Copenhagen May 2017

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Copenhagen May 2017

Postby bogart » Thu May 25, 5:41 pm

Copenhagen- Day 1

The flight to Copenhagen was smooth as it could be, departing at 7:00 in the morning. The tosser sitting next to me was a frequent flyer and they gave him a free meal as I looked on hungrily. He assured me it wasn’t worth the five euros. At baggage claim I was impressed by how laid back the danes were. When I got my bag and went outside to meet my host it smelled like a chimney, but there were only four Danes smoking. My friend picked me up and we drove to Copenhagen.
My room was large, with a nice couch to sleep on and a small balcony to smoke on. The room was a party room for the co-op and can be rented cheaply. There was a bathroom but no shower, I would have to shower in my friend’s apartment. He had to go back to work but gave me a ride to Christiania, an anarchist enclave in Copenhagen where you can buy hash openly. The hash has a very good reputation, but I was looking for a hearty breakfast first. I was directed to a beautiful café in an abandoned warehouse where I filled out a form for eggs, sausages, bread, and fruit. I sat down across from a guy at a table and innocently asked if the cops there would stop and frisk. He gave me a right hard time for being such a shady bastard and asked if I was a cop. I took a line from Scarface “I’ve never fucked anyone in my whole life!” He gave me a hard time and I apologized and he softened up. He left, and shortly after an old hippy in a hunting jacket with long blonde hair came and sat down. Soon a very intelligent young man of Sweden and West African descent came and talked to us. We talked about politics, my home in Rhode Island, and marijuana. The older hippie was hocking hash at 5$ a gram. The price was right and I can’t get imported hash in the states. My food came and the west African left. They forgot my fruit, so after eating the egg and sausages (they were delicious) I went and asked after the fruit. He said “in a minute.” Which I assumed meant never. I sat down with the old dealer and talked in broken English. The fruit came out and I ate it, it was quite fresh and tasty. Then a bloke came and sat down and started talking about how when the cops came he was so quick they’d never catch him, and how they always caught the Americans. I thought he was being wide, but I later discovered he was being quite instructive. A little bit shaken I took a cab home, and then my mom texted encouraging me to go out and enjoy the city. So I luckily found a bus that went directly to City Hall where a Rick Steves walking tour started. I made tons of mistakes following the tour and eventually just walked down the Stroget to Nyhavn, and walked the beautiful harbor several times. There was a skilled accordionist playing the Italian wedding song from Godfather. It was moving and beautiful and Italian and I nodded and smiled. A woman sold me a nice paper fedora for 100 Kroners. My friend called and I told him about the accordionist. I found a wine cellar that someone said was the oldest building in the area, from 1723 (?) It was called Hviid Vinstue. There was a smoking room and I sat writing for an undetermined amount of time and then caught a taxi home.
Last edited by bogart on Thu May 25, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Re: Copenhagen 2017

Postby bogart » Thu May 25, 5:42 pm

Copenhagen- Day 2
I woke up late. Just in time to go to my friend’s football game. It was chilly out, so my friend convinced me to wear a heavy jacket, which I had wisely brought (the last half a week had been beautiful.) We picked up a black teammate and I had already sussed him to be an excellent player, which proved true.
The game itself was a grand spectacle, both teams had obscene names that I will omit for the sake of discretion. My friend’s team wore pink, and strangely enough not one pro US team wears pink. As I said, the game was really great, the best game I’ve ever seen. It was one of the best parts of my trip. Afterward, we picked up danishes, and I scarfed one down, I was pressed for time to get to the national gallery. I took a cab there from home. I messed up when I got there, I went to the historical floors and and only left 15 minutes on the prehistoric floor. Don’t make the same mistake.
I caught a bus home and picked up burgers for my host and myself. They were delicious burgers, the toppings were very fresh. Then I prepared to go out to a Bluegrass concert my father had found. I took a cab across town to the venue Global Copenhagen. The concert hall was like a steam room, and the band “Foghorn String Band” was excellent. On their encore, I walked outside to have a smoke and got to talking to the opening act. Just then, the string band burst out of the door, their instruments blazing, and played a moonlit number. I got a signed copy of their LP.

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Postby bogart » Thu May 25, 5:43 pm

Copenhagen day 3

I had to wake up early and clean out my room because of some kind of function. I showered and my buddy fixed a flat tire on his wife’s bike and I set off for Rosenborg palace to see the crown jewels. I walked across Rosenborg gardens and bought a ticked and went into the castle. I would say it was more interesting than Schoenbrun palace, not even counting the crown jewels. The problem with Danish museums is that there’s no placards or audio tours, but the incredible clocks and tapestries and such speak for themselves. The Danish monarchy has the common touch, celebrating battles, folk scenes, and things of great beauty. There are soldiers at the main entrance, and they periodically march back and forth. I aroused the ire of one such soldier when I tried to cross behind him. The crown jewels themselves were eye candy to the max, like the far reaches of a comet scattered universe the crowns sparkled and shone like nothing I’ve ever seen.
After leaving Rosenborg I set off on my bike to meet my friend in Christiania, and later go to on a canal tour. My phone was dead, and it was only on a whistle and a prayer that we found each other. I had a nice pressed tuna sandwich at Christiania and we set off for the Nyhavn to catch a boat tour. The water was so beautiful in the sun, and the water sprayed the back of my neck, cooling me. We saw the little mermaid and although I was dying of thirst the colorful Copenhagen sites dazzled me. After the cruise we biked home and my host showed me a nice Iranian kabob place where I got a shoarma. My real reason to get left at the kabob place was to find some shower gel to replace what I’d taken from them.

I went back to my apartment and lounged around in my boxers and paper hat drinking jack daniels and smoking off the balcony. Then I tried to open the balcony door and it wouldn’t open. I tried to open it and then I noticed what looked like a plastic pigeon. I stuck my foot out and the pigeon flew to the rail. I noticed that there was a little nest. I called my friend to help me get my door open, and when I looked back the pigeon had laid an egg in the nest. We had a good laugh about it but could not get the door open past a crack.

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Postby bogart » Thu May 25, 5:44 pm

Copenhagen, day 4
Today I went to Helsinore, site of Hamlet. Its primary purpose was to collect taxes from passing ships. If a ship tried to pass then the castle would open fire. This lasted until the middle of the 19th century when an American ship failed to stop, and the danes realized they didn’t have the cards.
In the center courtyard there was a medieval water fountain with delicious water. In the grand room they told us that when the king made a toast the drummers would drum, cuing bugles, cuing cannons. Shakespeare described this faultlessly in Hamlet, suggesting he had actually seen the castle. The soldiers were rationed 8 pints of beer a day
As far as OUR rations go, we decided to get a smorgasbord at a seaside cottage restaurant. The idea is that you get plates of proteins and stuff and smear it onto hard rye bread. It was delicious and quite filling, with a glass of red wine.
On the way back into town I was dropped off at Tivoli, where I walked around and played a riflery game, using real guns, that I had played 26 years ago. Now I am able to hold the rifle and it’s still as much fun.

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Postby bogart » Thu May 25, 5:45 pm

Christiania- Day 5

Christiania is a self proclaimed autonomous neighborhood with about 850 people living there, to paraphrase Wikipedia. It is located in the city of Copenhagen. Originally it was a squatters villiage, and before that it was a military base. Marijuana can be bought openly there on a street called Pusher street. However, it is not legal and is subject to frequent raids. On Tuesday morning, May 23rd I entered the grounds for the purpose of taking pictures. I knew about the raids, but I felt like they were at arms length because I don’t smoke marijuana.
When I entered with my bike it was about 9:30 and the merchants were closed as were the drug stalls. I figured it would be a good time to take some pictures of Pusher st. I got off one shot before the dealers forced me to stop.
I sat down with a young man rolling a spliff, as everyone is perpetually doing there. We talked for a while and left, and I sat down with a Greenlander, a territory of Denmark. We talked about eating seals and whales.
Then I went and got breakfast at the place I like there, they hooked me up with a greens, eggs, toast and bacon plate, but gave me sausages instead of bacon, a good deal. “we take care of you” they said when they delivered it. I spent some good time talking politics with a scholarly film maker from London. Then we parted ways.

I walked around taking pictures. Sometimes people would tell me not to shoot. For example I wanted to shoot a clothesline, but the inhabitants said no. I sat down and had a beer with some old codgers who were the original founders of Christiania. There was a really cool punk rock fellow with a stuffed animal attached to him with a bungee. He had a black eye, and I could not understand how such a cool guy could have gotten a black eye. I photographed a cat on a roof. I stopped in a bodega and got an apple soda and sat down on the porch across from a black guy-you guessed it- rolling a spliff-.. I was trying to guess what Caribbean nation he was from- He said it started with an N and ended with an E- and I still have no idea because suddenly everybody was screaming and running around!! It was a raid! The mood was like a slaughterhouse when the lambs realized that the blade is for them. I peaked around the corner and saw that the police had blocked off part of Pusher street, and my bike was on Pusher street. There were women screaming and an angry mob forming. The cops were in riot gear. I quietly found a back street to where my bike was, thankfully that part wasn’t blocked off and I triumphantly escaped. A couple of streets down a parade of cop cars and paddy waggons rode by with about 25 Christianiers inside. I felt bad for the brave dealers but lucky to have my freedom on my last day.

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Copenhagen May 2017

Postby Rudy » Thu May 25, 7:24 pm

You`ve got me inventing rude soccer team names now.

Excellent reporting Bogart, thank you.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Thu May 25, 9:36 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post, it was fun to read. Now on to the Amsterdam portion...

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Sat May 27, 4:36 am

Very nice there. A little Bard, a little chase, a little seltzer in your face.

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Mon May 29, 11:12 pm

I remember a big 'no pics' sign in the entrance to Cristiania :)

Did you visit any other places during your trip? I would like to read more of your stories.

Thanks for sharing

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Postby bogart » Tue May 30, 12:49 pm

27guldens wrote:I remember a big 'no pics' sign in the entrance to Cristiania :)

Did you visit any other places during your trip? I would like to read more of your stories.

Thanks for sharing

Nope, just Amsterdam and Copenhagen.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Tue May 30, 9:13 pm

But... Tell us more stories.

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: with his mouth full of teddies, jumbo's urinating seems defiant.

Postby chigusa » Wed May 31, 8:21 am

nice report, sam. I've always enjoyed your writing. do you still paint?

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Postby bogart » Fri Jun 02, 1:29 am

Generous_J wrote:But... Tell us more stories.
Well, I wrote a chronicle of my trip to Barcelona and Vienna a couple years ago, it could be post worthy.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Sun Jun 04, 2:48 pm

bogart wrote:
Generous_J wrote:But... Tell us more stories.
Well, I wrote a chronicle of my trip to Barcelona and Vienna a couple years ago, it could be post worthy.

Make it happen!

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Postby bogart » Sun Jun 04, 8:52 pm

You might wish you hadn't asked for it, I'm typing it up and it's looooooooong.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Sun Jun 25, 4:34 am

Great report...people told me Christiania was "dead". Doesn't sound so dead to me.

nemesystem
super poster
super poster

Postby nemesystem » Sun Jun 25, 4:49 pm

Nice read. Thanks for the report!

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”