ODD & EVEN PERSPECTIVES-2004 Trip Day#13

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

ODD & EVEN PERSPECTIVES-2004 Trip Day#13

Postby LastHamlet » Wed Feb 16, 1:13 am

Day #13 You Won’t Believe This Either... WOW!!!
July 6, 2004

Hard to believe we were up early, by our standards early anyhow. We were downstairs at 8:30 and Mark was rather chipper himself. After a nice breakfast, some back and forth chatting with Mark and several other guests that were in the breakfast room at the time, we headed back up the flights to our room to freshen up for the day. I always enjoy coming down for breakfast, and it adds a traditional Amsterdam start to the day, I think so anyhow. Not forgetting that Maid Marian loved the jelly, peanut butter, and chocolate in the little containers. The individual little metal round tins, I call them. They come in many different flavors, so I cannot remember which she liked the best???

With some tidy-up of the room, and the traditional 5 Euros on the bed for housekeeping, we embarked on our daily bit through the city. We even managed to catch a tram at Prinsengracht, right as we walked up. Life is good when you can just flash your DagKaart/Trampass and head to a seat. I know other ways are possible, it is just that when I am on vacation, trying to learn more and more Dutch words is enough. Let alone being in this zone or that zone for more than an hour... Too much to figure out and too tight a schedule, unless I plan on staying??? So, off on the tram to Central Station. Then to catch a number #1 tram to Leidseplein to start the days adventures.

Even though the weather is beautiful, it would be a good day to see a museum. Making our way over to the Rijks was fairly easy in sight that is, with their ‘Adams Family’ roof, I jokingly call it. However, they were working on the street, and it was quite the maze of fences set up. The entrance to the Rijks Museum is now on the side, instead of the double front entrances that I was normally accustomed to. Apparently due to the remodeling, this was the available entrance/exit for viewing of what I would guess to be a little more than 1/2 of the normal collection. Still they had right many displays and the usual artworks I have come to love through the years. The Nightwatch for one, and many others were still on display.
It is still a wonderful museum and we spent a couple of hours walking around and looking at all the treasures to see. I know through the years I have seen these same paintings and other collections, but seem to find something new in them, every time I come. Whether it is an expression on the face of a painting you have seen many times before, or something blended into the background. Deft pieces with maybe a unique little mark you never noticed before. Maybe each time you visit Rijks, it is like coming to Amsterdam itself,,, You see it in layers.
We wandered around in the usual “Look At This” “Wow! Look At That” kind of viewing of the wondrous items of the Rijks Museum. Even when we went outside we could not resist sitting on one of the outside benches to gather our thoughts. There was this hot dog vendor right outside the gate, that had a sign on in saying “All American Hot Dogs”. Hummm, how could we resist??? We did get us one each and a drink to enjoy while sitting on the bench in the nice warm sunshine. All the while during the eating of our hotdogs, a group of young students were having a bit of a jolly time right at the exit walkway. The way you enter/exit now, your pathway passes right through a stone and iron archway. The group of young ones were doing pull-ups on the iron cross bars, and generally getting in the way of everybody passing in or out. It became rather annoying to some of the older patrons, and even though you could see that it was a bit of a nuisance, the passer by people would just wait for a free moment to walk by. Evidently they have a different way of dealing with tomfoolery here. Give it not much mind, and maybe it will go away??? One could learn a lot just checking out the actions of others.

After a bit, we were all toasty sitting in the sun, and just suddenly decided to make a short walk to the Noon Coffeeshop. Actually Maid Marian had made the call. She remembered how close we were, and wanted a taste of the Blueberry ghanja. She remembered liking it the other day when we had a meeting with Puffin13 and StemsnSeeds.(Dam, I miss those fellows :)
As we were sitting there in the very back booth, I noticed a skylight in the ceiling. I had never noticed that before, as I guess the catchy mural on the walls draws most of your attention. Nonetheless. It is a small skylight and a few tree branches was all I could see. (Very little light comes in through it, so that may be why I never noticed it.) I guess all places here are kinda like the Rijks Museum, in the fact that it takes several visits to put the whole picture in your mind. In as much as Amsterdam is compact, it is intricate as well. We ever put the pieces together in our minds, as each visit adds another slice of the “Big Picture” that we hope will keep our recollections fresh, while we await our next journey here. Ahhh, the complexity that makes this wonderful place what it is... The spiraling spider web we call by many names.
After our smoke we made our way to the Leidseplein area and there is always some kind of action going on here. Oddly enough the Bulldog on Leidseplein has one of the best views of the courtyard where many performers have lit the eyes of the passing crowds. Even though I have never been in that Bulldog Coffeeshop, much is to be said of the advantageous viewpoint. From the pedestrian viewpoint, they seem to have a grand time sitting in the terrace/glass area of the coffeeshop, and some day I must have a seat in there and view the opposite of this view.

We made our way slowly up the street, and happened to notice the Dolphins Coffeeshop. This is another I have never been to either, except this time, knowing of their troubles, we decide to get a beverage at their fine establishment. There was a scaffold all the way up the building, with just enough room to enter the place.
The Barkeep is a rather cheerful fellow, in spite of the situation of not having their weed license. Maid Marian and I both express deep sympathy for the bad turn of events to the kind fellow. He asked where we learned of their situation, and I promptly told him from the Channels Forum. He told us a lot of people had come by to express their feelings on the issue. After a bit of conversation we grabbed the table at the window.
Seeing how this was the first visit to Dolphins for either one of us, we looked around the place at the neat looking coral walls and the fish lights of course. It was a shame to see the place operating without their license to sell weed. It sort of takes the steam out of your business, seeing how the establishment is a coffeeshop. The place seemed lacking that ‘Boom’ of what once was. To hear of such a wonderful place then to arrive after the bitter edge of change, is so disheartening. You can’t help but to be sad for the people who run the establishment, for it is a sad thing indeed. I know there are rules for any kind of business, and maybe sometimes they all find themselves a little over the line. Sometimes lines are upheld at the funniest of times, and as ‘Dylan’ would say,,, “The times they are a changin’. “ So, for goodness sakes, let’s hope the Dolphins start swimming again soon.
As we enjoyed our drinks by the window, and rolling up some Juicy Lucy from the Overkant Hortus. BTW, this ghanja is off the charts, and has now taken the top spot as far as sheer strength (IMHO). The good smoke made for a perfect combination for the street view seats we have. If you gonna blow smoke, it might as well be really good smoke, so to speak. We can only sit and imagine what the place must be like in full boom, and certainly wish them the very best in getting their license back. I know my home-base coffeeshop of Old Style will not be getting theirs back, and that seems really sad to me. It takes the starch out of the joint, and the joint out of the starch, with a lack of a better way of saying it.
Even with the lack of license, the place still had at least 10 or 12 patrons while we were smoking our doobie by the window. It seemed they would disappear downstairs and have a soda and leave through the lower exit. We had a rather nice time. The Dolphins has a rather unique charm, with its coral walls with embedded sea objects, big green Dolphin with ghanja leaves painted on it, and the fish lights. Many Best Wishes Dolphins Coffeeshop!!!

With a glazing buzz and MM at my side we head out up the street just a bit. Onward we walked till we got right at the Spui area, where there was a coin shop I wanted to visit. I had been collecting all the Euro Coins on my last several trips to the Dam. I only lacked a 1 cent and 50 cent Ireland Euro Coins to complete my collection. Upon arrival at a favored coin shop on Rosemarijsteeg, it was closed. I had noticed that several times we had been walking in the area, that the shop was closed each time,,, Hummm??? So, no to fear there is another coin shop virtually next door, Which both happen to be across the street from Kadinsky’s Coffeeshop.(One of them, that is.)
Nonetheless, a coffeeshop visit wasn’t the purpose of the shopping, so in the coin shop we went. Even after leaving, I was the 1cent piece shy of the entire collection. I know you can buy the whole set, but I have collected all but one coin now, in just the last four trips. (Before that it was the Guilder,,,, and again,,, those were the days...) With the one coin (50-cent Euro) purchased from his circulated coins we were off to take the tram to the Nieuwendijk Kolk stop. We had a sudden urge for a slice of the M-Slice Pizza.
When you get a slice or two, and DeKuil is not too crowded, it is grand to take your eats there to enjoy the nice atmosphere. Now, with that new wide screen, they really are the bomb. (I think before I had wrote it looked like a 45”, but it has to be 50” or more, the more I look at it... All the better.) It happened to be a rather mellow crowd, and with a cola and a beer we both were happy campers. The music here is always classic, and takes you back in time. The TV was tuned on previous game highlights, and the stereo was providing the sound. Covering all bases of entertainment for the entire coffeeshop full of happy campers. I would say that 99 times out of a hundred, De Kuil provides a most laid back atmosphere. I say 99, because if a game is going on, people are a bit more spirited. To tell you the truth, even the spirited times are rather wonderful indeed.
I couldn’t resist a couple of grams of Shiva before we left, as it will make the perfect joint for a web smoke. You guessed it, off to Siberie Coffeeshop for one of our camera view smoke-outs. It is an easy 5-minute walk, and all to familiar to both of us by now. If it weren’t for that crucial crosswalk at the corner of Nieuwendijk and Maartelarsgracht, (where the earlier bicycle event happened), I believe MM could take us there blindfolded. Well, maybe not blindfolded, we are very used to seeing our way there :)
As we walked in, I couldn’t help but notice that all the 3-D Artwork had already been taken down. Now, there were Dutch paintings in their place. Siberie has been known to change their walls often, so this was not a shock to me at all. Keeps the patrons wondering if they came in the right place, or not??? With no one at the bar, it was easy to get a couple off their large hot chocolates, and while I was at it, a gram of the Northern Lights for later in the evening. That way I don’t feel too guilty rolling up that 2 gram hooter of Shiva at the table.
Quite naturally the chess matches were going on, and an intense series indeed. I seen the fellow I refer to as Niles, defeated once. By the time we were nearing the end of our big joint, Niles was already back up and seemingly doing well in the match. With a fleeting mistake he won the game. It seemed to amaze even himself, as he looked like even he couldn’t believe he won. Really the look on his face was priceless. He even celebrated by rolling up a joint for the smoking. Of course, I have seen him roll one before, and it is 95% tobacco, and seems to do the trick for him. Through the years of travel he has seen me roll up some joints too, only he is most positive that I am crazy. I personally am kind of glad that I like my ghanja straight, with nothing else but paper or pipe to smoke it with. However, to each their own, as his way of wrapping up a doobie does the trick for him,,,,, a grand time no matter how you roll ‘em up...:) Now, if I could only figure a way for this smoke to make it through the camera to everybody. (I do wish such hardware/software were available.)

Making the nice walk back to the Damrak area to catch our nightly Tram #4 to Prinsengracht, we always savor the sights and memories of the day. If it is nothing but me singing a piece of a Mark Knopfler song... “Don’t you love the sound, of the last laugh coming down.”, which is driving MM a bit nutzy by now. NO KIDDING. I have a bad habit of running a phrase into the ground, and on purpose at that. Whether it be a line form a song, or a funny word I have heard,,,, I go too far. All for the sake of what I call comedy, but others are rarely amused. I am not kidding, it takes a special person to stay around me very long. With all my quirks, and not to mention intense love for the ghanja, I am quite the mental handful. Truth be known, I am downright more complex than I ever care to be, and believe me it shows... All who have stayed around me, for a full day and night, will fully attest to this as being absolute fact. For you see, I am rather annoying at times, and those times seem to be, at times, a daily thing. So, it is no wonder that what happen next was nearly a complete surprise to me.

For several reasons I cannot tell you where this came down, so to speak, but to say, it really came down. It was 2 nights ago when I had one of the most wonderful intimate experiences with MM, that I have ever had with anybody. Still this was going to prove to be right up there with that one, for sure. We had a strange look on our faces. One would wonder just form looking at us, if we wanted to smack each other, or rape each other. There is this quaint little alleyway, with a semi recessed corridor, and risk was in the air.
What for the reasons, we do not know, but in seconds we were barely dressed, and with a most convenient padded stool, we started something. I had the pleasure of the seat, for the moment. With the excitement of maybe being caught(and believe me it does cause an adrenaline rush of the thought of being caught.) Sweet MM in my arms atop my lap, lost it twice before she knew what hit her. We were entangled in a fun loving time and it just seemed so perfect. Even with the thought of being caught, we did so wonderfully well. Luck was with us on this eve, and maybe the time was just right for nobody to be walking by...:)
Not like it was a quickie or nothing either, we had quite a wonderful exciting time, as we both ‘lost it’ several times. Positions varied in this duet, and such was so exciting of a time. Though neither of us had planned it, maybe just a few spontaneous thoughts, and an instant excitement. Maybe, it is like I was saying all along, AMS is a defining city, and will define what a couple may truly feel about each other... just one of my silly theories. ???
Without even a skipped beat, and even that would not have mattered, we seemed all aglow in the chance little nook, and what passion did flow. So much so, that the rest of the evening was so blurred, and paled in comparison, I will leave this day’s report at this point, for the savoring of the thought. More in hopes that you and your partner will find the spark, and show the passion for each the other........... :)

Till The Next Heartbeat,
LastHamlet

lctricity
super power poster
super power poster

Postby lctricity » Wed Feb 16, 3:26 am

Great posting there mi amigo!

Thanks so much for taking the time. Trip reports are such a wonderful thing for archiving instances that might otherwise be forgotten, not to mention being a way to vicariouly live through someone else's experiences being in Amsterdam!

I so relate to the Day Pass thing for the trams and buses. Takes every last bit of hassle out of the whole deal. Not to mention the fact that you can travel around the entire city and check out all sorts of things outside of Centrum and the normal "tourist" areas.

And yes, The Noon! Mmmmmmm... BlueBerry!! That "spot" in the back is "the" spot too I might add. Is the big candle still there?

I could go on agreeing with many of the points in your report but enough said. Look forward to the next, as well as catching up on the others.

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Wed Feb 16, 11:55 am

Yes another great trip report from the master!!!

...Boner...

bigbird
super poster
super poster

Postby bigbird » Wed Feb 16, 3:03 pm

Wow great report.I especially liked the part about the youth's hijinks at the museum.Thank you for an intimate report.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Feb 16, 11:27 pm

WOW! Very sexy.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Thu Feb 17, 4:46 am

Ahhhhh... "Return of the King!" Welcome back, Sir Hamlet... and thanks for the kind words... but you are still the KING!!!

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby dannymac » Thu Feb 17, 9:39 am

As always LH - superlative!

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Way too Kind.

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Feb 17, 2:47 pm

You people are way too kind. Thank You Very Much!!!
You know this was a bit out of the normal writing for me, cause Banks rules with the "Sherri Chronicles"!!! , but as I was just telling an ol buddy of mine, sometimes there is steam in AMS, so you have to include it at times. My timing is not always good, especially when writing like the last two, but I can only hope it will be thought of as more flow, than just mere sex alone. Oh well, with me who ever knows?
King? Na, just a lowly squire, who started out reading reports from the 'true legends' of the Channels(IMHO), and stand on their shoulders.
Many Best Regards,
LH

GT
power poster
power poster

Postby GT » Thu Feb 17, 10:48 pm

at last, a great reason to log in. with a tip o'the hat to bob hope, thanks, lh, for the memories. it's as close to a trip i'll get this year as i have decided to spend the money on a lawyer.

bravo, encore, encore!

Pirate

Postby Pirate » Fri Feb 18, 5:06 am

So LastHamlet... I see you've bobbed back to the surface... screw the girlfriend... she ain't a comin' this time, and we got a score to settle... I'll be seein' ya when you least expect it...

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

I guess you be right, Pirate.

Postby LastHamlet » Fri Feb 18, 2:55 pm

Yes, Pirate, I guess it is time for you to chop off my head. :(
I always knew the day would come, when you would want your sword back. Scuffling from the backdrop to render me headless, and having that which was once yours. What would vex me so, is that you appear to have insight to my travel plans, or do you?
Always remember "When you least expect it", can surprise us all.
You are the greatest Pirate, long live your spirit.
And, no hard feelings, I am tired of my old head anyhow...LOL...
Many Best Regards,
LH

Wow!!! GT, good to see you.... A bit concerned at the moment, I am ???
Many Best Regards GT,
LH

Pirate

Re: I guess you be right, Pirate.

Postby Pirate » Fri Feb 18, 4:43 pm

LastHamlet wrote:What would vex me so, is that you appear to have insight to my travel plans, or do you?

I can read, matey,not as well as some, but goed enough. I saw yer name on the Vermeer sheets. he needs to put me on there too

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Ahh, what the missing names hold??

Postby LastHamlet » Fri Feb 18, 7:22 pm

I like the way you put that Pirate, "The Vermeer Sheets". It adds a Dutch Master's kind of Quality, to an already, Quality list.
It is style like that Pirate, that makes you the quality kind of person you are. I will indeed be honored to walk the plank, should the need arise.

However, you need to post on the thread with your dates and I believe Vermeer will add your name to the scrolls.

The hint of mystery is that if your name is currently not on the 'Sheets', then pray tell how many others are not yet committed as well???
Does make for an interesting thought???
Best of Regards Pirate, and may you live well.
LH

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Mar 09, 4:01 pm

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”