amsterdam journal from cannabis cup 2002

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

excitableone
power poster
power poster

amsterdam journal from cannabis cup 2002

Postby excitableone » Wed Jan 29, 12:19 am

this is only day 1 through 8...the other 3 will be finished soon???

day 1
the day started pretty normal except for the 10,000 butterflies in my stomach. kevin took us to the airport ( kevin's my best friend ) our flight was a half hour delayed which was upsetting at first, but we still made our connection in philadelphia to amsterdam with time to spare. the flight was real long and really boring. being 6 foot 4 doesn't make airplanes much fun! we were supposed to arrive in amsterdam at 10:00am but made it in at 9:25am instead, bonus time for us!! schipol is a very nice airport, i've been to a few and i think this one takes the cake. very clean and seems to be a hangout for some people. i also noticed how easy it was for an american in a foreign airport to find our way around, we went down to the baggage claim and picked up our bag then headed over to the atm to withdraw my first euro's..i got some funny looking euro's and headed over to the change booth to break down the 50 euro notes ( less confusion that way ) we then went through customs and got my first stamp on my passport..whoo hooo! we headed off to get our tickets to central station, purchased those with little problems..the trains were much nicer looking than i imagined.we got into the train and headed off to amsterdam, no problems so far. as we sat in anticipation for our big arrival the ticket agent guy's came into our car and asked for our tickets, we obliged and showed him our tickets. the younger of the 3 said in a firm voice," this is the first class train you have second class tickets" i shrugged my shoulder and apologized. the older one asked when we were leaving amsterdam? i told him we had 10 days there, he just told us to pay attention on the way back and that we could fininsh the ride in first class. the train conductor was announcing the different stops in dutch and not english, so that was making us slightly nervous not wanting to miss the stop..i knew what central station looked like in pictures but not in person..he did announce the arrival in english however. once we unpacked our jackets we were on our way. the moment we stepped out of central station all the planning and research went straight into the trash, i became overwhelmed very fast. i still can't explain why, i just got so absorbed i guess i freaked. we walked up damrak not really knowing if we wanted to find the bed and breakfast on our own or take a cab..we picked the cab option. i figured how hard could this be the name of our street is easy to pronounce no problem right? wrong! the cab driver acted like he never heard of such a street. turns out the J in dutch is silent so ja is pronounced ya and our street is called jacob catskade so it's not pronounced the same as how we would say it here. after showing him the map and pointing to the street he finally figured it out..of course he took the long way, we figured that out real soon..our b&b is a 20 minute WALK from central station he managed to drive for about 20 minutes. but who cares we're here and that's all that matters. we rang the bell to the b&b and finally met vera the owner of the b&b, she seems very friendly she gave us the lowdown on how they served breakfast and gave us the key to our own personal entrance. after all that we finally got to head off into amsterdam. we knew from day one of planning that we wanted to go to barney's for the sweet tooth and maybe some lunch. once we located barney's which was easy, we went in to experiance the first time buying weed in a public building to smoke in public without fear of jail. i knew the basics for how the coffeeshop's work so i approached the dealer and asked for the menu, he handed me a list of what they had and without looking i ordered 2 grams of sweet tooth cause that was the plan only to hear the man say, " we don't carry sweet tooth anymore" !!! DAMN! he quickly let me know that they had the next generation of sweet tooth called MORNING GLORY, and that was what they were entering in the cup in 3 days. we purchased 2 grams and sat at an empty table, we looked over the food menu and nothing sounded that great, so we just ordered some orange juice. i rolled up a nice joint and began to experiance first hand what dutch tolerance was all about.. WOW this bud was really nice, very smelly and crystally. good high nothing overpowering, i've had much stronger back home, but back home i gotta hide inside my house in order to smoke in peace. the bud was 10 euro a gram, which i thought may have been to steep from what i've heard. but it was a fat bag! as we sat enjoying our afternoon the dealer came over and asked us if we would mind moving to another table in order to accomidate a big group that came in, we had no problem with that and he sat us next to two ladies. they were from england and were happy to shed some light on the rules of coffeeshops etc...they mixed tobacco in their spliff and were blown away that we smoked only pure spliffs, we gave them a hit off ours and they fell in love with that sweet pure taste. they explained that in england top notch gear is really expensive so they have to make the bags last so that's why they mix in tobacco. we had some small talk, and they gave me a pack of their papers saying that the papers the shops use suck and we'll need these. we decided to head off to see more of this beautiful city..we explored for a while then decided we were both feeling kinda jet lagged so we made one last coffeeshop stop for the day. we headed off to the grey area. not expecting a seat i was shocked to find a whole row of bar seats empty, the only other people in there happened to be some guys we met at the airport on the way in to amsterdam...wow small world! i bought 2 grams of the cup entry which was suggested over the double bubblegum it was called grey haze..i also inquired about the kief i've heard so much about, john the dealer seemed shocked that i knew about it and ordered it. he told us to enjoy and gave me a bong from the collection. i knew this was gonna be interesting smoking kief hits out of the bong and hits off a spliff one of the guy's rolled with jet lag in full force! i was right, we both got trashed!!!! we needed food bad, so we went to a little place next door and ordered some fries since at that point it was all i could recognise on the dutch menu. after the much needed carbs we headed back to the b&b for a bit of sleep...did i mention that i my hands were shaking each time i approached the dealers counter today?? i still have that built in american fear of getting caught buying pot i guess. goodnight!
day 2
the jet lag seems to have settled a bit this morning, we woke up at 6:00am and breakfast wasn't until 9:00am, so we opened the window shades and watched amsterdam wake up this was quite a site, all those bicycles peddling everywhere. breakfast was very simple, but quite good..we had an assortment of different meats,cheeses,and breads..served with cereal and hot tea..Mmmm.. after breakfast we got showered and headed out again..the rijksmuseum was # 1 on our list, but first we had a date with a big fat grey mist cone mixed with some kief we toked that up behind the museum in the big grass field..after getting in the right frame of mind for a day of art and culture we headed into the museum..i really enjoyed this museum alot, the dutch paintings was hands down the best part of the museum for me i also enjoyed the fashion exhibit that was there, seeing all the early european clothing and accesories was interesting as well. we spent a good amount of time in this museum, and i reccomend that you come here when you have a whole day to blow, otherwise your left rushing through it. after the museum we headed over to the NOON for the famous blueberry nuggs, there were no seats available so we decided to go somewhere else for the time being. we found a place called consious dreams, a smart shop that has computers. we bought some time on the computer and drank a energy drink ( which sucked ) and tried to send off some emails. after completing a very long email i attempted to send it and it wouldn't send, i told the counter girl and she said, " sorry that computer can't send out emails" i had forgot that i could use my hotmail but oh well.. we bought the SMOKER'S GUIDE TO AMSTERDAM and some other junk and headed out... roll out! i also bought those pre-rolled hollow cones, which are a pain in the ass to fill but well worth the patience. we saw that there was a planet hollywood on the map, so we headed in that direction only to not find the restaurant. we saw the sign but no restaurant? i figured this area had alot of choices so we looked for something down there, that's when i saw coffeeshop smokey..we went in and glanced over the menu i ordered one gram of orange bud ( at this point i still thought you had to buy at least a gram in order to stay there) it looked like normal good green, nothing special like the previous buds we bought. so i rolled up a blueberry cone instead, good choice the blueberry even though it didn't taste that great was very potent!!! good high! we left smokey to locate some food, we found a nice looking italian place so we choose to dine there. couldn't tell you the name of the place but i'm sure theres 100 of the same place all over amsterdam. it got late on us quick so we headed back to the b&b to catch some ZZZZ's..
day 3 november 23rd 2002

woke up today to a clear, sunny sky..only hoped it would stay that way all day long? another great breakfast, those seem to be helping us alot, we normally never eat breakfast but it was good to do here. plus the hot tea really helps my throat stay clear. today was another day of adventure as we wondered off to find a coffeeshop reccomended by p-nut the bass player from 311. he suggested we try caffe chocolata, that it was one of his favorites..good decision, this shop rocked our heads loose..the bud we got looked sugar coated and stunk so good.hehe, we also bought 4 hash bon-bon's 2 dark and 2 milk chocolate. those were for the canal tour we planned on taking. chocolata is a very nice neighborhood shop, the staff was very nice and she sold me a 2 gram bag of choco mist for 12 euro. the bon bon's were pretty cheap as well.after finishing our resinated gooey joint we went out to find a cheesy canal tour.the hard part was picking one, we choose one that was ready to leave in 10 minutes so we got inside and found an empty seat, on the way to my seat i saw a few younger guys rolling a big spliff. i was curious if they were just preparing for the return or would they light up in the boat.......they lit up in the boat causing a near fight the guy behind us reached over and grabbed the kid and told him to put it out!!! this seemed to only make things worse as the idiot smoker refused..my fiance asked him to please just put it out, but it was to late now it was time for the now upset female boat driver to lay down her fury..she went off in dutch confusing the idiot he eventually through it out but after much drama! the canal tour was really cheesy, but i think everyone should experiance one..after the drama canal tour we went to the nearby bluebird coffeeshop for a smoke and something to drink. i rolled up a joint of the orange bud from the smokey and was pretty dissapointed it was bunk crap!!! i then packed a bowl of choco mist and proceeded to enjoy the moment! for a tourist shop i kinda like the bluebird lot's of seats and a laidback place to chill. after the bluebird i needed to find an atm, which turned into a mini journey after finding one we headed towards the red light district to SIGHTSEE!! bad vibes in that area, i only hoped that we woulnn't have to return to that area to often. we weren't approached by any drug dealers, but the vibe was a negative one in that area so we headed out! we went back towards the touristy area to get that out of the way we went into the grasshopper, i only wanted to look at the menu but somehow ended up ordering some bubblegum weed, which turned out to be alright..i really didn't want to order it but i guess the whole experiance of buying was getting to me i'm starting to like how easy this is. we bought some trinkets and left to eat. we decided to stop at the hard rock cafe since it was on our list of things to do. the food was really good, we both ordered hickory burgers and a chicken spring roll thingy for an appetizer..all was fresh and tasty! we ordered a apple cobbler for dessert, it stole the show!! very yummy! we left there and stopped off at a coffeeshop around the corner from the b&b called de republiek, we got some hot teas ( mango ) and a gram of power plant. the dealer offered us a hit off his hash spliff which i knew was gonna have tobacco in it, which it did. but we hit it out of courtesy..we left there with spinning heads from the tobacco and went to bed! goodnight!!! tomorrow is the start of the cup so we need to get some rest!!
day 4 november 24th 2002

yes indeed another day in paradise!! not a cloud in the sky all day today, i can't help but think we brought las vegas weather to amsterdam..we did our normal breakfast routine then headed out to begin the 2002 cannabis cup, we headed for the pax which is down the street from the heineken musuem. on the way there it was easy to see why i decided to hide my judges pass in shame, a lot of the people wearing their passes were loud and intrusive..we found the pax with ease thanks to the fine navagating skills of sabrina, we couldn't help but laugh at the fact that the pax is located right next door to a police station. once inside this packed house we found where we needed to go and proceeded to get our judges passes.in line i lit up a cone mixed with the grey haze and the grey mist kif a now ritual for me in the morning here..we met some really novice smokers in line who had just arrived that morning, we gave them some hits of our cone and shared some insight to what we had already discovered.we w we walked around the pax for a little while, they have 3 floors to this place the ground floor is where all the seminars and what not go on and the second is a convention hall of sorts the third is a snackbar with great tosti's and a convention hall as well.. we smoked a few more spliffs and headed out to begin judging 27 coffeeshops..
the noon was our first stop since greenhouse was closed still, since we had already purchased some of the blueberry entry the other day we only needed to get our passports stamped. we left the noon and headed for the rookies coffeeshop, they're entry was rookies skunk which was very nice pot it was super skunky and the high was amazing. i personally enjoyed this shop a lot, it has a warm feel to it. the next stop was the dolphins, the weed they entered was white dolphin. this was some real nice weed the high kicked in immediatly we chilled out in the downstairs area smoking bong hits in the relaxed underwater world at the dolphins. i liked the decor of this place, it had a good vibe going on. at this point we became famished and needed food fast!! we went to the ristorante italiano pisa pizzeria which i believe is the name of 99% of the italian food places here.. we ordered some grilled asparagus with 3 italian cheeses and garlic bread with herb butter for appetizers then a pizza with artichokes...Mmmmmm just what we needed, learned a good lesson here on how not to get ripped off with bottle water..order a side of ice with the bottle otherwise at least at this place the guy brought out a glass of tap which i saw him pour..not one to complain at a restaurant especially in a foreign country i enjoyed my tap water, which was 100% better than vegas tap!! next stop was the rokerij coffeeshop on lange leidsedwaarstraat which is a busy little area..to this point this is the nicest coffeeshop i've seen so far, the vibe is very laid back and comfortable even in this hectic place. the ladies of rokerij make it even better, every girl in this place was super hot and very attentive to your needs. the entry was called heaven's delight and when i opened the bag i knew why they called it that....it smells like heaven, or at least to the stoners nose it did! the smell was very unique very sweet with a dryer sheet like essence.the buds were cured to perfection, the only thing that made this weed not perfect was the taste, in a joint it had 0 flavor. the high made up for it though it was not to strong but made the vibe at rokerij that much nicer..very mellow head high, went nice with the live dj they had spinning. we had a strawberry orange juice drink that was super delicious cured my cottonmouth instantly! sleepiness was starting to kick in so we found our way to katsu which was packed when we arrived, we bought the judges special which was a gram of s.a.g.e grass, and a gram of scoobie snaxx hash for 23 euro. also included were 2 stash boxes, 2 t shirts, 2 pins, and a few stickers..guess they wanna win best coffeeshop with bribes..he he . we still had a long night ahead so with katsu being packed we headed back to the pax to judge the s.a.g.e entry.. this was a treat for us, we normally don't like sativa's but this one was special it had a great sage like smell and tasted real sweet and also sage like. the buds were dense but light and fluffy if that makes sence.very crystally stuff. nice end of the night weed, but not tonight we still had more to do. we relaxed at the pax for an hour or so then headed out to the melkweg, it took us a while to find this place for some reason we ended outside the melkweg restaurant which leads to the concert area but we didn't find this out till later. this place was real cool for a concert venue it has two different rooms which were host to different things this evening. the greenhouse had a booth set up which was giving super kali mist vaporiser hits, i took a few of these and felt real nice..i like the fact that you can watch a concert and spark up if you like with no worries of getting kicked out of the show!!! the nights entertainment was DE LA SOUL which was alright, but after today i needed some sleep so halfway through we left and headed home..stopped off at our late night conveniance store, which is one of few i've seen here so far!!! the pastry's are delicious!! oh i forgot we went to the bulldog for trinkets ONLY and a water then smoked a cone!
day 5 november 25th 2002

today was the first day of crappy amsterdam weather it poured all day long with a nice wind on top of that..bone chilling weather for us las vegas kids! we headed out to the kashmir lounge first today, this was a real nice LARGE coffeeshop the entry was another pure sativa called ghandi's sativa we also bought the hash entry called dutch delight, the weed was cured like crap..seemed to be rushed, so we decided instead of a joint we smoked out of our glass pipe topped with the hash this was some really nice perma stoned shit! we had some hot tea and melted into the comfy couches at kashmir lounge..after we got ourselves together we headed out to softland coffeeshop, this place was pretty nice they had a few computers and a decent size seating area..the two female dealers were very nice, we ordered the entry which was white smurf we also tried the strawberry space shakes..the joint kicked our asses this was some good pot! after we finished our joint we downed the shakes which tasted amazing! we used the computers to finally email everyone. after we finished here we left for tweede kamer which is a very tiny coffeeshop no seats available so we took the n.y.c diesel entry and left for the dampkring which is another tiny coffeeshop..we got lucky here though and found two seats. sabrina went up and got our entry here which was another soma entry buhdah's sister, we judged the nyc diesel first, which wasn't to heavy letting us judge the buhdah's sister next. the buhdah's sister wasn't heavy either but i liked the clean high this pot had, you can tell soma takes his time and loves what he does it shows with his great pot..remembering what the get lost guide to amsterdam told us we headed to the frites store next door which i must reccomend as well they were amazing! we left there feeling great so we headed to the bushdoctor next, this place was scary at first the dealers seemed to be talking trash to some guys in front of us but i guessed the guys were cup attendee's acting up! i was told this place had great hash so i purchased the entry which was called daisey cutter, which is the name of a bomb the u.s was dropping in afganistan..we also got the pot entry which was called sv-1 we went to the third floor and vegged out for what seemed like hours! this stuff was beyond potent!!!! the hash like the name emplies is the BOMB which bombed both of our heads..we decided not to smoke to much more of this and save the rest for home.. we went to rusland coffeeshop soon after we floated out of the bushdoctor. what i remember of the next shop is very limited due to putting a nice size chunk of daisey cutter in each of our hot chocolates at rusland. the weed i wish i could judge again to be fair, cause once we smoked it i knew the hot chocolate was kicking in, cause no pot has messed with our heads like this was!!! the pot from rusland was called k2 by the way. we needed fresh air pronto!!!!! so we left rusland for the coolest place yet!!!!! the sensi museum coffeeshop. not really a coffeeshop, but the upstairs is a nice chill out area with rugs, and pillows everywhere!! there was a guy upstairs giving out spliffs and vaporiser hits of sensi's many varietys..this turned out to be a highlight in the cup events i loved this guy!!! he gave me about 4 hits of jack herer on the vaporiser 2 hits of mother's finest and 2 hits of master kush!! on top of all that he gave me 3 different dutch rolled pure cones 1 master kush 1 jack herer and 1 mother's finest..the jack herer has a nice taste that i loved! i feel stupid for not finding a shop that sold it! next time! we ate at the hard rock again tonight i had the pasta bolagnese which was perfect i needed the carbs after today!!! took a cab home tonight for a change, i love the g.p.s units in the cabs!!!

day 6 november 26th 2002

today was a big reason why i will never judge in the cup ever again on top of other reasons i won't go into here..we had about 14 shops to do in order to judge them all.. no easy task, we usually buy a gram, roll it, smoke and judge...sometimes we have to smoke more than one strain at one place in order to catch up..im to much of a chill person to rush like this..
the morning started out gloomy but the weather god's were on our sides so far and they didn't dissapoint today! it was sunny and gorgeous all day. our first stop in this frenzy of a day was the gem of a coffeeshop brandend zand, which is one of the nicest and friendliest places in amsterdam the entry was called millinuem power. a very picture perfect looking bud the smell was sweet the high was very creeper, it took a while to kick in..so we loaded up some daisey cutter to pick it up! needless to say the walk from brandend zand to barney's was a blur! we did walk through some cool street markets which i need to revisit next time. once we arrived at barney's the blur only got more blurry!! we had already tried the entry morning glory, but we ordered one more gram to vaporise at the bar.. despite some negative feedback on this place i had nothing but great times here! the female bartender remembered us each time as did the male dealer..hooked us up each time with something for free. anyways the vaporiser made us really stoned so we left for fresh air..the next stop was right down the street so we walked around a bit to come down a bit..after regaining ourselves we went to the blue velvet coffeeshop and fell in love with the white stoner cat sleeping on the counter...the dealer said he loves sleeping there, and eats space cakes he looked dead! the entry here was ice nuggets which were really pretty nugs, the friendly dealer let me pick my nugget i picked a 2.5 gram nug of heaven for 15 euro which wasn't bad for the size of this nug! this stuff was potent as well, we smoked a spliff then headed out for the siberie..this russian themed shop was real cozy and the pretty female dealers were very nice and flirty. the entry was white siberian tiger, which was the most white looking bud i've ever seen good high, the joint oooozed resin from the start.. our next stop was the grey area again..i had to refill my grey haze bag so i bought a gram..this has turned out to be the best pot so far in my mind second to the choco mist from chocolata.. another coffeeshop with a not so good reputation, but for reasons i didn't see..the dealer jon was beyond friendly and hooked us up each time we visited! not a good place as far as seating but each time we went we found a spot to sit. next stop in this crazy day was the homegrown fantasy coffeeshop, the entry was a strain i had long awaited to try YUMBOLT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm this is tasty marijuana kinda a cross between blueberry, bubblegum, and cotton candy! we also bought some good looking vannila space cakes for later. the bathroom in this place is really trippy after a yumbolt spliff, when you pee it looks like glowing milk!!! maybe only cool for guy's he he he..the next 5 shops all seemed to be in or located around the red light district, which i could care less for!! this area was the most negative part of the trip..nothing happened to us but the bad vibes were strong in the area! we headed over to de kuil and bought the entry knockout which smelled like pepporoni the place was packed so we couldn't stay which sucked cause it seemed like a nice place..we got some pizza to tide us over, then went to the betty boop coffeeshop..the entry was called total eclipse it was nice looking pot, we ran into another judge from vegas so we smoked out with him and talked for a while before heading out to anyday in the red light.this shop was small and crowded, the entry was a nice looking bud called stella blue a 100% pure organic sativa cross we left anyday and headed for the old church coffeeshop this has been the worst shop as far as helpfulness so far and the gram was super weak and short! why short someone judging your pot?? anyways we had some catching up to do so we ordered some hot chocolate and sat for a 3 joint judging session, first up was the sacred haze from old church thanks for making it 100% old church cause the pot was equal to the service..no good! next was stella blue from anyday which was a nice treat, it was sweet and very stony!! we chilled out for a while enjoying the surroundings, the coffeshop it's self at old church is nice and roomy the staff ruined it for me. we saw our first weed trip put vicitim, this kid stummbled out of old church and fell on his face he stumbbled up then fell again..sabrina wanted to run out and help him, but i told her to not please.his friends weren't helping him we weren't either. he got up shortly there after fine maybe embarassed more than hurt. we rolled up the knockout from de kuil which still smells like pepporoni to me..holy shit this is the knockout!! wow, good pot! at this point we wanted to call it quits but we only had 2 more for the night. thankfully dread rock was right across the street from old church. we sat at the bar and rolled up a crystal blondie spliff which kicked our tired asses! this was some skunky sweet pot that was covered in crystals. the last spot was the bluebird for the star warz entry. this stuff smelled identical to vick's vapo rub, very menthol smelling..the taste was similar. the high was pretty intense.. as a forgetful stoner i failed to mention at some point in the day we visited the el guapo coffeeshop they entered blue haze which was above average u.s chronic, nothing special. we took some advise from the famed blueberry of the channels website and ate at tivolis on damrak, i being a veal lover tried her suggestion or what i thought was her suggestion and had the veal in white wine sauce it came with home fries we also had some different looking garlic bread which was delicious! sabrina opted for some 4 cheese pizza ..we saved room for tiramisu for dessert which is to this day the best i've ever had!! MMMmmm! we walked up damrak eating our vanilla space cakes..we stopped at our favorite little store for some goodies then headed home......oooooooh my god what a day!!! 13 shops in one day!! we only need to visit greenhouse to complete this cannabis cup mumbo jumbo! goodnight!

day 7 wednesday november 27th 2002

so we made it to the greenhouse for the last entry , they had a pretty good deal for the judges 2 grams of super kali mist and 1 gram of the hash entry h*h*h for 15 euro. the weed was pretty airy , not much of a smell out of the souveiner dispenser until you broke it up then it was sweet. the hash was really nice, very relaxing mellow facial high.the taste was perfect, just what good dark hash should taste like.kinda woodsy with chocolate mint tastes. they had a guy passing out snacks and a guy giving out vaporioser hits.overall i liked this shop, it was large with a neat decor.
today was the last day to vote at the pax or melkweg so we headed over to the pax, we met a couple at the greenhouse that introduced us to the bus system for the cup, up to this point sabrina and i have walked almost everywhere on this trip. we cast our votes collected our shitty $225.00 cannabis cup t-shirt which they said only went to those who FINISHED ALL 27 SHOPS but instead everyone got one..had i known this i would have never entered this horrible event!!!!!!! im done bitching. we attented a grow seminar/ u.s pot law bashing session he passed out at least ten joints of buhdah's sister/ jelly hash..he wanted everyone to be on the same level. it was funny cause even though you could never see the joint until it arrived to you, you could always tell where it was by the coughing crowd..i took a few puffs of it and was convinced i needed to buy some jelly hash to send home. we hung out at the pax for a while and made some last minute purchases, a nice glass pipe from the kind sisters santuary from vancouver b.c for 15 euro, we ate a tosti and some frites then headed out for a very long walk to brandend zand.we had decided after de la soul the first night to skip the melkweg until the awards show tomorrow that place gets to crowded and there's no places to sit except that stairs.if you've been there you understand. we arrived at our neighborhood coffeeshop brandend zand for a night cap, we ordered 2 hot chocolates and sat at a bar seat to roll a big ol spliff and relax! that was going fine until the super clutz came tripping over our table knocking over my drink and knocking my daybag into the hot mess!!! i was pissed, but contained my anger and chilled out..you would think this dipshit would have got a rag or something, replace my drink??? nope he went and sat with his pals making me look like the dumbass who spilled the drink. ahhhh never fear the friendly dealer came over cleaned up the mess and replaced the drinks which we never were charged for anyway, and on top of that brought us each a bong hit of ice hash! he was amazed at sabrina's bong hit and made a comment about it.. thanks to that bong hit we never smoked the blueberry cone i was rolling..this was the highest we've been so far, wow! we proceeded to walk home and smoked the blueberry cone! long day tommorrow night, awards ceremony and thankfully the last day of the cup!!!!!!

day 8 november 28th 2002

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ahhh the last day of the cannabis cup ripoff fest! we went back to the pax for some stuff we forgot, shopped ate chilled left....headed over to the rookies for a smoke, we both decided this is one of our favorite shops! we got really, really high then made our way to the van gough museum...is this not the nicest part of amsterdam? i love the musuemplein area, the park behind the rijksmuseum is simple but so amazing..we walked in the grass for ever smoking a juicy blueberry cone then went into the nicest museum in amsterdam..this is the largest collection of van gough's in the world and rightfully so since he's dutch.. this will be a place i need to visit everytime i visit amsterdam, i fell in love with van gough all over again.. we made some purchases in the gift shop..we made our way over to the melkweg area to decide on what to eat for thanksgiving. we knew this would be difficult considering the dutch don't celebrate thanksgiving, so that meant no turkey....DAMN!!!! oh well we decided on an argentinian steak house, which turned out to be frigging amazing!! we ordered a mixed grill which had filet mignon, new york strip, flank steak, veal chops, ribs, sausage, corn on the cob, bread , salad all for 25 euro each...not bad and it was a thanksgiving feast we'll never forget..argentinians make horrible margaritas by the way!!! we needed to kill some time before the awards show so we did some more souvenir shopping at the bulldog chilled there smoked up some cannabis cup mix joint ( all 27 entries mixed into one box) we got the munchies and went to the hagen daz right next door and had the best ice cream ever...im begining to believe everything here tastes better than in the states, besides argentinian margaritas..with a couple hours to spare sabrina decided she needed some space cakes so we went to global chillage, which looks like a shithole from the outside but the inside reveals a wonderful coffeeshop..they don't allow pictures DAMMIT! which sucked cause the murals on the walls in this place seemed to be alive and would have looked good on the digital camera..they have a dj booth but no dj on this night. we smoked a joint and drank some hot chocolate the cakes were a burden to eat, they weren''t the best we had. that goes to the homegrown fantasy's vannila cakes. i got a craving for some strawberry oj from rokerij and to buy some more nugs we were running low. we ordered some stardust which was sweet and stony! again this place is amazing and ranked as my favorite. we now headed off to the cannabis cup awards show, make a long story short this was the biggest waste of time, i could have waited to get home to find out and not been dissapointed..the show drug ass, none of the winners were backstage so when they were announced they had to walk through 3000 people to get to the stage, the presenters had no clue how to pass the time so they would get angry with the shops represenatives...then when it came time to award the cannabis cup trophys they announced the third and first place winners but failed to award second place..then someone told the announcer and he appoligized..barney's took first place again for morning glory, which i can't understand? here's the standings
1. Morming Glory/Barney's
2. NYC Diesel/De Tweede Kamer
3. Super Kali Mist/Green House
not one of those deserved to be in the top ten as far as my vote went, or sabrina's either. we packed a bowl of the winning strain in a sort of jesture i guess topped with some dutch delight hash from kashmir lounge then headed home..wow what a day. oh if you were curious my vote went to grey area's grey haze. my vote for best shop was rokerij, barney's won that too! how?

confuzn
power poster
power poster

Postby confuzn » Wed Jan 29, 8:31 am

I really enjoyed your trip report! Great post. My first trip to Amsterdam was with HT (I did a little work for them). I agree about the shamibus cup and its problems (unorganized, fake judging, over priced, and the CC itself). After I paid for the pass I was dissapointed at what I got for the $$. What other experiences with the CC did you not like?

confuzn

excitableone
power poster
power poster

grrrrrrr

Postby excitableone » Wed Jan 29, 9:00 am

the whole idea of rushing through such a peaceful city kinda bothered me, but the lack of preperation was the nail in the coffin..they had nothing prepared for the judges, it seemed as if they had one day to prepare. also giving the t shirt to everyone instead of those that finished all 27 shops angered me..but i got over all that crap and enjoyed my first time. i cannot wait until the next time. thanks for reading my report by the way..peace~~

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Wed Feb 05, 2:54 pm

WOW, what a great trip report. I really enjoyed the stream of consciousness approach along with all of the little details.

As for the Cannabis Cup, I have to agree with you guys on the norganized aspect of it. But what do you expect from a magazine for and run by stoners. That wouldn't be so bad in itself, but the exorbitant prices that they charge and the lack of real deliverables in return leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. And this is coming from a guy who got a free pass last year...

Thanks again for a fantastic recount of your trip.

excitableone
power poster
power poster

Postby excitableone » Wed Feb 05, 9:07 pm

thanks for enjoying my report, damn you got a free pass and still had drama. just shows what a crock the cup is..it wouldn't be so bad if they got a bit more organized and maybe gave you something for the 225 u.s dollars that you pay..peace~

Progress

Postby Progress » Wed Feb 05, 10:53 pm

I'm still not clear on something regarding the cup. With your judges pass do you get lower prices or something? or are you able to buy the cup entry since you have a pass, and only those w/ passes can buy the entry?
I'm not sure where the privilage of having a pass comes in...

excitableone
power poster
power poster

Postby excitableone » Thu Feb 06, 9:02 am

some of the shops offered discounts for the judges, but most did nothing special..ironically the shops that won all gave better prizes than the rest..greenhouse won with the super kali mist which i thought was very airy bud with no density at all, the taste was nice though.. and barney's gave all the judges free shirts.. the only privledge the pass gave us was free shows at the melkweg and entry to the pax party house, other than that it was good for nothing.. having to purchase weed from all 27 shops was fun, but had i known what i know now back then i would have never bought a pass..peace~

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Thu Feb 06, 3:03 pm

[/start rant

Hmm, does anyone else think that it is a strange coincidence that the shops that one were the shops that gave away the best incentives to the judges?

I really have big misgivings about any "competitions" that don't even guarantee that all entries will be evaluated. Doesn't it stand to reason that if you are a judge that you should evaluate the exact same items as the other judges? Perhaps the results would be a bit moe scientific if they issued each judge a welcome pack containing a sample of each entry that they had to evaluate?

Sure there are problems with this approach, but I think that it would give judges a better value for the money they pay for the pass, as well as prevent only the larget well known (and easy to find) shops from monopolizing the awards with inferior entries...

/end rant]

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Cup Marketing Event

Postby Dogbreath » Fri Feb 07, 3:48 pm

Nice report.

I share your views of the cup.... it's not the cup... it's Amsterdam!

As hopelessly disorganized as ever.

:-) Dogbreath

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”