Heat Wave

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

nogbin
power poster
power poster

Heat Wave

Postby nogbin » Tue Apr 15, 10:35 pm

It is almost midnight and you would be comfortable in a T shirt and shorts. Everyone is sitting outside, soaking up the sunshine. Lots of Dutch people drinking beer outside in the cafes. Incidentally, have seen no sign of smoking outside prohibition. Lots of coffeeshops have tables outside. I carried my jacket all day. Couldn't put it on.

We went to Kukenhof yesterday. Whatevr you do, don't go via Key Travels, which operates a cheesy tour to the gardens which we had the misfortune of using. We only had 1.5 hours in the grden after all the bullshit they pulled. The tourguide was so bad, we actually started enjoying it. My wife and 12 year old son-- we were doing imitations of her on the way back.

A bit early for the tulips, but if you like hyacinths, it is heaven. Especially after a little attitude adjustment courtesy of the Noon. With the weather we are having, the tulips should be peaking in the next few weeks.

Visited a new coffeeshop today-- Sevilla, which is across the street from Stix. Nice place, where I tried the Silver Haze. A pretty pure sativa with a mild but good buzz.
I'm afraid I had to supplement it with the morrocan hash from Dampkring, which is exceptionally fruity tasting.

Police presence is back down to what I consider normal levels. In my last few trips I sensed a much more visible presence. I haven't seen any sign of that on this trip.

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Re: Heat Wave

Postby a bollocks » Wed Apr 16, 1:18 am

nogbin wrote:We went to Kukenhof yesterday. Whatever you do, don't go via Key Travels, which operates a cheesy tour to the gardens which we had the misfortune of using. We only had 1.5 hours in the grden after all the bullshit they pulled. The tourguide was so bad, we actually started enjoying it. My wife and 12 year old son-- we were doing imitations of her on the way back.

Thanks for posting during your trip! When I travel I never use tours. I like mingling with the locals and visiting sites and such on my own. Altho it sounds like you got some comedy out of the whole thing. Keep havin fun!

WOOP!

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Wed Apr 16, 2:51 am

Your trip sound really cool, except for the bad tour. Damn it makes me want to jump on a plane. Keep up the good posts.....

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Wed Apr 16, 7:34 am

Great report, Nogbin.

Keukenhof sounds great but that tour sounded bad. Can't you just buy a R/T train ticket and pay admission at the gate if you wanted to do it t hat way?

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Apr 16, 4:39 pm

If I remember correctly it is a train ride to Leiden, then a bus ride to Lisse. That bus (you'll have to find the right one) drops you off at the rear entry to Het Keukenhof. They used to sell a package deal at the CS but I have been told they stopped that. Check at the VVV (right outside CS) the should be able to advise you. Leiden looked like a cool little town. My advice: do Keukenhof as early in the day as possible, check their site I think they open at 9am. By around 13:00 the army of "blue hairs" and clumps of Japanese tourists tend to crowd the place. I think that you can take a train or bus from Leiden to Harlem which would be a great way to finish off the day.
Tot straks.

DrTak
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DrTak » Wed Apr 16, 8:10 pm

Just did it last week -- I got burned by the tour a few years back. Irrelevant comments by guide, tourist trap bulb store and only 1 hour in Keukenhof!

Here's the scoop: Get a round trip train ticket to Leiden from Amsterdam CS. Plan on a 25 minute or so train ride -- get off at Leiden CS.

Near the bus depot area is a booth where you can buy a combo bus and admission ticket -- Connexxion bus #54 is non stop to the Keukenhof gate.

Remember which gate you came in.

Enjoy!

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Apr 16, 8:22 pm

Thanks DrTak, that "combo" bus entry ticket is "just the ticket" as, like I said, it allows you to use the uncrowded rear entrance. Man I wish I could go! The 250 bulbs that I have bought at the Bloomenmarkt over the years have just about finished their annual display here where I live, ahhhh.

DrTak
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DrTak » Thu Apr 17, 12:51 am

I have a lone "Bridesmaid" daffodil left.

It is time for my Amaryllis, Roses, Jupiter's Beard and Diascia.

Few Day lilies; few coreopsis.

Tulips won't grow by me (too warm) but daffodils and hyacinth remind me . . .

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Thu Apr 17, 1:26 am

AAh, you only think that you can't grow tulips in So. Cal. Here's the trick: Tulips need a minimum of about 1000 hours of sub 50º temp. I don't regularly get that in N.Cal either. What I do is take my bulbs, in a paper bag (to avoid moisture/rot problems) and place them in the vegetable crisper of my refegerator in October or November. After a month or so I plant them and the little buggers might as well think that they are in Holland! I have been doing this for years. When my tullipen are all done (browned off) I dig them up, store them in a pail of peat moss until next fall (in a dark, dry place). Then I plant tuberous begonias in that plot. I get praise every year.
Pax

DrTak
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DrTak » Thu Apr 17, 3:07 pm

Yes, I used to dig and chill, though I suspect you have it down to a much more exact science.

Your system almost gets me to want to try it again. In the past, I'd invariably not find bulbs, or slice them digging them up. I really disliked the chore. I've seen wire baskets, and thought about burying a whole basket, to ensure getting all my bulbs back . . .

OTOH, some of my daffodils have been undisturbed for years and have naturalized into dense clumps of blooms. I rather like letting Mother Nature do a little work.

Ooogaleee
just in
just in

bad tour...

Postby Ooogaleee » Fri Apr 18, 3:27 am

i guess everyone has thier own "bad tour" story, eh?...

mine was on on one of those buses (i have no idea what company) that leave from the Damrak and goes to Antwerp and Brussels, and returns back the the 'dam around 9'ish...

our bus broke down somewhere in Nowhere, Belgium at a Texaco station...we sat there for 2 1/2 hours and waited for a new bus to take us the rest of our journey...they still jammed in all the same sights, but had to rush right through everything the rest of the day...i think we had all of 45 minutes to explore the big square in Brussels...barely enough time to find that pissing boy statue...

peace...Ooogs

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Fri Apr 18, 4:03 am

Jeez, I've never taken one of those, and I'll be sure not to now. I'd rather rent a car and do it myself, although it is a bit of an experience driving around Amsterdam.

docski
super power poster
super power poster

Postby docski » Fri Apr 18, 4:03 pm

test

docski
super power poster
super power poster

Postby docski » Fri Apr 18, 4:07 pm

Thanks guys...taking one of those tours was #1 on my list of (new) things to do one our trip next week...will be doing the train instead...although being one of those blue hairs I wonder if they will let us in early?

Although if you read in the paper about some old guy jumping off a building yelling ...invalid session...invalid session... in the next few days then I may not have actually made the trip...god do I hate that.

Doc

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Apr 18, 4:45 pm

DrTak wrote:Yes, I used to dig and chill, though I suspect you have it down to a much more exact science.

Your system almost gets me to want to try it again. In the past, I'd invariably not find bulbs, or slice them digging them up. I really disliked the chore. I've seen wire baskets, and thought about burying a whole basket, to ensure getting all my bulbs back . . .

I dig my plot down about 8" then lay down a layer of "chicken-wire". I plant the bulbs almost touching, over 250 in a 10' by 2' bed. Mix a lot of organics with the dirt and you can easily retrieve your bulbs without harm. Ok, Ok this is getting a bit "Martha Stewart" here, LOL.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”