Mixed Emotions - Part 5

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Delta9
super poster
super poster

Mixed Emotions - Part 5

Postby Delta9 » Mon Sep 06, 3:25 am

Wednesday, February 25, 2004
The Changing of the Guard

Slept until about 9am, and my friend seemed to be feeling a little better, but still not well enough to venture out. Made my way downstairs for some breakfast, brought back bread, cheese, fruit, cereal, juice. He was fine drinking juice, but as soon as he ate anything solid he’d get so dizzy he had to lay down.

To cap it all off, I was not feeling well either. Queasy and tired, I can only imagine because of the stress of the last 36 hours, I went back to bed and slept until almost 4pm. He’d been up for a couple of hours already, showered and shaved, looking better than he had in a long time…but not 100%. Got up and showered in preparation for the trip to Schipol for my friend’s return to his brother in Switzerland. We settled the bill for the extra occupant, and headed to Centraal Station for a Snickers and a water for the short hop to Schipol.

We reached the top of the escalator to the train platform just to see the train to Schipol leaving. No sweat, get on the next one and sat. And sat. And SAT. The Dutch ladies sitting opposite were nice enough to translate the announcement, there was a problem with the doors and they got up to get off. We decided that if the train didn’t leave by 5:45 that we’d take a taxi. Two minutes later another announcement, everyone needed to move to a replacement train which had just pulled up across the platform. 6:05 arrived at Schipol with just enough time to get a bite before check-in.

Nothing was appetizing to my friend, so he bought a muffin and just ate little bits of it as we walked. We got him checked in and I walked with him as far as I could before passport control, and said goodbye after making him promise that he’d tell the flight crew that he wasn’t feeling well.

Whew! Handoff complete!

Back to town and got some chinese food at New Season on Warmoestraat, really great stuff. Some wandering around and found myself over at De Kuil for a long-delayed smoke-out and a white coffee. Smoked up the rest of the infamous purple from Siberie…waiting…no freak out here! :) Less than an hour later and a spliff of the Morning Glory from Barney’s. More wandering, dodging sex show barkers and soaking up the atmosphere. Even though I didn’t think I’d be out late that night, somehow the time just flew by and the wee hours crept up. Back to the room for some more rest in preparation for Thursday and making up for lost time.

Friend update: So it turns out that the nurse at the hospital was right, almost exactly 48 hours after it started, my friend began feeling like a normal human again. When he got back to the states, he had one more pot-induced 48 hour freak-out episode before finally going to his doctor to find out the problem. Undiagnosed high blood pressure, with some anxiety issues mixed in were just the ticket to a freak out. The pot raised his blood pressure to the point where it tipped him into an anxiety attack, fears that he’d stop breathing, etc. Apparently all very consistent symptoms for hash overdose.

While I’m glad he’s doing better, and getting his health together, I’m still sad since he was my last smoking buddy. The last person I could go to a concert with and still smoke up with before, during and after. I had come to Amsterdam to do some soul-searching and decide on life changes, and got mine in spades. Careful what you ask for, kids…

Blackout
power poster
power poster

Postby Blackout » Mon Sep 06, 4:14 am

I'm glad your buddy felt better and you still had some fun left in your trip. ;D

sdshadow
super power poster
super power poster

Postby sdshadow » Mon Sep 06, 5:41 pm

I wish you the best of luck in your continuing soul searching.

Thank you for sharing the trip reports, you sound like a very caring person and under the difficult circumstances, you really came through for your friend. It is so easy to be selfish and takes strength to put aside your own fun to help someone in need.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Mon Sep 06, 7:09 pm

Nice reports... though much different than usual.

Your choice to help your buddy cost you your vacation. Not to worry though, you'll get it back from someone, somewhere, sometime in the future.

Some folks call it karma. Others call it the bell curve of distribution.

Dogbreath :-)

Delta9
super poster
super poster

Postby Delta9 » Tue Sep 07, 5:15 pm

Not to worry, all was not lost...only 48 hours. The rest of my trip I was walking around in that otherworldly Mokum daze, not necessarily stoned, but beautiful...if you grok. Good times FAR outweighed the bad times, yet there were plenty of "bad" times to go around...hence the title...

Yeah, Dogbreath, I knew they'd be different and was a little apprehensive showing a less than sunshine-and-roses version of a trip, but it is what it is. I'm a big believer in karma, and I can only have faith that the universe has some sort of "balancing" left to do...or maybe shit just happens. :)

Thanks for the kind words, all!

Chiqui
power poster
power poster

Postby Chiqui » Wed Sep 08, 8:01 am

Thanks for the trip report Delta9. All I can say is....you're a great human being, the best friend any person would be lucky to have.

Puffbob
regular
regular

Postby Puffbob » Thu Sep 09, 4:34 pm

Chiqui wrote:Thanks for the trip report Delta9. All I can say is....you're a great human being, the best friend any person would be lucky to have.

I second that Delta9. There's a motto us old jarheads live by and it fits in your case...........Semper Fi!
Peace.
PB

docski
super power poster
super power poster

Postby docski » Fri Sep 10, 8:44 pm

Puffbob. And sometime you say..."Eat the Apple and (fill in the blank)..."

S/F
Doc

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Wed Sep 15, 4:16 pm

What a thing to have happen Delta. I am glad your buddy is better now and maybe a return may better be served alone. Ah, just a thought...
A tragic yet well written report.
Many Best Regards,
LH

Delta9
super poster
super poster

Postby Delta9 » Wed Sep 15, 6:45 pm

Thanks for the kind words LH. I don't look at it as a tragedy, more like a cautionary tale. And in reference to your post in part 4, it was very much like acquiring a dependant, especially having to hold onto him by the coat to keep him out of traffic. But he's a good friend and my last smoking buddy, so sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I would have expected nothing less if the tables had been turned.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Yes, the things we do.

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Sep 16, 1:16 pm

Excellent Point Delta9, as I would have done the same thing by helping him along. Of course, I would have been rather ticked off, but that may also be expected to some degree. You are a top notch fellow Delta9.
Many Best Regards,
LastHamlet

Delta9
super poster
super poster

Postby Delta9 » Thu Sep 16, 3:11 pm

I'm blushing! ;)

Mama must've just brought me up right, I guess. LOL

See ya in April, I hope.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”