Day 2 - 2/29

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

thaioneon
regular
regular

Day 2 - 2/29

Postby thaioneon » Sat Mar 21, 1:18 am

Got a good night's sleep and woke up to a beautiful sunny morning on the canal. My lady was still asleep so I had a yummy nespresso with some slivers of King Hassan added for good measure and turned on the news. As usual, couldn't get any US news channels, only BBC, French news in English, Chinese news in English and Russia Today. We found ourselves watching mostly the Chinese and French stations. Looks like things were still bad in China and getting worse in Italy. Now 2 cases in the Netherlands and a daycare center was getting shut down. Our preparation for all of this consisted of some small pocket sized bottles of hand sanitizer and some alcohol wipes that we would carry around with us. Trying not to think about it too much as it still seemed pretty far away from the city.

Since she was still asleep I decided to venture out and get my first haring sandwich in a year at my favorite fish monger, Rob Wigboldus Vishandel right around the corner. On the brown roll with pickles and onion, Rob always has the best haring and mackerel. Man was it good! Stopped in the Albert Heijn to go on the way back for an oj from their cool machine that squeezes the oranges in some internal conveyor belt gizmo. The KH is kicking in and I feel just fine!

It was around 11 and lady thai was sipping on her coffee and chilling on the couch when I returned. Our daughter and son in law were joining us for the first week and would be arriving soon. The plan for the afternoon included checking out a classical concert at the Noorderkerk at 2 pm. Supposed be a string quartet playing Beethoven for an hour which is about perfect for my attention span for classical music. The kids arrive and D's ready to go but S needs to nap as het got no sleep on their long journey over from the West coast. Really great to see them as we don't get the opportunity but a couple times a year.

So the three of us go on our way and the first stop is a vegan joint on Warmoestraat, Juice by Nature. As I'm not a fan, I just order some oatmeal and Lady Thai gets soup and D gets something with fake something in it. Turns out they don't even cook the damned oatmeal and serve it cold but I'm not
hungry anyways.

Next stop another of our favorite bars, In de Wildeman. Simon greets us with a big smile and hug and the search on the big blackboard next to the bar commences. Okay, a couple of DIPA's from Uiltje in Haarlem for Lady Thai and D and a Jever Pils for me. We have to drink up as the concert is about to begin so we make our way over the canals to Prinsengracht and through the Noordermarket to the church just as the concert begins.

This is a bit weird. Rather theatrical as they have these big moveable panels behind them with pictures that they keep moving and rotating around. Pretty informal with quite a few families and children in attendance. Like I said an hour of this was perfect and we make our way out through the market and walk up the canal to where it intersects with the Brouwersgracht and walk into another favorite bar, one of the oldest in the city, Papeinland.

Its pretty packed but we find a table upstairs and order a round of Ij IPA's which is one of our favorites, especially on tap. And a slice of their famous Apple pie with whipped cream. Yum. So we talk about the concert we just saw and the ladies inform me that it was a children's concert. Really! Man I can be clueless at times as I didn't realize it until then. Meet a real nice Dutch couple from the neighborhood and we compare notes and share our favorite restaurants, bars, etc.

Time to head back to the apartment and see if S has awakened from his nap. D is still going strong and is in full Amsterdam mode. She loves this city as much as we do and this is her 4th trip here with us. S is awake and ready to go so off to the Cotton Club on the Nieuwemarket for their Saturday jazz jam. The place is packed like sardines but we get right up in front and dance to some incredible music. Always amazes me the caliber of jazz musicians in this town as you can tell they are students of the great ones. Sax, guitar, trumpet, and drums, all just amazing players! And the audience totally into in and appreciating every note. Damn its good to be here! And Westmalle Tripels on their beer list don't hurt either.

Now time for dinner and D and S really want the veggie paella at La Paella and we certainly don't mind eating there again so La Paella it is. More grilled calamares for us along with a tapas dish, scrambles eggs with garlic shrimp. All terrific as was the sangria, of course. We all were getting pretty tired so back to the apartment for some much needed sleep.

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Day 2 - 2/29

Postby boneymaroni » Sat Mar 21, 6:45 am

I'm enjoying your trip report, keep it coming.

Play it safe and smart during this COVID-19 outbreak.

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Sat Mar 21, 5:37 pm

Interesting travel log. Thanks
Can people still get haring on the street from vendors? Or do you have to go to the fish shop now?

thaioneon
regular
regular

Postby thaioneon » Sat Mar 21, 5:43 pm

Plenty of fish stands on the street. I just always go to Rob's because its close by where we stay and always top quality.

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Mon Mar 23, 5:55 pm

Thanks for the posts.

Cold Oatmeal.

I feel you buddy.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”