Mixed Emotions - Part 4

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Delta9
super poster
super poster

Mixed Emotions - Part 4

Postby Delta9 » Sat Sep 04, 7:00 am

Tuesday, February 24, 2004
Hellooooo Nurse!

12:05 am
My friend was still in pretty rough shape, sweaty, dizzy, afraid to fall asleep because he was convinced he’d stop breathing, heartrate over 120…not at all well. So I went down to the lobby bar to get him a juice. Told the night desk guy Jeff what was going on and he asked if he’d like me to come up to the room to see if he couldn’t help. I accepted the offer, as I had certainly run out of options, keeping his water glass full and such. Jeff brought a coke with him and talked to my friend, the conversation resulting in the decision to take him to the hospital.

Now let me say, I felt really REALLY bad, and if not completely responsible, at least mostly responsible for this. Then I started to remember my admonitions to my friend from the beginning "Take it easy. Don’t hold your hits…it’s stronger stuff than you’re used to." I felt somewhat less guilty, but not much.

Apparently ambulances will not pick up "hash intoxication" cases, or at least they put them at a very low priority, hence, a long wait. We opted for a taxi, and arrived at First Aid (the emergency room for us americans) around 2:30am. We were greeted by a VERY drunk creepy guy who only spoke Dutch. I think it was Dutch. Coulda been French…he was slurring a lot, hard to tell. Anyway, creepy as he may have been, he was more concerned with signing in all of the invisible people in the room, filling in the admission forms with MUCHO GUSTO! A nurse came out fairly quickly, and I explained the situation. I needed my friend’s permission to come along with him, which luckily he was coherent enough to give. Everyone was very nice, very understanding, but a bit stern about the whole matter. Well, maybe stern isn’t the right word…blunt (no pun intended). After giving his personal information, they hooked him up to some monitors, took vitals, talked to him a bit, then left him to go talk about us in Dutch, no doubt. :)

The nurse originally said yes, hash and marijuana can sometimes have this affect on people, and that he should feel better in 48 hours. Come again? He’s only in Amsterdam for 48 hours. Guess who just wasted a bunch of money and two vacation days to lay in bed?

From my complete lack of medical training, the only diagnosis I could make was anxiety. His first trip overseas, he was in his second EU country in less than a week, his grandfather wasn’t doing well health-wise lately, and heart problems run in his family (feeding the paranoia). I mentioned this anxiety aspect to one of the nurses as she showed me where to get some food. It had been eight hours since those mayo-drenched frites the previous evening, and I was about to be introduced to Dutch vending machines. A few euros later, I had a stomach full of Coke and some sort of cracker-with-ham-flavored-cheese (pretty good, actually) and a Snicker’s bar for later.

Back to the hospital room for more staring at beeping machines, which brought back some really bad memories of my daughter’s first three weeks of life. Boy, this is shaping up to be a hum-dinger of a vacation!

After several hours of trying to sleep sitting up while my friend lay in a semi-sedated state (they gave him a mild anti-anxiety pill) they released him, and we were back to the hotel. Climbed back in bed after setting the alarm for 3pm, had to call the Hemp Hotel to cancel my reservation. I'd planned to change venues for my last two nights, but with this interesting little diversion, I’m going to have to rearrange my sight-seeing a bit. Plus I just can’t give up a room with an en-suite bathroom. I’m such a snob.

Woke at three and took care of the reservation, showered and realized that my friend wasn’t going ANYWHERE today, as he was still buggered. Shit. Oh, well, man’s gotta eat. I took a stroll over to the pizza place by DeKuil and grabbed a slice, and down to the Albert Heijn for some snacks and drinks for the room. A short run from Dam square, up through the RLD for a look at the ladies, then back to the hotel.

Resigned to the fact I’d be the "good friend" and stay to lend moral support, I toughed it out until about 11pm. By then I was going NUTS! I had to get out of that goddamned room, so grab the shoes, put on the coat, and I told my friend "I’m going stir crazy…I gotta go for a walk", and out I went.

Out amongst upright, walking humans, I started to feel better. My patience however, was long gone. I know my good friend REALLY felt awful, both from the hash intoxication and the fact that he was wasting his vacation in Amsterdam laying in bed (and not, I can assure you, in the way you might WANT to spend a vacation in Amsterdam laying in bed). I realized it was about 4:30pm at home, so I called the wife, just so I could unload and try to find some encouragement. She was supportive and understanding as always, and I got to talk to my daughter as well, which really brightened my day and made me long for home at the same time. Sorta bizarre, after all my dreaming about this place, that I’d wish I was home to ANY degree.

In the half-hour I was on the phone, the weather went from: calm but cold, to breezy, then rainy, then almost immediately into a beautiful fluffy snowfall, with big, soft flakes. I took it as a good omen, as I’d always liked snow and how it always seemed to calm me. One of my favorite things about winter at home is going outside during a really heavy snowfall. Everything gets so quiet, as the snow covers up the world, turning sharp edges into smooth white.

My poor shoe selection made the subsequent walk through the snow a very slippery proposition, but I gathered enough strength to go walk amongst the upright people for a little longer…

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Sat Sep 04, 11:01 am

S**t what a way to spend precious time in Amsterdam!!! But kudos to you for doing the right thing by your friend...

...Boner...

naughtynurse
regular
regular

Postby naughtynurse » Sun Sep 05, 1:28 pm

Talk about a buzz killer!! Hope your friend is feeling much better..he was lucky to have you. Let this story be a lesson to all first timers..I hope that you and your friend will give amsterdam another chance as it is truly the best city in the world!

NN

Blackout
power poster
power poster

Postby Blackout » Sun Sep 05, 6:34 pm

I hope your friend feels better and can enjoy his last day. He's lucky he's got a good friend to take care of him. Hope your trip gets better.

Delta9
super poster
super poster

Postby Delta9 » Sun Sep 05, 9:06 pm

Thanks for the replies and the kind words! This was definitely a hard report to write, just because it was a difficult experience to go through in the first place. Writing about it brings back such feelings of "I'm wasting my vacation...", but I've always been an open book (sometimes to my detriment) so here it is. Think what you will of me.

boner - Yeah, it was like this invisible ticking clock chasing me around the entire 48 hours he was there. Sorta like the "Telltale Heart", except I hadn't killed anyone... :)

naughtynurse - Buzzkill to the tenth power, I can assure you. It's definitely a cautionary tale not to overdo it. He's feeling better now (this was back in February - I'm such a procrastinator with the reports), I'll give the update in the next installment. No worries with regards to me giving Amsterdam another chance, though I don't think he'll return. By the time he'd shown up, I was already thoroughly in love with the city. Looks like I'll be back in April for the big party! Heck, maybe I'll try to talk another friend into coming with me to visit the wonderful hospitals in Holland! LOL

Blackout - Thanks for the good wishes, stay tuned for the rest of his experience. At least I didn't let it completely wreck the rest of MY week (I did have fun). Although I was questioning just how good a friend I was, both for letting him get that f'ed up on the one hand, and for wanting to simply run from the room and say to hell with him, let him waste HIS time. Ultimately though, my momma brought me up right, and I hung in there.

jerkypete49
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby jerkypete49 » Mon Sep 06, 6:02 pm

Oh my goodness, That's TERRIBLE!!!
So sorry, Delta.

Happened to me one time on mushrooms.

I think all the regulars should chip in and send you back on a holiday. :D
I'll do my share.

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Mon Sep 06, 6:24 pm

Delta-cannabinol dude...

I just read parts 1 & 2... they were buried...I musta missed them whilst on my forced "vacation" ... lol.

Exxxcellent! I scribbled the Thai ref to try and find in NOV.

Thanks! I love me some Thai.

WOOT!

Delta9
super poster
super poster

Postby Delta9 » Tue Sep 07, 5:09 pm

jerkypete49 wrote:I think all the regulars should chip in and send you back on a holiday. :D
I'll do my share.

Now THAT'S a program I can get behind - "The Delta9 Vacation Reclamation Drive". Simply PayPal me your left over Euros after you come back, and I'll get back to Amsterdam in no time! :)

a bollocks - Let me know how you make out with that Thai, hope it's still there. You could always check with Puffin13 on this board too, he's the source of the tip...have fun in Nov, wish I was going then...

8 months and counting!

:)

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Oh Man.

Postby LastHamlet » Wed Sep 15, 4:12 pm

Indeed what a buzz kill. I really hated to hear that Delta9. I know it was quite a damper, and sometimes there is a fine line in being a friend, and suddenly acquiring a dependant. I hope all is well now.
Sorry for the Telltale Heart adventure.
A reclaim journey should be in the works, and I am down for a chip in.
Sorry for Your Troubles Delta,
LastHamlet

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”