august 2013 10th thru the 28th

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

august 2013 10th thru the 28th

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Tue Aug 13, 9:45 am

August 10th

Winnie just got a new bike! Wow, it is gorgeous, beautiful lines, great seat... And it is fast! So we took a ride out to De Bos. My gawd, this place is huge! There are so many lakes, canals, rivers. There is a huge lake for rowing competitions, a lake for swimming, a lake for row boats. Geez there are even spots for outdoor camping. Had lunch at the Bosbaan. Wtf - how is it that even at a place such as this the food is absolutely delicious? If this was the states, there would be some pre packaged dry sandwiches on questionable white spongy stuff they call bread. Oh well.

Rode around a lot. Smoked on a couple of grassy knolls. These woods are so cool. It is really difficult to wrap your mind around the fact that everything we see was hand planted. There is no wild growth in the Netherlands. I guess it makes sense if you think of all of this as reclaimed land - so it had to be designed. Guess that statement is really true: God made the world - but the Dutch made the Netherlands!

On our return we stopped off at Soundgarden to sit in the sun on the terrace.
Btw they have 2 pinball machines, but they were really too dark and glarey to be of any fun.

Weather was consistent all day: sun, clouds, wind, sun, clouds, wind....
Put the jacket on
Take the jacket off
Put the hat on
Put the jacket on
Take the jacket off
Take the hat off
Put the hat on
Put the jacket on
Take the jacket off
Take the hat off

Oh, I almost caused grievous damage to myself and others....
On the way out. My long flappy bell bottomed pants got caught
And wound around the bike pedal. I was happily driving down the street with plenty of folks behind me..
All,of a sudden, it was getting hard to pedal
Was a strange sensation, kind of rubbery stuck ness to the pedal
Finally, the pedal would not move, I was tied to it.
The bike stopped, cause my pant was so tightly wound up, I could not unstraddle the bike or even get my foot to the ground.. So I was stumbling, flopping, in the midst of someform of fit, and certainly looking like I might fall in some unknown direction- Lucky for me, those behind me were able to make wide circles around the chaos of my little world. I recovered, without causing bodily harm to those around me or to myself. After that experience, my pants will be safely tucked into my socks when i ride!

Back at the house boat. I smoked what I thought was a sativa - turned out to be an indica.... And I just left the planet. Woke to find that the mate had prepared dinner AND had gone out and scored the much needed toilet paper.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Tue Aug 13, 8:58 pm

Sun, clouds, wind.

What, no rain? The gods must be smiling on you.

Thanks for your reports..... I appreciate it. They make my US East Coast mornings fun, along with a coffee.

Dogbreath

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Wed Aug 14, 9:44 am

Go to the NDSM werf. Free boat behind central station. YOu can take your bikes. lots to do and see there. www.ndsm.nl/.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Wed Aug 14, 10:04 pm

Generous_J wrote:Go to the NDSM werf. Free boat behind central station. YOu can take your bikes. lots to do and see there. www.ndsm.nl/.

thanks..will do
(and report back!)

Thanks dogbreath, nice to share morning coffee with you...it's a city we all love...

octafish
power poster
power poster

Postby octafish » Thu Aug 15, 3:17 pm

Once again, it feels like we are there with you.

Thanks to you and the mate.

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Thu Aug 15, 9:07 pm

Great stuff WorldClass. Looking forward to my trip very soon.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Aug 15, 10:35 pm

Sunday August 11

Winnie came over for breakfast with the intention of catching an afternoon of Jazz at Vondel Park. The mate made a delicious breakfast and we sat back on the porch and watched the boats go by. There were more sparkly happy smiling tourists than usual on the boats. As we contemplated leaving, the skies opened up and it poured buckets. We absolutely enjoyed watching the drops bounce around the canals while we congratulated ourselves on not being in the park. We smoked, we laughed and seemed glued to our chairs. The sun returned. We contemplated leaving....the sky blackened and once again dumped. Sometimes being too stoned to move is a very good thing!

The sun returned and we pushed ourselves to get off our arses and move

We got to vondelpark just as the final act was being announced...this is who,we were wanting to see: Candy Dulfer

It was superb
The music was grand
I found it interesting to see how people picked their spots
The sunny patches were filled with people
The shady patches were empty
If this were NYC it would be the opposite scenario

Went over to DeGraal
Interesting comfy place. Noticeably filled with a mostly French clientele
Had it's own unique vibe. Was not that impressed with their weed.

From there we decided to get a bite to eat. Where to go? My brilliantly inspired idea - let's go to Tashi Deleg the Tibetan restaurant on utrechtstraat
It had been consistently good for years. Well..... Turned out to be one of the worst meals imaginable.
So now i can clearly state - just stay away from Tibetan restaurants in Amsterdam. Period! Sorry Winnie!

We parted ways and headed over to Spirit and our nightly pinball fix.

What a lucky day...we missed every downpour, had great music, good company plenty of laughter and just gezellig all the way around.

And yeah..the mate is winning at pinball right now..but my time is coming!

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Fri Aug 16, 10:19 am

August 12th

Woke with sun, seems no matter how the day turns out, we start with sun.

Rode over to Kadinsky's to try their Pinball machine
I almost destroyed another machine
(Head bent in shame)
I won a free game and was enjoying multiball action
When first one ball and then a second got stuck in some moving apparatus..
The second ball got stuck when I was trying to free the first ball by using the other ball to knock it free. There were about three minutes of silence on the machine with no amount of pounding or shaking could budge the ball - as I was about to walk away. The machine tried to correct itself and after a bit of moving all it's parts, it released my stuck balls...and my turn continued.

I shall earn a new nick name this time around: the destroyer

Beautiful day sunny with that nice cool breeze. We decided to head to the zoo.
All the decades we have been visiting this city, we never went to the zoo. To be honest, I don't particularly like zoo's. animals in small enclosures tend to make my heart sink. I really wanted to enjoy the zoo...but right at the entrance was a small plot of land with camels, donkeys, bison and lamas. It looked like the infirmary or a geriatric ward. These animals were lying on the ground and moving with uneasy steps...no room to really move, nothing to entertain them.
My heart sank. We wandered around, the zoo is really beautifully landscaped, the flowers and gardens are grand - the whole place is reminiscent of another era. But the animals...I was really heart broken. There appeared to be an extreme amount of OCD behavior amongst the animals - especially the big ones. You've undoubtedly seen this at other Zoos. The bear, the lion, the gorilla (just fill in the animal)- walks around their enclosed area in a specific pattern, and at set intervals, twists his body in a certain manner, spins around and continues in the same pattern.. It is an activity of extreme boredom. This happened a number of years ago in NYC to our polar bear. They had behaviorists, scientists and psychiatrists into help the bear get out of the patterned behavior....anyway, there really was an extreme amount of this type of activity at the zoo. This was slowly becoming a crushing experience.

Then we walked into the butterfly pavilion. I had no expectations. It was warm, filled with plants....and BUTTERFLIES

OMG

The first reaction was kind of a stunned disbelief, there were butterflies everywhere! Had to be careful where you stepped so as not to crush one.
I felt this child like joy well up inside me and an uncontainable smile across my face...this joy just bubbled up from some unknown well and before I knew it, tears were streaming down my cheeks- I could totally not hold it back. Not even clear what was triggered. But geez even now writing about it this morning the tears are licking my cheeks. There were all shapes and sizes of butterflies. It was interesting to observe, cause once one type of butterfly would spot one of it's own, they would buddy up. It looked like the butterflies
Knew their differences and knew their brothers and sisters. This was a real highlight!

Walked thru the big bird section - beautiful captive birds, at least their cages were fairly large. I still find it hard to reconcile capturing these beautiful creatures and jailing them for life.

Got on the bikes and somehow ended up at the nieumarket and Green Place.
We took a seat outside. There were two 30 something French girls and a younger girl sitting in a corner seat. (I mention this, because it is rare to see women together around the coffeeshops). Anyway, the French girls were
Very interested in the Journey Pipes so we had a broken English communication they left and I started taking some notes of the day. Immediately the young, attractive girl in the corner, asks me what I was writing.
(I was kind of taken a back- by the directness of her question) I told her about my trip report and she pulled out her journal. She has been living here for a year, from Slovnia. As we were sharing stories a swarmy looking guy with a bit of mean glare and arms tightly folded across his chest, sat down at the table. He did not offer a friendly glance. We continued chatting with the beautiful young thing. The mate started in on his feminist stance and how he thinks men have ruined the world and it is time for the female force to take control. Well to my absolute amazement, the gruff guy in the corner - his face lit up, he extended his hand to the mate and with a huge smile he said he agreed. (Lol - I would have NEVER expected that! ). He was from Scilly and worked in an Italian restaurant here in amsterdam as a chef. We probably spent another 90 minutes in conversation with them. The girl just got a new job as a bud tender over at Flower Power - she says she thinks she like the pot industry. We all confirmed our love for this city and agreed that there really is nowhere else in the world where you would sit down with strangers and have an in depth conversation.
"D" our new young friend, made us promise to visit her when she is working.
(Of course we will )

Reluctantly decided it was time for us to walk the dog. Returned and we all walked over to 137. We were relaxing out front when all of a sudden a
Big truck hit a biker and his bike as he was standing and talking to a friend by the bridge.
The biker hit the truck with his fist. The truck driver stopped the truck in the middle of the street and got out--- a middle eastern type. The biker was a tall blonde Dutch man. Well the middle eastern guy was indignant as all fuck - took no responsibility for his actions and wanted to start a fight with the Dutch guy.
A lot of male Posturing and chest puffing going on. It got really intense all directly in front of us. Felt like guns or knives could have appeared an any moment. We were ready to vacate ... It was weird to see some much aggression and hostility... Clearly there is a lot of racial tension under the surface here

We came home, made dinner took a beautiful night stroll around the canals
And said good bye to another day.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Fri Aug 16, 4:25 pm

The Parade traveling theatre festival is going on in MLK Park this week. Free entry from 3PM to 4PM. Very Dutch.

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: with his mouth full of teddies, jumbo's urinating seems defiant.

Postby chigusa » Fri Aug 16, 7:42 pm

you unmanned me for a moment or two with this latest instalment.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sat Aug 17, 11:34 am

chigusa wrote:you unmanned me for a moment or two with this latest instalment.

: >

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sat Aug 17, 11:36 am

August 13

Well it was bound to happen
It is a wet rainy chilly morning
Uninviting day
I finally gave up on the website for one night and slept 12 hours straight
OMG
I have been sleep deprived!!
Have felt a bit removed for many days
Like I need to slap myself in the face to remind myself to stop and drink in where we are, just stop and look - see! I have this fear I will return home and never had been fully here
It is a strange inner disconnect. I keep pushing it aside, but like a shadow it hangs on.

Did the one hit trip: Grey Area for smoke, Puccini Bonboni for chocolate and reypensyar for cheese. Boy I love this corner and these three shops. Sadly there is now a fast food American chain store now there too.
California burrito.....slowly very slowly Amsterdam too is infiltrated by the corporate tendrils of mass produced sameness.

Got back to the boat and the rain began again. at least our rain fairies have guided us well!

Some smoke, Cheese, bread and fruit the sun appears. Since it is one of those iffy days we decide it is a good idea to return to the Rike Museum. Off on our bikes, first stop paradox to eat a space cake. we get to the museum and I turn to the mate and say want to ride thru the center before we tie the bikes up.. He nods, we no sooner hit the underpass thru the museum and the skies began to dump buckets of water - we are blown away by our spectacular timing.

The people in line are totally drenched. We must have waited an hour in line (once the rain stopped), got in and the mate decided he needed food, before getting into the museum proper. Off to the restaurant and about another hour wait. We laughed that by the time we finished, the museum would be closed!
( and it almost was - we only had 90 minutes left!).
- aside. Do not go to the museum restaurant it is slow and expensive

So off to the 1600-1700 artists
They are awe inspiring, the way they captured light... I can get lost in the renderings of a chalice or silver plate.
We used up our 90 minutes

The space cakes did little to nothing

Returned to play with the dog
Not feeling like cooking
Decided to go out
Oh gawd... This is quickly becoming a Dutch bad food vacation - unusual
Since we have a history of great luck with food here.

We chose Los pintos in the Jordaan
DO NOT EAT HERE

It is a Mexican restaurant
Chosen because of trip advisor recommendations
( these reviews are clearly BS for the most part)
First off I am not a drinker - one margarita will set me on a nice alcohol high
We paid for a quality anejo to be added to the drinks...I swear there was NO tequilla in them. Margarita mix and nothing more!
Terrible terrible below mediocre...
Food was edible- but not what you want to pay for, if ya know what I mean.

Went over to Flower Power to see our new young friend at work, what a greeting! We sat and chatted. She declared us kindred spirits, she went on and on as only the young can do, saying that meeting up with us was an important event, like meeting herself. She was exuberant, metaphysical and passionately positive about the evolution of the world. Ironically, it did remind me of myself in the youthful part of my existence... Haha maybe she was right
( poor thing, me thinks she is up for some major disappointments!)

Played pinball. They have a new machine (for them) the tired Elvis has been replaced by monster mash. It is a perfect stoner machine..good action, just not too fast ( a good thing when stoned!). Gives great multiballs.

I did not destroy this machine, but twice I actually flipped the ball over the rails and got it back to the beginning alley (where you shoot the ball out from) wtf
This is my favorite machine - cuz we play well together.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Sat Aug 17, 1:01 pm

It's starting to seem like that old saying....

"If you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all."

The disconnectedness: You brought your work with you. An act of heresy while in Amsterdam. Stone her!!!
Happened to me once many years ago, until I said "F" the work....., this is Amsterdam.

Amsterdam and work are like oil and water: never can they co-mingle peacefully. It is written.

I predict you will "break through" in the next couple of days and you will then be in harmony with that fine eclectic energy this city has to offer.... that state of grace we all seem to experience in AMS.

Life is Goeden....

Dogbreath

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sat Aug 17, 5:45 pm

FYI the "California Burrito Company" Is indeed an American fast food company, South American, Brazil I think.

Loving your reportage.

Bo

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Sat Aug 17, 9:02 pm

Enjoyable reading. Thanks

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Sun Aug 18, 3:54 am

Bohannon wrote:FYI the "California Burrito Company" Is indeed an American fast food company, South American, Brazil I think.

Loving your reportage.

Bo

I googled the name Bo put in + A'dam and found that their proper name is "The Original California Burrito Company". While in their Dutch website I clicked on locations and at this time there is only the one in A'dam. I then googled the proper name on its own and found that it actually is a chain based in Australia and New Zealand.

I've been enjoying the reports too WC. Thanks much and keep 'em coming. I just read your Denver trip report as well. I wasn't able to make it this year but hope to be there next year.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Aug 18, 9:45 am

Thanks Bo and Moe -- gotta keep the facts straight! Perfect the original California burrito - direct from Australia!

August 14

With the constant bike riding and doing things, woke this morning feeling like vacations can be damn hard work! ( I confess, my thighs are killing me!)
First noticeable sign of aging..cause this was never an issue in prior visits..

So we walked over to Asoka - wow - what a pleasure walking can be - these are different muscles, long strides instead of pumping. I like it!

we are on our way to Asoka with the dog. Our dog is to meet the new Asoka part time dog. We were also invited to go to Westerpark with yet another dog for a walk and a dog run... Lol. Had to explain, our pooch would never make it to Westerpark - just the walk to the boat was enough, he will need to be carried part way on the return. It was a good first meeting. Asoka dog is a pup, a playful sweet natured pup with very long legs. My dog is 7 lbs and close to the ground in comparison - but they nuzzled and were sweet.
My dog ( a male) eventually discovered he could walk right under the pup and lick her genitals. He was in heaven.... Ahh Amsterdam, even a little something
special for him!

Came back to the boat to do a little work. Dogbreath - you are probably right,
It seemed like such a little thing - but having a daily commitment is just not the right thing to do.....though, if it can help me afford 3 months in Amsterdam, in the future, it might be worth it... Just got to bite the bullet right now and dream on. I will never know unless I see it thru.

Rode over to Pancakes! For a known treat ( gawd - I worry even my favorite places have gone downhill).

Whew - just as good as ever. I love the 3 in a pan. 3 medium sized pancakes with raisins and apples, oj and coffee. Served with cinnamon and strawberry sauce. The mate had one of those large Dutch crepe like pancakes with bananas and pistachio ice cream and a raspberry sauce.

Walked thru the 9 streets to window shop...hey it's here... Gotta do it! Though I hold myself back - even with my funky style - I have bought plenty of stuff while here that I absolutely love, but once back in the states, the piece will feel awkward and inappropriate.

Got back on the bikes.. After a bit of time my thighs relax into it, rode over to voyagers for the King Kong...it is pricey, but it is Very Good. We then took the opportunity to stroll the RLD. The work on the Zeedjik is complete. There are now wide even sidewalks here as well! Can you imagine??! I miss feeling history under my feet. It's weird all of this road work and sidewalk improvement takes a bit more soul out of the place .... At least for me. It's a Disneyland version of Amsterdam - all fresh and sparkly new.

Back on the bikes and a ride along side the canals, landing back at Flower Power to meet our new young friend. Ahh, so youthful, level headed and grounded. She shows us how she make 60 hand rolled joints at a time.
Cool little contraption - no wonder the sold pre-rolled joints all look so uniform and neat! She also advises not to buy our pot here - her suggestion: Green Place for quality smoke and price. Will try it. She exchanges phone numbers and email addresses with us, wanting us to promise to stay in touch and to contact her next year...

Some one had recommended Hill Street Blues for quality and price - we stopped in earlier in the day, but they are no longer selling bud in the shop.
( or at least on this day they are not)

Played Pinball. I have taken over and broken the winning streak that the mate has been on since we arrived. Oodles of multiballs, extra balls, extra games with plays so long, you are exhausted when they finally end. Also there are 4 balls per game instead of the usual three balls.... Remember when 5 balls were the norm?

We lost track of time...thought we still had hours left in the afternoon
Wrong!
Was supposed to meet Winnie and mobilchuckje and his mate in Flevopark to hear the opera companies live performance being broadcast in the park. Sounded perfect. Winnie sent me a place to meet. Lol, even with google maps, I could not figure out where it was. ( embarrassed red face) the mate took one look at the map, when I showed him where we were going..and immediately balked. (Guess his legs are feeling the burn too.) Anyway, he proclaimed himself too old to ride that far tonite. Too bad, we were prepared with cheese, fruit and wine - ready to go. Made dinner instead... At least we were guaranteed a good meal! Took a late nite stroll and collapsed into a deep, deep coma like sleep.

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Sun Aug 18, 3:19 pm

Wear those funky clothes in New York!!!!. I dyed my hair with bright red streaks lately and said if I was in Europe nobody would even notice.

A young drunk kid looked at me and said wtf is with the hair? hahaha Brat!

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sun Aug 18, 4:34 pm

Ahhh, nothing like a beautiful morning, birds singing, cuppa Douwie and a fine read about life in Mokum to get it started...well nothing except being on the "other side" of the report. Thanks WC.

Pax

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Mon Aug 19, 10:03 am

Good morning : >

August 15th

This is a big day - we are leaving the city and going out to visit Oracle and his charming mate at their new abode deep in the countryside. We are excited to get to visit them, but also, a bit sad that they are no longer living around the corner - with pop in and quick visits no longer possible. Anyway it was a beautiful, trip out of the city.

The closest town would be Hillversum. The cabby told us that All radio and tv broadcasts originate from there. He told us about how at one time all of the different religions had their own radio stations-now because of expense they all share just one station.

He pointed out big houses proclaiming them as mini mansions from a another time.

Wow

Oracle and his mate have a fantastic place on a huge lake, with great wide open water views. Great space both indoors and out. It is easy to understand why they are enjoying the change!

It was a most perfect day with good friends, food, lively conversation, good vibes, open hearts and deep connection.
Really enjoyed Oracle's music too.

Also enjoyed some mind bending in the early evening
Close the eyes

There are bouncing red dots. These dots begin to fall into a pattern.
Aha it's a figure 8 of moving bouncing red dots
The dots transform into tulips and continue their pattern transforming yet again into a double helix.
The scene changes
There is a dark bulls eye center circled by a dark blue
Swirling in this dark blue area are animal and human skeletons
BUT they are all wearing Joes*
(* not sure what others call, them but they are fake glasses with bushy eyebrows and big noses! )
Amongst the skeletons with their joes on were faces
Distinct individuals that come into focus then dissipate in a cloud like manner
This continues for quite awhile

After a fashion I am in a red world. Stoney angular and red. I seem to be traveling rapidly in some type of raft, floating in red water and narrow passages.

Now it is a blue world. Much softer, the edges are not so angular the blue water is calmer, the stream wider.

Then a green world, similar to ours, but trees and water seem somewhat different hard to put my finger on....

Part 2
Is work. Just a hell of a lot of stairs to climb and doors to open. The stairwells are all intricately carved as are the doors.. Beautiful.. It just goes on and and on

Afterwards was left with a clear headed afterglow that has remained

Think we got back to the city close to midnight. It was a very different day, no bikes, no running around...probably the most relaxed day thus far

Feeling blessed to have made such wonderful connections and for finding our Amsterdam family.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Mon Aug 19, 10:26 am

Breakthrough.

Holy Sacrament.

At play, in the fields of the lord.......

Dogbreath

oracle
super power poster
super power poster

Postby oracle » Mon Aug 19, 1:16 pm

Dogbreath wrote:Breakthrough.

Holy Sacrament.

At play, in the fields of the lord.......

Dogbreath

And this is the link to the music that we listened to:

Expanding In the Light of Infinite Consciousness-Shaman-E

http://www.mixcloud.com/andytours3/expa ... low-vol-7/

(Downtempo/Chillout/Psybient)

Enjoy at a relaxing moment,

Vibes to everyone but especially to the Worldcitizens for making it such a special day.

.oracle.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Mon Aug 19, 4:25 pm

A double trip report...nice one.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Tue Aug 20, 9:25 am

Lol, Bo... Double trip report ... : >

August 16th

Today must gather laundry and clean up a bit.
Once the chores are completed, It is off to grey area.
Wonder of wonders there is an empty table - so I get to sit and toke while the mate must stand in the no smoking line. The business this place does is pretty mind blowing. With that consistent line of tokers dangling out the door - no wonder their hours are so limited!

After re-fueling, we head off to Vondel park and then Art Zuid. I am a fan, but this years grouping was a bit disappointing. Perhaps it is just me, but it seemed that the standout pieces were few - even though it was a grand collection of notable artists..... There were many of those pieces ... You know the ones.. Like "Ultimate disaster". Pretty much a heap of garbage, a tarp and a row boat.... I think maybe he copied the piece from my yard in the country. Some art makes me question the evolution of "art".......

Anyway the sun was shining and here we are! So what could be bad?

Was taking pictures of a shimmering Buddha and two Dutch women start talking quickly to me. I apologize shrug and say English -- one lady says to me- but did you SEE it? She was concerned I was taking pictures and not looking. This feels like a déjà vu. Did the same lady say the same thing to me 2 years ago at the last art zuid? Or is this just a Dutch reaction to watching one take pictures of art? I am too lazy to check my old trip report - time and space are warping none the less.

Back to vondel park for a break. Have you ever noticed that when you sit by the waters edge, when people walk by, that the ground actually bounces? Was a strange sensation when solid ground is an illusion. ( guess folks dealing with sink holes know this one all too well)

Then back to the boat to walk the dog. Tak came over for our prearranged dinner date. He took us to Zaat100 a squat restaurant with entertainment etc. but when we got there - the place was closed down. I think they close for August... Restaurant luck appears to be consistent, even with help! Went over to t'orange. (More or less the correct name) once seated, the mate and i realized we were not really hungry...so Tak had mussels and we each had a bowl of ice cream (This IS a vacation - cuz we just do not eat or buy ice cream in real life - I just blenderize some frozen bananas and almond milk - add cocoa or frozen strawberries or blueberries )

Back to Asoka for more relaxing and story sharing. OH - I was gifted with a jar of the infamous Smoked Peppers! Thanks Tak and thanks SP - can't wait to sample your product... But gonna wait till we get back to the states before we open that jar!

As we were leaving Asoka, I whacked Tak's computer screen with my bag and knocked it over. Thank gawd it fell on to a cushioned surface... Geeez
Living up to my new name

....the destroyer

.....be careful, very careful around me.

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Tue Aug 20, 6:14 pm

Any good recommendations from Grey Area?

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Tue Aug 20, 6:59 pm

MikeFromTx wrote:Any good recommendations from Grey Area?

grey haze. - morning
Casey jones. Afternoon
Sky walker - evening

Like King Kong from voyagers also a good sativa different than grey haze

MikeFromTx
super power poster
super power poster

Postby MikeFromTx » Wed Aug 21, 9:13 am

worldcitizen1723 wrote:
MikeFromTx wrote:Any good recommendations from Grey Area?

grey haze. - morning
Casey jones. Afternoon
Sky walker - evening

Like King Kong from voyagers also a good sativa different than grey haze

Thanks. I'm looking forward to trying some of these.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Wed Aug 21, 9:49 am

Good morning everyone!

August 17

It's market day! I love market day, but honestly, the mate went out and did the shopping, I stayed in to write up a trip report and do my web work -
But sitting on the porch the music from the market and the sun pouring over me definitely worked their magic.

Mate went to find paper for the dog (he pisses on paper, if he needs to go and we are not near by).. Anyway it's Saturday and weekend papers are much more expensive- so he asks the guy at the bookstore if perhaps he has some old papers- the guy wants to know what for. The mate points at the dog, who is with him. The book store guy came back with a whole pile of papers for free, saying I hope you do not mind that they are Christian papers. The mate laughed and said they would be perfect.

Sitting outside on the porch, there are so many wasted guys in paddle boats.
Looking alcohol buzzed, ready to keel over and it is not yet noon!

Lots of fancy boats with fancy people, noses in the air with elitist attitudes.
Personally I feel more of a kinship with the funky boats and people. Mate steps in side and 4 young drunk British boys try to pick me up.

It's Hartjesdagen and we are excited! Been looking forward to this all year!
Just love the festival and the opera in the RDL. It was a real highlight of last years trip. So we go up there...there is nothing. The street is not decorated, the queens head bar is closed! What is going on? Came back to the house and checked the Internet to make certain I did not somehow have the wrong weekend..

Well no..it has been cancelled!!?!
It started in the 1300's only stopped when the Germans invasion... And now it is cancelled!?

It was cancelled due to it's growing popularity. The organizers could not pay for the extra police that were required. As the article said, it used to be just a bit of Amsterdam silliness (opera and cross dressing - the majority will dress up - so much fun) but it has gained international popularity....and the popularity killed it.

Now I also see that the long table canal concert that we attended last year has also been cancelled - not sure why....but it is yet another traditional activity that perhaps may be disappearing.... Sort of like the old stone sidewalks being replaced with the new flat bricks.

Went over to voyagers and bumped into Gapie and Hillbilly. It was hillbilly's last day and he invited us to join him at Erste hulp later in the day to dab some oil...
But you know how later in the day is in Amsterdam... We never did connect with them again.

We left voyagers to go down the canal and catch some of the grachtenfest concerts. There were 5 pontoons set up along the canal with plenty of space between them. There were 5 different concerts and if you timed it right you could catch all of them. We did most- but , can i say, the kids orchestra, sounded like kids.
Reminded me of every bad kids orchestra I had ever been in.

We ended up sitting outside of basjoes to hear the final concert. Gawd that place has changed. Not one ounce of the old vibe remains. Too bad they replaced such a gezellig atmosphere with a modern cold design -- it's just like the sidewalks!

I would like to mention an under lining of hostility that I have never seen before in this city. It's subtle, but there. There are not the open embracing smiles from the Dutch, that I have grown accustomed too. Young mothers have stern faces, the wealthy boat people instead of having (even a faked acknowledgment that we are in this together) appear to have disdain for the rest of the population. AND then at one of the concert sites, there were a whole slew of folding chairs. So I went to get a couple, well - I thought this Dutch women was going to beat me up, grabbing the chair out of my hand
(There were plenty of them) screaming she was there first..... There had been no one near the chairs..... Anyway, I was so taken aback by her behavior, I decided sitting on the ground would be better - and it was! cuz this was the children's concert and we would have been obligated to sit thru the whole gawd awful thang if I had gotten a chair!

Back at basjoes we sat next to two women and a gentleman who were born in Amsterdam and now live in Salt Lake City , Utah. Interestingly, they do not smoke, but like the smell of good pot...so they sit in coffeeshops -
Never encountered that before.

Came back to a quiet dinner and an uneventful and relaxed evening
On the boat...which the mate calls the best coffeeshop in Amsterdam.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Aug 22, 10:35 am

Chichi - I am funky, but as a NYer I wear a thousand shades of black. Color
Is just unimaginable - lol but here I could see myself becoming one of those crazy patterned ladies... It is just not transferable!

August 18

Rain
The sound of rain, heavy rain all night
There is something really comforting and cocoon like in the houseboat
Surrounded by water on water. Woke naturally at 9am. The rain is gone. It is a quiet no agenda sunday. Amsterdam has no agenda on Sundays, so neither do I.

Ready to leave the boat, we decide today is a good day to go to NDSM docklands
As it was the Summer Of Love celebration today. Interesting creative spot
A hippie sensibility - but not like ruigoord - perhaps a bit more upscale in the people that were attracted to the spot. Kids - Lilliputians everywhere and I do mean everywhere. So many I could not imagine blowing a joint. There was yoga, massages and live music. A beach with sand and carved out boats as benches. But all rather family like... Not really inclusive to others. A bit further was a big boat with thumping music filled with 20 somethings - perhaps I should say packed with young things. We did not enter, as the vibe was clearly not one that included our kind.

Perhaps at night this place would be a better choice, albeit more difficult to get to as the direct ferry stops at midnight.

Actually the funniest thing was an encounter with a young guy who stopped me in a bit of a panic - he said he did not have the 15 minutes to wait for the next ferry and that he must get to Central Station immediately, cuz he was gonna miss his plane. He implored me to give him directions as to how he can walk to Central Station. I explained that it was on the other side of the IJ and there was No Way to walk to Central Station. He did not believe me and was adamant that i was wrong - he headed off. Me thinks he not only missed his flight, but perhaps got mightily lost to boot.

On. The ferry ride back the water was so rough that it was splashing into the boat. Took a spin thru the city and once again found ourselves with very poor time management - as it was much later than we thought.

But, no matter- it's party time!
Tak is throwing a BBQ!!

Had the delight of finally connecting with mobilechuckje and his better half : >
Along with Marco and his delightful partner.
Also Jon from the market- another big hearted guy.
Thanks Tak for making this possible!

Tak in his red apron, tended to the grilling chores
Should have taken a picture. I am so not good about that.
He even found vegetarian burgers and Bratwurst at AH for us!
Somewhere during the evening a couple of heads were seen bobbing in the canal alongside the boat! Someone declares there's Tutti and Ohm! Cool - they arrived by boat! Just as they arrived another friend of Tak's from the
Market came thru the door and the party continued.

What fun!
Plenty of laughs
Good times shared
More connections made

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Thu Aug 22, 3:34 pm

Was Marco super cool?

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”