august 2013 10th thru the 28th

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Thu Aug 22, 3:39 pm

Another good 'un.

"....to boot"" another one of those phrases.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri Aug 23, 9:10 am

Bohannon wrote:Another good 'un.

Lol
I wrote that and thought - wow -'does anyone even use this phrase anymore..

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Fri Aug 23, 6:51 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:

Lol

sure and to boot the boot down the road a little further i came in here expecting to read yet another installment of your wonderful tales of Mokum. Alas, we seem booted to rebooting phases about bootery...

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Fri Aug 23, 8:34 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:

Lol

Yes, but usually after I've been pussy footing around... :)

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Fri Aug 23, 9:08 pm

I Googled:

"To boot
The idiom to boot, meaning in addition or besides, has nothing to do with footwear. This sense of boot is left over from the Old English bÂ￾t and Middle English bote, where the word meant an advantage or something included in a bargain, and the phrase to boot has been in common usage since the time of Old English."

Pax

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Fri Aug 23, 9:57 pm

Bohannon wrote:I Googled:

"To boot
The idiom to boot, meaning in addition or besides, has nothing to do with footwear.

Depends on the usage, how about to boot someone out of a job, that would suggest a swift kick with footwear would it not?

Bohannon wrote:This sense of boot is left over from the Old English bÂ￾t and Middle English bote, where the word meant an advantage or something included in a bargain,

Sounds more like booty to me, but apparently the dictionary's disagree.

Bohannon wrote:...and the phrase to boot has been in common usage since the time of Old English."

Pax

Quite right, but the word is derived from either french or latin origin, from the word estover which in english law means; "In English law, estovers is wood that a tenant is allowed to take, for life or a period of years, from the land he holds for the repair of his house, the implements of husbandry, hedges and fences, and for firewood." according to wikipedia

It's amazing some of the stuff you learn whilst waiting for another fabulous trip report!=)

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri Aug 23, 11:53 pm

Glad to see you have kept yourselves entertained!

More to come..I promise I am taking notes : >

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sat Aug 24, 11:11 am

August 19

It's a rainy morning. A day with a slow start - boy do I need that!
It's market day and the mate is off doing his shopping thing.

He returns with a green Dutch Jacket that he has procured at the market! He is proud and happy with his score- as shopping is never his strong point. he did good! I love the clothes market.

I take a walk thru the market - Watching women try on clothing on top of what they are wearing, pulling off shoes, trying on others - then I think of NYC
And can not quite imagine people doing this. Really you could easily acquire all of your clothing needs here with the proper level of funk. Chichi - you and I could play dress up!

The market is starting to be dismantled as i meander over in the direction of Tak's table. There is mobilechuckje and his mate helping Tak pack up. Now these are some good friends! They are there to help with the morning set up and then the take down. How cool is that! heck never even crossed my mind that I should/could lend a hand. They also have this life thing wired really well - being able to spend three months out of the year here. Next best thing to moving here. Very impressive!

Our agenda is a day of pinball.... A pinball crawl, if you like. (Even though the day is more than half gone) But first the dog needs attention, so off to Amnesia. Sat out front smoking enjoying the view.
The world passes by, tourists with rolling suitcases, boats, bikes....
All of a sudden I had an image flash in my minds eye
The old Amnesia
when there was a pinball machine...
Right up front on the right. You could play and then look out the window and see if the prostitute across the street had finished up with her john. Later it was moved to the front left side... No more window watching. Had not thought about that In a really long time.. Ha it has been a really long time since the machine was there...

Anybody remember that?

Once ready to move we wander over to GA to restock. Once again there is a huge line, the dog and I sit on the window sill and people watch.

Back to the boat, realized we need to buy food for dinner, so off we go again to our favorite little Italian food shop in the Jordaan, just down the street from 137. We get freshly made pasta, their home made spaghetti sauce, and tiramisu to go along with the broccoli, radicchio and goat cheese salad
We bump in to mobilechuckje and his mate on their bikes heading out of the hood. (Funny being in a place where we have known neighbors!)

Finally, we are off to Spirit for some pinball.... This is our pinball crawl. Lol
Too late to go anywhere else. Oh well...Amsterdam plans...up in a puff of smoke

my pinball playing remains respectable and I continue to hold the champ title

Gotta find this radio station
A salsa version of Sunday Bloody Sunday is playing....
(Strangest thing I have ever heard)
Same station as last year - perhaps it is a French Internet radio station...anyway
It is so eclectic it is beyond description. Opera, Mozart, massive attack, old jazz, hip hop .....one after the other...
(Even Winnie has been impressed with this one!)

If I can find out what it is, I will definitely share it!

Enjoy your day!

Tall Guy
super poster
super poster

Postby Tall Guy » Sat Aug 24, 11:21 am

http://www.davidbyrne.com/radio/index.php is also really good for diverse musical listening WC...thanks for your continued efforts.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sat Aug 24, 11:22 am

Generous_J wrote:Was Marco super cool?

How do you mean?
Not standoffish -if that is meant by super cool...
Super hip cool ?
Not more that any of us!

He was friendly, funny and engaging - with a hint of a sarcastic tongue : >
I never put it together that he was Forum Marko - until the next day when he made comment on Asoka.

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Sat Aug 24, 11:26 am

hahah At least I know my sizes after all these years and at resale shops and fleas I don't need to try clothes over clothes on.

Enjoy your reports every morning!!!!

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Sun Aug 25, 9:02 am

Italian food shop in the Jordaan

Can you tell me the name of this shop and the location?

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Aug 25, 9:06 am

MikeFromTx wrote:Italian food shop in the Jordaan

Basillico Itallaanse Specialiteiten
on Willemsstraat
(down the block from coffeeshop 137)

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Sun Aug 25, 9:16 am

worldcitizen1723 wrote:

on Willemsstraat

Thanks.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Aug 25, 9:19 am

MikeFromTx wrote:
worldcitizen1723 wrote:

on Willemsstraat

Thanks.

sure! If you ask, they will give you instruction on how best to prepare each product -- follow their instructions for the most heavenly gnocchi available - will rival any restaurant's.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sun Aug 25, 9:50 am

Hope you made the Epic concert on the Princengracht last night? Wow!

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Aug 25, 10:12 am

MileHighDenver wrote:Hope you made the Epic concert on the Princengracht last night? Wow!

Lol
Sort of......
(Have to wait for the trip report - for the low down)

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Sun Aug 25, 11:04 am

worldcitizen1723 wrote:
MikeFromTx wrote:
worldcitizen1723 wrote:

on Willemsstraat

Thanks.

sure! If you ask, they will give you instruction on how best to prepare each product -- follow their instructions for the most heavenly gnocchi available - will rival any restaurant's.

Will do. I will let you know how it turns out.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Aug 25, 1:39 pm

August 20

Lazy mornings, get my computer work done - trying to keep up with the website and write trip reports definitely takes some juggling

Walked over to Amnesia with the dog. People watched. I have been noticing how groups, families, friends tend to have similar styles. Or kind of like dress in matched sets. I guess it is that birds of a feather like thing. Though the ones that offer the most amusement are the 15-16-17 year old kids on their holiday. The parents all shiny clean with their kaki pants and floral printed shirts and loafers. Three feet behind, pretending not to be associated with the adults, sulks the absolutely miserable looking kid . 9 out of 10 times said kid is dressed in over the top goth or some other subcultures uniform. I feel their pain - and am also slightly amused by it. The dog is into people watching too. He really pays attention. When a dog goes by he whines a bit.

Decided to ride out to Martin Luther King Park to see what De Parade was all about. This was visually so cool - felt like something out of the turn of the century. Little tent structures. Just one ride. one of those swing rides. Mostly these are all little performance spots. (Sort of like off off broadway size - performance spaces with a capacity of 25 up to Maybe 150. there was Comedy, music, theatre, film -of course most all of it was in Dutch. It was more about just seeing it and soaking up the energy. I just love the idea of a traveling performance circus- it was an idea my friends and I thought about in the 70's....... But Americans like things bigger - they do not seem to support small venue offerings in the same manner. It was hot, there were a lot of children and really no place to smoke, so we decided to order a 1/2 carafe of sangria. I swear it was a full carafe! And some chips with guacamole. As you know, we are not really drinkers - this was way too much. We finished our chips and guacamole. Compared to the sangria the order of chips they gave us was minuscule. We needed more. The mate goes off to to procure more chips - he comes back with another order - same as before - this time there are twice as many chips. Guess quantity control is not enforced. We finally finish the carafe and stumble off the platform we are seated on. As we walk past one of the performance spaces, I peek my head in and to my dismay the actor grabs my hand speaking in Dutch and pulling me in - the other audience members applaud. He continues in Dutch - I say English
And he decides I am from England. He continues speaking in English telling the audience the rest of the show will be in English, because if we like it, maybe they could travel and work in England too! Everyone laughs - and then once we are firmly planted in seats - he goes back to speaking Dutch. He was a great performer - using his voice and body in a very classical comedy de la art style
Fun to watch and terribly engaging.

The show finishes - OMG we are so drunk and now have to ride our bikes!

Leave and retrieve our bikes. As I am unlocking my bike I hear this strange hissing sound. I look all around and can not locate it, can't identify it either. But definitely some gas of some sort is leaking near by. Finish unlocking the bike - fuck - the hissing sound..... That was the sound of the air being released from my front tire. I somehow managed to nudge open the valve when I pulled the chain lock out. Great. Far away from home, a flat tire, and I am stinking drunk. At least it is not raining... And hey we are in Amsterdam - so what can be bad? At the red light on the bike path, I ask for guidance -'for air, somewhere. Anywhere. Mostly people say sadly that they do not know....
I get suggestions and we walk with the bikes in the suggested direction (btw not in the direction of getting us closer to home!). We walk, ask for more help. Finally someone says they believe there is air at the train station..we go to the train station. We spend plenty of time looking around and can not find any air.
Then someone explains that we are in the back of the train station. Sure enough on the other side there is a ramp leading underground that says fiets. We follow it, got nothing to lose.. And sure enough - there is a bike repair shop and air.
The guy is nice and fills my tire.

On our return we ended in Rembrandt square and went to Sevilla to play pinball. I am now certain - I really do not like that short half electronic machine. After one game I said nay!
We sat outside for a bit and then decided it was time to return to the boat and the dog. We are staving all day - was just had the wine and chips. Don't want to cook. Afraid of choosing a restaurant went back to la perla for salad and pizza...and even a little more wine.

end the day at spirit and the pinball machine! My winning streak continues : >

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: with his mouth full of teddies, jumbo's urinating seems defiant.

Postby chigusa » Sun Aug 25, 6:59 pm

i don't want you to go back to america.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sun Aug 25, 8:27 pm

Thanks wc, another great chapter.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Sun Aug 25, 10:13 pm

Nice...

Dogbreath

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Sun Aug 25, 10:16 pm

Nice...

Dogbreath

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Mon Aug 26, 2:17 am

I watched hundreds of people today at a flea market we did. Women really do tend to dress similar to one another. I saw beautiful women is what I came away with today. Most times I come home grossed out ahah.

So I complimented a young woman today about her black Hermes purse. Ended up telling me it cost only 8 grand. Think of the HUNDREDS in tax even on the 8 g's. Then she told me about a Birkin that wasn't supposed to be out on the shelf and I never did quite get that. Anyway, she said it was only 10 grand and there was a line of women behind her waiting for her to decide....and she bought it. Then she told me her favorite color was fucking pink lol and she took a picture of the hermes that another lady was carrying so her husband could see it and her girlfriends.

The diamond earings were about 2 carats each. Her wedding diamond was a good 4 carat. Gosh she was nice.....................and then I smacked her in the lookers and said ok nice story now fuck off down the aisle beot.

She said they never go down in price and are an investment.

I think of her as cunt of the day ahahaha. Jealousy is so ugly.

So WC I thought today of the all black NYNY ( no not you NYNY) not today in Chicago. It was in the 90's and women had on the prettiest dresses in the most bright, lovely colors and patterns and flowing things. omg, and tits were everywhere. The men were all gay......

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Mon Aug 26, 9:34 am

worldcitizen1723 wrote:At the red light on the bike path, I ask for guidance -'for air, somewhere. Anywhere. Mostly people say sadly that they do not know....
I get suggestions and we walk with the bikes in the suggested direction (btw not in the direction of getting us closer to home!). We walk, ask for more help. Finally someone says they believe there is air at the train station..we go to the train station. We spend plenty of time looking around and can not find any air.
Then someone explains that we are in the back of the train station. Sure enough on the other side there is a ramp leading underground that says fiets. We follow it, got nothing to lose.. And sure enough - there is a bike repair shop and air.
The guy is nice and fills my tire.

Wow, what horrible luck and perhaps because you were in Amsterdam proper. I've had a couple of flat tires in the boonies and someone would always seem to come along pretty quickly who'd volunteer to fix and pump the tire back up=) But not so much in the city...

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Mon Aug 26, 9:48 am

chig - I don't want to go home either! Can you help me stay, please??

Chichi - I give you credit - i have a hard time carrying on a conversation with people who put large amounts of money into owning the proper handbag! cunt of the day i say!

Alpha - all things considered, it was not that bad. The sun was shining and i knew eventually something would work out - even if it was just getting on the train!

and an apology to all - these are our last two days and i do not think i can take the time to write up a report today or tomorrow - but i have good notes and some good stories yet to come ---

did i say, i do not want to leave? Three weeks is still NOT enough time!

Frosted
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Frosted » Mon Aug 26, 12:26 pm

Best....... to cram 6 months.....into the next 48 hours

Thank you, very much for taking the time.

Frosted
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Frosted » Mon Aug 26, 1:01 pm

chichi123 wrote:I watched hundreds of people today at a flea market we did. Women really do tend to dress similar to one another. I saw beautiful women is what I came away with today. Most times I come home grossed out ahah.

So I complimented a young woman today about her black Hermes purse. Ended up telling me it cost only 8 grand. Think of the HUNDREDS in tax even on the 8 g's. Then she told me about a Birkin that wasn't supposed to be out on the shelf and I never did quite get that. Anyway, she said it was only 10 grand and there was a line of women behind her waiting for her to decide....and she bought it. Then she told me her favorite color was fucking pink lol and she took a picture of the hermes that another lady was carrying so her husband could see it and her girlfriends.

The diamond earings were about 2 carats each. Her wedding diamond was a good 4 carat. Gosh she was nice.....................and then I smacked her in the lookers and said ok nice story now fuck off down the aisle beot.

She said they never go down in price and are an investment.

I think of her as cunt of the day ahahaha. Jealousy is so ugly.

So WC I thought today of the all black NYNY ( no not you NYNY) not today in Chicago. It was in the 90's and women had on the prettiest dresses in the most bright, lovely colors and patterns and flowing things. omg, and tits were everywhere. The men were all gay......

Oh.............GOD.................CHEECH...................

you missed a primo opportunity to fuck with her......
I would have said oh that's soooo cheap.....when she gave up more info....I'd plant the suggestion ( I have checked the spelling 5 times...because it doesn't look right to me, I cant believe that... its correct)

That maybe its a fake......I'd ask if she has been on the site that helps identify fakes....and lists the known fakers, and scammers.

When she had bitten....fishies usually always do......I'd set the hook....by saying
let me look....Ive gotten pretty good at spotting fakes, then I'd chat about the need to know these things as my business of selling depended on me not being riped off....you know...I'd ask her...looking into the face to sell point.

at that point I would be able to look at her to tell if she had bought the story

if knee deep.... in my story.....I'd nail her....by saying ....Oh my god.....your such a nice lady....Im soooo sorry....they prolly saw you coming a mile away...did you just buy this, can you get your money back....oh...please tell me you bought it on a credit card...you could reverse the charge....I'd make up some sort of seam bullshit, I have heard about other purses...so it sounds right....then sell how sorry I am.

then I say....you could always donate it to a charity, for a tax write off....or resell it....on ebay.....for a couple of hundred.....to try and get some money.....

....lady...I sorry to say this... but this is a worthless fake.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Mon Aug 26, 3:05 pm

Try "Elkaar" for a memorible last meal. Across from the Tropen Museum.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Aug 29, 3:29 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:Try "Elkaar" for a memorible last meal. Across from the Tropen Museum.

...needed more lead time for reservations..

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”