May 02nd - A "Fresh" Day 5 - The Report

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

lctricity
super power poster
super power poster

May 02nd - A "Fresh" Day 5 - The Report

Postby lctricity » Thu May 20, 5:18 am

Sunday is Here… Made it through the surreal experience of yesterday (cue Beatles music here). Now broke as I have over exceeded my allotted daily budget by a lot. I need to chill on spending today but I’ve got a nice stash to make it happen. Had to blow off the 8pm meet at Amnesia last night, but I’ll bet no one else made it anyhow. Not the coolest attitude to have but “You gotta do, What you gotta do, When you gotta do it.” Not hip on anymore psychedelics for quite some time. Whew….

Got showered hit breakfast and am sitting here tokin’ on a big bowl of Grey Haze with some Grey Mist Crystals, mmmm what a way to start the day. Feeling high as a kite and truly appreciating the Grey Area from the comforts of my 2nd floor, French door, balcony view of a beautiful backyard, courtesy of Hotel Abba.

A tip that I’d like to share with everyone at this point is to leave your moist and unrollable weed out overnight to dry/cure a little more. Better yet, carefully de-stem your buds as well. The next day? Whua-La! More enjoyable product! Weighs less than what you paid for but sure smokes better. It is unfortunately true that a lot of weed in A’dam does not stay lit in joints because it’s either improperly cured, dried or blah,blah,blah…..

Anyway, 9:30am - Out the door and off for a more productive day of fun in this great city. I make my way down 3 flights of stairs to the streets below and start walkin’ towards Leidseplein from the North end of Overtoom – No problems, OK. I quickly notice that it is indeed Sunday and just about “everything” is closed, including Easy Internet Café which I was hoping to use for a quick Mothers Day greeting back home. Oh well, onto better things. Hop the #1 Tram towards Centraal and hop off just past Magna Plaza behind the Royal Palace. Vets will know that there is a small street in this vicinity that leads to the Singel, Grey Area, Gypsy Nirvana - Seeds Direct and Amnesia. Gotta love it.

Make my way to Grey Area but alas it is Noon and no one is around. I happen upon a typical long hair back-packer type guy cupping his eyes through the window of a closed Grey Area and say “What a drag huh? I know a great place around the corner” (I’ve always wanted to use this line but never found the opportunity!), referring to Amnesia of course. Charlie is in his late 20’s early 30’s and is passing through after a 6 month stay in Africa, where he reports the weed to be plentiful, cheap and amazing! We arrive at Amnesia to find an accommodating but busy bartender/dealer. Being my second time in the place I am still overwhelmed by the size, quality and gear of this place and introduce my new found friend to the extensive menu after purchasing more of my beloved Amnesia Haze – too beautiful to pass up. We proceed to grab our two bar stools closest to the dealers counter and I ask if Charlie is familiar with Vapo’s, which he is not, so I proceed to initiate him to the methods and techniques as if I’ve been doing this forever, yet it was less than 3 days ago when I was tought. What a fun job! He breaks out some sweet Laughing Buddah from Barney’s and rolls a beautiful joint that has a filter but is the same width the whole way down the doob, unlike a Dutch Doob that is huge at the end.

Anyway, we are baked and after a half an hour or so we part ways as I head back down to Grey Area only to find them still closed. Being a member of Overgrow.com I am well aware of Gypsy Nirvana - Direct Seeds and their locale directly across the bridge from Grey Area. The beautiful thing about this place is not only the quality of their seeds and products, but the fact that this is the home of International Cannagraphic Magazine.

http://www.icmag.com/sections.php?op=vi ... le&artid=3

If you’ve not seen this magazine do yourself a favor and check it out. It includes a DVD of some amazing footage that will leave your mouth watering… But back to the report. Another bonus of my visit to this shop was the fact that I’m a member of Overgrow.com and in being so am entitled to “free” bong hits, along with some stellar service judging by what I was to soon experience. Making my way to the front of the store I snap a few pics from a vantage point to frame the front facade and then to the front door to make sure they’re open. Whoo- Hoo!!! They are. After pulling on the door handle to no avail I notice an alternate entrance to my right and opt for trying that, for which I am rewarded. Before entering I am treated to a horse drawn carriage moving past right in front of me so I snap a pic of this too.

Once inside, sure enough, I mention Overgrow.com and am handed a “Guestbook” and welcomed with open arms. What a f’n store people? This is what service is all about. “Teflon” and I have the place to ourselves and he proceeds to break out the bong and offers me 5 or 6 choices of herb that he has in Zip-Loc baggies from behind the counter. I settle on “Sharks Breath” a cross between Jamaican Lambs Breath and Great White Shark! Mmmmm,hhhhmmmhhmhmhmhmm. (snickering slighly) Yummy! You won’t find this in too many of the local shops. Teflon breaks out the newest issue of the magazine for which he is Editor In Chief, I might add, and explains of the various travels to locales covered in the magazine. These guys went to Jamaica with the Bubble man from BubbleBag fame and showed the Rastamen how to make hash from their trimmings. To hear him tell this story of the Jamaican growers amazement that this could be done was inspiring. Another article detailed the Moroccan method of making hash and no sooner could I begin to comment and my American transplanted acquaintance whipped out “the real deal”, a nice chunk of fresh gooey light moroc, straight from the source. After a “You won’t find this in any of the Coffeeshops” he shows me how the finest hash will actually bubble when hit with flame, as he smudges a big chunk of the edge off with a finger nail and lights it. Sure enough, bubbley goodness. Now for an oh so savory hit through the daintiest little hand blown glass hash pipe. Talk about heaven in a hit! Nothing compared to this one hit of true Moroccan in taste or high, not even the Ice-O-Lator. Hands Down! Expressing my extreme gratitiude I made my way knowing that if I stayed longer I would run the risk of “over-staying” my welcome. Highest recommendations for this shop, it’s products and the magazine!

Stumbling out of Seeds Direct I’m in a very Nirvana-like state and decide since I’m having so much luck with hashish, what better time than now to make a trip to the Bushdocter. It’s only 1:30pm so I can take my time and enjoy the stroll. Stopping along the way for some Vlammse Frijtes with Mayo. The taste? Like nice home fries with mayo. Not something I’d do all the time but when in Rome, right? Not disgusting by any means. Make it to the infamous Bushdocter and am diggin’ the vibe of Rembrandtplein as street musicians abound along with sidewalk art vendors. Nice part of town! Grab a tea and a chair to start as it’s pretty busy. Happened upon an American guy in his forties with kind of a David Carradine vibe from San Francisco, can’t remember his name though. Anyway, this dude had just bought a chunk of Black Bombay blacj hash the size of an egg, literally!! Pictures of proof to follow. He was looking for a poker for his pipe and I just happened to have one in my bag o’ goodies, so we struck up a conversation as he set to getting me baked off my ass. Far too baked for 3pm in the afternoon (or is there such a thing?) By the time our session was done I didn’t want to see Black Hash for the rest of the trip, that’s how much we consumed in that hour that followed. What a great first experience for the Bushdocter and I hadn’t made purchase one. The day is young and I need to walk some of this off so back towards Muntplein I head.

Make it down to the beautiful, but heavily criticized Dutch Flowers. As I sit and ponder whether or not to subject myself to the abuse I realize, “What the hell do I have to lose?” Silver Pearl was calling my name so I went in as politely and “kiss ass” as possible and took my purchase and ran after getting the “Here’s your weed, now GO!” treatment from the female dealer. What the “f” ever. The weed wasn’t all that either, but I’ve had worse. Upon inspection through a microscope it looked as if the buds I had had been shaken with few trichomes heads intact.

Walk out the door and into a Bakery Window to die for, but remember? It’s Sunday and they’re closed. (cue the Price Is Right losing sound here) All is not lost as I spot De Tweede Kamer no less than two or three doors down the small street to my right. Busy as ever for as small of a place as it is. I grabbed a seat at the bar and gazed at their extensive menu for a good five minutes before settling on some Kali Mist which I had yet to try if memory served at this point (likely not though). Good stuff but no menu pics as the dude was trying to get me to buy one. No thanks, but thanks just the same. Smoked my gram and chalked it up to “been there done that.” Same beautiful menu as Dampkring though. Talk about a tough decision!

Back down to Leidseplein for a bite to eat and for my virgin Dolphins experience. What a shop! I did not and normally would not hang in a Café or non-wiet establishment, but Dolphins was my exception and it did not go unappreciated by one of the most incredible guys I met while in A’Dam, Radwan. Pulling up a stool at the bar I order a beer and proceed to break out my stash and commence to rolling and then offering to my bar mates. I offer to the first guy to my left who happens to be Radwan, one of the owners of Dolphins, who had just recently lost their CS license in a debatable breaking of the rules in reference to quantity on hand. Anyway, Radwan passes on my offer but we start talking and in a round about way I realize who I’m talking to. He hands me a nice gram and a half bud of some Royal Dolphin and says enjoy this before showing me how to operate the vaporizers they have lined up for customer use. After my Royal Dolphin was sufficiently vaporized I said my goodbyes and headed for the final “must-do” of the day – Greenhouse Namaste!

I can’t remember how the hell I got there but made it to Greenhouse Namaste in Waterlooplein. Checked it out and was pleased with what I saw so went around the corner to an ATM and strolled by the nearby Pollinator Co., who were closed, on my way back. Mmmmmm, Pollinator Ice Hash! Guess I’ll have to save that for another day, but soon! Anyhow, make it back to GH Namaste and am impressed with the Super Silver Haze to the point of buying a gram and seat, after making it through the turnstill?!! What the hell? Nice, nice smoke here. Very comparable to the fine hazes from Dampkring and others, yet something uniquely it’s own. Checked out the tripped out bathroom and partied it up with an older musician type from Germany, which I found I had a lot in common with on a musical level. Cool chat and still amazes me how many European are not only fluent in English but “Super-Friendly”. Spoke of the music scene in Europe as compared to America and his travels to America and beyond. Cool guy, but yet again I have no name written down.

Well folks, that’s where my notes end for this day. Can’t recall what happened after Greenhouse Namaste but looking back over the day to that point it’s little wonder why. Another kick ass day in the Dam and not too bad on the "saving cash" goal for the day!

Here are a few pics I figured I'd go ahead and post to Yahoo! even though they kill the resolution. It's easy and free. Check 'em out! Wiet pics to come soon on a real server. Look in the folder "Amsterdam 2004"

http://photos.yahoo.com/riversideproductions

More reports coming soon....

capecodguy
power poster
power poster

great reports

Postby capecodguy » Thu May 20, 4:21 pm

lctricity
thanks for the great reports sounds like your having fun in your travels. I like that you have centered your story around coffeeshops experiences and the people you meet there. Have fun and keep the storys coming
CCG

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Another Grand One.

Postby LastHamlet » Thu May 20, 6:32 pm

Yet another wonderful report lctricity.
Even though it was a 'Go Easy on Cash day' you had a load of wonderful events happen. Okay, most are Coffeeshop encounters, but those are the lasting ones, so to speak.
I really enjoyed the read, Thanks for posting such a wonderful set of reports. I can't wait to read more.
LH.

BTW, It seems the construction behind the ABBA must be completed, seeing how you wrote seeing a back yard. Last April it was a bit torn up in the back, and kabooming started early in the morning. I was currently on the third floor and facing the street, so I was not bothered with it. However, some people had to check out, as the noise was too much for them.
Anyhow, glad the work is done, it really was a cool palce last April.
Last edited by LastHamlet on Fri May 21, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lctricity
super power poster
super power poster

Re: Another Grand One.

Postby lctricity » Fri May 21, 2:04 am

LastHamlet wrote:BTW, It seems the construction behind the ABBA must be completed, seeing how you wrote seeing a back yard. Last April it was a bit torn up in the back, and kabooming started early in the morning. I was currently on the third floor and facing the street, so I was not bothered with it. However, some people had to check out, as the noise was too much for them.

Glad you guys are diggin' the reports!!

In reference to construction at Hotel Abba...

There actually is still construction going on. This time it is directly below the first floor on the ground level. Looks much nicer than previously but I would say they have at least 6 months to go. Nothing started up until 8am though and I was always up by then so no hassle for me.

One thing I will say having been able to see my buddy Bens' room which was on the 3rd floor street side is that the windows are quite small in comparison to the floor to ceiling french doors and balcony available on the opposite side of the building.

Either way, Hotel Abba is a great deal and well worth seeking out if you are on a budget!

Rock On!

Mike
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Mike » Fri May 21, 3:13 pm

Another great report....enjoyed it alot

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”