Dutchies in America.

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Dutchies in America.

Postby MileHighDenver » Mon Aug 30, 6:10 pm

This will be a reverse trip report if that is acceptable to the moderators of this board.

My friends arrived on time Saturday 8-28. Customs in Denver kept them for almost an hour and half asking questions and going thru their stuff. Welcome to America, glad you are here. NOT. Those fuckers did not make a good impression on my friends.

We made to the house, got settled a little and then hit the bar. We went to a big bar, with pool, darts, music, dancing, and lot's of drunk americans. They had a blast. Fred is a great dart player and was kicking the ass's of all the locals. He has been invited back for a tournament next Saturday night. We drank lots of Corona's, and closed the bar, their first night here. Now we must rest, as we plan on a homegrown music festival in Golden Colorado Sunday. More to follow.

milehigh

I am also learing Dutch, and much more about Holland and local customs, food, and celebrations. We are making Dutch meatballs with gravy for Monday night. Yummmm!!!!!

caminoreal
super poster
super poster

Postby caminoreal » Mon Aug 30, 7:12 pm

keep us posted, mhd
show those guys a good time. we all enjoy the Netherlands so much, I feel an obligation for us to show them a good time when they come to see us.

Blackout
power poster
power poster

Postby Blackout » Thu Sep 02, 1:30 am

So much fun, I don't know where to begin... Yesterday we went to Wendys, and OH man did Denne love his triple stack. Then we were off for some golf. Fred and Denne had never played before (I've only played twice previous) so we went to a driving range first. Lots of good laughs trying to hit the ball sweeping tractor and trying not to hit each other. lol.
Then we met up with a friend of mine at a small par 3 course of nine holes. We split into two groups (Fred, my friend Tai and myself/ MHD and Fred). Denne and my Dad played on ahead of us, and then we followed. We didn't really keep score but I'm pretty sure I got whooped..lol. Fred birdied on the 7th hole making it in two shots. We all played bad and had a great time. Later that night MHD took them to the state fair in Pueblo and saw REO Speedwagon as well as some good local bands. I didn't go but I heard somthing about a mechanical bull and buying some cowbuy hats, MHD was there he can fill you in. I know I'm skipping over tons of funny stuff MHD can add...

Today, they rented Harleys. Man I never seen two happier dudes. They went riding around all morning and stopped at Wendys again for another "snack" lol... I really think they are having more fun here than we have when we go there... But they are spending alot more money than I could afford too. MDH can fill in some of the rest. =)

Chiqui
power poster
power poster

Postby Chiqui » Thu Sep 02, 8:24 am

This is so cool you can finally show your Dutch friends around your city MHD and Blackout! Friends for life....so precious.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Thu Sep 02, 2:44 pm

Sunday 8-29, We are all up early with hangovers. Fred has gifts for me. A nice red fleece pullover, because I wear to many dark colors(only when I am in Holland Fred)he says. A six pack or REAL Heinekin, and some car mags for Blackout. Then we head to breakfast at the Village Inn. They are grinning ear to ear at the menu, and about having their first american breakfast. So we eat good, they are beaming, and off to the music festival. It is clear across town, so it was about a 20 mile drive. Along the way, we saw Hummers, SUVs, big Pick Ups, big cars, and very big semi tractor's. They love the amercian automobiles. They pointed out that all of our thru streets are 6 lanes wide. They are amazed at the place that sells toppers for pick ups. The toppers are stacked 10 high and cover a very large lot.
The music festial was for "Save the Mesa's", and had a lot of great local talent. It was next to a river that people were kiyaking on and tubing down. Very beautiful place. We ate, drank, and listened to the music. One female vocalist was really good, and we were told on the verge of stardom. She had several CD,s and Fred bought one and got an autograph and photo. Very nice.

On our back form the festival, we stopped and did our grocery shopping and got supplies to cook some big steaks on the grill. They also loved the grocery store. We spent an extra hour, just touring it.

Got home, and cooked out, ate well, and hung out and drank the rest of the Corona. A very good 2nd Day.

Dutch obserservations,

American girls all have big breasts.
American girls dance much dirtier.
Americans eat WAY to much. Portions are way to large.
A small beer here is bigger then a large beer there.
Our prices are much lower on all the good stuff, like cowboy hats, Dusters, All Harley gear, motorcycle parts, and most other things.

Chooby
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Chooby » Thu Sep 02, 3:23 pm

Keep up the good work Mile High!

Hell maybe I'm coming to Denver now.

Otis
super power poster
super power poster
Location: Recovering from years of racing sailboats on SF Bay

Postby Otis » Thu Sep 02, 3:32 pm

I thought the Dutch observations you listed were very interesting and provides a look at America thru experiences of someone starting with different baseline of previously conceived expectations. I wonder how all that 'big' stuff got so popular, and how to make it less popular. How to put quality over quantity again.

Otis

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Thu Sep 02, 3:47 pm

Thanks Chooby, your welcome anytime of course...

I am to lazy to do a day by day, and I am already forgetting stuff. My friends have said we have done more in 4 days then they expected to do in all 15 days they are here.

We went to the Colorado State Fair in Pueblo. Cowboys, Indians, and lots of country music. Denne, got real drunk and rode the mechanical bull. We saw REO Speedwagon at a big indoor arena. They both sang along to the songs. They were stoked big time. We all bought 10 gallon cowboy hats and struted up and down the midway. I tell you those things are chick magnets. Denne also bought a duster(long black oiled cowboy coat) for $100.00. He said in A-dam the same coat would be 500 Euros for a fake.

They wanted to go to a surplus store to shop for boots, and other stuff. Per blackout, we went to a big one and they scored everything they wanted and more. Kids in candy shop. Brings back all my feelings when I visit them.

Wednesday they rented a Fat Boy, and a Wide Glide, from Mile High Harley Davidson. Also bought parts for his back home( which by the way will be MINE, next warm visit to Mokum). Denne is not use to great big bikes and the american road system, so he was content to ride around the neighborhood. Fred had other ideas, so I took the wide glide, and Fred and I rode into the mountains. I have not been on a bike for 20 years. I got on that big beast, and just rode the hell out of it. This may be one of the greatest days of my life. I thought the cowboy hats were chick magnets. Holy shit, I had no idea. Even soccer moms smile and wave. So, I have been born again, and I think I may be a biker in this life. LOL... Fred cannot wipe the grin off his face or the bugs from his teeth. This morning we must return the Harleys. He says next time we rent for 2 weeks. What a rush. Those things go like hell.

So it's been 5 days now, and we still have Vegas for the climax.

Fred wants me to put his name, address, and phone on my web site for the big trip. He is very excited about being the local contact. He plans on making some special arrangements for my group to do some special things. His buddy owns a coffeeshop in Amsterdam called "The Jungle". So, I think for the nay sayers, I may be on my way. He also lives about 9 doors away from Life in Beverwijk. Both guys know some growers and may arrange some tours of those.

Thats all for now.

milehigh

I forgot to mention. Last night, Ladies night at "The Stampede", a giant nightclub in Denver. Left them there with cab instructions. They are still sleeping at 9am as I type this. They must a had a big time....

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Thu Sep 02, 4:45 pm

Great job MHD! I love this "reverse" trip report stuff. It has been my wish to rent a Harley in Holland some one of these trips and tour the back roads. (BTW a nod and an R.I.P. to "Indian Larry" may he always ride free.)
Keep up the good work. I can't wait to hear what they think of Vegas. Be sure to take them to old town for the "Fremont Street Experience" I know they have never seen anything like that. Smoke a joint first, lol.
Pax

Blackout
power poster
power poster

Postby Blackout » Thu Sep 02, 5:01 pm

So we all wake up mildly hung over (some more than others) and go out on to the patio for a morning nicotine fix, Fred and and Denne usually have their first cig in there undies.. lol... Right not we are getting ready to return the Harleys and maybe go get some early lunch... Denne was going to make some Dutch eggs but the hang overs kinda put that on hold... lol...

Also, yesterday during Fred and MHDs ride to the mountain, Denne and I went to our pool. I didn't think Denne's smile could get any bigger. We swam for a while and laid out in the sun. Denne said "This is my country". So that made me feel like we really are showing them a good time.

So far I don't think their trip could go any better. Anyone have any ideas incase we have an extra day or two?

BTW... Fred laughed his ass off at the shwag I showed him... Fred: "your not going to smoke that shit"... Even though they don't smoke much (only at home on his own couch)...

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Thu Sep 02, 7:16 pm

Blackout wrote: Denne said "This is my country". ...

Gee, my feelings exactly when I visit Holland! Guess it's the old "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome.

What an interesting thread.

Dogbreath :-)

Blackout
power poster
power poster

Postby Blackout » Thu Sep 02, 7:51 pm

Dogbreath wrote:
Gee, my feelings exactly when I visit Holland! Guess it's the old "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome.

I couldn't agree more. :) I think the hash is blacker too... lol

I just finished a great dutch breakfast from chef Denne, good stuff. Also I forgot to mention Freds excellent meat balls the other night.. =D

Puffbob
regular
regular

Postby Puffbob » Fri Sep 03, 4:52 pm

Hey Mile High and Black Out........Thanks for this cool report, what a fresh idea! I've been to Denver many times and still have some good friends in Lakewood. I really connected with your Harley stories as I have a wide glide myself..........and know the feeling. I'll be standing by for more stories of your good times with your friends from the Dam.
Peace.
PB

naughtynurse
regular
regular

Postby naughtynurse » Fri Sep 03, 5:04 pm

Milehigh...

Great reports! Looking forward to reading more as well as meeting you in person in mokum in October!

NN

Blackout
power poster
power poster

Postby Blackout » Fri Sep 03, 6:13 pm

Yesterday MHD took the guys to the Aurora Mall for lots more shopping and exploring... I imagine it just like when I'm in Holland, I can walk around looking at the dumbest thinks and be perfectly happy. They came home with big shopping bags and even bigger smiles. We pretty much relaxed for the rest of the night and sent MHD and Fred to get some Chinese take out. Now this is somthing I've really been looking forward to...

Each time I've been to Beverwijk with Fred, we've had Chinese food. Once it was delivery and once at a VERY nice restaurant (Blue Palace I think). Each of those times I tried to describe what I wanted to order and always ended up with somthing differant (still very good though). Ahhhh now we have Sweet and Sour Chicken and fried rice and all the other things often found in American Chinese food. We did our best to finish it but as always... There are little white boxes in the fridge..lol. They loved it. :D

Today MHD is taking them to Mt. Evans, he'll fill you all in. Later I'm taking them to a place my friend works called Aqua Golf (driving range into a small lake) and then to some batting cages. Niether on has ever played baseball so they are exicted. I'll let you all know how it goes later...

Airline Guy
regular
regular

Postby Airline Guy » Fri Sep 03, 7:05 pm

MHD & Blackout

Great report, enjoyed reading it. I look foward to taking that trip to the Dam with you MHD in Oct. as well as looking foward to meeting your friends.
Glad you got the buddy pass I sent.
See you in Atlanta later this month

Maid Marian
power poster
power poster

Love the Report......

Postby Maid Marian » Sat Sep 04, 11:55 am

What a fabulous report Mile High.......It is a great idea.

Maybe you could take them to Idaho Springs and show them some of the old saloons.......if they are still there. They would probably love that, if you have the time.

It is really interesting.........tell us more!

Peace..........MM

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby dannymac » Sat Sep 04, 12:40 pm

Better yet, did they smoke a joint from atop Mt. Evans? A buzz can feel quite different from 14,000+ feet up!
Although I wouldn't advise driving back down immediately thereafter. ;-)

Also, you don't mention how you're getting to Vegas, & if you're driving, how much extra time you have. If you are driving and have extra time, you could take them to the Great Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde National Parks. You'd also end up cutting through Durango, with it's narrow gauge railroad.
Ain't got nothin' like any of these attractions in the Netherlands!

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sat Sep 04, 6:05 pm

Thanks for all the kudo's. We are having a great time.
MM - Fred and I rode the Harleys to Idaho Springs.
AG - We will have fun. Have you picked dates yet?
DM - We are flying to Vegas :>( so we will miss the inbetween. However, we have toured alot of Colorado, including Mt. Evans yesterday.

Mt. Evans is in the top 3 highest mountains in Colorado, 14,326' or about 4 and half klicks as Fred would say. I have taken photos of almost everything and will post them end of next week. Those two Dutchies could hardly contain themselves. They had to climb to the highest rock on the top of the mountain. If it is a very clear day, and you look hard, you really can see Holland from up there. They could not catch their breaths. They puffed and panted like a couple of dogs. It was 36 degrees at the top. 90 in Denver. They will close the road to the top on labor day. So our timing was perfect.
We spent half a day at Park Meadows Mall. There was a chrome and purple H2 with chrome 26" rims parked outside. They spent 15 minutes with it, and had me take their photo standing in front of it. Cheese.
Of course the mall was another highlight. They spent an hour in Spencer gifts buying more junk. We checked out the big sports stores, bought used video games, and sat in the food court. More photos in front of the giant fireplace, and the indoor waterfalls. LOL...
We also spent time at Aurora Mall(our ghetto mall). They have got to see me buy my smoke now twice. They now realize the hassel most of us endure here in the quest for buzz. I have had to settle for schwag one of those times. YUK.
I took them to one of my customers that has a big off road store. He has a big foot truck in the back. Fred and Denne, got to sit in the driver sit and really check it all out. Another great photo op. They had never seen a monster truck, expect on TV of course.
Last night on the way back from Aqua golf, we stopped at Sonic for dinner. Carhops, and old rock and roll, "Just like in the movies man".

I know I have missed alot, but I can only sit down and do this at odd times and in a hurry, with less then a clear mind, and no notes to speak of.

Today, we head to downtown Denver for "A Taste of Colorado", a big festival, with food, music, and fun.

milehigh

They also love our squirrels, praire dogs, and chipmunks.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

More Dutchie observations.

Postby MileHighDenver » Sat Sep 04, 6:24 pm

More Dutch observations.

Why do you keep your eggs in the refrigarator?
Why is all your bread wet?
Man your toilet paper is so soft.
What the fuck, your washer and dryer are big enough for an Army.
Why do have two refrigarators?
Orange juice from concentrate, you've got to be kidding.
The fucking traffic lights are on the wrong side of the street.
Jesus man, theres enough food on that plate for the whole table.
How can you wash yourself with a stick of soap?
Shit man, everything is so cheap.

milehigh

Fred has the coolest Amsterdam brand shoes. They have the three Xs on the bottom, and say Amsterdam on the tounge. I must have a pair of these. :>) He also ordered two pocket bikes off of Ebay to take back with him.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Sat Sep 04, 8:15 pm

Those Dutchie observations: Love it!

Dogbreath :-)

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Viva Las Vegas

Postby MileHighDenver » Tue Sep 07, 3:43 am

Just printed off our boarding pass's for Vegas. We leave at 8am and arrive at 8:50am. We are staying at the Stratosphere. Not the nicest, but unique. This should be fun taking two first timers. I have plans ;>)

We have had a good last couple of days. Went to "A taste of Colorado" festival downtown. I couldn't get them to eat a turkey leg, but they got to watch me eat one. Seems they don't care for meat with bones attached. There were several stages with music, the one that stood out was bluegrass. Beers were 5 dollars, but a small was still much bigger then a large in Holland. The place was held in the Denver civic center park. Downtown between the capital and our skyscrapers. A very nice place. They are very impressed with the size of the buildings downtown. Being Labor Day, it was packed. Fred bought a nice digital camera at a pawn shop on Colfax in Aurora. So he has been taking lots of photos. We also hit a nice Mexican American restaurant and the really liked that to. Fred got a small Sunday at DQ and could hardly finish it. The really can't get over the size of the portions here, and the fact that you can refill your soft drink or coffee as many times as you like in a lot of places. They went to a barbeque with some people they met in the bar yesterday. Denne says "Barbequing in the afternoon! What a life." The Dutch never cookout before 6pm for whatever reason

Off to Vegas for a few days. I will try to report on that trip and do a summary, next weekend.

milehigh

Blackout
power poster
power poster

Postby Blackout » Tue Sep 07, 5:45 pm

On Saturday we took the guys back to the "famous Door", the bar we played pool and darts in earlier in the week. Well we left them there for some fun, Fred always makes friends wherever he goes... I picked them up before closing time and met there new buddies. The next day they went to a barbeque from about noon to 5pm... Later that night we orderd pizza (PizzaHut)... They found yet another american thing that they love! I remember hearing Denne say (with a large smile mind you) "Barbeque in the afternoon and pizza for dinner, life is good" But you really need to here Denne say it with his dutch accent to get the real feel of it... :D

So they left early this morning for Vegas, I'm sure they'll have a blast, stay tuned...

TheDude
power poster
power poster

thc

Postby TheDude » Wed Sep 08, 1:18 am

Neat man I like the rev thing what is their take on our strange way's?

Blackout
power poster
power poster

Postby Blackout » Fri Sep 10, 7:39 pm

One funny observation I made today... They use the bath room with the door open, and close it when they are done... Its pretty funny really...

Its been happening for two weeks and just this morning I decided it was funny...lol

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Viva Las Vegas

Postby MileHighDenver » Mon Sep 13, 2:43 pm

My friends and I made it to Vegas. As we got off the plane and walked into the first airport lobby, we could hear the sounds of slot machines. Denne looked a little disappointed. He thought the airport was Vegas. Imagine the look on his face when he realized we had not left the airport yet. One airport lobby has more slots then “The Holland Casino” on The Leidesplein in Amsterdam. Then imagine the look when I walked up to a limo and arranged for a ride to our hotel. There are not many limos in Holland, so this was a real treat. I got the driver to take us via I15 and Sahara Blvd, so they could see the “Welcome to Las Vegas” sign. The driver told us that every movie made in Las Vegas has to show this sign at least twice. So this was a land mark they were familiar with. Then he drove us up the strip. My Dutch friends were speechless. They had no idea everythink was so big. One of them has an extreme fear of heights. We stayed at the Stratosphere and never made it to the top. I figured if we got split up, that would be the easiest place to find. Just go outside and look up. It never happened as they stayed very close to me.

We made it to two shows. “Viva Las Vegas” was a afternoon review at the Strat. Then we went to the Tropicana for the all topless Follies. They had a little Mexican guy that could juggle like hell. Both were very good shows, and a lot of fun and laughs. We met some crazy Canadian girls and hung out with them for a day. The Dutch guys took a day to really understand that anything goes in Vegas. They collected the cards being handed out on the streets advertising escort services. What a far cry from the RLD. The chances of you getting the girl pictured on the card are zero. All the cards advertise escorts for $49.00 or two for $89.00. They pointed out this is much cheaper then the RLD girls. I explained to them that the $49.00 only gets them to the door.

We rode the new monorail from The Sahara to the MGM, and then walked all the way back. They loved the pirate battle at Treasure Island. They loved the volcano in front of the Mirage. But their favorite were the giant dancing fountains in front of the Beliagio. They also liked the animatronics’ Caesar in the Forum shops. That Strip is one amazing place. You can carry your beer on the street. A big no no in Holland.

Eating, BUFFETS, WAHOOO!!!. If you’ve ever been, then you know what I am talking about. We hit several of the buffets at the big properties. Fred and Denne were blown away by the choice, price, and quality of the buffets. We ate very well. We drank yard long margaritas. They came in a Stratosphere shaped containers. Nice souvenirs lol. We shopped for additional souvenirs. 5 t-shirts for $10.00. Another great Vegas bargain. “My friends went to Vegas, and alls I got was this lousy t-shirt”.

We spent time at the Nascar Café. Denne drove the simulator and got 2nd place. We spent time at The Harley Davidson Café. A nice place to drink Budweiser and watch the people go by.

Gambling, We played the slots, a lot of Blackjack, some roulette, and some 3 card poker. We all won some and lost some. Denne won $500.00 on the roulette table 15 minutes before we left for the airport. A nice way to leave Vegas.

Over all, my friends had a better then great time in Vegas. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. I have more to share when I meet some of you in person, hehe..

We spent a total of 8 hours in our hotel room in 3 days. A little nap from 5am till 8am seemed to put us right. Then back to the tables. We never made it to Fremont street, or some of the other attractions, like Meade lake or Hoover dam. So I have lots to show them on their next trip to Vegas. I think they are already making plans.

milehigh

thanks to blackout for staying home and holding down the fort.

naughtynurse
regular
regular

Postby naughtynurse » Mon Sep 13, 11:41 pm

Sounds like you boys had a great time...can't wait to hear all the details in october!

NN

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Homeward Bound

Postby MileHighDenver » Tue Sep 14, 4:32 am

My buddies are on their way home with about 100 pounds more then they left with. Fred had me buy two pocket bikes (49cc mini bikes shaped like little crouch rockets) off of Ebay. We shipped them to Holland on Saturday. He says he saved about 700 Euros each by buying them here. They took cowboy hats, coats, shoes, boots, jeans, shirts, a case of pepto-bismo, zippo lighters, games, electronics, cameras, Harley parts, saddle bags, Bacardi-O, other assorted liquor, peanut butter cups, country music CDs, toys, and a lot more I can't remember.
Their last two days here, we did more shopping, went to the bar on Saturday night, and the driving range on Sunday. It was hard to muster much energy after 3 days in Vegas, but we managed enough for a good send off. I am positive they had a great time and will have a lot to tell their friends in Holland.

I know they are making plans for when I come to visit them in a few weeks. Fred just got a new Harley and if the weather is good, I am going for a ride.

milehigh

jerkypete49
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby jerkypete49 » Tue Sep 14, 12:56 pm

WOW!!! I'm speechless. Terrific reports and insights.
Thanks to you both for taking the time to put it all down.

Bathroom door open huh?, very funny. :D

I send my A'dam buddy Chuck Taylor lowtop sneakers that he can't get there. And I recently got him an alto-sax for about half of what he would have paid in the Netherlands.

Really looking forward to meeting up with you in November. :D

Chooby
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Chooby » Tue Sep 14, 2:37 pm

Very well done Mile High. Both the report and the vacation you enhanced for good friends.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”