Jan 29 - Feb 2

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

ThePhilZone
regular
regular
Location: Preferably south of Centraal Station & north of Stadhouderskade

Jan 29 - Feb 2

Postby ThePhilZone » Wed Feb 04, 2:34 am

Well, an all too short trip has come and gone. Generally speaking, it was a great visit, but I will definitely make my next trip in the Spring or Summer. The $$ savings of a winter trip was nice, but when you are stuck in your room do to torrential freezing rain and sleet/snow, it kind of sucks. But, we wouldn't let the weather get us down...

Wed- Flight was very empty and everyone spread out to claim whole rows of seats for themselves. Unlike anything I have seen! Unfortunately, the intended sleep never set in and I was awake the whole flight. Food=lasagna, movie=Matchstick Men

Thurs- Arrive to drizzle/sleet/snow/wind. Welcome to Holland. Grabbed the train to CS, walked down Damrak to the our hotel, The Grand Kras. A very nice hotel from a lobby perspective. Rooms were not ready at 10am, so bags were checked and a buzz was procured. A few steps down Warmoesraat and we are at Baba. Quite empty with techno music blaring. Any other time, I would be bitching and have turned around, but after a 7 hour flight, terrible weather, and no room to go to yet, I was happy to sit. Minutes later I have acquired a Coke Light, a frothy Cocha for my ladyfriend, and a gram of shimmery White Widow. One bowl later I am zoned to the bone watching the street dealers work the corner in front of Baba from my toasty chair. After I was content and smiley, we figured a quick loop down the OZ would kill some time. Noticed many of the Kamers were empty with "for rent" signs in them. A swing Damstraat puts us right back at the hotel. The room is ready. Upon arrival the room with no view smells of, well, canal I guess. Mildewy, musty, poopy kind of odor. Also, the bellman discovers that the radiator does not work. I guess this is what you get when buying discounted packages on the web. He immediately calls the front desk and demands a new room for us, very cool of him. He walks us down one flight, around a corner into our new room. Now, you know all of those postcards you see of the Palace and National Momument? Those pictures had to have been taken from our room. They bumped us to this killer room with an unbelievable front row view of Dam Square. I noticed the room rate on the back of the door was E400/night! I can tell you I paid no where near that in my package. I tipped the guy a 10 spot for making the switch for us to which he replied "God bless you". After a very needed hot shower, more White Widow was consumed while watching Dutch TV. Collapse occurs. Dead to the world. Awake in the evening for various eating and crawling late into the night. Back to hotel very late (early) and another collapse.

Fri- Well, we were supposed to meet MasterShake at noon at de kuil, but last night's events prevented that from happening. No loss as I read that Shake didn't make it either! These things happen in the Dam. So after shower and sandwiches, we take the tram south to the Museumplein. After a quick stroll down the Albert Cuyp Market, a stop at the Rijks was made for the compulsory viewing of very large paintings. The museum is open in the new "Phillips Wing" to those who thought it was closed. Most of the masterpieces were moved here during the asbestos removal. Very cool place, postcards were purchased. A quick stroll up to Leidseplein finds us stopping off at the Noon. I know this is a very poular place with some Channelites, but I don't see it. It was cramped, cluttered with junk, dirty, and the infamous Blueberry was blah. A quick puff was had and out we went. After making it up to Leidseplein, the weather was really starting to bite. We caught the tram up to the square and warmed up at the hotel. A quick snack and a Heineken warmed me up. We then ventured out for a nighttime stroll of the OZ and found ourselves in the Greenhouse. I liked this place a lot. Not for the atmosphere or crowd. Let me say that I forgot my pipe and cannot roll so I decided to buy my first pre-roll. I asked if the "Pure Mix" was without tobacco and it was indeed Pure Weed. Or pure something, perhaps pure Space Nuggets from Mars? I swear to God that I have never been so high in my life. We shared one joint and smoked half of it, then made our trec back up the other side of the OZ. By the time we got within 60 steps of the hotel, I thought I was having a stroke. No shit, I was uncomfortably numb, like tripping my balls off high. I thought I was having a cardiac infarction or something. We made it to the hotel finally. There was no defibrilator in the lobby, so I opted to smoke the other half of the joint. There, that's better. Bed....

Sat- Rain, rain, more rain. Thank God we had a sweet view to sit by in our hotel room whilst blazing nugs. We killed some time by taking a Rederij canal tour. I always like these and it is a great way to get out of the rain. Dinner was a Rijstaefel followed by some Temple Ball from Paradise. The hasj was nothing special. It was Black and Hard. This was followed by a show at the Casa Rosso. It, too, was Black and Hard. Sorry, I couldn't resist. The show was packed and mildly entertaining. I saw the same couple that Dave Attell interviewed on Comedy Central. They looked throughly bored.

Sun- Enjoyed a monster breakfast at the Winter Garden in the Kras Hotel. Decent grub by Dutch standards, but pricey at E21/pp. Day trip to Haarlem was relaxing. Some light shopping and a stop at Willie Wortel's ended in the purchase of some Californie. Good weed. Again, it was getting cold and windy and I knew it would soon be time to pack. Sun night found me in the Greenhouse again buying some "Stroke Joints" for the evening.

Mon- Decided on a cab to the airport. Arrived in plenty of time for my flight, but not enough time for us to enjoy a last smoke outside. Before going to check in, I tossed all of my stash and pipes in the trash.......so I thought. Upon my final search before boarding (20 minutes before takeoff) Mr Security Guard pats me down to find something hard in my deep pockets. A lump rolls to my throat. It is indeed the huge Temple Ball from Paradise. Long story short, the cops were called, my name written down, and a speech given to "Not do it again in the future". I did not miss my flight and was not rubber gloved, thankfully.

All in all a good trip. Next time I will go when it is warmer and remember to leave the hash in the trash!

ThePhilZone
regular
regular
Location: Preferably south of Centraal Station & north of Stadhouderskade

Postby ThePhilZone » Wed Feb 04, 3:11 am

Forgot to mention...on Sunday we went for Fish & Chips at "Al's Plaice" (yes, that is how they spell it) on Nieuwendyk. A little bit of a haul from Dam Square, but some of the best greasy haddock covered in Vinegar I ever ate.

patrick

Postby patrick » Wed Feb 04, 5:31 am

wow......indeed a good report ....the weather must have sucked but atleast the room upgrade worked out well. temple balls from paridise, that sounds scarey.

hebe
power poster
power poster

trip

Postby hebe » Thu Feb 05, 1:29 pm

very entertaining read.good descriptions esp about your stroke weed. i'd like to follow-up on that personaly. good laughs and sounds like a good trip.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”