Trip Report Day 2

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

thaioneon
regular
regular

Trip Report Day 2

Postby thaioneon » Thu Aug 25, 9:35 pm

We slept in late this morning and lounged around the apartment until noon. Funny but seems like every trip it takes us a few days to figure out the coffee selection that housekeeping leaves us since the individual foil packs lack the needed description. This time instead of trial and error I actually went to the coffee machine's website and did my research.! Truth be told it all tastes good and just need to avoid the decaf which is in the, oh shit forgot again which color pack! Oh well, more research on the agenda for this coming December's trip.

Time to get out and about so the first stop today was to be t'Loosje on the Nieuwmarket Square. Another favorite café of ours. Wish there were places like this back home but impossible to recreate the feel of a café like this. Amazing to us that although its smack in the middle of one of the busiest tourist areas in the city you feel as though you're very much part of the local scene at this place, especially when you get a table inside. We love their smoked turkey club sandwiches and their great selection of local beers. A Texels Skumkoppfe for the Mrs. and an Ij Natte for me. Not sure if its true, but we were told that the literal meaning of skumkoppfe is the foam on the ocean which is exactly what this beer reminds one of.

Next a walk down the Zeeldijk and into t'Appein or as we call it the Monkey Bar. A couple of more beers (Belgians as I recall) and the bartender was playing some great tunes on Spotify. Could have spent the entire afternoon here but was in need for a resupply as the Amnesia Haze was running low so we stopped by Voyagers for a buy and fly.

Decided to just keep walking with no particular destination in mind and found ourselves at de Gollem on Ramstraat. Another classic brown bar that simply cannot be recreated anywhere else, even in this city. We like the other locations as well, especially the one near de Pijp, but they all pale in comparison the the original, imho. Here we stayed for more than just our customary one or two beers as the combination of the beer list, the company (lots of interesting folks here), and the ambience just wouldn't allow us to leave! Westmalle Dubbel always a favorite and a bottle of Westveletren come to mind among the others that shall remain nameless since I cannot remember!

Back to the apartment made a quick stop at what is now called Café Jones and used to be Nes Café for a game of pool. Definitely not the same place it used to be but they call it progress? Not impressed here. Well, at least the pool table is still there.

After a brief respite back at the apartment, time to get dinner so we went to another favorite of ours, Café Bern. Delicious fondue and entrecote and salads made us full and very content. Decided that we just wanted to hang out at the apartment tonight as we were feeling the effects of our visit to Gollem earlier in the day and had stocked up pretty well on supplies. Really enjoyed whatever it was that I had purchased at Voyagers, sorry can't remember as it was a recommendation of the budtender.

What is really nice about these extended stay trips is that you don't feel that you have to do everything all at once and for us we can get into relaxation mode almost immediately after arriving.

thai

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Re: Trip Report Day 2

Postby bogart » Fri Aug 26, 5:58 am

You sound like you're having a blast! How do you choose which cafe's to go into, there are so many?

thaioneon
regular
regular

Re: Trip Report Day 2

Postby thaioneon » Fri Aug 26, 12:41 pm

Yes we did have a blast! We discovered these cafes throughout the years and we always find a few more each new visit. Most of the bars have been around for a long time, a few even hundreds of years.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”