Mini Guldens on tour...

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Tue Sep 23, 8:33 am

Good report 27!

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Tue Sep 23, 11:07 am

Nice work indeed... memories will last a lifetime!

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Tue Sep 23, 3:23 pm

Banks wrote:Nice work indeed... memories will last a lifetime!

Not those acquisitioned while stoned I'd like to add. That's why the trip reports on channels are either missing, or very short (With the exception of WC who made daily notes, full credit to her for making the effort btw). Come next week half of you cunts will have forgotten to even spell 'fiets', like someone I can mention.

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Wed Sep 24, 2:08 am

The baby woke us up. He was smiling and wanted to play.

- Me: He is saying ‘mamá’. Please, come on, wake up and play a bit with him…
- Wife: No, he is calling you, he said ‘papá’; you wake up…

Laziness and this type of dialogues were the norm every morning of the trip.

We got out of bed and took the child to the living room where there was a high chair for him. We prepared breakfast and sat by the window sipping coffee and talking about plans for the day. -I proudly showed my belly to whoever wanted to take a peep from the street-. I love the lack of curtains in Amsterdam. It was funny being at the apartment looking out and observing who was looking in; and I admit I can’t resist to take a look inside someone else`s house when I walk by.

Another peculiarity of this city is that it is always difficult to stick to plans. I already knew that, but I tell you it is even more when you are with a little one.

Seeing the good weather, we thought it would be a good idea to take a tram to the beach at Blijburg Aan Zee, or maybe take the ferry to the NDSM Werf, but it took us that long to get ready that when we finally went out to the street, there were more clouds than sun, and it was already a bit late to go to Blijburg.

We decided that just taking a stroll around Centrum would not be a bad plan either.

Again, I almost couldn’t believe it! I was walking the streets of Amsterdam carrying my son in a backpack. Jesus! Who would have thought!

We passed by the Heineken Experience, and crossed the Wetering roundabout where we saw a pancake restaurant that had an old fashioned carrousel, and that seemed super child friendly. Being so close to the apartment, we decided we should give it a try some other day.

We walked by Mellow Yellow, and continued along Vijzelstraat until we reached the Muntplein. Right there, by the flower market, it is the NH Carlton hotel (former Jolly Carlton). We almost stayed there for this vacation. The hotel is quite dated, but it has some superior rooms with balconies which are great, but our need for a kitchen and some extra space made us chose the apartment.

While wandering around, we checked out a sneakers shop because I needed a pair, but prices were too high for my budget.

By then, we were at Reguliersbreestraat, and we ate our first kroket of the trip from the Febo shop there. We love Febo. I like the food and I like the characters you could meet late at night in their shop by the Red Light District when returning home after a night of craziness and wild abandon.

Nowadays it costs 1.60 eur a piece; I wish I was able to remember how much did cost the same satékroket back when I paid for it with gulden coins.

After this exquisite feast, we entered some souvenir shop in the same street and bought a t-shirt with the XXX flag for the baby –well, I admit I also bought one for myself-

We headed back to the Munt Toren, now carrying a white ‘Bazaar 2000 Souvenir Shop’ bag with us, and crossed the –always crowded- zebra crossing there.

As we walked Handboogstraat, I asked my wife if she could held the baby for a second while I went into Dampkring to buy some temple ball hash. - I wanted to stock up in Amsterdam before going to Delft and Utrecht, because I knew that coffeeshop menus outside Mokum are more limited regarding oriental hashis-.

My wife told me how she missed entering and having fun at a coffeeshop. (She quitted smoking cigs in 2004 -I am still a sad cigarette smoker-, and she does not drink or smoke joints since she got pregnant. –Although she will do a couple of exceptions later on the trip-)
She also told me I could have bought the sneakers I liked for almost the same price of the five gram bag I had just bought from Dampkring. (The hash was expensive at eur 16/gram).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Note for those who asked about hash in Spain: I know there is a lot of talking about Spanish cannabis clubs, but there are none that I know of in my area, so I can’t comment on that scene.
Nowadays, in my circle of friends, only two others share my interest, so I’m not too well connected these days. What we usually get here is average Moroccan, comparable to the cheapest you may find in Amsterdam coffeeshops, but cheaper. It is around 2.50/3€/gram when buying 50 grams at a time (a bit more if you are lucky to find some good polen). I live in the north, but I guess it should be easier to find better qualities living in Andalucía.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It was sunny again when we got to the Spui, and a visit to bar Hoppe is always a must in this area. Their outside seating was packed, but it was almost empty inside. I asked the barman if it was ok to stay there with the baby, and he said ‘of course, why not’.
Relieved again to see that I still could enjoy some of my Amsterdam pleasures accompanied by my son, we sat at the table at the end of the bar, near the back door and ordered alcohol free beer for the wife, and a Duvel for me. We also asked for some bitterballen that came with mustard and were very tasty, although not much different from the kroket we have had from Febo. (Bitterballen are round, and kroket are oblong; that’s all).

I love this bar. It is old and dark; there is wood everywhere and sawdust on the floor. Heren toilet is beside our table, but ladies have to go under the bar and to the other side to get to their toilet.

The baby was playing with the coasters, and I feared for the candle on the table. I told him he better behaved or Chigusa would come and get him. He did. He even ate some food we brought him, and that the waiter had kindly warmed up a bit in the microwave. We had another beer, but the place was starting to pack out, so we left.

The sun was shining again and the terraces of the bars in Spuistraat were full. I have a special affection for this street because it brings back a lot of memories of my very first trip to Amsterdam. It is in a side street off Spuistraat where the first coffeeshop i have ever visited is, the Kadinski at Rosmarijnsteeg. Spuistraat is also the location of the Magic Mushroom Gallery, the shop where i bought mushrooms for the first time, and the Vrankrijk is also here –a squat where I had many memorable nights that first trip-.

I went into Kadinski for old times sake and bought five grams of the Trans Himalaya. Not a bad deal at 48€ for 5g. My wife who was now carrying the baby in the backpack waited patiently outside while I made the transaction. Since it was just the first full day of our trip, she asked me if I might be ‘stocking up for the rest of the trip’ a bit too much.

We continued our walk along NZ Voorburgwal and I saw Abraxas, but my wife’s last comment kept me walking straight until we reached Dam Square. –I always think of Mucky Pup when I see the Krasnapolsky hotel, –The Kras-

We sat under the monument and people watched for a while remembering some past funny stories with the ‘psst, psst... xtc?, cocaine?’ guys. This time we saw none, and that made me a bit sad. They belong to the landscape of this part of Amsterdam. Hell! Bring them back! Even my nickname in Channels is in homage to them!

We headed towards Waterlooplein, but when we got there the stalls were closed. My wife –fit as a fiddle- kept walking; we crossed the Blaubrug and arrived to Rembrandtplein. By that time we were hungry, but we were not able to find any appropriate place for an early dinner (or a late lunch by Spain standards). I remembered that Café De Klos prepare food to take away, so there we went.

We ordered half original and half smoked spare ribs. The guy told us to come back twenty minutes later to pick up our food, and I took advantage of that time buying a gram of some haze in the coffeeshop two doors down the street –former Global Chilage-. I rolled and smoked a light joint there, while my wife breastfed the baby in a bench outside the laundry across the street. The twenty minutes went by, and we took our food home.

We were starving when we got to the apartment, but first we had to give dinner to the baby. We prepared him something like a couscous and he liked it. Once he took his bath, we put him to sleep, and warmed up the ribs in the oven. Ribs came with garlic butter, jacked potatoes and two dips, and we enjoyed immensely that dinner. –Simple pleasures-

Before going to bed I took out the trash to a nearby container, and I smoked a joint of the temple ball from Dampkring in the bench outside the apartment. It was some strong stuff.

Our next door neighbor arrived in his bike, and while he was opening his door, the smell of the joint made him glance down again at his new neighbor in sandals.

Buenas noches, señor…

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Wed Sep 24, 3:11 am

tickled my heart : >

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Wed Sep 24, 8:09 am

27guldens wrote:Nowadays it costs 1.60 eur a piece; I wish I was able to remember how much did cost the same satékroket back when I paid for it with gulden coins.

1.60 guilders i'd surmise, which was a lot less than 1.6 euros. However, really wonderful trip reporting, thanks=)

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Wed Sep 24, 8:35 am

Good stuff. That makes me feel better thinking about taking my 3 year old daughter in March.

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: with his mouth full of teddies, jumbo's urinating seems defiant.

Postby chigusa » Wed Sep 24, 9:11 am

27guldens wrote:I told him he better behaved or Chigusa would come and get him.

that made me smile so much. i'm really pleased that your trip has benefitted from the presence of your son. i had a small but definite emotional reaction to your toting him around Amsterdam strapped to your back, nice one.
that dad stuff must be scary as fuck sometimes.

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Red Pleb » Wed Sep 24, 1:03 pm

Another smashing read 27 . I share your affection for Spui and it's cafes and bars, particularly Hoppe . I've also been asked by a former Mrs RP if it was really necessary to ' stock up ' with such regularity . Kid in candy store , and all that ! I've found September to be particularly kind with regards the weather . Glad it's held for you . It makes so much difference .

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hobie » Wed Sep 24, 1:42 pm

Guildens , Have you stopped by the Asoka or North Church Market .

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Thu Sep 25, 1:17 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:tickled my heart : >

Thank you! I am in debt to you for your trip reports all these years.

alpha wrote:1.60 guilders i'd surmise, which was a lot less than 1.6 euros. However, really wonderful trip reporting, thanks=)

Thanks, Alpha :)

MikeFromTx wrote:That makes me feel better thinking about taking my 3 year old daughter in March.

Do it! And I hope you are as lucky with the weather as we were. As Red Pleb said, it makes a big difference.

chigusa wrote:that made me smile so much. i'm really pleased that your trip has benefitted from the presence of your son. i had a small but definite emotional reaction to your toting him around Amsterdam strapped to your back, nice one.

Well, let’s not start sucking each other’s dicks quite yet, but I really appreciate this.

Red Pleb wrote: Kid in candy store

A girl in Katsu literally said that to me. (I’ll write about it if I can continue the report); and thank you.

Hobie wrote:Guildens , Have you stopped by the Asoka or North Church Market .

No Hobie. Although we tried to make the most of our time, it always took us a lot of time to get ready in the mornings, and there were many places in our plans that we could not check out (Noordermarkt, Blijburg, Dappermarkt, Beatrixpark…)

Again, thanks all for your interest. I don’t know when will I be able to continue the report (it takes me quite long, and I have very little free time these days), but I’ll try.

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Tue Oct 07, 10:44 pm

This was an example of a poor attempt of writing a trip report.

In november we'll be having another holiday in Lanzarote and Fuerteventura -again with the baby-. Hopefully, i'll have some free time then or before, and even with so much delay, i will have the decency to finish this.

It is a personal goal to achieve;-)

slybear
power poster
power poster

Postby slybear » Thu Oct 16, 11:23 pm

Great report. Thanks.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Oct 16, 11:44 pm

you can do it! : >

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Sun Oct 19, 1:51 am

We woke up to another beautiful day.

I had my morning coffee and a stroopwafel in the back patio trying to avoid the spider webs.

Our neighbors were playing some nice mellow music and the sun was shining. I was starting to feel more confident about smoking weed and dealing with the baby, so i rolled a joint with the rest of the haze from yesterday, but i could not finish it because my wife gave me 'that' look. She was with the baby having breakfast inside the kitchen, while i was smoking pot outside in my undies.

Before coming on this trip she told me she feared that too much cannabis might make me evade my responsibilities, so i knew what she meant with 'that' look.

I switched the 'stoner mode' off, and prepared a vegetable purée for the baby while the wife got him dressed. A quick shower and we were ready. Today we took the push chair instead of the backpack to carry mini guldens around.

We walked Ferdinand Bolstraat towards the Albert Cuyp market, and i saw a post office shop which would come handy later on the trip. The market was not too crowded, and we could manoeuvre the stroller among the people without hitting anybody.

De Pijp is a very nice area; maybe not as picturesque as other parts of Amsterdam, because there are no canals, but i definitely like its vibe.
We stopped for a drink in a café by Gerard Douplein. The terraces were full of dutch people looking at the sun with eyes closed and trying to get a tan.

We were surprised to see residents that took tables and chairs outside their homes to the street and sat there enjoying the good weather. I saw it various times, and in different parts of town. They were there with a carefree attitude: drinking coffee or having a glass of wine, just like the people –who always makes me envious- that you see sailing the canals on their boats and having a party aboard, but on-shore.
It reminded me when I was a child and we visited my grandma in Andalucía. Everybody did that. They took chairs outside, they even took their televisions outside; it seemed that they lived on the streets. Although in Amsterdam, they made it in a hipper way, and people were not as loud as my family and friends acted.

We decided to take a tram and go to Westerpark to spend the rest of the day, but before, we took a quick detour to Katsu for a buy and fly.

I have always liked this shop, and i have fond memories of an evening session with their verdamper vaporizer some years ago, back when my wife smoked as much as me.

They have done some refurbishments to the shop, but it is still a nice chilled place.
When i entered, there was only one other customer there, and she was chatting to the budtender woman, so i took my time looking at the menu. As i was doing so, they told me that i looked like a child in a candy store, but then they seemed a bit shocked when i ordered a hundred euro worth of their cristal clear hash -that pays for 2,80 grams-. They changed their discourse and asked me if i had been there before. I answered yes, many times, and that i also knew what i was buying (i always mail some of this stuff back home, but i didn't told them that). The other woman told me she was working in another coffee shop, but i couldn't understand the name of the place. They were speaking in English, but very fast, and i had to make an effort to follow the conversation.

Anyway, my mini-family was waiting outside, so i apologized and said good bye.

We walked to the number 10 tram stop, and again passed by the Carrousel Pancake restaurant in the Weteringsch roundabout. We reminded ourselves that we should try it some other day.

A blue tram took us along Marnixtraat, and from the tram window we saw the Maloe Melo, and the Korsakoff club across the canal. Again, such good memories from past trips! I also spotted 1e Hulp coffeeshop, which I’d never been to, and i made a mental note for a possible quick stop there on our way back.

We got off the tram at the last stop of the line, which is very close to Westerpark, but by mistake, we walked in the opposite direction and got stupidly lost.

The good part was that, by chance, we found a very nice restaurant with a terrace on a narrow canal, and it was lunch time.

The restaurant is called Cafe Restaurant Amsterdam (very original!). Their address is Watertorenplein 6, and it is in an old beautiful building, with ample interiors and high ceilings.

We ate outside in the terrace -hamburgers and salads-, although their menu is not that limited, they also had some seafood and steaks on offer. Overall, it was an ok meal in a very nice and child-friendly setting. (They heated the purée for the baby, and brought it in a plate, instead of the tupperware we use for this matter).

By the time i finished my after lunch double espresso the sky was turning grey, but there was still a very nice temperature, so we paid the bill and went to Westerpark for a stroll –this time we headed on the right direction-

The baby took a long nap in the pushchair, and i was able to smoke a joint during our walk.
We wandered around the park for about an hour and then went to check out a place that i wanted to visit, the Buurtboerderij Ons Genoegen. It is a café in a farm with a 'hippy' background to it. It has a nice outdoor area, and it is not expensive for food and drinks. There were torches and we saw the remains of a bonfire, and chairs around it, so i guess it may be a cozy place at night time.

The farm is a bit hidden. You have to cross Westerpark in the direction of the Santa Barbara Cementery, and then turn left to find it.

http://www.buurtboerderij.nl/

We had a good time there playing with the baby in the grass.

After the farm we went to the Westergasfabriek, and had a couple of beers in the Westergasterras.
To my surprise they had a baby changing station in the toilet -I was not hoping to find many of these in a place with so reduced indoor spaces as Amsterdam-

** Regarding Amsterdam toilets, i think they deserve a report on itself.

Those mini washbasins where you hardly can place a hand under the tap without flooding the whole place, and those urinals for giants -or at least not for us, little spaniard- that sometimes force me to pee in an upward vertical shot due to the urinals placed too high in the wall for my height.
And what about those toilet bowls? Why do they need to have that shelf so close under the ass? What is the purpose of that? Is it a way for the dutchies to take a close look and examine their faeces each time they take a shit? Jesus! Sometimes, when I was using one of those, I got worried my own shit might brush against my ass.

Excuse me for this scatological delirium, but i think you'll understand if you know which kind of toilet i am talking about.

Anyway, it was getting late, and we had yet to cook something for the baby for dinner, so we finished our drinks and took tram 10 back home.

The wife was not in the mood for more coffeeshopping, so i waived bye-bye to 1 Hulp coffeeshop from the window of the tram-, but at least she agreed to get off the tram in Leidseplein, and walk to the apartment from there.

Although we missed the bike rides, we were both happy with the decision of not renting this time. It would have been too dangerous to carry the small one on the handle-bar. I am always amazed how confident the locals seem riding their bikes while carrying their children on all possible ways.

Maybe, we will give it a try later on the trip, in Delft, in a safer environment.

We moved away from the crowds, and I smoked a joint with a big spaghetti bar of hash inside. I was feeling great.

We crossed the bridge over the Lijnbaansgrach, and we walked to the apartment crossing the Rijksmuseum.
It was getting dark and we needed to buy some groceries. I offered myself to stop by the supermarket and do the shopping, so the wife and the baby could go home.

When I got to the apartment, I realized I forgot to buy two of the five things I should have bought, and I have brought unnecessary munchies and unnecessary 10 degrees beers.
Of course, my wife gave me ‘that’ look again, but at the same time she could not help to laugh a lot.

We put the baby to sleep and cooked a 'tortilla de patatas' for our dinner,

Earlier, we had seen a Spanish tapas restaurant in the neighbourhood that was packed (Barna, or Barcelona, or something like that it was called), and we fantasized about winning the lottery and opening our own bar/restaurant in Amsterdam: The Gulden Bar,The Guldenmeester, Gulden to Walk, Kantjil & De Gulden... I smoked one last joint in the bench outside thinking about the perfect name for my business.

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Sun Oct 19, 2:58 am

Pretty fuckin' sweet, Gully.

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Sun Oct 19, 2:59 am

One of the best trip reports!...thank you!

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Oct 19, 3:24 am

most excellent! was worth the wait!! : >
thank you

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Sun Oct 19, 3:28 am

Another great report 27guldens, hope you can keep them coming, when you can.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sun Oct 19, 5:43 pm

Awesome report..."scatological delirium" +10

Oh, BTW, dreams can come true...stop by the Ukulele shop and see that lady from Florida. (sorry, I forgot her name).

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Red Pleb » Sun Oct 19, 6:30 pm

" that look " ;-) Played , 27 .

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Sun Oct 19, 7:09 pm

27guldens wrote:She was with the baby having breakfast inside the kitchen, while i was smoking pot outside in my undies.

lol.

Good report, funny. Your 'situation' reminds me of a great film I saw recently... I'm into punk rock and it's basically about that point of life where you have children and 'need to take responsibility' - punks leaving their wild lifestyles behind. You might enjoy it: http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1790867/

Funny about the 'shit shelf'. Yeah, it's to inspect your shit. Not really something i'd be into. They are throughout Germany too. I'm always terrified of the splashback ;)

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Sun Oct 19, 9:37 pm

I've always thought that the only advantage of them is that you get no splashback, but without wishing to be indelicate, there's a good reason that it's immediately submerged in water.

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Mon Oct 20, 5:26 am

Great report!

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: with his mouth full of teddies, jumbo's urinating seems defiant.

Postby chigusa » Mon Oct 20, 9:54 am

sit the wrong way round on the lavatory and you can really put the cat among the pigeons.

on a side note. i went in mcds for a macpiss with lies yesterday and used a waterless urinal. what the fuck is going on there? there was no smell of piss or staining of any kind on the bowl.
i was so impressed that i very nearly stayed for lunch.

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Mon Oct 20, 9:10 pm

A nifty little trick with those inhuman shelf toilets is once the first load is dumped, lift your arse a few inches above the bog and press the flush button just enough to swill it away. You can then enjoy a leisurely shit without the noxious fumes permeating straight up each nostril. I'm not being funny but I've seen a few salami for breakfast eating Dutchmen come from the bog at work and the stench hangs on them for a good half hour afterwards, and their breath is something else...Nice report by the way 27Guldens...

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Mon Apr 06, 11:02 pm

I've just bought a nice chunk of black hash. It is quite rare around here, and it made me think of Amsterdam.

It has been seven months sice the trip, and many things have happened.

I've sold my car and bought a new one; i have changed functions at work; my father passed away, and the baby has turned into the tasmanian devil ;-)
And although i barely have time, i try to keep up reading the forum.

And although i feel a bit embarrassed about my attempt to write a report, i have yet to finish this one; once and for all, and live the trip twice.

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hobie » Mon Apr 06, 11:39 pm

Sorry about yr Dad , have fun with the kid and Go Slow ... stop and smell the roses

n` check yr oil ...

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Tue Apr 07, 12:13 am

27guldens wrote:I've just bought a nice chunk of black hash. It is quite rare around here, and it made me think of Amsterdam.

It has been seven months sice the trip, and many things have happened.

I've sold my car and bought a new one; i have changed functions at work; my father passed away, and the baby has turned into the tasmanian devil ;-)
And although i barely have time, i try to keep up reading the forum.

And although i feel a bit embarrassed about my attempt to write a report, i have yet to finish this one; once and for all, and live the trip twice.

Second that about your dad. Sad news indeed.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Tue Apr 07, 12:23 am

Commiserations on your pops.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”