the Second Handful of My Amsterdam Days

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: the Second Handful of My Amsterdam Days

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Oct 09, 5:09 pm

thanks guys...

yeah Boney - this dog thing is heart crushingly difficult. never had such a roller coaster with a pet before. I wish that when the time comes for your little guy that it is quick and straight forward. i would not wish this on anyone.

this report is not quite real time - i actually had decided before we left that i would not do a trip report this time. It is really difficult to do real time reports, as I have done in the past, they are a big commitment and with the dog in his condition, I did not want the added pressure on myself this time around. Also, i did not really want to be writing yet another debbie downer difficult experience trip report. I took notes anyway and then found myself wanting to share it. I am not taking time for dramatic effect - my real time life has been just too much to handle and has slowed me down. (we were in Amsterdam in August) I have about two or three more days to post plus i will add a real time update to satisfy curious minds and caring hearts.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Tue Oct 11, 10:50 pm

Tuesday Day 22

Really do not want to open my eyes. This is a day that I do not want to begin. You know the feeling, if you can just keep your eyes closed you can keep reality from ruining that calm safe cocoon of sleep…keep the bad stuff away as long as possible.

The dog wakes up with me and licks my face with a wagging tail.
He’s awake, alive, engaged and enthusiastic, this is a mixed blessing, I am absolutely thrilled the little guy has decided to remain on the planet, but I know that means I will just have to lose all of these tears yet again, someday in the future

So instead of meeting the vet this morning for a trip out of the body, he is going to 137 instead. We share a weird giddiness and a mistrust of any kind of certain reality as we soak in the sun and ambiance of our canal side seats.

We return the dog to the boat, he is ready for a nap, but not in that ‘I think I will die now’ manner, just a normal nap. We grab our bikes and decide to do a last day tour of the city. Wow! THIS is NOT the day we expected to have today!

It’s beautiful! The sun is shining and it is warm, but not too warm, one of those perfect days!

First we hit Paradox for their oj. No, that is not code for some new exotic strain, I am really talking orange juice. They have consistently had the best fresh squeezed oj of every place we have sampled. Amazingly, this seems to be true year after year. Lol, perhaps they are adding sugar when no one is looking!
We are always treated really well and made to feel at home here. After the drinks are finished and our pipes are empty, we know it is time to move on. We share our goodbyes, hugs and wishes for a healthy and safe year.

Off to the Nieuwmarkt to just wander around and take in that gorgeous De Waag. We end up getting a glass of wine and French fries at some tourist restaurant, sitting outside and experiencing what it feels like to momentarily have the weight lifted off of our hearts.

Over to the Dam. My goodness, three weeks and this is the first time I have passed thru this area.
Ride across the Singel and over to Puccini Bomboni to redo our gift buys and grab some take home goodies for us. I adore their chocolate covered candied ginger, the dried mango and chocolate and those chocolate covered candied orange sticks. AND they travel well too. Then skip across the street to Reypenaer Cheese. Have you tasted their goat cheese? It is really the best goat cheese I have ever eaten. It is like nothing I have ever tasted here in the states…..and their aged goudas are amazing with those crystals and caramel overtones. (confession – I have actually ordered these cheeses on occasion when I am really missing Amsterdam. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately Puccini Bomboni does not do mail orders)

Time is moving just too quickly and we will soon have to hand over our bikes, so back to the boat, we meander thru the streets taking as long as possible to reach our destination and unload our precious purchases. The dog is still doing okay.

We open the door to leave again and holy crap, there is Tak ready to knock! Talk about impeccable timing!! Unfortunately we need to leave to get our bikes back before the store closes. Geez time has gone so fast. We never got to spend enough time with him this trip and he was so close, we had great intentions…but we have been a bit distracted.
We hug and say our goodbyes. Hop on the bikes one last time and ride down Prinsengracht over to Bike City. This city is so damn beautiful, it makes me all teary with joy.

Standing in front of Bike City without bikes.. well heck, Paradox is just across the canal, we decide to stop by again. Lol, Willhelm looks at us like wtf – we said goodbye already…we all laugh and hug some more. Amazing to realize that we have seen him grow up!
Snapshots of a life.
We leave him with our absolute final goodbyes for this year and stroll thru the Jordaan. I do so love the flowers and plants that people put in front of their homes and everything today looks just so gezellig.
Wow, we find ourselves passing in front of La Perla and it is fairly empty.
Since we have not thought about food……
and pizza IS the perfect comfort food…
after these past 48 hours, we want comfort food!
Grabbed a table outside and proceeded to enjoy some wine, salad and pizza. A perfect and unexpected last evening meal in Amsterdam!
Nicely buzzed from the alcohol, with full stomachs we had back to the boat for the final task of packing.

But first a final visit from Winnie (wish we were neighbors all the time!)

Packing and cleaning up. It is about 1am and we blow a fuse on the boat. Geez
We do need electricity to complete our packing, so we have to call the owner
(what a drag) He is helpful and talks the mate thru changing a fuse in the locked fuse box
a bit away from the boat on land. After about 45 minutes everything is back in working order, except the dishwasher…I do hope we did not somehow damage it.

We are packed and about to leave Amsterdam. Damn it all just goes too fast!

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Oct 13, 10:16 pm

Wednesday Day 23

Not ready to leave,
Not ready to detach from this lovely city
It’s just never long enough
But we are packed and it is another beautiful day
(we did luck out with just amazing weather)

so you’ll never guess what we did?!

One more time we go to 137 with the dog
When we tell them it is our last day, we get hugs and are told that we are welcome there anytime, all the time!
I wonder if that means that there are people that are not welcomed in their establishment?!

We return to the boat thinking we would smoke the remainder of our stash on the deck of the boat and eat lunch from our leftover foodstuffs. We had arranged with the owner that we would leave at 2pm and that he would meet us then.
We got to the boat close to noon and immediately I spot the owner, the dutch model girlfriend and her little boy all on the street. Wtf!?! They are headed towards the boat. I tell the mate to put the joint out that he had just lit. (These are not pot smoking folks- and there’s a kid!) The owner apologizes and he and his girlfriend talk over each other. It seems he totally fucked up and has a couple arriving at 1pm! He thought they were coming on Thursday – but the girlfriend checked the schedule this morning and noticed the oversight. At least they caught it! So the three of them are there to do a lightening cleanup! (Lucky for them, we treated their boat like our home, so it is in good shape) But forget making lunch or smoking our stash. We sit out on the deck and soak up the sun and stay out of their way.
The new people arrive, a couple of women from florida. The Model gives the new tenants the tour of the boat and amenities.

After a while the model comes out to the deck and sits with us. She looks at me and shakes her head, saying ‘people’. She tells me ‘ya know, I really do not like the people, most of the people are just so closed, plastic and uptight. NOT like you! I really like you and would love to spend more time with you- but those people in there, yuck.’ I was kind of shocked to hear this, (the new tenants were sitting in the living room, not that far away) and really we had at most spent all of 15 to 20 minutes in each others’presence.

It does leave me with the sensation that I do actually seem to fit in, and that Amsterdam suits my temperament, more than most places. Oh well.
The cab is supposed to pick us up at 2pm
But no cab
2:15 still no cab
great
we have been stood up by the cab

the mate hustles himself over to Haarlemmerstraat and immediately grabs a cab and brings him back to the boat and we are off
the dog is doing well, strong alert and he seems happy, geez, this is certainly unexpected.

Arriving at Schiphol there are long lines of cars. Seems to even get near the airport, the cars and occupants are inspected. It is a bit off putting, time consuming and annoying – on the other hand, it makes one feel more secure that the likelihood of a random act of terrorism will be that much more difficult to pull off. You definitely cannot secure a NY airport in this manner. Inside the airport, they have totally changed up how they do security. There seem to be more security hoops to jump thru and it is looking more like American security on steriods there are agents everywhere watching your every move and looking you in the face. They eliminated the gate security check where they ask you individual questions about your trip. It is a massive change up.

The flight was easy. The dog stayed awake and sat on my lap the entire time. He never coughed! Never once did he appear to be a sick dog. No one had to come over and ask if he needed oxygen. They even never said a word about him being on my lap for take off and landing. (That is usually always an issue – they want him secured in his bag and under the seat)– but not this time! Could not have been better, as it seems being in his bag is making him cough more.

Arriving back in the US was nasty. People were rude, shoving and angry….oh yeah, sadly we are home again.

I will add a real time update on my furry friend

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Oct 16, 5:07 pm

Real Time Dog Update

He has been up and down since we have been back. He has greeted his favorite people, run down the hall to see neighbors, played with his doggy friends….all in the style of an elder. After any of these encounters he needs to recover and sleep for a couple of hours, but his spirit is very much evident. His tail wags like a helicopter and his appetite is enormous.

On October 3rd we had an end of life/hospice vet come to meet him at the apartment, just wanted to connect with her for future needs. Well she arrived after he had been outside, so he was lying on his side and resting. She looked at him and thought he should be put to sleep that day! We were gob-smacked. Her reputation is for putting off euthanasia until the very end. He was just resting, not coughing, not in any distress. She wanted us to make a decision. We were definitely not ready to say goodbye that evening and made an appointment for Friday. All week we were teary, trying to figure out if she was right, was it time? It was impossible to work and the tears were shared with our clients who have known him. By Wednesday we were ready to cancel the vet and delay. Then Thursday night was a hard night, we decided she must be right.

On Friday the 7th, I cancelled my patients and we spent the morning with the dog. Took him for a walk and carry around the neighborhood to all of his favorite places and to say goodbye to his neighbors and doggy friends. Lots of tears it was sweetly, heart breakingly sad. But he was calm and happy. Brought him back to the apartment and we were so torn. On many levels he seemed strong and very much alive. We spent an hour, chanting, praying and crying over him. He was relaxed and pretty much out of it. The vet arrived and we talked about the process - how he would first get a tranquilizer shot and then the final medicine drip. She said that after the tranquilizer we could have a bit more time with him.

Okay.

Tears were dripping down our cheeks. She held the dog to give him the tranquilizer.

WOW

Something went wrong. The dog jumped up and shot her a look like I have never seen on his face: It was a wtf did you just do to me, glare! He pulled away with enormous strength.

She conceded that she did not get enough medicine into him. So she suggested that we hold him and that she would do it again. We held him. She went for it

The mate says; wow, I think the dog just urinated on me (not so strange if you are giving him a tranquilizer) I felt the wet drip too.

Oh fuck

That is not urine. THAT was the medicine from the shot. The vet had pushed the needle right thru his shoulder and dumped all of the medicine down the side of his coat and on our arms.

At this point the dog is frantic, pissed off, terrorized and fearful. We put him on the floor (cause he really can not be held down!) He runs into a corner and hides his face – a behavior I have never witnessed before. He is totally freaked.

The peace and calm that once filled the apartment is rapidly transforming into absolute chaos.

The vet says to me out of nowhere- “When I was tagging hippos in Africa, all ya had to do, was get that needle in and they would go down”

I stared at her, as I did not have a response…

Then she says, let me take him into the bathroom by myself and and I can take care of this.

Images of my sweet little dog horrified and traumatized, being trapped into a corner and being jabbed by this horror with a needle in her hand was more than I could handle.

NO WAY will I allow my sweet little dog to be popped out of his body filled with terror.

THIS IS OVER! PLEASE GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!

So……
Once again days of mourning, soul searching and goodbyes
And he is still here

He seems to be very happy.

Like I have said before….never has a pet taken me on such an emotional ride
One thing I know. With my last two dogs – it was clear, when they were ready to go, they were ready to go and I had no problem with it. This guy has a physical condition – but he is NOT ready to leave this planet.

I had a long talk with him and told him I would not make any more decisions about his living and dying. The choice is his and not mine. He jumped up and licked me in the eyes, wagged his tail and followed me around. … I think he understands…

The End

For now.
Last edited by worldcitizen1723 on Sun Oct 16, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sun Oct 16, 7:00 pm

You need to report that incompetent cow to the proper authorities right away. Sorry for your pain WC.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Sun Oct 16, 8:24 pm

Thanks for all the trip reports, they were greatly enjoyed and appreciated. Thanks for the update on the little guy too. I hope when his time does come that it is much more peaceful and dignified than that botched, premature attempt was.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Oct 16, 10:45 pm

Old Fart wrote:You need to report that incompetent cow to the proper authorities right away. Sorry for your pain WC.

funny thing she has a great reputation. Three different people recommended her to me, having had a great experience with her, that's why I made contact with her.

Even after the horrible experience, I got an email from a patient recommending someone who is absolutely the best.....it was her!

So OF I am conflicted about reporting her or even writing a negative review on line about her. Maybe it just was not the dog's time and the energy of the universe did everything it could to save him...i don't know....

moe. wrote:Thanks for all the trip reports, they were greatly enjoyed and appreciated. Thanks for the update on the little guy too. I hope when his time does come that it is much more peaceful and dignified than that botched, premature attempt was.

thank's Moe! Has departure has to be better than that - it felt like we were in a bad movie.
Glad you enjoyed the trip report. : >

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Nov 06, 2:39 am

Our little dog passed away this evening at home and in our arms.
he leaves a huge hole in our hearts
but his struggle is over : (

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Sun Nov 06, 3:05 am

Very sad news WC...

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sun Nov 06, 4:27 am

So sorry, lucky pooch to have to have such caring humans.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Sun Nov 06, 6:43 am

We're so sorry for your loss WC.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Sun Nov 06, 9:45 am

My deepest sympathy WC.....

The hardest part, for me anyway when my dog passed away, was coming home to an empty house...

Dogbreath

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Sun Nov 06, 11:22 am

So sorry WC.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sun Nov 06, 5:00 pm

I feel for you guys so much...I will be facing the same thing in the not too distant future.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Sun Nov 06, 5:51 pm

Wishing you the best as you go through it all... I've been there and remember how hard it is... the times you shared were great for you both, and it doesn't get any better than that...

Cat
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Cat » Sun Nov 06, 8:24 pm

Sounds like that dog had a great life and a proper compassionate end.
I had a 3 legged 1 eyed cat named Boots for 15 years some time back. He was mauled by dog when he was a kitten but the vet thought he'd make it so we got the surgery, patched him up and he lived on. Had a good personality all that time, and got around fine with one strong rear leg and became a proper mouser. Found him dead in the yard one day, old age I guess, buried him and went out and got another kitten within days. You do what you can for them and I've adopted and cared for many over the years.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Mon Nov 07, 4:16 am

So sorry. I had the good fortune to give that dog a few pets when he visited Denver. He traveled more then most of my other friends. Fine animal. RIP

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Mon Nov 07, 7:42 pm

Took our old girl up to The Lakes last week! ... Mainly 'cos there was no one left at home to watch her!

Apart from moulting like fuck all over the back seat of the car, and getting on my tits by mewling every wheel turn of the 2 hour journey up there, it was worth it to see her have a new lease of life, scampering through the forest, and stopping at every other tree to smell the squirrel piss!

She fuckin' loved it!

Peace, Des.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Fri Nov 11, 10:37 pm

Sorry to hear this news wc. Not many things sadder than losing a best friend. However i hope y'all are planning on getting a replacement? There's so many critters out there looking for some devotion.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”