New Years.

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

New Years.

Postby MileHighDenver » Wed Dec 17, 4:15 am

Sept 2013 was the last time I was in Amsterdam. I'm leaving Denver after xmas and will spend a couple weeks with my sweetheart. That gets me there in 2014 and 2015. I have no plans except lots of loving. We do like to eat well and there are many new places that have opened in the last couple years so I will try to offer a review or two. We have our favorites too. Alkar and Vamos a Ver come to mind. Excited to get back and see some old friends.

sdshadow
super power poster
super power poster

Postby sdshadow » Wed Dec 17, 11:52 pm

Genieten van het eten en je reis. Groeten ook aan je vrouw!

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Wed Dec 17, 11:54 pm

Enjoy your visit and hello to the Emerald Goddess.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Dec 18, 3:38 am

chichi123 wrote:Enjoy your visit and hello to the Emerald Goddess.

+1

write up some reviews please. I hope the light festival is as good as it looks on video.
Last edited by worldcitizen1723 on Thu Dec 18, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlyByNite
super power poster
super power poster

Postby FlyByNite » Thu Dec 18, 5:54 am

Inquiring minds want to know, What dates will you be in Amsterdam, for the Whos In Town page.

Enjoy
FlyByNite

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: New Years.

Postby NewYork, New York » Thu Dec 18, 5:20 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:Sept 2013 was the last time I was in Amsterdam. I'm leaving Denver after xmas and will spend a couple weeks with my sweetheart. That gets me there in 2014 and 2015. I have no plans except lots of loving. We do like to eat well and there are many new places that have opened in the last couple years so I will try to offer a review or two. We have our favorites too. Alkar and Vamos a Ver come to mind. Excited to get back and see some old friends.

I remember spending New Years Eve in AMS about 5 years ago.
City was very crowded. Coffeeshops were packed. (I'm sure you know this MHD).

I fondly recall visiting with Holly and Tak on their houseboat.
Holly's only advice for New Years eve in AMS was "Keep your back to the wall". Boy was Holly right. Fireworks were flying everywhere.

Thanks for the advice Holly.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Tue Dec 23, 12:19 am

FlyByNite wrote:Inquiring minds want to know, What dates will you be in Amsterdam, for the Whos In Town page.

Enjoy
FlyByNite

Hi Dave, I liked your trip report. I am there Dec 29th - Jan 13th. Katsu for the NYE party.

FlyByNite
super power poster
super power poster

Postby FlyByNite » Tue Dec 23, 12:42 am

Thank you,

Posted on the December and January Whos In Town pages.

Enjoy
FlyByNite / Bud Tender

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Fri Jan 02, 8:12 pm

Great NYE party at Katsu. A lot of gourmet food and champagne. I spent an hour chatting with a 25 year old Tirkish girl from Istanbul. She was an architectural student and looking for a way to stay out of Turkey permanently.
We ate a good breakfast at a new International breakfast place near the Heinekenplein. I forget the name but will find out and share. Best breakie I've had here. Blue skies, agreeable temperature but windy.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Mon Jan 05, 5:25 pm

http://www.restaurantoceania.nl

Highly recommend this place for excellent Chinese. Dine in or carry out.

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Red Pleb » Mon Jan 05, 6:25 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:http://www.restaurantoceania.nl

Often stay in the Zuid and have spotted this place when walking around . Will try and give it a bash in March . Thanks for the heads up.

nemesystem
super poster
super poster

Postby nemesystem » Mon Jan 05, 8:28 pm

sounds like you and jackie are having a good time. Hope everything is well

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Tue Jan 06, 6:56 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:http://www.restaurantoceania.nl

I always visit Nam Kee when in AMS.

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Tue Jan 06, 9:31 pm

I always go to Bojo. It's a bit out of the way but I like the food and the late opening and love the cheesy bamboo hut theme.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Wed Jan 07, 10:58 am

Hill Street Blues is now Greenhouse Effect, wtf?
Beautiful sunshiny day.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Wed Jan 07, 8:35 pm

I don't know about Bojo. Nam Kee got popular after being in that Dutch movie "Oysters of Nam Kee". There are several of them in town now. Right next door to Nam Kee on the Zeedijk is New King, a much better choice imo.
Had pizza tonight from Mangiamore on the Maasstraat. Still the best in Amsterdam. Friday will be Vamos a Ver, a great Tappas place.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Wed Jan 07, 9:35 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:I don't know about Bojo.

I believe it's like our cheesy hojo's, but minus the bamboo hut theme.

However, considering some of their hotels it's conceivable that theme could return once you reach your room!

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sat Jan 10, 12:27 pm

Vamos A Ver was wonderful. Considered by many locals to be the best Spanish Restaurant in the city. We ate stewed Lamb, suckling pig, squid, anchovies, Chorizo sausages, potatoes bravos, mini clams, and other tasty things. Washed down with a lovely bottle of Spanish red wine. They bring a pitcher of water to the table too. A very rare thing in Amsterdam. Call for a reservation if you are going late or any busy weekend night for that matter.

Weather has been warm, but very windy. With the wind at my back, I don't need to peddle which is nice, however trying to ride against the wind is another matter all together. Especially with 4 bags of groceries and my sweetheart on back. I didn't bother getting the Spartamet out of storage this trip because it was just to much hassle to gas it up and get it going for my short time here.

Amsterdam has not changed as much as I thought. Local life is much the same as it's always been with the only exception that it seems much busier everywhere all the time. Just a lot more people here then there used to be I think. Lot's of new construction in the old south too.

The out pouring of support for the french is really overwhelming here. Big gatherings in every major city and nothing else on the TV. The Dutch show and tell it all. Funny to compare the Dutch TV reporting to SKY and BBC.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Jan 10, 2:51 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:Vamos A Ver was wonderful. Considered by many locals to be the best Spanish Restaurant in the city. We ate stewed Lamb, suckling pig, squid, anchovies, Chorizo sausages, potatoes bravos, mini clams, and other tasty things. Washed down with a lovely bottle of Spanish red wine. They bring a pitcher of water to the table too. A very rare thing in Amsterdam. Call for a reservation if you are going late or any busy weekend night for that matter.

Weather has been warm, but very windy. With the wind at my back, I don't need to peddle which is nice, however trying to ride against the wind is another matter all together. Especially with 4 bags of groceries and my sweetheart on back. I didn't bother getting the Spartamet out of storage this trip because it was just to much hassle to gas it up and get it going for my short time here.

Amsterdam has not changed as much as I thought. Local life is much the same as it's always been with the only exception that it seems much busier everywhere all the time. Just a lot more people here then there used to be I think. Lot's of new construction in the old south too.

The out pouring of support for the french is really overwhelming here. Big gatherings in every major city and nothing else on the TV. The Dutch show and tell it all. Funny to compare the Dutch TV reporting to SKY and BBC.

The BBC are shitting themselves of upsetting Muslim sensibilities!

Dimbleby admitted as much on Thursday night's 'Question Time' ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01 ... 44182.html

Peace, Des.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sat Jan 10, 3:02 pm

des wrote:
MileHighDenver wrote:Vamos A Ver was wonderful. Considered by many locals to be the best Spanish Restaurant in the city. We ate stewed Lamb, suckling pig, squid, anchovies, Chorizo sausages, potatoes bravos, mini clams, and other tasty things. Washed down with a lovely bottle of Spanish red wine. They bring a pitcher of water to the table too. A very rare thing in Amsterdam. Call for a reservation if you are going late or any busy weekend night for that matter.

Peace, Des.

the Muslim community and religious leaders better step it up and clearly make distinction between themselves and the terrorists -- really quickly. They also need to visibly join in on the fight against this terrorist sect….

I read yesterday Hezzbola has come out against the actions taken in France.
big step.

I love that the French are standing up, since there is such a large Muslim faction living there now. The Dutch too. I think it has been so cold here in NYC (exposed flesh freezes in 30 minutes) that the protests have been minimal but heart felt.

patrick

Postby patrick » Sat Jan 10, 3:45 pm

Funny stuff wc

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Jan 10, 7:34 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:
des wrote:

Peace, Des.

the Muslim community and religious leaders better step it up and clearly make distinction between themselves and the terrorists -- really quickly. They also need to visibly join in on the fight against this terrorist sect….

big step.

I love that the French are standing up, since there is such a large Muslim faction living there now. The Dutch too. I think it has been so cold here in NYC (exposed flesh freezes in 30 minutes) that the protests have been minimal but heart felt.

I've read a lot of condemnation from the wider Muslim community over the last few days!

Let's just hope that it's genuine?

Peace, Des.

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Red Pleb » Sat Jan 10, 8:37 pm

des wrote:
worldcitizen1723 wrote:
des wrote:

Peace, Des.

big step.

I've read a lot of condemnation from the wider Muslim community over the last few days!

Peace, Des.

So have I . Most of it from other European countries . Sane , genuine and heartfelt . The poor, dignified family members of the Muslim policeman , slaughtered by the criminal Islamic fascist scum , being the most poignant example .
I've said this before on here but British Muslims need to step up to the fucking plate . Im tiring of the pseudo intellectual apologists , trotted out to fill the columns of broadsheets , with mealy mouthed words . It's not good enough and gives cunts like Murdoch and Farage all the ammo they need to stoke the flames of fear and hate further .

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Sat Jan 10, 9:45 pm

That female who escaped is a hot terrorist though. I'd give her a WMD.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Sat Jan 10, 9:53 pm

Red Pleb wrote:
des wrote:
worldcitizen1723 wrote:
des wrote:

Peace, Des.

big step.

Peace, Des.

So have I . Most of it from other European countries . Sane , genuine and heartfelt . The poor, dignified family members of the Muslim policeman , slaughtered by the criminal Islamic fascist scum , being the most poignant example .
I've said this before on here but British Muslims need to step up to the fucking plate . Im tiring of the pseudo intellectual apologists , trotted out to fill the columns of broadsheets , with mealy mouthed words . It's not good enough and gives cunts like Murdoch and Farage all the ammo they need to stoke the flames of fear and hate further .

I would agree with you RP, but i think many moderate muslims are reticent to do as you wish, because of Amerika's drone program. Our involvement in countries like Yemen and Pakistan amongst others, where drones indiscriminately kills scores of women and children, in the name of collateral damage, in a war against [terrorism?]. Yet there's nothing apologetic about it coming from the christian or jewish religions, or their establishments.

All three religions need to get their acts in order!

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Sat Jan 10, 9:58 pm

not to steal mh thread . seems with the amount of wacky islamist bands roving about
it's resembling the mexican cartels trying to be more gruesome then the other

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Jan 10, 10:09 pm

alpha wrote:
Red Pleb wrote:
des wrote:
worldcitizen1723 wrote:
des wrote:

Peace, Des.

big step.

Peace, Des.

I would agree with you RP, but i think many moderate muslims are reticent to do as you wish, because of Amerika's drone program. Our involvement in countries like Yemen and Pakistan amongst others, where drones indiscriminately kills scores of women and children, in the name of collateral damage, in a war against [terrorism?]. Yet there's nothing apologetic about it coming from the christian or jewish religions, or their establishments.

All three religions need to get their acts in order!

The 'Four by Twos' are the ones feeling persecuted!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pital.html

A hundred thousand of them have left France in the last 12 months because they feel unsafe!

That is a shocking statistic!

Peace, Des.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Jan 10, 10:13 pm

smokedpeppers wrote:not to steal mh thread . seems with the amount of wacky islamist bands roving about
it's resembling the mexican cartels trying to be more gruesome then the other

Yeah, sorry MHD!

I suggest any further comment on this matter is posted in the politics section!

Peace, Des.

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Sat Jan 10, 10:48 pm

It's an intifada...

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Sat Jan 10, 11:05 pm

It'll do wonders for France's tourist industry, as if Hollande's spanner in the works hasn't done enough...Vive la France! Vive la socialisme!

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”