Betty Boop

All about dutch coffeeshop culture
and it's related items..

Beelzebozo
super poster
super poster

Betty Boop

Postby Beelzebozo » Sun Apr 05, 11:17 pm

Is Betty Boop still open? If so, do they still make hash milkshakes? My friend's band is touring over there, and they really love milkshakes. Do any other coffee shops make "special" milkshakes? I tried one at Betty Boop a long time ago and it was awesome.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Mon Apr 06, 12:32 am

A friend just told me that CS420 (de Kuil to old timers) is no more :>(

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Mon Apr 06, 12:54 am

Bohannon wrote:A friend just told me that CS420 (de Kuil to old timers) is no more :>(

According to FBN they're open until Jan. 1 of next year.

Beelzebozo Betty Boops is long gone, but there's a Betty's Two open and you can find their address and menu at FBN's site.

http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/BettyTwo ... tyTwo.html

Nothing on their weed or hash menus about milkshakes, but perhaps give them a call and inquire.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Mon Apr 06, 1:06 am

Well, according to a guy who just walked by, they are a pannekoeken huis...unless he was that stoned, lol

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Mon Apr 06, 2:53 am

Then do it one trick! Do it today!

nemesystem
super poster
super poster

Postby nemesystem » Mon Apr 06, 4:30 am

Betty Boop was a great shop. I don't ever remember them making a hash milkshake though.

Abraxas on the other hand had some killer milkshakes....the peach mango comes to mind...

The last time i was in Amsterdam I resorted to buying febo milkshakes and adding my own hash back at the hotel.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Mon Apr 06, 5:41 am

Bohannon wrote:A friend just told me that CS420 (de Kuil to old timers) is no more :>(

De Kuil was never the same after it stopped serving alcohol! It's still a shame if it has gone though! It was one of the few shops I visited on every single trip!

Peace, Des.

FlyByNite
super power poster
super power poster

Postby FlyByNite » Mon Apr 06, 6:52 am

De Kuil bought out Dutch Flowers so they will still have a shop when 420 closes in January.

Phase 1, July 1, 2014

Ben, Kolksteeg
Betty Boop, Nieuwezijds Kolk
Gouden Boon, Da Costastraat
The Grasshopper, Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal
Homegrown Fantasy, Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal
De Kade, Stadionkade
Magic, Herengracht
Ocean, Dusartstraat
The Power, Wibautstraat
The Wauw Shop, Spaarndammerdijk

Phase 2, January 2015

Abraxas, Spuistraat
Anyday, Korte Kolksteeg
Biba, Hazenstraat
The Energy Shop, Spuistraat

Phase 3, January 2016

The Bulldog, Leidseplein Saved
El Guapo, Nieuwe Nieuwstraat
Get Down to It, Korte Leidsedwarsstraat Saved
De Graal, Albert Cuypstraat
High Time, Jan van Galenstraat
De Kroon Twee, Oudebrugsteeg
De Kroon Drie, Rietwijkerstraat
De Kuil, Oudebrugsteeg
Little, Vijzelgracht
Lucifera, Frederik Hendrikstraat
Mediterranee,Spuistraat
Mellow Yellow, Vijzelgracht (1967 first licensed shop in Amsterdam)
Resin, Hekelveld
The Rookies Bar, Korte Leidsedwarsstraat Saved
Space Mountain, Dusartstraat
Today, Dusartstraat
Utopia, Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal

Maybe since they now own DF they are letting the old location go. The 18:00 opening time has got to be a drag on business.

Enjoy
FlyByNite

Beelzebozo
super poster
super poster

Postby Beelzebozo » Mon Apr 06, 7:28 am

Thanks for the info, guys! I'm pretty sure the hash milkshake was never on the menu at Betty Boop. They just sold regular milkshakes. You had to supply the hash, but they would blend it in the shake for you. The Febo shake might have to suffice, that would definitely be the easiest DIY option.

Bummer about De Kuil/420 Cafe! I always liked that place. Remember the American ex-pat bud-tender there named Patrick? He was a cool dude.

My friend's band is playing the Roadburn Festival in Tilburg this week. They'll only have a few hours to hang out in Amsterdam after flying in Wednesday morning. What are the best coffee shops closest to Central Station that they should check out? 420 Cafe? Central on Prins Hendrikkade? They've never been to the Dam and they only have a few hours to kill, so I don't want to confuse them with hard-to-find shops. Any other coffee shops besides those two, that are close to Central Station, that you guys would recommend? I haven't been over there since 2008, and I know a lot has changed, so I appreciate your avice. Thanks!

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Mon Apr 06, 9:19 am

Beelzebozo wrote:Thanks for the info, guys! I'm pretty sure the hash milkshake was never on the menu at Betty Boop. They just sold regular milkshakes. You had to supply the hash, but they would blend it in the shake for you. The Febo shake might have to suffice, that would definitely be the easiest DIY option.

Bummer about De Kuil/420 Cafe! I always liked that place. Remember the American ex-pat bud-tender there named Patrick? He was a cool dude.

My friend's band is playing the Roadburn Festival in Tilburg this week. They'll only have a few hours to hang out in Amsterdam after flying in Wednesday morning. What are the best coffee shops closest to Central Station that they should check out? 420 Cafe? Central on Prins Hendrikkade? They've never been to the Dam and they only have a few hours to kill, so I don't want to confuse them with hard-to-find shops. Any other coffee shops besides those two, that are close to Central Station, that you guys would recommend? I haven't been over there since 2008, and I know a lot has changed, so I appreciate your avice. Thanks!

Sounds like De Kuil has gone, and Central is a buy and fly only these days!

Print them off a coffeeshop map and send them down Haarlemmerstraat ...

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/Map.html

Most of the coffeeshops there serve breakfast with your spliff!

Peace, Des.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Mon Apr 06, 12:06 pm

What do those 'phases' represent FBN?

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Mon Apr 06, 12:08 pm

Generous_J wrote:What do those 'phases' represent FBN?

Phases of the project to make Amsterdam the dullest capital city in Europe? Expect real results before the end of the decade kids.
Last edited by Dazzler on Mon Apr 06, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Mon Apr 06, 12:12 pm

They can't be closing all those coffeeshops?

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: with his mouth full of teddies, jumbo's urinating seems defiant.

Postby chigusa » Mon Apr 06, 2:21 pm

they've been at it for a few years now. I'm not sure if it's still the case but at one point there was an actual effort to change the name, red light district, to, red carpet area.
stupid cunts.

patrick

Postby patrick » Mon Apr 06, 2:24 pm

Try the acd site for current coffeeshop info. This site is dead,

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Red Pleb » Mon Apr 06, 4:18 pm

Beelzebozo wrote:They'll only have a few hours to hang out in Amsterdam after flying in Wednesday morning. What are the best coffee shops closest to Central Station that they should check out? 420 Cafe? Central on Prins Hendrikkade? They've never been to the Dam and they only have a few hours to kill, so I don't want to confuse them with hard-to-find shops. Any other coffee shops besides those two, that are close to Central Station, that you guys would recommend? !

If I had a couple of hours and wanted to keep it simple , I'd stick a right in , coming out of Central Station and walk the 5 or 6 minutes to Haarlemmerstraat. Better Amsty vibe imo , than what's on offer the other way and it's all there .

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Mon Apr 06, 4:22 pm

chigusa wrote:they've been at it for a few years now. I'm not sure if it's still the case but at one point there was an actual effort to change the name, red light district, to, red carpet area.
stupid cunts.

Haha. The fucking arrogance and hubris of these cunts.

Still, on the plus side there's no way Amsterdam hoteliers are going to be able to maintain these insane room prices when the competition from places like Germany, Spain and Portugal really kick in. They're going to have to accept a lower standard of living along with their new, shiny, squeaky-clean image.

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Mon Apr 06, 4:24 pm

And at their prices, they're competing with far-east destinations. You've got to think "Would I rather blow a couple of grand on a week in Amsterdam or two weeks in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Ko Pha Ngan*?"

*Or nearest equivalent

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Mon Apr 06, 6:13 pm

Dazzler wrote:
chigusa wrote:they've been at it for a few years now. I'm not sure if it's still the case but at one point there was an actual effort to change the name, red light district, to, red carpet area.
stupid cunts.

Still, on the plus side there's no way Amsterdam hoteliers are going to be able to maintain these insane room prices when the competition from places like Germany, Spain and Portugal really kick in. They're going to have to accept a lower standard of living along with their new, shiny, squeaky-clean image.

They must be feeling the pinch already!

The recent ruling that bans the renting of apartments for less than a week was as a result of the hoteliers whinging like bitches to the Council that private owners were doing them out of business!

Peace, Des.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Mon Apr 06, 6:22 pm

Red Pleb wrote:
Beelzebozo wrote:They'll only have a few hours to hang out in Amsterdam after flying in Wednesday morning. What are the best coffee shops closest to Central Station that they should check out? 420 Cafe? Central on Prins Hendrikkade? They've never been to the Dam and they only have a few hours to kill, so I don't want to confuse them with hard-to-find shops. Any other coffee shops besides those two, that are close to Central Station, that you guys would recommend? !

If I had a couple of hours and wanted to keep it simple , I'd stick a right in , coming out of Central Station and walk the 5 or 6 minutes to Haarlemmerstraat. Better Amsty vibe imo , than what's on offer the other way and it's all there .

There are some good shops along that stretch. Dampkring and Greenhouse both have shops there now, plus Popeyes and Barneys. They ought to be able to find decent gear in one of those shops.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Tue Apr 07, 5:30 pm

[quote="FlyByNite"]De Kuil bought out Dutch Flowers so they will still have a shop when 420 closes in January.

Phase 1, July 1, 2014

Ben, Kolksteeg
Betty Boop, Nieuwezijds Kolk
Gouden Boon, Da Costastraat
The Grasshopper, Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal
Homegrown Fantasy, Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal
De Kade, Stadionkade
Magic, Herengracht
Ocean, Dusartstraat
The Power, Wibautstraat
The Wauw Shop, Spaarndammerdijk

Phase 2, January 2015

Abraxas, Spuistraat
Anyday, Korte Kolksteeg
Biba, Hazenstraat
The Energy Shop, Spuistraat

Phase 3, January 2016

The Bulldog, Leidseplein Saved
El Guapo, Nieuwe Nieuwstraat
Get Down to It, Korte Leidsedwarsstraat Saved
De Graal, Albert Cuypstraat
High Time, Jan van Galenstraat
De Kroon Twee, Oudebrugsteeg
De Kroon Drie, Rietwijkerstraat
De Kuil, Oudebrugsteeg
Little, Vijzelgracht
Lucifera, Frederik Hendrikstraat
Mediterranee,Spuistraat
Mellow Yellow, Vijzelgracht (1967 first licensed shop in Amsterdam)
Resin, Hekelveld
The Rookies Bar, Korte Leidsedwarsstraat Saved
Space Mountain, Dusartstraat
Today, Dusartstraat
Utopia, Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal

Maybe since they now own DF they are letting the old location go. The 18:00 opening time has got to be a drag on business.

Enjoy
FlyByNite[/quote

The list are shops that are scheduled to close? Is my understanding correct?

Thanks in advance....

Dogbreath

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Tue Apr 07, 8:05 pm

Dogbreath wrote:The list are shops that are scheduled to close? Is my understanding correct?

That is correct Dogbreath, but it's apparent that some are closing beforehand.

and you're welcome in hindsight.

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Thu Apr 09, 3:05 am

Please be not true. My all time favorite.

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Thu Apr 09, 5:48 am

patrick wrote:Try the acd site for current coffeeshop info. This site is dead,

Seems you are deader than a doornail

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Apr 09, 2:30 pm

from my understanding - No One makes hash milkshakes anymore - they have been banned for a couple of years.

Buy the hash - ground it up and stir it in... it's a DYI

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Thu Apr 09, 2:36 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:from my understanding - No One makes hash milkshakes anymore - they have been banned for a couple of years.

Sounds like a waste of money to me! You'd have to ingest a large amount of hash to have any noticeable effect!

Peace, Des.

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Thu Apr 09, 2:44 pm

des wrote:
Dazzler wrote:
stupid cunts.

They must be feeling the pinch already!

The recent ruling that bans the renting of apartments for less than a week was as a result of the hoteliers whinging like bitches to the Council that private owners were doing them out of business!

Peace, Des.

It's anti-AirBnB legislation. Instead of becoming cheaper and more flexible and offering a decent service that people want, they run to the government to protect their business model just like the BPI, the RIAA and the banks. The Dutch never used to be like this: blocking the path of technology and progress. They always used to embrace it. Something is wrong with the Netherlands.

Coincidentally, planning legislation like this that was widely ignored in London has just been struck down.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Thu Apr 09, 6:38 pm

des wrote:
worldcitizen1723 wrote:from my understanding - No One makes hash milkshakes anymore - they have been banned for a couple of years.

Sounds like a waste of money to me! You'd have to ingest a large amount of hash to have any noticeable effect!

Peace, Des.

Doesn't take that much good hash to do the trick, perhaps somewhere between half a gram and a full one. The fat in the ice cream will deliver the hash much quicker to your bloodstream, than eating hash alone. You can substitute the milkshake with a small container of full fat yogurt.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Apr 09, 6:58 pm

alpha wrote:
des wrote:

Peace, Des.

Doesn't take that much good hash to do the trick, perhaps somewhere between half a gram and a full one. The fat in the ice cream will deliver the hash much quicker to your bloodstream, than eating hash alone. You can substitute the milkshake with a small container of full fat yogurt.

yup
even a hot chocolate with whipped cream.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Thu Apr 09, 7:22 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:
alpha wrote:
des wrote:

Peace, Des.

yup
even a hot chocolate with whipped cream.

I've never tried it in a shake or hot chocolate! I'm basing my opinion on the hash cookies I've tried, which didn't do a thing, and an unfortunate incident where a 'teenth of 'Paki Black' I'd tied in a condom and swallowed suffered a major malfunction on the flight over to Turkey!

Peace, Des.

Return to “Coffeeshop board”