Trip Report April'04 Part I; Keukenhof photos

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

DrTak
super power poster
super power poster

Trip Report April'04 Part I; Keukenhof photos

Postby DrTak » Fri May 14, 5:19 pm

Okay, I’ve been back for three weeks. My head is above water with my work, my garden is weeded, and the bills are paid. Time to make good on my promise of a trip report before the details fade.

First of all, let me state that our week was simply great. The weather cooperated 6 out of 7 days, and it was one of those vacations where you relax enough that you don’t care if things don’t go exactly as planned.

We had rented the Canalwatch apartment, and decided to go with the taxi service key pickup option. No problem with the pickup, except that even though the fare was paid in advance, it had to be paid again, with instructions to get a refund from Canalwatch for the fare previously paid. Seems not very customer friendly to me, like I just loaned somebody cab fare for a month. Oh well.

The apartment was nice. A bit off the beaten path, but nice. The building was very very noisy, and there were a few things like a dishwasher full of dirty dishes with a tripped circuit breaker, a missing clothes iron, a few holes in the walls, two threadbare towels as the sole linens, and a foam mattress that was about 3 inches thick in the master bedroom among them. But I am not much of a whiner, and like I said, the apartment was generally nice.

Most unusual was the second morning when we were there. At around 11 AM the doorbell rings. There is a blue collar looking dude at the door. The fellow says he is a “building inspector”. I ask for an ID, he hands me one, but because I do not read Dutch it could be a prison pass for all I know. He says that because the apartment is being rented to tourists, there is a safety problem. He needs to know how many are staying in the apartment, where we are from, and when we will be leaving. Harmless enough, it seems. Happy with my answers, he is on his way, never to be seen again. Anybody know what the f*** this was about??

Back to day one, we arrived on a day when the weather must have neared 80 F. It was simply beautiful. We walked to Homegrown Fantasy, just amazed at the numbers of people out on this beautiful Saturday afternoon. I found the Shiva to be very dry, and only slightly tasty. A brief walk to DeKuil found them to be absolutely empty. Too dark and indoors for such a great day! Nevertheless, we found the blueberry to also be slightly overdried, but very tasty and fragrant. My spouse tried the vapo bag, and I kept her from overdoing it and taking a header as I did on my last trip.

Anyway, in the evening we went to my favorite Polish/Russian restaurant, Polonia and had the Russian Polish 5 course meal. (One person gets Russian dishes, the other Polish ones). A few Zubrowkas (Polish vodkas) later we returned to our flat and slept the exhausted sleep of the jet lagged, stoned, drunk and stuffed.

Sunday we awoke to leaden skies and a chill breeze. A walk to the Internet café gave me my e-mail. The internet weather said the day would be partly cloudy, with rain the rest of the week. I knew it would be wrong, but little did I realize how wrong. Sunday would be our only foul weather day. Oblivious to this, we decided to take in the Keukenhof before the weather turned. We popped into Chocolata first. I got three bon bons for the journey. Unfortunately, one got lost somewhere, so I guess the other two were pretty good. The Chocomist was the best weed I had bought so far. Sweet, slightly chocolatey, high, not stoney.

Train to Leiden, Bus #54 to Keukenhof, all as I remember. Keukenhof is surely at its peak in late April! I cannot imagine it any more spectacular. Anyone who is interested can check out a few photos we took at:

http://photos.yahoo.com/drxtz

After only a couple of hours, it seemed the weather was turning. We headed back to the bus stop, but probably 30 minutes too late. We found a long line, and soon were pelted with a swirling cold rain.

I’ll post the rest of my trip report in another installment or two, including Boom Chicago, Paradies Boat tour, Melkweg, ICE train to Koln, and with special thanks to Redhoho, our little introduction to Rei-ki.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri May 14, 6:55 pm

Rice report and very nice potos. Where is "a bit out of the way" and what kind of camera/lens did you use. I will be returning to Het Kuekenhof for my third visit next year. (Hard to take a bad photo there, huh?)
Pax

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Very Nice Indeed.

Postby LastHamlet » Fri May 14, 8:15 pm

Very Nice Dr.Tak. You said you were gonna write a good report, and by golly, you are off to a wonderful start.
Thanks for the Pictures, and the memories.
Can't wait to read more of your adventures. A no caring where you head to each day kinda trip, how wonderful indeed.
Best Regards,
LH

DrTak
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DrTak » Sat May 15, 6:55 pm

Thanks for the responses. Bo – I have a Minolta Dimage 5 Megapixel camera. It has a macro setting that I used for the close up flower shots. By “out of the way” the apartment was at 35 Rapenburg or something. If you find it on the map, you can see that there about three ways to get to shopping, dining, trams, etc. All involve a three block walk or so through a pretty nondescript area. It gets a little old, but it wasn’t bad, especially when the weather was nice. I suppose I can post photos of the apartment if there is any interest.

Mike
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Mike » Sat May 15, 9:16 pm

Great report

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”