How could that be a bad thing?

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sat Oct 22, 2:25 pm

Generous_J wrote:So youre saying weve only drilled half way into the Earth's 'crust'. Thats totally fine then. How could that be a bad thing?

Exactly. We still have 4,000 miles to go before we reach the core. Maximum depth of a fracking drill is 10,000 feet. Sleep easy, no molten lava perking up anytime soon.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Sat Oct 22, 6:28 pm

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Fri Dec 16, 6:36 am

Jerri-Lynn Scofield wrote:The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) yesterday finally released the final version of a long-anticipated report–initially requested by Congress in 2010- on the impact of fracking on drinking water supplies. In this latest, final report, the EPA walked back earlier findings from a preliminary report issued last year, when the agency concluded that hydraulic fracturing– more widely known as fracking– was not having “widespread, systematic impacts on drinking water.”

Will be interesting to see if the Trump administration reverses yet again these findings.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Sun Dec 18, 3:33 am

Can Microwave Technology Compete With Fracking? . apparently this engineering been around since 83 . who knows, perhaps this aproach could start another 'centralia, pa.' like disaster .
http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Gener ... cking.html

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Mon Jan 02, 11:00 pm

reading sherwood forest is going to be fracked . say it ain't so, not there .

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Sat Jan 07, 4:39 pm

Oklahoma registered 1,829 earthquakes last year, with Kansas coming in with 1,225. Attributed to water injection in deep underground wells.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/oklahoma-n ... ng/223840/

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Sat Jan 07, 9:05 pm

Not advocating either for or against fracking. However, I was wondering if any of you are willing to give up
Your cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc.

Also, are you willing to stop traveling by plane to the destination of your choice?

Hate big oil and fracking all you like, but realize modern life and many of its conveniences (like living in a warm house) depend upon it.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sat Jan 07, 11:52 pm

NewYork, New York wrote:Not advocating either for or against fracking. However, I was wondering if any of you are willing to give up

Also, are you willing to stop traveling by plane to the destination of your choice?

Hate big oil and fracking all you like, but realize modern life and many of its conveniences (like living in a warm house) depend upon it.

Where do drinkable water, breathable air and stable ground come in on your list of things we cannot do without?

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Sun Jan 08, 12:15 am

NewYork, New York wrote:Not advocating either for or against fracking. However, I was wondering if any of you are willing to give up

Henry Ford was at first going to have his cars run on soy beans, but was talked out of it by standard oil. We can still run our toys on sustainable resources and not be bowing to a handful on billionaires who wish to destroy our environment for a few billion more.

NewYork, New York wrote:Also, are you willing to stop traveling by plane to the destination of your choice?

I would be, as long as all aircraft are removed from flying, including all military aircraft, as it would go a long way in helping fix our warming trend.

NewYork, New York wrote:Hate big oil and fracking all you like, but realize modern life and many of its conveniences (like living in a warm house) depend upon it.

They really don't NYNY, if our government would sink more research in to alternative energies, civilization would be far better off, than feeding billionaires more cash to further destroy our planet.

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Tue Jan 10, 4:13 am

Bohannon wrote:

Where do drinkable water, breathable air and stable ground come in on your list of things we cannot do without?

I ask again. Are you willing to give up your motorcycles, air travel, your car, air conditioning, etc.?

Simple questions can be answered Bo.

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Tue Jan 10, 4:15 am

alpha wrote:

Henry Ford was at first going to have his cars run on soy beans, but was talked out of it by standard oil. We can still run our toys on sustainable resources and not be bowing to a handful on billionaires who wish to destroy our environment for a few billion more.

NewYork, New York wrote:Also, are you willing to stop traveling by plane to the destination of your choice?

I would be, as long as all aircraft are removed from flying, including all military aircraft, as it would go a long way in helping fix our warming trend.

NewYork, New York wrote:Hate big oil and fracking all you like, but realize modern life and many of its conveniences (like living in a warm house) depend upon it.

They really don't NYNY, if our government would sink more research in to alternative energies, civilization would be far better off, than feeding billionaires more cash to further destroy our planet.

If alternative energy was so readily viable, solar, wind and other forms of alternative energy would have supplanted big oil by now.

Billions and billions have been spend on alternative energy and so far have had little impact on energy consumption.

BTW, I am curious. How many millions of acre of farmland would need to be diverted from food production to produce all this soybean oil of which you speak?

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Tue Jan 10, 10:27 am

The bottom line is this ...

Would you be happy to have fracking in operation near you, your kids and grandkids?

I'm guessing the answer will be a resounding "NO!"

You only have to look at the Volkswagen emissions scandal to know that big corporations are prepared to lie like fuck about how green their products are!

Peace, Des.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Tue Jan 10, 3:57 pm

des wrote:The bottom line is this ...

Would you be happy to have fracking in operation near you, your kids and grandkids?

You only have to look at the Volkswagen emissions scandal to know that big corporations are prepared to lie like fuck about how green their products are!

Peace, Des.

That VW prick was arrested at the airport in Miami yesterday.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Tue Jan 10, 6:07 pm

NewYork, New York wrote:If alternative energy was so readily viable, solar, wind and other forms of alternative energy would have supplanted big oil by now.

Billions and billions have been spend on alternative energy and so far have had little impact on energy consumption.

That's because big oil spends billions and billions to suppress alternative energies, which would only cut into their profits.

NewYork, New York wrote:BTW, I am curious. How many millions of acre of farmland would need to be diverted from food production to produce all this soybean oil of which you speak?

I have no idea, since i never knew Ford's formula. But in his day a century, or more ago it wouldn't have taken much, just like standard oil telling him that earth's oil fields would last hundreds of years before it could run out.

Predictions, usually even worse than bad opinions.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Tue Jan 10, 6:21 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:
des wrote:The bottom line is this ...

Peace, Des.

That VW prick was arrested at the airport in Miami yesterday.

Does the state of bliss test for emissions? Virginia does, in it's most populated areas of northern Va., the capital and the Va. Beach and Norfolk areas. However, nobody tests diesel engines, as they're not required to be tested. Wondering if it's that way elsewhere in the US and if so, why all this hoopla over VW? Surely our military pollutes way more than VW ever has, which is not to say two wrongs make a right, only that the aforementioned notion is quite similar to our political system.

Return to “All Politics”