A Handful of Days in Amsterdam

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

A Handful of Days in Amsterdam

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Aug 18, 11:00 pm

Before I say anything, gotta admit I still love this city – it’s changing…. but damn it, everything is changing, including me. People overall just seem happier and more at peace with themselves in Amsterdam – maybe it’s just all the exercise! Faces are relaxed and a smile is more common than a scowl. Or maybe it is my silly hat.

The air lacks car fumes (unless a scooter passes) and the level of noise? well there really isn’t one. It is so darn quiet.

We landed on Tuesday. (last Tuesday) As the plane approached Amsterdam, I began to panic…I rented this houseboat from a website I had never used before and had paid in full (something I never do, or at least had never done) The night before we were leaving, I went to the website to grab some pictures of the boat for friends. When I went to the website – there were NO boats or apartments available – the links that I had, did not work any longer. My heart began to pound and I am sure my face was beet red. Just could not say anything to the mate as I did not need to be stressed by him and myself for the next 24 hours. I put it out of my mind and carried on. As we got closer to landing, all of the fear and panic from the night before came flooding back. We called after landing as we were directed. No Answer. We called as we got in the taxi. No Answer. It began raining…visions of standing in the rain with all of our stuff, a sick dog and no place to go, danced in my head. I was silent for the entire trip into town. We pulled up to the boat – my heart is pounding again, it is 8:30am…either I am disturbing someone who has no idea that their boat was being rented on the internet.. or it is real.

I am frozen in horror
the door opens
a beautiful blonde dutch model opens the door

we are immediately welcomed in and I get to exhale. The houseboat is great It is so much quieter on Brouwersgracht. Plus there are NO big tourist boats with people waving in your face. I appreciate the peace of this location an entirely different experience.

Just want to say Air BNB has really ruined everything in every city everywhere! Renting apartments used to be this underground thing that was done, it was quiet and subtle –now thanks to the spotlight they have shined on the practice the rules are getting ridiculous – you can now only rent your place out for 60 days out of the year, period. So a number of delightful places we really loved are now no longer available. We even had Amsterdam inspectors at the door, asking questions soon after we arrived and the owner left. They have been to our door now on three different occasions! So I guess the website has no pictures or listings thanks to being raided by the short term rental police. Makes future stays a whole lot more difficult

Tuesday was kind of a hellish day, having nothing to do with Amsterdam! If you really want to know the details – I will share, but in the spirit of no blood. We can just say that for my little dog his first day in Amsterdam, was very close to being his last. Went to sleep that night with the knowledge that we needed to boost him into his next incarnation.

But before sleep
After pretty much being locked to the dogs side all day, by late in the afternoon Winnie stopped by and the dog was stable enough at that point to walk out and leave him closed off in the bathroom. The one place no harm could come to him or the boat.

We wandered into the Jordaan on a quest for food. We look for restaurants filled with (though, not too filled) with locals. Any restaurant with suitcases and weary travelers was totally avoided. Then we spotted Shah Jahan an Indian Restaurant – it looked promising so we took our seats and within 15 minutes the place was packed – our timing was impeccable. The food was good, I think we have probably eaten here before and I am sure glad we found it again. We enjoyed a splendid evening with Winnie, strolled back to our new home, cleaned up the poor sweet dog and went to sleep with heavy hearts.

Wednesday day 2
The dog woke up this morning washing our faces with the sweetest little licks on the eyelids. Wtf? Are you the same dog that we were ready to say goodbye to 10 hours ago? He is weak, but his spirit is back. We keep him as quiet as we can, short little walks, little to no excitement. We are once again on that pinwheel of life. Round and round she goes, where she stops nobody knows….. our dog will get to enjoy Amsterdam, after all.
It’s funny how the days can quickly blend in to each other and how visions from past visits lurk in the shadows coloring the experience. I kind of wish I could have that pure joy crazy awe of a newbie.

Enjoyed an afternoon visit with Winnie and then went to the Haarlemmerstratt
Organic market. People were sweet and helpful offering a taste of this and a taste of that, others waited patiently for their turn making small talk and just making one feel like we really are in this together. The tomatoes and blueberries are so delicious I can not stop eating them! We made a Picnic of all of our finds and ate out on the deck of the boat
It was near perfection.

Later we strolled over to Spirit to play Pinball. The remodel is nice, they got rid of the divide between the seats and the bar – it is now one big open room – makes the air flow much better in the back pinball area, but it loses a bit of the old charm. We were lousy at pinball. Laughably lousy.

Thursday day 3

This is one of those very rainy days. An all day rain affair. It’s okay, the boat is great, the dog is getting stronger daily. We all need to just chill. Seems that just being in Amsterdam is enough. No need to run around. This is a vacation, after all- a time to relax and unwind. We laugh about our early visits in younger days- when we had to be everywhere and definitely out on the street all of the time– I think the combination of age and staying in hotel rooms will do that. Anyway reading, relaxing, smoking, good music
surrounded by the canal houses on brouwersgracht, what could be better?
The rain lightened by evening and we ventured out to La Perla. Because we called prior to arriving and made a reservation, we were treated respectfully. I watched other tourists
Being given a difficult time or being told to sit at the bar, or just being sent away, even though there were plenty of tables, interesting
Strolled over to Spirit in the drizzle. Our pinball is lousy. We have gotten so accustomed to playing Pinball Arcade on the ipad that we have lost the touch for a real machine. Heck haven’t touched a real machine since we were here in 2014!

Beginning to relax remembering what the word vacation really means.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Re: A Handful of Days in Amsterdam

Postby Dogbreath » Thu Aug 18, 11:27 pm

Love reading your excellent report w.c.

And very glad to hear your four legged wonder has made the turn around. That will improve anyone's spirit.....

The drought has broken.

Thanks so much...

Dogbreath

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Fri Aug 19, 2:21 am

Enjoyed the read wc...look forward to more

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Fri Aug 19, 2:05 pm

Nice report as always.

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Fri Aug 19, 7:53 pm

Nice report WC.

However, no weed reports?

Please let us know the current situation, prices, etc.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Fri Aug 19, 8:52 pm

Thanks WC!

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Fri Aug 19, 9:08 pm

Lovely WC.
Please tell me your dog didn`t get his schnitzel mangled again
during some cannine sexcapade .

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Sat Aug 20, 1:25 pm

Nice work there WC... :)

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Sun Aug 21, 12:43 am

Thank you!!! ;)

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Aug 21, 10:02 am

Friday day 4

The dog continues to get stronger and can actually walk about a half a block now. He is alive, sweet and loving. Geez dogs can just steal your heart and wrap it around their little paws…they all seem to possess that talent.

Finally got our bikes today! Yippee! – we have those folding bromptons back home, keeps us riding in the city- but got that big Dutch Granny bike in my hands and I almost literally fell over with it in the street…right in front of the bike shop, of course. Yup, just another stupid tourist. Since we were in the neighborhood, stopped over to Paradox. It is slowly transforming. The wonderful painted chairs and tables are just a memory, replaced by non descript tables and chairs…except the corner table, still remains as a reminder. Received a really warm welcome from Willem – who proceeded to share a slew of pictures of his one year old daughter. Their fresh squeezed orange juice was the best I have had so far. Then off we went to vondel park. What a wonderful place. People behaving respectfully to each other – imagine that! There did seem to be a whole lot more packs of tourists on bike tours, then I previously remember. On our way, saw some tourists standing in the middle of an intersection, looking at maps and blocking traffic. A car just stood their waiting for them to move – no aggression, no honking of the horn. I flashed on NYC – there would be cursing and honking without missing a beat. Then I realized, I too was actually much less aggressive on my bike here, than in the city.

Got back to the boat and heard a knock on the door! Oh great the rental cops again??! Opened the door and it was Tak and Nordje - I immediately go into this protective stance saying that I do not think it is a good idea for them both to come in as Rishi is supposed to be convalescing and perhaps it would be too much. Just as I get it out of my mouth, the mate (who had been on the phone) strides over and says come on in. I think I shot a dagger his way. Of course everything worked out fine and we had a really nice visit they are both sweet dogs and very chill. Rishi collapsed after the visit – but I think it was still a healing step for him none the less.

Our timing is not on target – we have not thought about food or made reservations anywhere….and it is almost 8pm Friday night! Pretty stupid. We are really hungry and most descent places are packed. So I confess to making the worse mistake EVER! And yeah, it was my choice. Geez. We went to Barney’s. NEVER go to Barney’s to eat! When Uptown first opened, it was actually pretty good - good products, attention to detail, the food was descent….but now???! It has disintegrated terribly – guess they really no longer care about the food end or return business for that matter. We are hoping we have at least paid the food karma gods with our sacrifice.

From there we walked thru the canal ring, enjoying the enchantment of Amsterdam at night. Those little lights circling the bridges just make my heart sing.

-------and for NYNY I will give you a weed report shortly -

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Sun Aug 21, 4:59 pm

Thanks for the report.

Just wondering why you brought your dog if hes on his last legs?

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Sun Aug 21, 5:54 pm

I know you take the pooch always with you. How old is he and what is his illness? Love these trip reports.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Aug 21, 7:21 pm

to answer the dog questions..

he is 9 years old, 7 1/2 pounds. His first trip to Amsterdam was when he was 6 months old. This is his 9th. He has never spent a night away from us, traveled everywhere we have gone and he is our responsibility. Since all of his health issues snowballed after the trip was paid for, there was no turning back. Neither his vet or us, really thought he would make it to August. If/when he is going to pass, it will be with us. It would have been impossibly stressful to have him pass in some one else's care while we were away.

In January, the vet notices a minor heart murmur....nothing to worry about we were told. By the end of march he was diagnosed with full blown congestive heart failure, we were told it was a matter of weeks. Then to complicate the picture a bit more, his enlarged heart pushed on his trachea and began a condition of tracheal collapse...this is the coughing and gagging. (he is on 5 different western meds)

We constantly are asking each other is he suffering? Should his life continue....but his little spirit is there, he is sweet happy and his tail wags, he enjoys things even in short bursts, has a ravenous appetite and drinks plenty of fluids. So we figure we have a little invalid to care for. I have the attitude that pets are not throw away creatures, but rather a precious life that one takes responsibility to nurture and care for to the end....not just while it is convenient.

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Mon Aug 22, 10:01 pm

Oh Honeybunny. So sweet. He is too young to be so ill. Good Mommy and Daddy. Enjoy every little pound of him. We couldn't have a pic could we?

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Tue Aug 23, 12:58 am

It's tough seeing a lifelong friend in decline wc.

I know what you are going through. My 14+ year old girl is deaf, blind in one eye, skinny as a rail, wables when walking and generally looks decrepit. But when she's down by the pond with her dog buds doing recon and sniffing butts with a wagging tail....the quality of life is there.....

Hoping for the best...

Dogbreath

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Tue Aug 23, 9:35 pm

thanks chichi and dog breath....
i am glad you understand
these have not been easy decisions on any level...
and it is all heart twisting

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Tue Aug 23, 10:08 pm

Saturday Day 5
We have been blessed with incredible weather. I had just read an article in the Dutch News saying that meteorologists have declared this the worst summer since 1997 (or maybe it was 96) Anyway the article said there had been only 7 days with no rain in the Netherlands. We are grateful that their experience of reality is not our experience of it.
It’s a gorgeous day. We decide that the dog is ready for a venture out, and a bit of a vacation too. So off we trot to 137. It is near by and they have that outdoor seating, a perfect place. He is carried most of the way, but he is out. He seemed to be really happy people and dog watching. What I find amazing is that it is the dogs that are like him – or come from a similar genetic line that just gets him really excited and wanting to meet them. It’s a curious thing – a dog can be half a block away, he does not even have to see them, for him to ‘know’ that there is someone he wants to meet. But most of them were not so interested in him, guess he doesn’t speak dutch.

Took the bikes for another spin thru the city and around Vondel Park. I am overwhelmed being here as to the how peaceful this city is. Even took a ride over to chapiteau to pick up some smoke (good prices descent smoke)

a group of us are going to Ruigoord for the Landjuweel Festival, (Winnie, Shaman E, and his lovely lady A, the ukulele lady, and Aileen – quite the group!)
The mate and I ride out to Sloterdijk Station to meet up with the others and catch the bus out. Geez, finding a place to lock up our bikes took longer than getting there! The bus is jammed full and we are standing. A young man (lol they are all young!!) starts a conversation with me from his seat. Asks where I am from, when I tell him NYC – he jumps up and out of his seat and says- “here YOU must sit” . Not certain if it was NYC or my grey hair, but I was the only one in our little group given a seat.

As soon as we arrived the rain (that was NOT supposed to be according to all weather reports) began. Luckily it was a light drizzle sort of rain- but the line to get in took almost 90 minutes, plenty of time to get wet! Patience was the name of the game. Happily, we were surrounded by good company, so it really did not matter.

I think what I like most about Ruigoord is that everyone is welcome. All ages of hippies and all levels of health are represented…even wheel chairs and walkers. There were at least 6 to 7 stages and areas with different live music. I would guess maybe 300 to 500 hundred tents (maybe more) for those that had camped out and of course lots of little booths offering up their wares and esoteric charms. There were food stalls and bars.

Tried to get a drink (some water actually) at the bar inside the church. I am a newyorker and can be as aggressive as I need to be – but even I could not find a way thru the mass of tall male bodies to get the bar tender’s attention. First time I had felt like a tiny person in a land of giants. Made me sympathetic to real little people and how enormously difficult it must be for them. Aileen rescued me- she could not get thru the mass either so we went on a quest for water. More difficult than I thought it would be. But we were successful. Sadly, we had to leave around midnight as the dog needed his medicine, we talked about returning, but honestly, I knew once we got home, we or at least I would not be going back out. (all nighters may just be a thing of the past.)

(if you have a FB account – here are some pictures that they posted https://www.facebook.com/Ruigoord/photo ... =3&theater)

Once back, we were starving so the mate fixed up a very late night pesto and gnocchi dinner. I think I might just starve if it were not for him! I am a lucky lady!! <3

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Wed Aug 24, 8:34 am

Cool, looks like a good time.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Aug 24, 5:30 pm

Thanks for the reports W.C. i have been away from my computer or the last week or so and have had a couple of enjoyable cups of coffee and read sessions. I know what you are going through with your dog. I have an oldish pug with itchy skin. I have/am doing everything i can to make him comfortable.

While away i spent an evening with old hippie Dave at a Friday night event in his small town. I gotta say this event was VERY dog friendly. Lots of pooches and many booths selling doggie stuff, like organic chews etc. I saw many dogs in wagons or even in small strollers, Have you considered this?

Please keep on...

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Wed Aug 24, 10:22 pm

I thought i had forgotten about the place, but your reporting makes me want to go to Amsterdam once again.

It has that effect on me. Thanks for sharing.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sat Aug 27, 10:53 pm

Sunday Day 6
Every day the dog is getting stronger, (or maybe I am just in denial)
he walked almost ½ the way to 137
and again, half the way on his return.
He likes going and is beginning to expect his morning outings. You all know that stare – oh please can we go? Please, please, please!

Once he is satisfied we jump on our bikes and are off for a spin thru the city and around vondel park.
I love the ease of bike trave here. There is even a gentleness to the bikers - seems less agressive than a couple years ago...

As we come round the band shelter in the park we hear music, so of course we must stop! found a perfect spot near the lake to sprawl out. The music was sort of ephemeral jazz, perfect for the day, sunny, warm with a light breeze We had our books and just relaxed, listened and read in the sun. just another incredibly perfect Sunday afternoon!

the kindness, consideration and easy going nature of the amsterdammers seems to be much more prevelant on this trip.

Came back to the boat and the mate wiped up a salad nicoise. Delicious.
Food really does taste different here. It feels somehow more nutritionally dense. I wonder if it is soil differences. We eat 90% organic in the states – but the organic veggies and lettuce just have a denser taste profile. Interesting.

some days are just no big deal, but perfect none the less.

Monday Day 7
Another day starting at 137 with the dog
Didjaya notice we are creatures of habit?!

It’s close, it’s comfortable and they have outdoor seating with descent Amsterdam watching… plus they are incredibly welcoming..I think I keep saying that about the place - but it is true!

lol and i still think the roof across the canal shimmers exactly like fish scales when the sun hits it.

in front of us the parade never stops

There are the tourists so glued to their maps that they see nothing
Then there are the others who keep reappearing looking frustrated as they march back and forth trying to figure which direction to walk in
The ones whose eyes light up when they realize it is a coffeeshop
The ones that scowl when they realize it is a coffeeshop
And always the teenagers on vacation sulking 3 ft behind their parents
Locals on their bikes and walking their dogs
And that intersection with its dance between cars, trucks, bikes and clueless visitors
Some things don’t change!

OMG – I am definitely impressed with the folks who drive the big trucks in Amsterdam. There have been a few occasions, when I was certain I was viewing the last moments of my life before the 3 of us are smashed up against the wall. The corner in front of 137 is a crazy intersection. I watched a father lean his bike with 2 small kids on the roadside end on the pole. Cars are whizzing by and he walks into the coffeeshop. Across the street, someone carelessly parked their car so that the tail is hanging out in the street
I watched a truck barely skim past the children and avoid scratching the car! Impressive

for those who are curious - Here’s a bit of a weed report:
Honestly – so far nothing has knocked my socks off – you can now get just as good, if not much better in the US, strange how that is happened… I have been especially disappointed in the Indica’s – I have not found that beautiful downward slide that a good indica provides. But I do love the casey jones from boerejongens (the one that used to be stix) it has a really nice stoney high…actually made me feel stoned! It is my number one favorite for this trip (Oh and that are no longer wearing lab coats at boerejongens! It makes for a friendlier feel. They wear white shirts, some with suspenders, one with a vest, another with a bow tie. There is definitely more of a sense of humor and play their now, compared to when it first opened)
Prices are all over the place from 8-18 a gram
There are some good deals like at chapiteau and katsu.
But even the hashes don’t deliver the strength of hit I remember
Did like the mobey dick from paradox
137 has been consistent and I enjoy their white widow
it's a little hit and miss overall.

Took a spin on our bikes around Westerpark
groups of young boys searching for pokemon.
kids splashing in the cement pond
people hanging out
the lack of anger and aggression is palpable
so interesting
heck, it is apparently contagiousI realize that i have not yelled at a tourist once thus far.
a bit embarassed to admit, but in NYC, I can be hell on wheels - swearing and yelling at people constantly!

We had numerous failed attempts to connect with Winnie today. The days are moving too fast and I am just moving too slow.

Went to Geertjie for dinner. http://www.restaurantgreetje.nl
it has an award of excellence from trip advisor, so I was curious to see what that actually meant
It wasn’t bad, though I really doubt if anyone but tourists actually eats here. I would go back for their soup and dessert. For a vegetarian their entrée was mediocre , but the mate’s fish was quite good, or so I was told.

Finished the evening off with a beautiful ride about and thru the canals before heading home.
loving this sweet gentle village.

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Postby bogart » Sun Aug 28, 12:07 am

Then there are the others who keep reappearing looking frustrated as they march back and forth trying to figure which direction to walk in

That's me! I need to team up with an experienced Amsterdammer if I want a chance to see the city, especially if I want to enter one of the 500 year old coffee shops.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Sun Aug 28, 1:12 pm

Nice W.C........

Dogbreath

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Aug 28, 9:58 pm

Tuesday Day 8
The routine has been established. We are off to 137 with the pooch. He still can only walk a block, before he begins to get wobbly, but he does seem to enjoy sitting out. People stop and pet him and comment on what a sweet, good hearted dog he is.
Luckily, for whatever reason he does not cough and gag when we go there
It does make me feel guilty when we are smoking even though the smoke seems to have nothing to do with his cough – I imagine anyone observing would think we are being insensitive…don’t know why I care…but apparently I do.
Once again we take the bikes out to Vondel Park and this time stop by the rose garden. Wow!
Compared to the last time we were there, it really appears well maintained and cared for. Either that or this is just a great year for roses! Anyway, it is lovely and peaceful and the flowers are plentiful!

Actually it IS a great year for the flowers in Amsterdam, there are roses, hollyhocks and sunflowers all over the city. I absolutely love how people put flowers in pots out in front of their homes. In the city – they would be removed immediately.

The big event for the day was dinner at a place that is new to us: Senses
http://www.sensesrestaurant.nl/en/index.html

all I can say is WOW!
Clearly one of the most creative and interesting meals I have ever had, anywhere! What was even more amazing, is that they were able to reinterpret each course for a vegetarian, without missing a step or compromising their vision. There were numerous amuse bouche plates slipped in and around the meal. This is definitely a place to go for an adventure with food or a special night out– foodies will absolutely love this place. They lived up to their name and concept – it really was a delight for all of the senses!

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Postby bogart » Mon Aug 29, 3:32 am

Getting friendly with dogs is a foundation of society. When all else fails, pet the dog

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Mon Aug 29, 5:51 pm

Thanks for the weed report WC.
I must say, your comments below are the same way I felt last few times I have visited AMS.
Especially after I was able to visit Colorado in 2014.

IMHO, the weed in AMS hasn't been top of the line in some time.

As you said (with which I heartily agree) "nothing has knocked my socks off – you can now get just as good, if not much better in the US, strange how that is happened…".

All I know is still love AMS. The weed, the museums, the food, the city, the canals, etc, etc.
But for pure weed tourism, Colorado is the place to be.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Mon Aug 29, 11:41 pm

NewYork, New York wrote:But for pure weed tourism, Colorado is the place to be.

Let's not forget Oregon and Washington (and hopefully California after the November election farce), when it comes to quality weed we are right up there with Colorado.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Sep 01, 8:26 pm

yeah NYNY, Amsterdam is way more than the weed.
It really is a lot about the culture, the beauty of the city, the directness of the people, the bikes, the canals
and coffeeshops are a very nice touch too. To smoke in a public place and to feel free is still a wonder that is difficult to express

What has happened in Oregon, Washington, Colorado and even California has upped the quality of smoke available everywhere

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Sep 01, 8:36 pm

Wednesday Day 9

The mate read my report and his only comment: You are not a grey haired lady – You are a silver haired lady! Sweet. <3

And it’s another really beautiful Amsterdam day
We start out the day with our 90 minute ritual at 137

I am having a visceral sensation of a society closing in on it self today. I remember reading an article at the end of last year that the politicians were getting concerned that there were just too many tourists coming to Amsterdam and that there were too many festivals in Amsterdam…. And that something had to be done.

Well it appears they did actually do something. First: the Grachtenfestival. It used to be there would be banners all over the city and it was easy to find a schedule online
There would be a lot of music in the canals on barges. Well this year, it was nearly impossible to just find a schedule, plus many of the outdoor venues were moved indoors!
And the long table concert – the one where they set up a table on a canal and serve dinner while musicians perform in the canal and the waiters dance on the tables is no longer. Totally gone.

(heck I feel a bit of responsibility for it’s demise as the mate and I attended, what appears to have been the final one- it was mostly locals in attendance- so I suppose we were party crashers)
It must be difficult to be a village with so many inspired festivities meant for your community and all of these outsiders horning in and crowding out the locals.

Even the Prisengracht Concert separated itself from the Grachtenfest. (more on that later)

Another loss: The Hartjesdag Festival has totally closed down. It is now a one day festival with the street closed and a long table set up for residence and business owners of the street only! There would be no pianos and no opera. Because the opera attracts people and they do not want that.. http://tinyurl.com/hbggstm

What a loss – it was a fabulous experience – funky opera singers hanging out of the windows and singing, with a piano that appeared at different locations to accompany them. People drinking and happy in the street, it was great fun. Men dressed as women, women dressed as men. Really too bad the festival has been neutered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-kVFbNuKw

Geez – was at the very last Hartjesdag Festival to – oh dear, I’m sensing a trend

We are all just invaders of someone else’s good time it seems…sad to realize that you are part of the problem. But so was that damn advertising campaign, pushing Amsterdam as a perfect family vacation destination.

Enough.

Had a really wonderful afternoon at the boat with Shaman E, the lovely Lady A and Tak
The dog is coughing and gagging
And the mate and I just keep explaining - you don’t understand, he really is much better… is this denial?

The sunken boat had divers in wet suits and pumping machines to get it upright today.

The mate whipped up a delicious dinner on the boat and we strolled over to Spirit for a bit of pinball with a joint.

geez, just another perfect day in Amsterdam!

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Thu Sep 01, 8:45 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:What has happened in Oregon, Washington, Colorado and even California has upped the quality of smoke available everywhere

I have been amazed at how quickly our "new" strains are popping up on Amsterdam's CS menus. Strains like Gorilla Glue #4, Girl Scout Cookies and Platinum Cookies for example. Have you noticed Will, Willie's or Williams Wonder (all the same strain) on any menus? That strain was developed right here in Josephine county in the one horse town of Williams, hence the name.

I just learned that Steve Miller has or had a recording studio in Williams. Going to see him at the Britt Festival tonight!

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”