Weldon in Amsterdam

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Fri Apr 10, 2:44 am

chigusa wrote:i've been on a boat. what else is there to do in Amsterdam?

there's always spook watching .
https://blog.cyberwar.nl/2015/03/summar ... nizations/

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Fri Apr 10, 10:21 am

There's another factor about Amsterdam that occurs to me. This is my first real trip in 10 years. The last time was the 10th Anniversary when there were loads of people (us) who were there for a common purpose. But now, I feel like I stick out.

I'm 60 now and a bit of an oddity. It looks to me like Amsterdam is something like college spring break central for European students who don't want to go somewhere sunny. In every coffeeshop I've gone into, I'm clearly the Old Guy. There are not other gray heads but me. Anyone else who may be is probably ten years younger. I don't even see a lot of older people on the streets. It seems that Amsterdam has given way to a younger generation overall.

I've kind of established myself in The Greenhouse off Damstraat because I've been tipping American style and I know the others don't. That way, they don't mind if I come in, order a drink and smoke whatever shit I have. I can only buy and smoke so much. I don't feel as comfortable as I used to just lighting up on the street or sitting on a bench.

The way to go is vaping. It's just as effective and people think it's an e-cig. They don't set off smoke alarms. The device I have looks like a pen with a flashing light at the end. No one here has seen them before. The cartridges go for between $25-$50 and vary in strength. I've used them in a lot of different places. No one who would care is the wiser.

As far as gear is concerned, and because California has opened up more, I'm a little better at knowing what to look for. For one thing, we can't get the Middle Eastern hash where I come from and it's thoroughly available here. That's what I wanted by coming here this time. I haven't seen any wax or dab products. Isolator stuff is about and it's still outrageously priced but I'm not really interested. The bud I've had has been pretty good. The Neville's Haze from Dampkring stands out. The Greenhouse had good product too. I bought Dolphins' product but have yet to smoke it. Like I said earlier, lots of rules.

Well, now I have two days left. It's turning into a photographers journey. I want to see the tulip fields because they're blooming right now by Leiden, and between the Hague and Haarlem. Thanks for the advice; if I stop in Haarlem, I'll try to go to the V&D there. Meals have not been my greatest priority. I had my best meal this trip in...PARIS. That's right. I took a little 2 day side trip there this week. Will tell you all about it later.

One more thing...the euro just dipped below $1.06 and is now $1.0596. It was something like $1.35 for the Channels 10th. Service charges have bumped my cash WD's to about $1.13 per euro. So, if you want to cut corners, my advice would be to charge everything to a credit card that doesn't charge for foreign transactions; unless you're one of these people who prefer to do everything in cash.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Apr 10, 4:37 pm

Thanks again pal. Great report. Are you sure that you're not a little oversensitive about your age? Fuck 'em. Have you noticed if La Tertulia is still alive? I loved smoking a spliff there then sitting on the canal sipping a great pistachio milkshake. Any chance of picking me up a CS t-shirt (XL)? I understand that with coffee and stuff you are probably out of space. Let's get together once you return.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri Apr 10, 4:42 pm

Weldon, be proud of your age! You are an OG after all.

If it wasnot for our generation, there would not have been coffeeshops!

(original gangster)

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Fri Apr 10, 4:44 pm

Weldon wrote:There's another factor about Amsterdam that occurs to me. This is my first real trip in 10 years. The last time was the 10th Anniversary when there were loads of people (us) who were there for a common purpose. But now, I feel like I stick out.

I'm 60 now and a bit of an oddity. It looks to me like Amsterdam is something like college spring break central for European students who don't want to go somewhere sunny. In every coffeeshop I've gone into, I'm clearly the Old Guy. There are not other gray heads but me. Anyone else who may be is probably ten years younger. I don't even see a lot of older people on the streets. It seems that Amsterdam has given way to a younger generation overall.

I've kind of established myself in The Greenhouse off Damstraat because I've been tipping American style and I know the others don't. That way, they don't mind if I come in, order a drink and smoke whatever shit I have. I can only buy and smoke so much. I don't feel as comfortable as I used to just lighting up on the street or sitting on a bench.

I know exactly how you feel Weldon. It seems like all of a sudden your hair is gray and the people you see on the street, or in the bar or coffeeshop appear to be a different species than you. NYC feels much the same way. I lived there for > 30 years and only realized in the last decade it is a young person's town. As I say all the time, getting older sucks.

Anyway, your trip reports are interesting to read. Thanks for the information.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Fri Apr 10, 4:54 pm

I'm winding down here. I was packing this morning and wondering how I was going to get all the shit I accumulated into the suitcases I have.

Was going to ride to the tulip fields today but got out too late again. So, since I didn't pick up any Waterman cartridges in Paris, I had a new mission and back to V&D I went. They didn't have them. The saleslady recommended Akkermanns but didn't know how to get there even though I had a map. So I went to Albert Cuypmarkt instead. AND...I finally got a two day pass on the tram. FYI it's 12 euros. I'd been walking most everywhere.

A.Cuypmarkt is pretty much the same, I'm happy to say. Just after I made the remark that I didn't see any older people, they seemed to be coming out of the walls. Now I saw 'em everywhere with their canes and customized slow motor scooters as well. I wasn't going to get anything else so why do I have two shopping bags on me. Hit the Pepperbol kind of hard. Didn't get any tea this time. I still think there's some from 10 years ago. I got the Farmer this three layered pagnina/scarf thing in as close to SF Giants colors that I could find. It was hand made and cheaper than a ring. I looked at the window at Cartier in Paris...yikes! I'm glad they didn't charge me for that.

One think I'nm not seeing that I saw last time are these Delicate brand chocolate bars that came 5 to a pack for about 1.50 euros. The bars were about 20 grams each and were a nice serving of chocolate. So I just got big bars to give away to groups of kids. I promised.

Still couldn't find my cartridges so I ended up back close to the hotel at de Bijenkorf. Never shopped there before. They had 'em as well as a nice selection of nice pens. Want to spend 1000 euros on a pen? I got another one for about $30. Also a bunch more art supplies for The Farmer. I'm here now. Had an early dinner of beef chow mein. de Bijenkorf has an outside terrace and although the weather isn't as nice as Paris, it's still nice to be out. And their wifi works one hell of a lot better than the hotel's.

Didn't hit a CS today but I was vapin' my way down Albert Cuypstraat and no one was the wiser.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Fri Apr 10, 5:05 pm

Thanks again for the trip reports Weldon. Enjoy the time you have left there.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Fri Apr 10, 5:13 pm

@NYNY - getting old doesn't suck that badly. When I was younger I looked at what shit cost before I got it. Now I just get what I want and worry less about the price.

In the end, it doesn't matter how old you are as long as you know what the fuck you're talking about. With age comes experience. Take that and your education and you have more than what most young people have.

In the end it's what my buddy Vito always says, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!"

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri Apr 10, 5:19 pm

NewYork, New York wrote:
Weldon wrote:There's another factor about Amsterdam that occurs to me. This is my first real trip in 10 years. The last time was the 10th Anniversary when there were loads of people (us) who were there for a common purpose. But now, I feel like I stick out.

I know exactly how you feel Weldon. It seems like all of a sudden your hair is gray and the people you see on the street, or in the bar or coffeeshop appear to be a different species than you. NYC feels much the same way. I lived there for > 30 years and only realized in the last decade it is a young person's town. As I say all the time, getting older sucks.

Anyway, your trip reports are interesting to read. Thanks for the information.

lol

me and the mate were walking down the street the other day - and all of a sudden we were engulfed by a gang of 30 somethings -- they all started oohing and ahhing and saying things like, "you guys are soo cute", "we LOVE the way you look - so cool" It was kind of hilarious - felt like some kind of porcelan relics. we are now ecentric old people and the young ones love it! I say be proud of your age and your grey!

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri Apr 10, 5:20 pm

Weldon wrote:@NYNY - getting old doesn't suck that badly. When I was younger I looked at what shit cost before I got it. Now I just get what I want and worry less about the price.

In the end, it doesn't matter how old you are as long as you know what the fuck you're talking about. With age comes experience. Take that and your education and you have more than what most young people have.

In the end it's what my buddy Vito always says, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!"

exactly!!

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Fri Apr 10, 6:23 pm

Weldon wrote:@NYNY - getting old doesn't suck that badly. When I was younger I looked at what shit cost before I got it. Now I just get what I want and worry less about the price.

No worries Weldon. You know what they say, "Youth is wasted on the young". Keep those reports coming.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Fri Apr 10, 9:33 pm

The best part about getting older is not giving a fuck.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Apr 11, 3:22 am

As far as I'm concerned, life just keeps getting better and better the older you get!

I'm pretty sure at some point that stops being the case, but meh, I'll worry about that when it happens!

Peace, Des.

TrekknHil
super power poster
super power poster

Postby TrekknHil » Sat Apr 11, 3:24 am

Old Fart wrote:The best part about getting older is not giving a fuck.

Word!

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Sat Apr 11, 3:59 pm

This, from the Some-Things-Never-Change Department:

I went to the Anne Frank House to visit the gift shop. As I was coming back, I was wending my way down Oude Liliestraat, a name I seemed to remember from bygone days. Sure enough, there was the Grey Area. And it was open. I got fixed up with some Tangie. The tender was good enough to help me select a sativa that was reminiscent of NYC Diesel and let me pick out a nice juicy bud. There were seats so there went part of the afternoon. Then some Giant fans from SF came in and we caught up on Opening Series action. What a day!

Getting back to the AF House, the line tog get in must have been 3 blocks long even in the cold, wet weather. I have been up there already so I just wanted to go to the bookstore. It's more souvenir shop these days. It used to have an extensive collection on the Holocaust at large but now it just has to do with the House, the families, Anne's life, any archives and pictures that have come to life and things like that.

I meandered around the neighborhood and took pictures before and after my trip to the Grey Area. What a treat it was to find that place. I was still the resident grandpa there but at least there were baseball compadres from home. And just like days past, the stuff they have there is pure quality. I was going to go for "The Dog" but it was indica couch lock and I'm naturally enough like that, so it can't do.

Started out the day having a special last breakfast in the Winter Garden Room of the Krasnapolsky Hotel. Very nice! (It damn well better be for 30 euros!) There was an omelet guy who also had fried eggs and benedicts at the ready. There was freshly squeezed OJ and a designated squeezer. There was serve yourself champagne (it bubbles like crazy in freely squeezed OJ) and coffee drinks, artisans cheeses, lox & brie, the usual warm pastries and breads, other exotic juices, cold cuts, chicken sossidges, swirly bacon, etc., etc. That was around 9. It's nearly 5 and I haven't eaten since.

After GA, it was a walk in the cold rain to de Bijenkorf where I got socks and another suitcase. Gonna try to head out again. Gotta make the most of these last hours.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sun Apr 12, 5:04 am

NewYork, New York wrote: getting older sucks.

The alternative sucks much more.

Great reports Weldon. Thanks for writing them.

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Sun Apr 12, 12:00 pm

Nice report. Thanks for taking the time Weldon.

I've stayed at the Rho once and I liked it.

We had a room on the first floor with a view to the corner of Nes straat; and we had the privilege of being able to see the 'psst, psst cocaine, xtc...' guys transactions just under our window :-)

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sun Apr 12, 1:12 pm

Weldon wrote:This, from the Some-Things-Never-Change Department:

I went to the Anne Frank House to visit the gift shop. As I was coming back, I was wending my way down Oude Liliestraat, a name I seemed to remember from bygone days. Sure enough, there was the Grey Area. And it was open. I got fixed up with some Tangie. The tender was good enough to help me select a sativa that was reminiscent of NYC Diesel and let me pick out a nice juicy bud. There were seats so there went part of the afternoon. Then some Giant fans from SF came in and we caught up on Opening Series action. What a day!

Getting back to the AF House, the line tog get in must have been 3 blocks long even in the cold, wet weather. I have been up there already so I just wanted to go to the bookstore. It's more souvenir shop these days. It used to have an extensive collection on the Holocaust at large but now it just has to do with the House, the families, Anne's life, any archives and pictures that have come to life and things like that.

I meandered around the neighborhood and took pictures before and after my trip to the Grey Area. What a treat it was to find that place. I was still the resident grandpa there but at least there were baseball compadres from home. And just like days past, the stuff they have there is pure quality. I was going to go for "The Dog" but it was indica couch lock and I'm naturally enough like that, so it can't do.

Started out the day having a special last breakfast in the Winter Garden Room of the Krasnapolsky Hotel. Very nice! (It damn well better be for 30 euros!) There was an omelet guy who also had fried eggs and benedicts at the ready. There was freshly squeezed OJ and a designated squeezer. There was serve yourself champagne (it bubbles like crazy in freely squeezed OJ) and coffee drinks, artisans cheeses, lox & brie, the usual warm pastries and breads, other exotic juices, cold cuts, chicken sossidges, swirly bacon, etc., etc. That was around 9. It's nearly 5 and I haven't eaten since.

After GA, it was a walk in the cold rain to de Bijenkorf where I got socks and another suitcase. Gonna try to head out again. Gotta make the most of these last hours.

Breakfast at the Kras sounds awesome! ... I've added it to my list of 'must do' things on our next trip!

Thanks for the tip!

Peace, Des.

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Sun Apr 12, 3:55 pm

Can't wait to hear about Paris!

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Mon Apr 13, 10:55 am

Nice work indeed Weldon... the old fire isn't out yet... :)

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Mon Apr 13, 3:11 pm

des wrote:

Breakfast at the Kras sounds awesome! ... I've added it to my list of 'must do' things on our next trip!

Thanks for the tip!

Peace, Des.

Breakfast at the Kras is wesome Des. The room they have it in is historical and famous. And the breakfast menu is extensive. Worth it at least once.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Mon Apr 13, 5:34 pm

NewYork, New York wrote:
des wrote:

Thanks for the tip!

Peace, Des.

Breakfast at the Kras is wesome Des. The room they have it in is historical and famous. And the breakfast menu is extensive. Worth it at least once.

It probably would be a one off at €30 a pop, but Eggs Benedict and Buck's Fizz sounds a lot more exotic than the usual fare served at a Dutch breakfast!

Peace, Des.

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Tue Apr 14, 12:01 pm

It's 11:45AM in Dam Square but a quarter to three in the morning where I am, my body still being on Euro time.

I didn't sweat the upcoming journey home. I cashed in all my miles (and then some, argh!) on United to fly home first class so I got three free suitcases to check in. So that meant that I didn't have to pack the other two so tightly and now had space to spare. I ended up on Leidsestraat trying to find more stuff to get before the places closed. The tourist place wanted 3E for a package of stroopwafels; I passed on that and went to Albert Hijn where they were only 1.79E. Picked up a bunch of those and more chocolate as well. The DA Pharmacie was having a big sale on perfumes. Picked up another for the Farmer.

Had my last dinner at one of those Argentine Steak Houses. This one on the Damstraat just up the block from the Dam. I had the ribs. Ever notice how they mix up spare ribs with back ribs? I wanted to eat at one of those outdoor places on the Dam by the Bijenkorf, but in one, they wanted to put me at a table in the back when they had tables in front, so I walked out. At the other, I nearly tripped on my face when I walked in, so I walked out again. Bad vibes. The ribs were OK. The fries were kind of underdone. I don't really come to Amsterdam for the food. The best thing I ate was the extensive breakfast buffet at the Krasnapolsky. I ate at the Golden Chopsticks a couple of times. Once I ordered off the menu and had wonton with duck noodle soup which reminded me of San Francisco Chinatown 30 years ago. Probably the second best thing I had.

With all the packing and stowing, I only got a few hours sleep. I got up to walk around the Dam and smoke my last doob, half a J of the Tangie on the canal by the Greenhouse Centrum. Remember to bring your own roach clips if you use them. Either that or get alligator clips from a hardware store when here. I left my gear for a righteous passerby or the street cleaners, got my luggage and waited for a cab.

On the Rho Hotel: I don't think I'd stay there again. Although it had its nice aspects (like their breakfast buffet, certain helpful staffers, nice view from my new room, great location), I didn't like having to wait for a room when I got there while other travelers went right to theirs. I didn't like being told I'd get a quiet room on a courtyard when it was a noisy room next to a bike rental place on the street. The bathroom flooded after a shower. The heater threw off heat even when it was off. When I asked a different clerk the next day for a room change, he seemed to know right away why I wanted it when I told him I was in Room 130. I had a nice room for the next 6 nights, but when I book into a place for 8 nights, I want to unpack once when I get there and once again when I leave, not twice.

After a while it dawned on me that there were few if any other Americans there. Maybe that was it. There were no American channels on the TV. BBC came in scratchy and full of static. My room in Paris was about the same price and much nicer. The shampoo didn't come in an envelope. The shower drained properly and didn't flood the toilet area. When the window closed, the room got quiet. The room safe was universal, easy to figure out, and the same as I'd seen it in many places. The place was clean. It smelled nice. When I returned to the Rho in Amsterdam, I felt like I was coming back to my dorm in college, with the stained carpet and that stale pantry smell.

When I stayed at cheap places, (and that's all I stayed at) I didn't expect much. At one place I found a dead rat behind the heater. That was at the Euphemia in '99. I just put it in the trash. I think the room was about $25 a night. They're still there just off Viszelstraat by the Mellow Yellow. At several where I shared the bathroom, I tried to get in the toilet before the smokers for my morning sit-down, otherwise I'd smell of tobacco for the day. But I paid nearly $140 a night for the Rho and expected more. I offered to pay extra to get into a room that was ready right away when I got there. Instead the clerk either misinterpreted it or was insulted so I got a shithole instead. Nah! Next time I'll probably come back with the Farmer and we'll stay somewhere nice. Prices have gone up (way up) and I'd expect to pay near and over $200 if that's the case.

Paris was almost a relief from Amsterdam. It's more of a universal place, it seemed. People of all ages everywhere. The weather was great. Didn't need a coat. More on that later.

Jessica
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Jessica » Tue Apr 14, 12:27 pm

Great read. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Tue Apr 14, 12:36 pm

Nice Weldon

I too stayed at the Rho years ago. I had nearly the same unpleasant, disrespectful-to-customer experiences as you.

Some things never change....

Dogbreath

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Tue Apr 14, 12:58 pm

I was originally booked into the Nes. I accidentally booked the Rho on Nes but never cancelled it. About a week before the trip, I checked my reservation and saw that the Nes cancelled my reservation without telling me. It was probably because my credit card got replaced because of fraud. This happens periodically. The Nes probably ran the number trying to validate the charge and couldn't do it, so they cancelled. It was Easter weekend and they were probably getting a lot of demands and the also probably get a lot of bad credit cards so that's why they didn't notify. I was actually relieved I still had the Rho reservation because when I tried to rebook elsewhere, there was nothing to be had near the Centrum that wasn't nearly $300 per night.

Just took another look at the Rho bill. It came to $147.50 per night. Oh well. One can only plan so much.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Tue Apr 14, 1:34 pm

Tangie is really one of the nicest weeds ive ever smoked. I got it in Dampkring in September.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Tue Apr 14, 3:18 pm

When you go back with the Farmer look into renting an apartment or a boat if you still can. Citymundo seems to be up and running.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Tue Apr 14, 4:10 pm

Bohannon wrote:When you go back with the Farmer look into renting an apartment or a boat if you still can. Citymundo seems to be up and running.

second that - you get a whole lot more bang for your buck.

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Tue Apr 14, 4:43 pm

Weldon wrote:I was originally booked into the Nes. I accidentally booked the Rho on Nes but never cancelled it. About a week before the trip, I checked my reservation and saw that the Nes cancelled my reservation without telling me. It was probably because my credit card got replaced because of fraud. This happens periodically. The Nes probably ran the number trying to validate the charge and couldn't do it, so they cancelled. It was Easter weekend and they were probably getting a lot of demands and the also probably get a lot of bad credit cards so that's why they didn't notify. I was actually relieved I still had the Rho reservation because when I tried to rebook elsewhere, there was nothing to be had near the Centrum that wasn't nearly $300 per night.

Just took another look at the Rho bill. It came to $147.50 per night. Oh well. One can only plan so much.

Weldon,

I stayed at the Best Western - Dam Square about 2 years ago. Nice quiet room, decent breakfast, nice staff, great location. I think I only paid about 100 euros. Try it next time.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”