Discoveries on my latest trip (or Myths - true and not true)

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Discoveries on my latest trip (or Myths - true and not true)

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Wed Apr 14, 10:15 pm

I was able to assess the following five myths that have cropped up on the board during the last year or so.

1. There is a lot of Anti-American hatred out there.

My opinion: FALSE

Saw none of this, but I also realized that many people have confused anti-American hatred with criticsm of Bush and that way of thinking is totally antithetical to the Dutch way of thinking. I came to this realization because on three occasions (after a few cocktails and feeling a bit political,) I made some rather vociferous critcisms of Prime Minister Balkenende (sp?) to different Dutch people, and no one took this to be Anti-Dutch, in fact all three agreed with me on most points. And although I think the guys a dick I still love The Netherlands and it's people. So it is possible for someone to hate Bush but love America and it's people.
(This does not include the street people who will yell at you for anything and just happen to pick up on the American thing...though I didn't see that either.)

2 Looking American makes you a much greater target for panhandlers.

My opinon: TRUE

There was this one panhandler who stood at a corner near my apartment and never aked me for money but hit up plenty of others. On my second to last day I bought this hat at the Waterlooplein flea market (see hippie Dave's pics) which I didn't notice at the time, but makes me look like a wanna-be cowboy (I liked it because it reminded me of the kind of hats Hasidic Jews wear, but that's bedside the point.) Anyway, I walk by the same panhandler, but now i've got the hat on and he starts talking to me in English and I know he's gonna hit me up for money (I gave him some...) I never got asked for money (except for one guy who asked me in Dutch first) unless I was wearing that hat and I do have to admit, it does look very American cowboyish on me...so my conclusion, is expect to be hit up by every panhandler if you have an item of clotheing that screams AMERICAN (which of course is ironic, because I bought the thing in Amsterdam...)

3. The weed in the tupperware tubs is 'fresher' than the weed in pre-packaged bags.

My opinion: DEFINITELY FALSE

I do agree with the folks like patrick who say there is a level of satisfaction in finding a nice looking bud, though I don't agree his contention that it's half the fun ( I don't think if he picked out a beautiful bud and then wasn't allowed to smoke it, he'd go away thinking 'well at least half of the experience was great', though patrick surprises me on many issues and he may actually get as much enjoyment out of picking buds from a tupperware as smoking them...I prefer smoking them.) Nevertheless the myth of 'freshness' was totally dispelled as I watched the guy from De Kuil emptying plastic ziploc bags of weed (about and ounce) into the tub of Blueberry when it ran out (Mr. and Mrs. Charlie and StoneyUSADude were all at my table as we watched this, so I have confirmation.) In other words it all comes pre packaged in bags, it's just whether you watch the process of them emptying the big bags into the tupperware and the putting them in the little bags, or whether they do that behind closed doors.

4. Despite the new laws, there is dog shit everywhere.

My opinion: TRUE (unfortunately)

This has not improved but it took New York about 5 years for their 'clean up after your dog' laws to start having real effect and now 15 years later there are probably less dog turds in the whole of Manhattan than on the average street in Amsterdam. So, ladies who like open toed shoes and men who wear sandals beware, but there is hope.

5: The chanellites do not know how to party.

My opinion: DEFINITELY FALSE

nuff said!

patrick

Postby patrick » Wed Apr 14, 10:37 pm

excellent post, one of the best ones, glad you had a good time and hope to see you april 2005, if not sooner.

seouleast
super power poster
super power poster

Postby seouleast » Thu Apr 15, 2:05 am

How to stop panhandlers in their tracks: pretend you are speaking another language.

My hotel was a block into the entrance to Vondelpark and I used it cause it was very nice. Anyways, a panhandler asked and I replied in Korean. He stopped dead in his tracks, turned, and walked away! I started laughing as I headed out to meet everyone for another day........

Nice report there cowboy. I think that I mentioned something about your attire in my report. Kinda like a Jewish pimp/cowboy! ;-)

Peace-
seouleast

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Thu Apr 15, 3:14 pm

seouleast wrote:How to stop panhandlers in their tracks: pretend you are speaking another language.
Peace-
seouleast

Now you might be able to pull that one off, Seoul, but if I pretended to speak Korean, it would probably come out as bad as my Dutch!

Progress

Postby Progress » Thu Apr 15, 3:43 pm

you should just bring a broken down hat and ask them for change when they ask you...of course i dont know what kind of reaction it will get. maybe not a good idea, but funny nonetheless

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Thu Apr 15, 3:47 pm

Excellent observations LTD!

viking
super power poster
super power poster

Postby viking » Thu Apr 15, 4:30 pm

Hi LTD, nice observations.

I enjoyed meeting you and wish we could have
hung out more.

Seouleast is right about responding in a language
other than English. Even my broken Norwegian comes
in handy for that. Also, I remember reading someone's
trip report last summer where they told how their wife
gave a load of loose change to a pesky panhandler
(the kind that follow you around). As they walked away
the panhandler started cursing at them. Seems she had
slipped him a bunch of US coins without thinking about
them being useless to him:) Now there's an idea to try
next trip!

Old Hippie Dave
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Old Hippie Dave » Thu Apr 15, 5:37 pm

Stoney had a good idea say Nyet and the'll think your russan

OHD

seouleast
super power poster
super power poster

Postby seouleast » Fri Apr 16, 5:07 am

Just don't say anything and walk away.....as you do, drop a bunch of them 1cent pieces and they WON'T follow you. Too busy picking up them coins.

I think I will bring a bunch of the 10won coins and hand them out. If they cuss, then tell them that it is a souvenir that you'd like them to have.

You don't have to know another language. I am sure that a made up language will do just fine!
Start rambling and they will turn their heads like a curious dog, then leave.

Peace-
seouleast

smal1957
participating
participating

Postby smal1957 » Fri Apr 16, 8:14 am

"2 Looking American makes you a much greater target for panhandlers."

So true this is! My experience taught me to dress all black while in the Netherlands. You will fit in and wont get hassled nearly as much. Actually I got stoped and questioned in dutch by little old ladies more than panhandlers while dressed in black.

seouleast
super power poster
super power poster

Postby seouleast » Sat Apr 17, 1:28 am

Uh Oh! The men in black!

What were your replies to them little 'ol ladies?

Peace-
seouleast

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby dannymac » Sat Apr 17, 2:13 am

viking wrote:......Also, I remember reading someone's trip report last summer where they told how their wife gave a load of loose change to a pesky panhandler. As they walked away the panhandler started cursing at them. Seems she had slipped him a bunch of US coins without thinking about them being useless to him:) Now there's an idea to try next trip!
I was just going to mention that story. LOL
It was my wife who pulled this off. He started following us as he was cursing. Although I didn't feel threatened (hell, I thought it was funny - the wife didn't), another person might have - which may be a reason not to try this stunt.
;-)

Mike
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Mike » Sat Apr 17, 4:41 am

Good report.....I am going to try the American coin thing ....sounds funny.

Dignan
power poster
power poster

Postby Dignan » Sat Apr 17, 5:36 am

i've never seen an argument about the 'freshness'.

the dealer emptying smaller bags into the tupperware has nothing to do with anything. If you knew how the shops get the weed (which is illegal) you'd know the process.

It has nothing to do with being pre-packaged or not.... Personally, I stayed away from the places with pre-packaged bud.... not intimate enough for me, I like getting my bud weighed in front of me and getting to pick a bud..... Especially at Dampkring and the higher quality shops, they don't just sell grams, pick a bud and take it.... You can also just say give me 10 euro worth, no need for grams. This is a good tip for the more expensive shit.... grab 10 euro worth of that 40euro/gram shit and take a couple puffs.

jerkypete49
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby jerkypete49 » Thu May 06, 6:02 pm

The idea of talking to the panhandlers in another language cracked me up but is a GREAT idea. :D

Next time, I will use my rudimentary Polish on them. I know half of the Polish National Anthem.

Jeszce Polska Jezgniewa Puki me Przemie.

THAT should fix them, heh heh. :D

seouleast
super power poster
super power poster

Postby seouleast » Fri May 07, 5:28 am

Seriously, just start rambling in a made up language. They won't know the difference. It'll be a good laugh. You can laugh while you are doing this, too. They won't have a clue!

Peace-
seouleast

dapoopa
power poster
power poster

Postby dapoopa » Fri May 07, 9:28 am

Old Hippy Dave wrote "Stoney had a good idea say Nyet and the'll think your Russian"

That is exactly what I would do -- then I'd give him a few more choice words по русский in case he didn't get the message

До свидания

Channelite and Muscovite,

dapoopa

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”