Jamaica, Mon

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Jamaica, Mon

Postby Weldon » Thu Feb 18, 5:36 am

Hello Again, Everybody!

So this isn't about Amsterdam. You're going to have to wait until June for that when I take The Farmer for her first trip. If I know her, she'll be wanting to do three different things while we're on our way to one.

But we had this day in Jamaica as a stop on our "Circle Cuba" cruise. Like any good red-blooded Channelite, I wanted to hit the beach and score some of that nice Jamaican bhang. It seemed that our choices were A Taste of Jamaica, Tea With the Hummingbirds and Chukka Beach. The Taste was this foodie thing which I thought was a waste for our only time in Jamaica, and we all thought it was a high tea with the triple-decker trays and extended pinkies; but no, it was sandwiches and scones and a walk through the garden on our own. (feh!) So the beach it was!

Our friends, The Grocer and The Financier were with us. The ship put into Montego Bay at 8 and we were on our way by 9. MB is the largest city in Jamaica. The tallest building that's not a hotel might be 6 stories. The bulk of serious businesses, like Xerox, are by the cruise terminals. Much of the other business are local economy type of things like food stores, craft shops, etc. There are also a lot of people living in tin shacks and cinderblock houses. The nice hotels and golf courses are these cloistered places with their own shops, stores, gates fences and security. The real Jamaica is on the other side.

Chukka Beach was about a 40 mile drive east of Montego Bay. The driver used his horn most of the way. When we got there, the sands were white and the waters were this verdant blue. The temps were in the 80's and it was sunny and not too humid. As soon as we got settled, the hawkers started coming by. The Farmer heard him first since I was too busy getting set up. But apparently this guy offered anything we needed for a nice day.

When I finally got a look at Jamaican John, I noticed he had a joint hanging out of his mouth so I asked him if I could get one of those. He motioned me over and would have sold me half-a-pound if I wanted it. The figure of $20 for something like an ounce was batted around and I had to tell him all I wanted was a joint. We finally settled on $10 and, I know, it was way-y-yay too much but I figured in Amsterdam they want 15 Euros for a gram ofJamaican that may not be Jamaican so at least I knew I was getting the genuine article. He was even going to roll me one for later but I turned him down, feeling I was challenging authority enough as it was already.

The stuff had an earthy, moist smell to it and stayed lit despite it. I must have been naturally buzzed already because I didn't feel much. Smoked about 2/3 of it. The Farmer did not partake. The Grocer and Financier were a little freaked out so she waited until later. But it felt very safe. The Jamaican men and women circulated about selling their wares. I didn't notice any other of them selling weed. I took a 35g THC pill I got in CA before going on the trip which was probably why the J didn't effect me as much.

But it helped to make for the classic Jamaican day in the sun. We had the beach. We had pina coladas made with Jamaican rum and cocoanut juice. We had Jerk chicken with red beans and rice for lunch. I bought a hand made pipe, walking stick and striped cat. The weather was great. I swam in the ocean for a long time. We heard a lot of reggae music on the beach which was NOT Bob Marley. In fact, we didn't hear one Bob Marley song the whole time we were there.

Jamaica is a pretty poor place. I know there may be poorer but it was the most divergent place between rich and poor I have ever seen. There were tin shacks and hovels on the beach where we were. I bought the wooden striped cat and walking stick from carvers who lived there. On the far end of their community is a resort with armed guards to keep them away from the well-heeled guests. I'm glad we were in a place where the locals could come up and talk with us and try to sell us our wares. We were only there a day. If I wanted to do the beach thing and spend a week at a resort, I'd sooner do it in Hawaii than at a place where I'm guarded from the general public. My heart goes out to the Jamaicans.

The Farmer finally tried the stuff when we got back to the ship. I didn't sweat bringing back 1/3 of a joint. We had a balcony. She thought it was pretty good which meant it passed the test. When things are going well, the Jamaicans say,"Aye-Reeee!" So..."Aye-Reeee! And on to the Cayman Islands!

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Jamaica, Mon

Postby Red Pleb » Thu Feb 18, 1:07 pm

The Grocer , The Financier and The Farmer . Characters from a very British ' heist ' ?
Could feel the warmth of the sun .
Well irie , man .

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Thu Feb 18, 3:26 pm

Thanks Weldon... you folks sure are doing some traveling!

winnie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby winnie » Fri Feb 19, 4:53 pm

I can almost see it. Thanks for taking the time

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri Feb 19, 11:11 pm

totally appreciated! thanks.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Feb 20, 12:38 am

Just got back from a week in Newquay! ... It was fucking freezing!

What possessed me to think a week in Cornwall in mid-February was a good idea I'll never know!

I had a quarter of Soapbar and a couple of spliffsworth of some decent green!

Peace, Des.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Sat Feb 20, 12:55 am

Thanks for the great report, Weldon, very interesting indeed.

des wrote:Just got back from a week in Newquay! ... It was fucking freezing!

What possessed me to think a week in Cornwall in mid-February was a good idea I'll never know!

Peace, Des.

Wtf is this? Soapbar of a trip report to be sure, but to tag in on someone else's fine trip report, where is the etiquette in that?

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Feb 20, 1:54 am

alpha wrote:Thanks for the great report, Weldon, very interesting indeed.

Peace, Des.

Wtf is this? Soapbar of a trip report to be sure, but to tag in on someone else's fine trip report, where is the etiquette in that?

I was highlighting the brilliance of Weldon's adventures by pointing out the shitness of mine!

Suck my cock, Des.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sat Feb 20, 2:45 am

Peace, Des.

You need to stop this annoying habit of yours telling people where to post.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Sat Feb 20, 3:47 am

des wrote:It was fucking freezing!
Peace, Des.

did you have a nice window view of the surf and a crackling fire?

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Sat Feb 20, 4:31 am

Sounds sweet Desmond...where/what the fuck is Newquay?

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Feb 20, 5:31 am

smokedpeppers wrote:
des wrote:It was fucking freezing!
Peace, Des.

did you have a nice window view of the surf and a crackling fire?

Our room overlooked Tolcarne Beach! ... First morning there my Missus told me to come and look at all the seals swimming in the sea!

Didn't take long to realise it was dozens of loony surfers lined up waiting for a big wave to ride! This was at 7-30 am on one of the coldest days of the year!

Hardcore motherfuckers, them lads!

Peace, Des.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Feb 20, 5:36 am

boneymaroni wrote:Sounds sweet Desmond...where/what the fuck is Newquay?

In Cornwall! ... It's somewhere I loved as a child but hadn't visited in nearly 40 years!

Peace, Des.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Sat Feb 20, 6:45 am

Old Fart wrote:

Peace, Des.

One mon, give me some examples of this, so i might reflect upon it more thoroughly and two how is it you're not doing the very same, with this post?

des wrote:Suck my cock, Des.

I'd rather hear whether you saw any decent flicks, since outdoor activities were limited, but from the lack of posts in the 'movies i've watched thread' it appears that they either sucked, or a lack of anything worth seeing.

My advice to you Des is the next vacation you plan for February, go to Jamaica, just ask Weldon.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Feb 20, 9:47 am

alpha wrote:
Old Fart wrote:

Peace, Des.

One mon, give me some examples of this, so i might reflect upon it more thoroughly and two how is it you're not doing the very same, with this post?

des wrote:Suck my cock, Des.

I'd rather hear whether you saw any decent flicks, since outdoor activities were limited, but from the lack of posts in the 'movies i've watched thread' it appears that they either sucked, or a lack of anything worth seeing.

My advice to you Des is the next vacation you plan for February, go to Jamaica, just ask Weldon.

I must admit, Weldon does a good job of selling Jamaica!

Peace, Des.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Sun Feb 21, 2:19 pm

I have to say that although Jamaica was nice, I found an angle to it that is a bit depressing. Rich, white tourists have the nice beaches and service while the natives have been pushed off. They are disadvantaged and many live in poverty. At least we were on a beach run by natives that ran up against one of these tin hut villages where people could sell their crafts. I bought a few of them and also availed myself of other treats that we all enjoy. There were some 1400 people on this cruise and maybe 30-40 people chose to go to this particular outing to the beach. Like I reported, it was a great time with the locals, with great food, great weather and a great vibe. We didn't need some resort cloistered from the rest of the island.

Now, here's the big rub...could we find it on our own? I think, no. The beach was severely tucked away for one. It was private, for two. You almost need a guide if you are not acquainted with the culture and people. Being a big Bob Marley fan won't cut it.

Georgetown, Grand Cayman was somewhat better. We didn't get out of town but there were still local people who were obviously on the outs.

I'll report more but we gotta leave the boat...

(Despite what was said about Cornwall, I hope to make it one day. We're going to the Shetlands in June!)

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sun Feb 21, 5:52 pm

[quote="Weldon"]I have to say that although Jamaica was nice, I found an angle to it that is a bit depressing. Rich, white tourists have the nice beaches and service while the natives have been pushed off. They are disadvantaged and many live in poverty]

Not nice.
Last edited by MileHighDenver on Sat Feb 25, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Sun Feb 21, 8:23 pm

Re: High Times - there must have been something in it for them to have it there or, I would hope that they were providing something for people who were struggling. From your brief description, it wouldn't seem so. The guy that sold me my stuff asked if he could have any of my lunch that I didn't finish. I just gave him half of it.

The ship let into Montego Bay. If you weren't on some sort of excursion, you would have a dusty walk of about 1/2 mile to where they set up the cruise passengers only craft fair. They set it up in that particular spot because a larger ship docked there. We got some industrial location. The bus driver took us through an area close to the ship choked with cars and men assumedly looking for tourists to show around. The corporations like Xerox are located by the shipping docks. After that, it's a ride through a town that a tourist wouldn't want to be walking through on their own. There are a lot of makeshift homes made out of whatever happens to be laying about. People just sitting around in the middle of the day.

The city is made up of a lot of low lying buildings. It seemed kind of a huge market place with a smattering of official buildings. The most prominent buildings are the big hotels and their compounds with the golf courses. These are the things that are well taken care of.

Anyway, I heard that Holland America won't be going into Montego Bay any more, they'll be going to Falmouth instead. It's probably some touristed up locale that puts a happy face on the otherwise real truth of life in Jamaica. It's closer to Chukka Beach at the very least.

One thing, though...one of the locals mentioned to me that pot was legal now. To what extent I don't know. I haven't found out more about it in the meantime. But I didn't see any cops in the time I was there.

Remember that song Montego Bay by Bobby Bloom? It talks about driving in your MG, drinking rum and laying in the sun. Never heard it once the whole
time.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Sun Feb 28, 2:30 pm

des wrote:

Peace, Des.

I was highlighting the brilliance of Weldon's adventures by pointing out the shitness of mine!

Suck my cock, Des.

lol

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Fri Oct 14, 2:13 pm

I now have a whole new view of Jamaica after spending a week in the jungles of Orange Hill outside of Negril with locals. I have never eaten so well or been treated so well. The food highlight may have been the King Fish steak at the big house.

Lazy stones
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Lazy stones » Fri Oct 14, 3:42 pm

Love Jamaica although as a vegetarian it was a bit of a nightmare. Wasn't so keen on Negril tho. Too many hustlers

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Fri Oct 14, 4:03 pm

Negril, please.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri Oct 14, 4:33 pm

Lazy stones wrote:Love Jamaica although as a vegetarian it was a bit of a nightmare. Wasn't so keen on Negril tho. Too many hustlers

good to know (about the vegetarian issue) thought it would be a good place with plenty of options. I have stayed away because I hate going to tropical destinations where the economic disparity between the locals and the invaders is so large and apparent

Cali Guy
super poster
super poster

Postby Cali Guy » Fri Oct 14, 6:03 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote: I have stayed away because I hate going to tropical destinations where the economic disparity between the locals and the invaders is so large and apparent

Pats self on back for not being an “invader” and depriving economy of much needed tourist dollars.

worldcitizen1723 wrote:totally appreciated! thanks.

From appreciation to scold in one thread...nice.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri Oct 14, 11:40 pm

Cali Guy wrote:
worldcitizen1723 wrote: I have stayed away because I hate going to tropical destinations where the economic disparity between the locals and the invaders is so large and apparent

Pats self on back for not being an “invader” and depriving economy of much needed tourist dollars.

worldcitizen1723 wrote:totally appreciated! thanks.

From appreciation to scold in one thread...nice.

nah...i have been an invader in Panama. I witnessed what it does over a 10 year span. made me feel like an ugly american in the end, even though i worked a lot with the remote villagers and was a help.... i was still invading someone else's home turf, and in the case of panama, the tourist dollars that have begun to pour in to the now 'discovered' area have degraded life for the natives and not enhanced it.

From what I have heard from friends who spend time in Jamaca, the situation is similar- it seems much of the tourist dollars do not really trickle into the local's pockets

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Sat Oct 15, 12:37 pm

Thanks Weldon.... enjoyed your report....

Dogbreath...

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sat Oct 15, 4:33 pm

I work with 30 Jamaican Nationals who come to the USA every year on work visas for the summer. When they go back most of them work landscaping and in the service industry for tourists. I can assure you those dollars spent make it down to them. Especially tipped employees. Without it things would be much worse.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sat Oct 15, 4:35 pm

Lazy stones wrote:Love Jamaica although as a vegetarian it was a bit of a nightmare. Wasn't so keen on Negril tho. Too many hustlers

So no goat or ox tail for you then. Of course seafood was bountiful. The Lobsters are fresh daily and prepared a dozen different ways. Yams are wildly popular and all grown locally. So much fruit and veggies year round I'm surprised you had that experience. Don't most vegetarians eat fish?

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sat Oct 15, 5:07 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:

So no goat or ox tail for you then. Of course seafood was bountiful. The Lobsters are fresh daily and prepared a dozen different ways. Yams are wildly popular and all grown locally. So much fruit and veggies year round I'm surprised you had that experience. Don't most vegetarians eat fish?

Fish are animals. No vegetarians that I know eat them.

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Sun Oct 16, 2:03 am

Rudy wrote:Negril, please.

Spent a year there one fortnight in 1984.

You remember.... we wrote "Okie-Okie-Okie-Okie Vote"! together. The first Dee-Jee reggae rap song ever heard in Okieland.

Yellowman, mon.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”