WC #7 2014

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

WC #7 2014

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri Aug 15, 9:08 am

Wake up to Less blood
We are looking at teaspoons instead of tablespoons

Breakfast on the porch in the sun

I think it will be a beautiful day
Although

The weather report says it will rain all afternoon plus there is a storm alert

There has been one for the past 2 days... None the less rain has been minimal

The dog so wants to go somewhere
He has been cooped up in the house for the last couple of days

It's Monday clothes market day, so much happening right outside our door. Mate is off in search of a fall jacket

Me and the dog decide to stroll over to 137 for our people and dog watching
It's a great location
People with maps walking back and forth
Going one way and 3 minutes later realizing they are going the wrong way

What is noticeable is that there are a lot more families with young children visiting Amsterdam. Guess all those family friendly commercials have paid off. Except that the kids under 10 are looking so bored and disinterested....being dragged around in one big museum. Parents look harassed with mangled maps and tight jaws - no one appears to be having a good time. Then there are the righteous 11 and 12 year olds. Who walk around like arrogant miniature adults making faces of disgust as they walk pass coffeeshops. And then of course there are those 13 to 17 year olds - those are the ones with the fore lorn stares and the please save me glances while shooting daggers behind their parents backs. I liked it better when they were not around.

Mate meets us at 137 with his new acquisition, an oiled cloth Dutch Jacket, like the one he got last year only this one is lighter, better for fall weather.

We stroll the backstreets of the Jordaan...
Back into the market

Just swoop up the dog under my arm
And wend my way to the boat

After a bit of a rest

We get our bikes and Ride to Vondel park
Go around the park 2 times
Then decide to stop at Vondel park 3 it used to be the Vertical Cafe but that closed. the space has been under renovation for a number of years and is newly reopened. Descent outdoor eating on a sunny windy, actually very windy Amsterdam day.

There is so much wind at one point on our ride to the park there was a moment between me and the wind
I was held absolutely motionless on the bike as I pedaled forward and the wind pushed back. The wind relented and I was able to move

After a nice bit of food we decide to go for one more time around the park

as we exit the park the skies opened up.
My inclination would have been to just keep riding and get soaked. but the mate yells at me to find a place to pull over. Immediately to my right I spot an empty awning. We grab it, stand and wait. maybe 13 to 15 minutes as the rain pours down in buckets. Then it stops and the sun shines. We get back on our bikes, dry and comfortable. Humm. Make a mental note - this was a good idea (the getting out of the rain and waiting) maybe I should listen to the mate more often! : >

On our way again and the mate once again yells to me ( I always lead the way) 'Paradox.' I say let's get to the next corner and I can get my bearings. We stop, I look Round and say - lock up the bike. It's right around the corner. Sweet. We sit down to enjoy some smoke. The owner is there we exchange greetings
Place is empty except for 2 young good looking guys and a 20 something young girl.
Turns out they are Actors from
various parts of Canada
The guys were friends of a friend, she had just met the guys and they were crashing in her apartment for a couple of days
One guy was an actor in the play war horse in Germany the other was a friend visiting. She had been part of the boom Chicago crew and was working as a waitress somewhere.

Since we were theatre folk in a tangent of this life we had to out ourselves. The kids were thoughtful and intelligent - we had a rousing theatrical and political discussion with the owner of Paradox chiming in as our voices filled the entire place. Eventually some customers came in and it all calmed down. As I toked on my pipe they called out and invited us to join them in a Canadian card game called 'fucked up stoner'. We did and shared a lot of laughs with them. Funny game with rules that kept getting added. If I had not needed to leave and post I could have kicked ass with this game. As it was we only got to play one hand (it used 4 decks!)......and I lost. ya know there's a learning curve, and of course the luck of the draw...those are not excuses!

To be honest, I totally forgot about needing to post, if the mate hadn't reminded me, I would have totally skipped it

I worked and the Mate napped

Once completed we got on bikes and rode to amnesia
Played pinball arcade on my ipad

I really love the Pinball Arcade App. There are some great old machines that have been brought back to life in digital form. Descent ball feel. Actually satisfying enough to lessen the desire to own a full sized machine.

Left the bikes and walked by Grey area - they started charging us less then their posted prices.

We Procure food.
And the mate prepares a
Beautiful meal at home
Food from the Italian store near 137
Desert from Bolhoed
They make this fruit and chocolate mouse cake that is worth making a special trip for even if you are not a vegetarian

Best news

No blood
Almost no blood

A drop or 2 is nothing compared to the last couple of days

Strolled over to spirit
for pinball
We walked out the door and as soon as it was locked - I said
We need an umbrella. Mate rolled his eyes, but I went back and got the umbrella. Spirit is mostly empty and we play till we can play no more.
We leave and as soon as we are out of the door, it begins pouring! I pull out the umbrella, nonchalantly smile. As we make our way back to the boat, there is thunder and lightening all around us.

Got home

Still no blood

Life is good!

(Btw just as a reality check - I understood quite fully that any troubles and stress we encounter on our glorious vacation is totally inconsequential compared to the suffering that is going on around the world just to survive.)

I am grateful tonite
Grateful to be in Amsterdam, even if it has changed over the decades,
There is still no other place on the planet where people with different backgrounds and ideologies can sit, smoke and discuss their contradictory ideals.

I am extremely grateful to be here.
It is mooi

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: with his mouth full of teddies, jumbo's urinating seems defiant.

Postby chigusa » Fri Aug 15, 9:36 am

why would anybody take kids to Amsterdam? there's fuck all there for them, (other than a racist christmas arrival which is best avoided), and in common with every other part of a parents life the presence of children will ruin their chance to enjoy even the most simple things.

also, kids don't have money. why would the bottom line loving cloggie operators of one of Europe's most efficient money filters want the bastards in the first place? pester power? fair enough but what is there to pester for? wooden fucking shoes?
the next time a dropping looks at you funny for being a stoner, chuck the little get in the cut.

sorry to keep ranting in your report, w.c. but you do keep noticing things that that get right on my wick.
i'm very pleased the little dog's dick has stopped bleeding and you're beginning to settle down into your holiday.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri Aug 15, 1:05 pm

i love that it inspires a rant!!

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Fri Aug 15, 1:12 pm

Because everywhere has to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Nowhere must be in any way offensive to anyone and must feature vast shiny glass windows stuffed with overpriced shit to buy. The same is happening all over the world: Europe, Asia, South America.

The Annes of this world must be creaming their prissy little drawers.

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Fri Aug 15, 5:05 pm

Dazzler wrote:Because everywhere has to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Nowhere must be in any way offensive to anyone and must feature vast shiny glass windows stuffed with overpriced shit to buy.

You can blame the Euro for that, it was never like that with the Guilder...

The Annes of this world must be creaming their prissy little drawers.

Why are you such a creep?

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Fri Aug 15, 5:07 pm

chigusa wrote:why would anybody take kids to Amsterdam? there's fuck all there for them, (other than a racist christmas arrival which is best avoided)

There is tons for the little fuckers to do:

NEMO, Artis Zoo, TunFun, Marionette Theatre, Kinderkook Kafe, Race Planet for Kids..... just to name a few.

I totally hear you about them being a pain in the ass to travel with, but there is cool shit for them to do.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Fri Aug 15, 5:13 pm

Good news about the dog's dick. You are in the perfect place to get him some safer sex toys!

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Fri Aug 15, 5:13 pm

Wait till they're 18, then they can join in the fun!

Me and the Missus are taking half a dozen late teen / early twenty somethings over in October!

Peace, Des.

Mokum Dream

Postby Mokum Dream » Fri Aug 15, 5:55 pm

I first went to Amsterdam when I was 16 with my parents. My old man took me in the Sex Museum. We stayed in Kijkduin near Den Haag and I spent my evenings getting pissed in the local bar. One evening the barman asked me if I wanted to buy a 'blowtje', I said oh yes! I was so fucked I couldn't cycle back. My first experience of Dutch weed that's created a lifelong craving lol.

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Fri Aug 15, 10:36 pm

Good news about the dog!

Regarding travelling with kids; soon we are going to the NL for fifteen days, and this time we will be in the company of our 12 months old baby. I know he does not qualify as a kid yet, but it will be a totally new experience for us, and i'll let you know how it goes.

Meanwhile, keep us posted with your reports wc, and listen to the mate more often :))

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Sat Aug 16, 2:33 am

I applaud you for taking the baby. That takes some balls.

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Sat Aug 16, 8:20 am

chichi123 wrote:I applaud you for taking the baby. That takes some balls.

C'mon Cheech; we are taking him to Amsterdam, not Ciudad Juarez...

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”