Mini Guldens on tour...

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Mini Guldens on tour...

Postby 27guldens » Sat Sep 20, 7:35 pm

***** DISCLAIMER: you all know English is not my language. Excuse my mistakes with verb tenses and sentence structures, and i'm sorry for the lack of ingenuity and substance. I have no literacy skills, but this would not be so namby-pamby if you could all read Spanish *****

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to admit i was a bit concerned before this trip.

Even though we had travelled a bit around Spain with the baby -we even took him in a plane to Tenerife when he was only 2 months old-, this was our first time abroad with him, and reading WC's reports before our departure i got worried that too much rain might ruin our holidays, and that i would have to tell everyone who thought we were crazy going to the NL with a 12 month old that they were right, and that i should have chosen a family resort in the sun instead of Amsty... but hey, no... the trip went great.

The last time we had been to Amsterdam, was in november 2009, so it had been quite a long time since our last visit, and on that last ocassion we were there only for three nights -it was a stop over flying back from Japan-. (It was then when we met Winnie, and -briefly- Tak and Holly).

I agree that nowadays the vibe in Amsterdam is not the same that what it was like in my first visits back in the nineties, but for me it is still a unique place, and i was very excited to return; but this time it was going to be very different. I had to think and re-think all the logistics because i was not sure how would we manage with the baby -how will the accomodations be like? Will we manage to move around with the push chair using public transport?, and what about the food for the little one?

There are no direct flights to Amsterdam from my place, and we didn`t want to fly to Madrid or Barcelona and change planes, so we drove three hours to Bilbao instead, booked an airport hotel for the night, and flew from there the next morning.
It was an easy two hours flight and the baby slept all the way. One of my worries was losing the luggage. Besides the backpack i was carrying as hand luggage, we checked a big wheeled suitcase, a small one, and they also made us check the pushchair (a smallish buggy).
We arrived to Schiphol. The two suitcases emerged together from the conveyor belt, but the pushchair was missed. Well, keep calm, we also have a backpack to transport the baby, and in the worst case, we could always buy a cheap stroller on the go.
I went to the baggage claim office. It was not lost. At the other end of the hall there is a conveyor belt for the special luggage and our chair was spinning around there. Sorted!

We went to the NS counter to buy the OV Chipcards. Usually, we rent cars for the side trips when we travel, but it is a nonsense to do so in the Netherlands.
I had read about the ov chipcard, and it seemed the best option for us. It is valid on all means of transports in the NL, and you do not need to buy tickets for each trip, just load credit on the card and remember to check in and out with it.
We loaded eur 100 on each ov card. They didn`t take my credit card, nor my debit. (I was warned about this, so i had some cash on me). My wife does not speak English, so it is always me who has to deal with everyone on all occasions, and my spoken English is much worst than written, but this one was an easy transaction: buy the card, load credit, activate it to travel 2nd class on trains and you are ready. It is possible to do this on the machines, but i preferred to start praticing my english with the kind NS employee.

Our apartment was in De Pijp, very close to Marie Heinekenplein. I phoned the owner to tell him we were already in the airport, so he knew we were arriving on time. He suggested that we took a cab with all the luggage, and i was tempted, but we chose to take bus 197 instead and save the 50 eur of the taxi fare. I think the bus (paying with the ov chipcard) was only 3 eur. Fortunately, it was not too crowded and we could accomodate the luggage and the pushchair. Half an hour later we got off the bus by the Rijksmuseum, and from there it took us 10 minutes to walk to the apartment.

It was a sunny sunday. The Museumplein was packed with people enjoing the nice weather, and there were a lot of families with kids. We made our way to the apart, watching out not to get hit by the bikes.
The baby seemed very happy and had his eyes wide open. It was funny to listen to him saying 'agua, agua!! ' each time he saw a canal. ('Agua' means water in Spanish. It is one of the few words he can say, and even though it was very funny the first times, we got a bit tired with him saying it all the time for the whole trip like a scratched record).

We met the owner at the apartment door. He seemed a nice chap. He gave us two museumkaarts for us to use with free admision to most of the museums. The apartment was nice, although a bit dark, and a bit smelly because of the zillions of spices he had in the kitchen wardrobes, but besides that, it was very clean. It consisted of a master bedroom, a small bedroom (that we didn`t use), a good kitchen, modern toilet and shower, a spacious living room, and it even had a crib for the baby. It was on the ground floor, and it had a patio/garden on the back, and a bench on the street by the front door, that were excellent for my smoking. The wifi signal was strong, and i loved the location of the apartment. It was not cheap, but we were happy with it.

We unpacked the suitcase (the wardrobes were so full of personal items from the owner that we barely could place our own stuff anywhere), and we headed out to the Dirk Van Den Broek supermarket at the Marie Heinekenplein to stock up for the next five nights (beer, cheese, hams, pasta, wine, rice, humus, bread, coffee, diappers, wipes, fruit, vegetables, fish, lentils and chicken to cook for us and the baby). After buying the groceries, we had a drink under the sun at one of the many terraces in the Marie Heineken Plein, and the waiters were very kind with the baby (i felt relieved and really enjoyed that first pint of the trip). After that, we came back to the apartment, and while my wife stayed there bathing the child, i went out to coffeeshop Media to do my first purchases.

Media was three minutes walking from the apartment, and I had never been there before. I wanted to take it easy with the smoke at first, so i just bought a couple of grams of their cheapest afghan and nepalese hashes. There was quite a long queue, mostly locals buying prerolled joints, and paying with debit cards. (Again, i could not use my debit mastercard. They just took Dutch debit maestro cards).
The budtender girl was very nice. (Maybe we were just lucky, but this trip i noticed the service at bars/restaurants/coffeeshops was generally better than other times. I didn't find any rude characters, service was usually fast and efficient, and many places welcomed us with a smile, and wished us a 'nice day' when leaving -i always see that when travelling in the US, but i don`t recall that in previous visits to Amsterdam).

When i got back to the apartment, we had dinner and put the baby to sleep. Wife was tired and also went to bed, so it was time for my first joint of the trip.

I smoked it in the patio under the stars, and i thought about how my life had changed. All my previous trips -with the wife, the mates, or both- were mostly party-oriented (mushrooms, night clubs, loads of smoke, live music, lots of drinking, and squat bars)- This time it felt really special being in a city that i love that much in the company of my baby son. I couldn't hardly believe how fast time runs, but, again, my English lacks of adjetives to describe that 'philosophical' moment.

I smoked another joint, had a glass of red wine, and went to bed. The mattress was very comfy and the wife had taken the baby out of the crib and put him with us on the bed.
Due to the excitement of the day, it took me some time to fall sleep.

I was very happy.

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Sat Sep 20, 7:56 pm

namby-pamby, Cabròn.

¡ más excelente !

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Sat Sep 20, 8:00 pm

Splendid report....thank you!

Please don't sleep with an infant in bed with you...high risk my friend.

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Red Pleb » Sat Sep 20, 8:09 pm

Well done for taking junior with you and still getting the Dam vibe . I waited till teen years before either of mine came with me !

Nice report . Hope we get some more .

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Sat Sep 20, 9:04 pm

Drugs and babies don't mix compadre!

octafish
power poster
power poster

Postby octafish » Sun Sep 21, 12:54 am

boneymaroni wrote:Splendid report....thank you!

Seconded, and no need for the disclaimer, your english is better than many english.

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Sun Sep 21, 3:08 am

Bravo Genta!

Sweet report!

Sleeping in bed with a child is something everyone does. It's a lovely bonding time and especially on vacation to comfort all three of you in a foreign environment. What a wonderful memory!

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sun Sep 21, 6:09 am

What were the hashes like that you sampled? ... Most of the black resin I've tried in Amsterdam has been disappointing!

The one exception was the Temple Ball I scored at The Rusland, which was absolutely knockout stuff!

Your English is excellent, by the way!

Peace, Des.

Hammer
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hammer » Sun Sep 21, 10:27 am

chichi123 wrote:Bravo Genta!

Sweet report!

Sleeping in bed with a child is something everyone does. It's a lovely bonding time and especially on vacation to comfort all three of you in a foreign environment. What a wonderful memory!

I think there is a big difference between an infant and a child. A child is usually between 3 and 12, although we have an obnoxious one whom is the channels drunk.

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Sun Sep 21, 11:07 am

a bollocks wrote:namby-pamby, Cabròn.
¡ más excelente !

Gracias, … cabronazo!

Red Pleb wrote:Well done for taking junior with you and still getting the Dam vibe . I waited till teen years before either of mine came with me !
Nice report . Hope we get some more .

Thanks RP. In my case, i might be dead if I wait till teen years to take him to Amsterdam, ;-).
I guess you were the same age then when you took your teens, as I am now. I waited too long to have a baby.

Mokum Dream wrote:Drugs and babies don't mix compadre!

Shez, we were just a family on vacation; we were not shooting Trainspotting 2, but that would be a nice slogan for a t-shirt

octafish wrote:
boneymaroni wrote:Splendid report....thank you!

Seconded, and no need for the disclaimer, your english is better than many english.

Thank you both. I know co-sleeping with babies is a practice that may have a risk of suffocation, and has a lot of detractors in some parts of the world (even here), but there are also a lot of theories and studies that support the practice, and that states it brings some advantages for the child . I don’t know, we just try to do it the best that we can in a natural way.

chichi123 wrote:Sweet report!
Sleeping in bed with a child is something everyone does. It's a lovely bonding time and especially on vacation

Thanks Cheech. I agree. We also do it at home. It is like 50/50. We put him on the crib, but when the baby wakes up in the middle of the night, she take him to bed to breast feed him, and then he stays with us for the rest of the night. We are happy like this the three of us.

des wrote:What were the hashes like that you sampled? ... Most of the black resin I've tried in Amsterdam has been disappointing!
Peace, Des.

I sampled a lot of blacks, which are the ones that I can not find at home, and most of them were average quality. Not shit, but nothing outstanding neither. There were a couple exceptions, but those where more than 15€ a gram (I’ll write about them later). I don’t know if the quality of imported hash in Amsterdam has decreased, or if it is just that my tolerance levels has gone up.

Thanks all for your interest. It takes me a lot of time to put some paragraphs together, but I’ll try to continue this.

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Sun Sep 21, 11:58 am

27guldens wrote:[
I sampled a lot of blacks, .

So did my friend back in '98...he shagged one for 3 pounds!

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Sun Sep 21, 12:23 pm

We used to be pretty spoiled for hash in Britain, but we could never get hold of decent weed. Even in the small town I grew up in, I could easily get my hands on Red Seal, Gold Seal, I even saw Honey and Pollen now and again. All good North African hashes.

Since the rise of home-grown towards the end of the 1990s and the war on drugs, most of what we see here is weed and now it's all high-cannabinoid skunk and bud. This coincided with my stopping smoking pot full. I suppose I just don't like the effects of bud.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sun Sep 21, 1:17 pm

Dazzler wrote:We used to be pretty spoiled for hash in Britain, but we could never get hold of decent weed. Even in the small town I grew up in, I could easily get my hands on Red Seal, Gold Seal, I even saw Honey and Pollen now and again. All good North African hashes.

Since the rise of home-grown towards the end of the 1990s and the war on drugs, most of what we see here is weed and now it's all high-cannabinoid skunk and bud. This coincided with my stopping smoking pot full. I suppose I just don't like the effects of bud.

I hear ya, bro! I miss the days when genuine unadulterated hashes from all over the World were freely available in the UK!

Anyone else here old enough to remember Kashmiri, Zero Zero and the wonderful Red Leb?

Shit seemed to change overnight, and I've never got a satisfactory answer when I've queried WTF happened?

Peace, Des.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sun Sep 21, 1:26 pm

27guldens wrote:I sampled a lot of blacks, which are the ones that I can not find at home, and most of them were average quality. Not shit, but nothing outstanding neither. There were a couple exceptions, but those where more than 15€ a gram (I’ll write about them later). I don’t know if the quality of imported hash in Amsterdam has decreased, or if it is just that my tolerance levels has gone up.

What's the situation regarding hash in Spain, 27guldens?

Can you still get decent Moroccan or have you too been afflicted with the curse of the soapbar?

Peace, Des.

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Sun Sep 21, 1:26 pm

des wrote:
Dazzler wrote:We used to be pretty spoiled for hash in Britain, but we could never get hold of decent weed. Even in the small town I grew up in, I could easily get my hands on Red Seal, Gold Seal, I even saw Honey and Pollen now and again. All good North African hashes.

I hear ya, bro! I miss the days when genuine unadulterated hashes from all over the World were freely available in the UK!

Anyone else here old enough to remember Kashmiri, Zero Zero and the wonderful Red Leb?

Shit seemed to change overnight, and I've never got a satisfactory answer when I've queried WTF happened?

Peace, Des.

Hash importation was only carried out to fund the global jihad and takeover of Western societies...there are enough of them over here now so all you get is soapbar.

Red Pleb
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Red Pleb » Sun Sep 21, 1:36 pm

The age of quality hashish in the Uk ended in the early 90's , when low rent pikey crooks decided that they'd get on the gravy train by adulterating everything from the Rif valley to Nepal . Dope became mainstream and lost all it's remaining exoticism. I haven't bought black hash anywhere in Europe for years and years .

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Sun Sep 21, 1:47 pm

I agree, the best hash I've ever smoked was some paki black when I was 13 years old...

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Sun Sep 21, 1:51 pm

But the double zero from coffeeshop break in Utrecht used to hit the spot nicely on a Sunday morning...

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sun Sep 21, 2:10 pm

Mokum Dream wrote:
des wrote:

Peace, Des.

Hash importation was only carried out to fund the global jihad and takeover of Western societies...there are enough of them over here now so all you get is soapbar.

Was there a global Islamic terrorist network back in the mid-Nineties?

Peace, Des.

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Sun Sep 21, 2:15 pm

des wrote:
Mokum Dream wrote:
des wrote:

Peace, Des.

Was there a global Islamic terrorist network back in the mid-Nineties?

Peace, Des.

There has been since the year 600

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sun Sep 21, 4:03 pm

Oxymoronic phrase: "but, again, my English lacks of adjectives to describe that 'philosophical'moment."

Muchos gracias amigo! Nice report.

Nobody would have said anything if you had said "I had a couple of glasses of wine on the terrace before retiring" Hypocrites!

Both of my kids spent many a night in the "family bed" once they were able to get out of their cribs. I agree though that newborns should not do this.

Shezzby, no need to drag a report about a family vacation into your own private gutter...fuck off.

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Sun Sep 21, 4:09 pm

fuck off dim

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hobie » Sun Sep 21, 7:07 pm

Im looking forward to your photos Guildens as your one of the best with a camera . . . also nice read amigo` !

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Sun Sep 21, 8:39 pm

Oh dim, oh dim, oh dim ooooooohhhhh DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMM!

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Sun Sep 21, 8:40 pm

He;ll threaten to kick my ass now lol

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Postby bogart » Sun Sep 21, 9:22 pm

Usted Angais es excellente. Usted es HIRED. No Mamby Pamby.

patrick

Postby patrick » Sun Sep 21, 10:44 pm

Like he said, fuck off dim

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Mon Sep 22, 2:09 am

wonderful report. i think you captured
'that philosophical moment' perfectly!

thanks for taking the time and effort!
Please continue! : >

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Mon Sep 22, 7:05 am

Yes a great report 27guldens and hope to hear more! However, i too would like to hear the kinds of hash you encounter in Spain? Are they better than what you had while in Amsterdam?

NewYork, New York
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby NewYork, New York » Mon Sep 22, 5:50 pm

Nice report 27 Guldens.

You have no need to make excuses for your English.
Well written and easy to understand.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”