WC. 2014 #12

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

WC. 2014 #12

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Wed Aug 20, 7:50 am

Day 12

It' the Saturday market day

It's a big deal, cause it happens directly outside of the boat.

We take the dog to 137
He really has acquired an expectation of going out some place more than just his normal walk. The skies are iffy., But, heck it's only rain, it'll work out
Get inside 137 and the skies open up
Blessed perfect timing
The three of us get cozy in the corner
And talk about everything under the sun
The mate muses wondering how others perceive us
A curious thought
With an answer one will never know

The place is
Busy and full. Well heck, it's pouring out, of course it would be full.
A group or 6 Italian 20 somethings that occupied a large table in the back leave.
A blond girl from the group comes back inside and walks over to us
She asks if she can take our picture
She bows her head and says apologetically - I am not a professional
But I would really like a picture of you 2. You are such a beautiful couple.

What do you say? no? Haven't you heard my theme song?
So she takes our picture

After she left we laughed out loud

The Rain stops
Want to get home
Gotta post
Want to do it early today because we are going to Haarlem to spend the afternoon and evening with Shaman-E and his beautiful lady E

The challenge at central station is finding a place to park the bikes. Like riding around a full car lot. Finally under the bridge to the left there is space

Take the train to Haarlem and they are waiting for us. We drive (yup, drive!) to indica where we settle in for drinks and more history sharing with a side of laughter.

After we drive to their fantastic flat. There is even a really sweet garden that Ms E has carefully planted with a variety of flowers and herbs

She then proceeds to stuff us with her home made creations, which included Black Forest cake and vanilla custard. We smoked, talked and laughed the afternoon away. Kindred spirits are always a joy.

We left and were given instructions and change to catch the bus on the corner. We were told it would show up at 7:41. We were also told it was a small bus and perhaps we would need to wave. We had about 4 minutes to get there. We were there at 7:39. We are high, very high. We do not see anything that looks like a bus..they said it was small... Maybe it's a van....maybe we need to start waving down anything bigger than a car. We are laughing hysterically and figure it is the wave...we need to know the secret wave. We begin trying out different style waves
To catch a bus. We must look insane... But we are having a great time, laughing so much I can hardly breath. We check the clock. It is 7:51. Humm did we miss the bus? Maybe we should look at the schedule....opps - the bus schedule is different on Saturday - the bus passed thru at 7:34. We had missed it! The next one would come by in an hour.

At least it wasn't a defective bus wave!

We stand on the outskirts of Haarlem wondering what to do. We decide to walk in the direction of town, we could call a cab, but that is just too safe and easy. We walk. It is one of those windy thick clouded days, where rain can begin and stop multiple times. It darkens,threatens, spritzes - but no big rain. The walk is nice, we both enjoy the sensation of not knowing exactly where we are. We see houses and architecture that we would have missed on the bus. We need to get back to the dog...but as we near the train station, we can hear music. It is the last night of the Haarlem Jazz Festival.. We rationalize that we can walk to the town square, for just a bit- heck isn't this a once in a lifetime opportunity. (Shit, with that way of thinking - EVERYTHING is a once in a lifetime opportunity!)

We wander thru the sweet streets of Haarlem to the center, guided by the tower of the kerk. The music is great. The sound is great. The set up is great. There is a stage with a huge screen to view the acts. The center square is open with food and drink carts on the perimeter. The square is full, but not cramped, people are milling around. It is a big party. I can understand why they don't want more tourists. It is great just the way it is. The size fits the community. There is no grasping for space fighting to see or enjoy. It is easy, social, simple. And it seems that almost the entire village is here. We would love to spend the entire evening...but we are responsible pet servants so we leave to cater to the needs of our furry master. The train ride back is simple. The bike ride home is a delight A light drizzled sprinkle moistens the
cool and crisp night air.

Back at the boat I take the dog for a walk in the noordemarkt ( I pinch myself, this is the best dream ever) the mate pulls a meal together
It will be a late meal
But, so what.

I am finally fully here

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: with his mouth full of teddies, jumbo's urinating seems defiant.

Re: WC. 2014 #12

Postby chigusa » Wed Aug 20, 8:41 am

worldcitizen1723 wrote:I am finally fully here

thank fuck for that.
is there something about you and your bloke that you've never told us?

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: WC. 2014 #12

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Wed Aug 20, 8:43 am

chigusa wrote:
worldcitizen1723 wrote:I am finally fully here

thank fuck for that.
is there something about you and your bloke that you've never told us?

Aliens with space time issues?!

Don't you experience that - felling spread too thin with pieces of you scattered about the planet? It becomes an issue for me, when patterns of daily functioning are disrupted

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chigusa » Wed Aug 20, 8:52 am

no, i'm interested in why the artistic eye seems drawn to you, this is not the first time you've been stopped and photographed in Amsterdam. you're both theatrical types aren't you, been on the stage and that?

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chigusa » Wed Aug 20, 8:54 am

time is always an arsehole, I fucking hate the stuff.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Wed Aug 20, 9:21 am

chigusa wrote:no, i'm interested in why the artistic eye seems drawn to you, this is not the first time you've been stopped and photographed in Amsterdam. you're both theatrical types aren't you, been on the stage and that?

Yeah
Theatrical types, a bit eccentric in appearance, difficult to tell from the inside how eccentric we appear.
Enough off center to attract the characters of Amsterdam and ward off most others...except at Barney's lounge!

Actually if you have noticed there used to be a lot of 'creativity' displayed in appearance in the old days in Amsterdam. These days not so much - but ANY
uniquely attired folk ( you know the guy In a plaid suit or the lady with an outlandish costume will immediately give a smile a wave or want to chat us up.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”