Dam Virgin No More!

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

caminoreal
super poster
super poster

Dam Virgin No More!

Postby caminoreal » Wed Aug 11, 9:46 pm

DAY ONE
I have to admit it. I’m a lightweight.
I always thought I could hold my own in any bout of dope-smoking, but after my first visit to Amsterdam, I’ve got to say, my tolerance for weed must be far lower than that of several of the regulars on this board.
I developed a killer cold en route to Amsterdam, so I don’t know if the cold or associated medications reduced my tolerance in some way, but I do know I stayed stoned most of the time, yet only purchased and smoked a fraction of what I expected to sample.
I couldn’t even finish a gram a day by myself. Hell, my buddy and I bought six grams in five days and couldn’t even finish it off. Wound up giving a mixed gram or so, as well as our pipes, to some youngsters at Centraal Station as we were departing for Schipol.
We flew from the U.S. to London to spend a few days staying with a friend, then flew over to Amsterdam on EasyJet on a Sunday morning. Thanks to all of the great advice from posters on Channels, we bought our GVB passes, got on the right tram, got off at Rembrandtplein, walked directly to our hotel, etc., without a hitch.
Because it was still mid-morning, our room at the Veteran Hotel wasn’t ready, so we stashed our bags, went and grabbed a beer at a café near Rembrandtplein, then some fries at one of those Valamese Frites stands, then strolled up past the flower market and straight to the Dampkring. Even though our hotel was right next door to one of the Bushdocter shops, we both wanted to see Dampkring.
The dealer there was friendly and helpful. I bought a gram of NYC Diesel and a gram of Kali Mist. My buddy bought a gram of, if I remember correctly, Allegria. Then we stopped at a headshop and bought my friend a pipe like the little one I brought with me from home.
We decided we’d wait until we got into our room to smoke our gear, so we wandered over to the Albert Heijn and bought some sodas, juices and snacks to take back to the room.
When we went back to the hotel, and just about freaked over the ladder-like stairs up to our tiny room, we were shocked to find only one bed in the room. We quickly decided we didn’t want to share a bed. Fortunately, when I made the reservation through Bookings.nl, I had specified that I wanted a room with TWO BEDS for TWO ADULT MALES.
We figured that since the Rembrandtplein area is known for its gay bars, it might be the norm for two adult males to share a single bed. But, being straight, we insisted on changing rooms. It was fortunate that we did, because the room we got instead, for only 14 Euros a night more, was a much larger room that had a double bed, a twin bed and two bunk beds, as well as a private bath and TV, etc. But the best part was two windows, both lined with bright-red geraniums blooming on the ledge, that overlooked the “15 bridges” canal intersection where Thorbeckplein meets the Herengracht.
Over the next few days, we spent much of our time seated at our windows, getting stoned and watching the tremendously diverse summertime populace of Amsterdam pass by our windows on foot, on bikes or in boats. Day or night, it was way better than television.
We fired up. My buddy Chris smoked a bowl of Allegria and after only a couple of hits was grinning like the Cheshire cat. I smoked an entire bowl of my Kali Mist and felt hardly a thing. Only the slightest hint of a buzz. I refilled my small pipe and took a hit off of the second bowl, when suddenly the first bowl hit me hard. The Kali Mist was a tremendous, giggly high. Everything was funny. Turned 55 just days before my trip, but I felt like a giggling college student smoking dope in the dorm again. It was great. For the next few days, whenever I felt like a really uplifting high, I reached for the Kali Mist.
Both varieties were very fragrant and just covered in crystals. We kept placing little bits of the weed in the sunlight and looking at it through a magnifier, then kept sniffing the little baggies just to get another whiff of those wonderful aromas.
We were tired after having risen really early in London that morning and fighting the airport crowds, so we pretty much hung around the room, smoking gear and people-watching, until we crashed late that night. We went out only to go grab two giant falafel pita sandwiches at the Maoz stand across from Muntplein and some more juices from the market.
DAY TWO
The second morning I went down to eat breakfast and my buddy was late coming down. When he did, he said he was afraid he had injured his back some way. He was in pain and couldn’t move without making it worse. Having had spinal problems earlier, he wanted to find a doctor to check it out. The hotel proprietor gave him a Chinese plaster to put on his back, then found a reasonably priced (35 Euros) physician to see him. We walked down to Sarphati Park to see the doctor, then stopped at a pharmacy to pick up some pain pills and valium the doctor prescribed.
We went back to the room and my buddy fired up a bowl of his Allegria while I dived into the NYC Diesel. We spent the rest of that day trying to put a bigger dent in our stash. The Diesel was definitely the worst weed we bought. It got me off, but it was just kind of a “blah” high. Not a couch-locker, nor a good head high, just a so-so buzz with nothing to really distinguish it. I smoked two or three bowls of it, then went back to my lovely Kali Mist.
At week’s end,the NYC Diesel was one of the leftovers we gave away.
DAY THREE
The next morning we went to the Rikjsmuseum. I was disappointed. There was this huge, beautiful building that looked like something that would rival the National Gallery in London. But after paying our 9 Euros admission each, we saw only a very small collection. I’ll grant you it was an outstanding small collection, with some of Rembrandt’s most famous work, but having just come from London’s Victoria and Albert Museum, National Gallery and the British Museum, the tiny portion of the Rijksmuseum that was open to the public this summer seemed kind of piddling.
My buddy opted to go to the Van Gogh museum afterward. I went back to Centraal station to check on train tickets to Haarlem and to pick up a tram route map at the GVB office. Then I strolled down to Oude Kirk to get my first look at the RLD.
Horrors! It was mid-day and most of the women in the kamers around Oude Kirk were middle aged, over-weight and ugly. I’m no prize, but they would have to pay me to have sex with them. Surely, I thought, this isn’t what the famed Amsterdam RLD is really like. I did see a couple of younger, prettier girls in that narrow alley behind the Bulldog, but there were some really scary women around Oude Kirk.
Fortunately I strolled back through the district later that evening and saw dozens of beautiful young women in nearly all of the kamers. One pretty young blonde asked me to come in. I declined. She asked me where I was from and whether this was my first visit to Amsterdam. I told her that, yes, I was a first-timer. She said, “You haven’t been to the Nederlands until you’ve had a Dutch girl and eaten a raw herring.” And, she added, “I’m a real Dutch girl.”
I didn’t ask if she had any herring as well.
I strolled around looking for the kamers in the Singel area, but never found them. Still don’t know where that RLD is located.
In the afternoon, we went in search of the Belgique Café near Dam Square. We wanted to sample some of the Belgian beers available there. Then we went to De Kuil to try a vaporizer for the first time.
It kicked my butt! Big time.
I bought a gram of Blueberry in honor of our friend and fellow Channelite poster of the same name. My buddy bought a gram of Super Silver Haze. We ordered up a couple of vapo bags of the Haze while we sipped beers at the bar. The dealer brought my bag first and I started sucking it down. But after I sucked it about three-quarters dry, I knew I had overdone it. Suddenly a wave of paranoia grabbed my brain. I was terrified.
I knew it was merely weed-induced, and that there was nothing really to be worried about, with the possible exception of embarrassing myself. But, still, I had over-smoked.
The barmaid was chatting on the phone in front of me. I waited for what seemed like a half-hour, but was probably about two minutes, hoping to order a Coke and try to bring myself down a little. Finally the dealer walked behind the bar and I asked him for a Coke, which I promptly chug-a-lugged.
I waited for what seemed like another half-hour. No change. Raging paranoia continued.
“You know what Blueberry and Bollocks told us about drinking a Coke to bring you down if you over-do it?” I said to my buddy, “Well, that’s bullshit!” It didn’t phase my high or my paranoia in the slightest.
My friend finished the vapo bag and waited for me to get straighter. He said he needed to visit the bathroom. I waited in terror for what seemed an eternity until he returned.
It was strange. My rational mind knew there was absolutely nothing to be paranoid about, but fear still had a grip on me. It was almost like being on a bad acid trip.
Finally I agreed to start working my way back to Dam Square to catch a tram back to the hotel. “OK, but if I say stop, you’ll have to stop and wait for me,” I told my friend. I had to make one stop and lean against a wall for a minute. Then when we reached the edge of the square I had to stop and rest in the shade for a few minutes. Bright sunlight seemed to trigger even stronger waves of fear. It took a lot of willpower to strike out across Dam Square in the sunlight to wait at the tram stop.
It was a long journey back to the hotel room, but once I climbed those steep stairs and slammed the room door behind me, it was like a great weight lifted off of my shoulders. The fear disappeared. I lay down and rested for a short while, then was ready to fill up the pipe with Kali Mist and smoke some more.
It must have been the vaporizer, because I later smoked more of the Super Silver Haze in the pipe without any ill effects, getting a very pleasant high that was only mildly potent.
I smoked my butt off for the rest of the stay, without any more bouts of paranoia.
DAY FOUR
We slept in, ate breakfast and had a bowl-full each – Blueberry for me, the Haze for my roomie -- then headed to Centraal Station and caught a train to Haarlem. We walked right past Willie Wortel’s by the Haarlem station without seeing it and spent a few hours wandering around, together and separately, before going to a coffeeshop, the name of which I can’t remember, a couple of blocks from the Grotemarket. We bought a gram of some Sativa, for which I can’t remember the name, and sat at a sidewalk table smoking our pipes. It wasn’t very impressive, which is probably why I can’t remember the name. We had planned to stick around for a steak Wilma and Albert’s, but opted to return earlier to Amsterdam instead.
Back in the Dam, we loaded up on munchies at the market and spent the evening smoking on a bench in Thorbeckplein and at the windows in our room, until we crashed.
DAY FIVE.
Boo hoo! Where the hell did the days go. So much weed. So little time. And what the hell was I thinking, booking only five days in Amsterdam? Ah yes, I remember now. Back last winter when my friend and I first discussed, “checking out Amsterdam” as a sidebar to our London trip this summer, it seemed like an insignificant little jaunt, just to see if Amsterdam was worth any further attention.
But leaving after only five days feels like coitus interruptus. Hell, I was just starting to get the feel of the place. And I hadn’t even sampled a fourth of my “must try” list of weeds and hashes.
We rose, ate breakfast, packed our bags, and spent the last day shopping and sitting in front of the Bushdocter and trying, unsuccessfully, to finish off our stash. We still had a dab of this and a dab of that left when it was time to catch the train to Schipol.
I know that if we rolled joints we would have gone through quite a bit more weed. But, smoking it in small pipes, it didn’t take much volume of weed to get a good buzz on. Another little bowl each, every hour or so, kept us flying. And there were eight or ten bowls full in most of the grams we bought.
Four of the six weeds we bought were very good. Three were excellent – Kali Mist, Allegria and Super Silver Haze.
My only question now is, how and when I’m going to get back to work my way further down my “must try” list.
I have a new hobby.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Wed Aug 11, 10:40 pm

Dude, I know that paranoid fear you describe. I am sitting here reading this and laughing out loud, cause I BEEN THERE. hahahaha!!!!

Great report. Thank you for sharing your experience. Sounds like you found Harlemm less then you expected maybe?

milehigh

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Wed Aug 11, 11:06 pm

Excellent report, I love hearing about peoples first time in Amsterdam, and yes I laughed at the paranoia situation cause I too have been there (several times!!) glad you enjoyed the rest of your time though...

...Boner...

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Postby BlueBerry » Wed Aug 11, 11:27 pm

Great Report Camino!

Thanks so much for the honorable smokage,, bet it tasted sweet ;)

Wonderful to hear you had such a terrific time and that you made it back safely.

<next time take Candy Bars>

BlueBerry

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Wed Aug 11, 11:55 pm

what a goob.

Stick to City Weeds. HA!
thanks btw, again.

"She said, “You haven’t been to the Nederlands until you’ve had a Dutch girl and eaten a raw herring."

can we say, "Two, TWO, two mints in one!" lordy. you old fart.

Excellent trip report, my good friend. Drink beer with your vapo next time! HAHAHA!

"paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep..."
I think if you'd just gone outside and forced the issue... also got some fresh air.... you'd been fine. Besides, BB & I said "one must ingest the Coca-Cola® intraveneously."... duh. Actually you're hard of hearing. I said, COCAINE.

My first(4) hit(s) in A'Dam was (were) from a vapo. I hadda sit and then git. As I walked it was super-cool to be in a place where a stumbling ass is ok. No paranoia. Just fresh canal-air and a mini-RLD. no herring.

Wunnerful writing. Funny shite too.

Thanks!

WOOT!

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Dam Virgin No More!

Postby Bohannon » Thu Aug 12, 12:10 am

caminoreal wrote: My only question now is, how and when I’m going to get back to work my way further down my “must try” list.
I have a new hobby.

Ahh the rubber band effect takes hold! lol
Just don't try a raw herring while having a dutch girl!
Great read.
Pax

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Thu Aug 12, 12:47 am

That was a great trip. I really like your outlook on the whole Amsterdam scene. I tried to smoke all I could while I was there and still use a tram intelligently,and got lost many times which is fun in itself. I brought some high potency b-complex vitamins with me and took 2-4 whenever I over smoked and it worked like magic, usually with a beer, no paranoia. I'm a middle aged guy myself so I liked relating to your report.

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Thu Aug 12, 1:25 am

What did you think of the hotel? I've looked at that one before, was it any good? and would you stay there again?

Thanks...

...Boner...

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Thu Aug 12, 7:40 am

Nice report.

Yes, that Kali Mist is one excellent strain. A classic.

Your vaporizer experience and reaction was informative. I have yet to try a vaporizor due to fear of getting too stones and those quite unpleasant effects. After reading of your vaporizor experiences, all curiosity and desire to do a vaporizor have evaporated.

Dogbreath :-)

Maid Marian
power poster
power poster

I did that also........

Postby Maid Marian » Thu Aug 12, 12:56 pm

While we were on the crawl I got a little paranoid around the fifth CS......
I just kept on smoking, and by the next CS, I was so stoned I didn't care anymore, or was just too wasted to know.

Good report man, Thanks.........

Peace..........MM

caminoreal
super poster
super poster

Postby caminoreal » Thu Aug 12, 1:47 pm

Boner wrote:What did you think of the hotel? I've looked at that one before, was it any good? and would you stay there again?

Thanks...

...Boner...

I tried several times to get information on the Veteran before I went, but couldn't find anyone who had been there.
I was very satisfied with it. It was a typical European small hotel -- the kind that usually freaks out first-time American travelers.
But it was clean and in a GREAT location. And the best part was that the managers -- Aki Ye and his pretty young wife -- were very, very accommodating and helpful. No matter what kind of question we had or what kind of help we needed, Aki and his wife went out of their way to help us.
It's not fancy by any stretch of the imagination, but it was comfortable and safe and I would definitely stay there again.

Old Hippie Dave
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Old Hippie Dave » Thu Aug 12, 3:49 pm

sounds like you missed a whitey by an inch
Better luck next time
nice report man

come on whitey-----got my SODA all ready

viking
super power poster
super power poster

Postby viking » Thu Aug 12, 4:14 pm

Always fun reading about someone's first time in paradise.
Thanks for sharing!

I can tell you that BlueBerry can pack away those vapo bags
at de Kuil's like there's no tomorrow. Had the pleasure of
sharing quite a few there with her last September. First time
with the bags for me and I was smoking my hash/tobac joints
the whole time, too. We had a great time:)

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Postby BlueBerry » Thu Aug 12, 8:23 pm

viking wrote:I can tell you that BlueBerry can pack away those vapo bags
at de Kuil's like there's no tomorrow. Had the pleasure of
sharing quite a few there with her last September. First time
with the bags for me and I was smoking my hash/tobac joints
the whole time, too. We had a great time:)

Yeah,,, and you had NO problems taking every vapo passed your way ;)

~~~>>>>whilst I toked on Pure in between bag hits!

What Fun it was...

Is It November Yet!?!

BlueBerry

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Postby BlueBerry » Thu Aug 12, 8:25 pm

Old Hippie Dave wrote:sounds like you missed a whitey by an inch
Better luck next time
nice report man

come on whitey-----got my SODA all ready

you'd better get some Candy Bars too and pleny of them for NOV...

Obviously just plain old Soda wont do the trick!!!

~~~>>>OHDsodaAss ;)

BlueBerry

viking
super power poster
super power poster

Postby viking » Thu Aug 12, 9:39 pm

BlueBerry wrote:~~~>>>>whilst I toked on Pure in between bag hits!

What Fun it was...

Too true, Blue, too true:)

jerkypete49
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby jerkypete49 » Fri Aug 13, 12:34 pm

Very nice report. The Dutch girl and the 'herring' comment cracked me up. Maybe she wanted you to eat HER herring. :D

Surprised at the Rijksmuseum. When I was there last October, it took us about 3 1/2 hours to go through all the rooms. Must have been about 25-30 rooms. My feet were SORE by the time we left.

In my opinion, it wasn't the vaporiser that blew you away, it was the Super Silver Haze from de Kuil. I tried it this past April, and it was one the the most potent smokes I had in Amsterdam. It really rocked my world and I smoke a LOT.

Glad you had a good time.

TheDude
power poster
power poster

Paranooooiiiiidddd

Postby TheDude » Fri Aug 13, 1:28 pm

great report i enjoyed it thanks

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Long Week>>>>>

Postby LastHamlet » Sat Aug 14, 7:50 pm

What a long week it has been, but as a reward I finally got to read you fabulous Trip Report. I loved it man. Good and only choice on the room exchange. What a wonderful view that is.!!! (And, a bigger room to boot.) I think from all I have heard about the hotel, that there is no smoking, if that is any drawback to people.???
What wonderful descriptions you wrote, I simply enjoyed the grand read.
I had heard the part about the herring, but didn't know the line included a girl... I guess phrases get modified as time goes on.
Thanks fot the wonderful views.
Best Regards,
LastHamlet

caminoreal
super poster
super poster

Re: Long Week>>>>>

Postby caminoreal » Sun Aug 15, 5:29 pm

LastHamlet wrote:I think from all I have heard about the hotel, that there is no smoking, if that is any drawback to people.???

Best Regards,
LastHamlet

If iThe Veteran has a no-smoking policy, it's news to me.
There were two ash trays in the room. And we left gear and pipes out in plain sight at times, even when they came in to make the beds, etc., and no one ever said anything to us about smoking. (As if it weren't obvious from the stroopwafflle wrappers and other food debris that a couple of stoners with serious munchies were camped out in that room.) The clientele at The Veteran was pretty diverse and it struck me as a place where you could do pretty much whatever you wanted so long as you were civil and responsible.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

My Mistake.

Postby LastHamlet » Mon Aug 16, 2:47 pm

They have always been listed as a no-smoking hotel on the channels hotel pages. They are even marked with a blue star in bookings pages. My mistake, as I have never stayed, but remember how they were listed. Must be a front to keep out the power smokers like myself.... :)
However, it is good to hear you had no worries with your gear...
Many Best Regards,
LastHamlet

Chiqui
power poster
power poster

Postby Chiqui » Mon Aug 23, 8:06 am

Funny how everyone's first time is so unique. Thanks for sharing.

vansterdam
new
new

Re: My Mistake.

Postby vansterdam » Wed Sep 15, 8:59 pm

LastHamlet wrote:They have always been listed as a no-smoking hotel on the channels hotel pages. They are even marked with a blue star in bookings pages. My mistake, as I have never stayed, but remember how they were listed. Must be a front to keep out the power smokers like myself.... :)
However, it is good to hear you had no worries with your gear...
Many Best Regards,
LastHamlet

I thought the star indicated "no pets."

ChiefTex
power poster
power poster

Postby ChiefTex » Wed Oct 13, 9:20 am

We had planned to stick around for a steak Wilma and Albert’s

-

ahh man you missed out. I ate there on st patty's day 2 years ago then went to an irish pub lol . could not have been better.

wilma and alberts is a must

londonmod
power poster
power poster

Postby londonmod » Wed Oct 13, 10:33 am

Great trip report my friend.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”