Trip Report Part One

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Amsterdamaged
just in
just in

Trip Report Part One

Postby Amsterdamaged » Wed May 05, 3:07 pm

March 18th to April 1st Amsterdam Trip Report

Preface
I consider myself to be quite a seasoned Amsterdam and the Netherlands traveler as I have lived in the Netherlands for two years at different points in my life. For the first time my family and I lived in Ternuzen, a city in the south of the Netherlands. I was around ten years old around then. The second time was in 1997-1998 and I live and worked in a city in the south of the Netherlands called Bergen op Zoom. This was where I went to my first coffeeshop and consider the year I spent there as the best year of my life so far. I have travelled back to the Netherlands and specifically Bergen op Zoom four times since the time I left in 1998. I love the Netherlands and wanted to share my love of it with you in this forum. I am not a writer so no comments like, he forgot a comma or my sentence structure is bad. I already know this.

Day One
Coming from Toronto, day one is always two days sort of fused into one because of the time difference. I got very little sleep during the days leading up to this trip so the first few days were very rough. Caught the 6:40PM flight from Toronto to Amsterdam. The pilot told us that the trip would only take six hours and fifteen minutes so I will sitting in a coffeeshop an hour earlier then expected, Bonus!
Arrived around 6:40AM picked up my bag and headed to the train ticket counter outside the terminal at schiphol. Twenty minutes later I was walking out of the Centraal Station into the craziness that everyone that visits Amsterdam experiences upon first arrival. I told my hotel that I would be coming in early so I checked in and dropped off my bag and was told to come back around noon. I stayed at the Hotel Groenendahl at Niewendijk 15, which is a budget hotel where you get a single with ensuite facilities for 33 Euro a night. The people that run the place are friendly and actually encourage joint smoking.

It was pretty early so my coffeeshop options were not huge so I decided to head to Barney’s. The place was packed so I bought a gram of Morning Glory for 11.50 Euro, skinned up a joint and left. I must say 11.50 for a gram is very expensive compared to other parts of the Netherlands and the weed is just as good if not better. I then stopped off at the Double Reggae Coffeeshop to have a much needed coffee and smoke the first joint of the trip.

I was really tired at that point and needed to keep moving before I collapsed so I moved on to the first coffeeshop I ever went to, The Coin on Warmorstraat. I bought a gram of nice Moroccan Hash called Shara for 11.50 and proceeded to smoke a nice hash joint with some more coffee. The Coin brings back a lot of memories for me so I zoned out for a few hours and eventually moved on. I did a little tour of the RLD to refamiliarize myself with the area. I then headed to Freeworld Coffeeshop and bought 1.7 grams of White Widow for 11.50 Euro. I sent off some e-mail to the family and friends just to make them jealous of where I was. It was about noon so I headed to the Grey Area to pick up some of the famous Crystals and Greyberry. I fell in love with the crystals and considered that to be the best smoke of the trip.

With all of my new purchases in hand I decided that I must eat something or the ground would be feeling my body in a few moments. I have seen a few people do the old pass out routine in Amsterdam before and the I believe the trick is to keep your energy up and watch the heavy smoke right off the plane.
I really like going to La Grotte on Haarlemstraat and it is near my hotel so I decided to pop in. I rolled up some joints and ordered a couple tostis and took in the city waking up. There is nothing like sitting in a normal restaurant type place and sparking up a joint on insane Netherlands weed and hash. The tostis hit the spot and I decided to move on. This was when I was reminded of the classic Dutch service; I must of been sitting there for 20 minutes making subtle eye contact that I wanted to pay with absolutely no response. I really didn't care just smoked another joint with the grey mist crystals. After that I decided to check out the Singel RLD since I had never been there. I decided I could not longer fight the tiredness and retired to my hotel for some rest and a sample of my purchases, not exactly in that order. When I awoke from a very restful sleep it was already dark out so I did the three S ritual and headed out on the town. To be quite honest I think the RLD is the most exciting part of AMS at night so I headed that way. I had never been to De Kuil before so I stopped by there on my way. Had a couple coffees and bought and smoked a gram of Laughing Buddah for 11.50 Euro.

I then did a prowl of the RLD. I always pre roll some joints and just stroll for a few hours, check out the ladies and see if anything interests me. It was Friday so the canals and alleyways were packed with crazy drunk bastards. I love it! I then headed to the Siberia Coffeeshop for this first time. I like this coffeeshop, it was very quiet and the smoke was great! I bought two grams of AK-47 for 6.50 Euros a gram. I sat in the coffeeshop for about an hour smoking away and talking to some tourists from the UK. I

I then headed to Mc D’s for a bite to eat before retiring for the evening.

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Wed May 05, 3:49 pm

What a good read - Thanks I really enjoyed it..

...Boner...

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

AMS Fix

Postby BlueBerry » Wed May 05, 3:59 pm

More, More, More!!!

Of those Crystals that is...

HeHeHe ;)

BlueBerry

jerkypete49
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby jerkypete49 » Thu May 06, 5:49 pm

Very nice, Blueberry. I'm still recovering from jet-lag.
BTW, until this post, for some reason, I thought you were a chick.:D

O'Spencers
power poster
power poster

Postby O'Spencers » Thu May 06, 8:41 pm

Nice report. Looking forward to the next chapter....

Blueberry is a chick, by the way (as am I - unless Hubby is posting). Not too many ladies on this board....

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Fri May 07, 8:50 am

Sounds like a lot of fun, thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed it.

viking
super power poster
super power poster

Postby viking » Sat May 08, 4:06 pm

Nice report, Amsterdamaged. Waiting for more!

Amsterdamaged wrote:This was when I was reminded of the classic Dutch service; I must of been sitting there for 20 minutes making subtle eye contact that I wanted to pay with absolutely no response.

Ha! This reminded me about my trip to the caves at Maastricht where
I had a nice lunch in a hotel restaurant next to the caves' entrance.
I had a long walk back to town ahead of me and had to get going
in order to catch the train back to Amsterdam. After "making eye contact"
for about 20 minutes, I finally had to get up and call the owner out of the
kitchen. I sure got the "ugly American" look from her, but I really did
have to get going!

brandx

Postby brandx » Sat May 08, 4:26 pm

X
Last edited by brandx on Thu Oct 04, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

octuvidian
power poster
power poster

Postby octuvidian » Sun May 09, 1:49 am

Geez X,

I'm a pacifist by nature, but people like that waitperson really need payback...like a fake turd dropped in their soup or somethin'

Mike
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Mike » Sun May 09, 1:29 pm

Sounds as though your having a great time....keep it up.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Fri May 14, 8:56 pm

Really good writing Amsterdamaged, so glad you shared you viewpoints. Simply grand indeed. I especially like it when some one ends up in the Siberie Coffeeshop,,, which is pronounced like you spelled it "Siberia"
Dam, I miss being in there and the hot chocolate with whipped cream and sprinkles are to die for.
It is really hard to not like Siberie.
Thanks for th report Amsterdamaged, I really enjoyed it,,,,, even the bad service part. Hell, I enjoy all the things about AMS.
Best Regards,
LH

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Re: Trip Report Part One

Postby BlueBerry » Fri May 14, 9:55 pm

Amsterdamaged wrote:I really like going to La Grotte on Haarlemstraat and it is near my hotel so I decided to pop in. I rolled up some joints and ordered a couple tostis and took in the city waking up. There is nothing like sitting in a normal restaurant type place and sparking up a joint on insane Netherlands weed and hash.

I agree the La Grotte is a real nice, clean, and spacious coffeeshop with very good breakfast,,, And the Best part is being able to spark up some nice nugs for dessert ;)

BlueBerry

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”