August 7th, 8th, 9th

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

August 7th, 8th, 9th

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Aug 08, 11:28 pm

August 7th

August 7

The dog had a horrible night. So then did we. He was awake and whining every 15 to 20 minutes. He drank more water than I could think was possible. The dehydrating flying machine must have really gotten to him this time around.

We staggered awake as spaced out as when we arrived. Actually I awoke the mate snored on. Went over to the winkel across the square. Caught the morning sun with the locals. Many carried on conversations with me in Dutch, I smiled nodded and grunted appropriately (at least I think I did!). Caffeinated I returned to stir the snoring beast and take care of details....like bikes

Went to rent our bikes, signed the papers...and right on cue: the rain started. Okay, it was drizzle, but water from the sky, none the less.

Task number 2 get SIM cards for the phones. Have read people saying this one or that one is better... Didjya know they are all the same? Vodaphone, bel t-mobile all the same price all the same deal

Lol - I did not know that it meant you got a new phone number too...freaked me out....now no one from the states can reach us....this was a stupid idea.

Still drizzle. Rode over to dampring on haarlemstraat. Never really spent much time here. It is a total tourist shop, loads of youthful travel energy and backpacks. It was packed. But it was raining now pretty hard,so we climbed the stairs to the top floor. Great big windows looking down to the street. The design of the shop is nice. But the seats were clearly chosen to make certain you did not stay too long.

The rain slowed. Decided to just leave the bikes and walk home with the umbrella I had so wisely packed as a a permanent fixture in my bag. They have been re-bricking Prinsengracht... Well, a shudder went down my spine. THE SIDEWALKS ARE WIDER smooth and even.. And the XXX red poles are GONE!

Maybe I am crazy, but I really love the impossibly small uneven sidewalks and those poles that can take you down when you're not paying attention. This sleeker more modern version, saddens me just like the newer houseboats.

Got home, unlocked the door and the skies opened up. on the radio a strange jazz version of singing in the rain in French.
Life is perfect sometimes.

Did some work *
More about that on another day ...

Decided to go over to Spirit and test out the pinball machines
They have 2 new machines (new to me, since last years visit)

We were having fun and playing poorly, the last time I touched a machine was last year, so kind of expected.. even a descent player needs a little time to regain their touch
(Excuses, excuses)

One striking thing...the top player on all levels from every machine was TS.
There happened to be one other playing while we were there.....and he was good. He was very good. So the mate goes over to him between games- and asks if perhaps he was the infamous TS. Well .. Of course he was - Thomas from Poland after some conversation he says we should play together. Oh great pinball humiliation is in my future. The mate went up lost his ball
rather quickly. Then TS played a little longer than the mate and lost his ball too.....then it was my turn. I took a deep breath and thought I can do this...just relax. Cheshire Cat sized grin. I am playing good. Really good. The machine is singing and flashing - I think hey- this might not be so humiliating. Then

SMASH!

It sounded like the glass on the machine shattered. It didn't. But the sound was so loud.. We all stared at the machine and there is my ball stuck between the glass and on top of a design piece of the game. The mate and TS nearly turn the machine on it's side - pounding and shaking it.

I had this terrible sinking feeling that I had just ruined the play of a perfectly wonderful machine...not just for us....but for everyone else too. I was beginning to feel just terrible. But, lo and behold a new ball arrived for the next player. The game went on. Even multiballs seem not to be affected by my misplaced ball.

We played a couple more games. Of course TS beat us shamelessly, but I beat the mate! : >. ( with our scores, probably nothing to brag about!)@

If you happen by Spirit and see the stuck ball on AC/DC.... You will know exactly how it got there!

Had Indian food at Shah Ja-Han in the Joordan. Not bad, very fresh tasting, not the over cooked mush sometimes served as Indian Food

Came home and for the first time ever, the mate fell asleep in mid sentence ....
Maybe this sleep will be better..

Tall Guy
super poster
super poster

Re: August 7th, 8th, 9th

Postby Tall Guy » Fri Aug 09, 6:41 am

worldcitizen1723 wrote:
Came home and for the first time ever, the mate fell asleep in mid sentence

This really made me laugh, one of those "Only in Amsterdam" moments. Great reading as ever WC, have a good trip.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Fri Aug 09, 8:59 pm

How is the dog?

Oh...and you guys too of course. Have fun dammit.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: August 7th, 8th, 9th

Postby MileHighDenver » Fri Aug 09, 9:44 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:Maybe I am crazy, but I really love the impossibly small uneven sidewalks and those poles that can take you down when you're not paying attention. This sleeker more modern version, saddens me just like the newer houseboats.

Dat is een "Amsterdamiji". The city council will not allow any removed to be replaced. They are on their way out.

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: with his mouth full of teddies, jumbo's urinating seems defiant.

Postby chigusa » Fri Aug 09, 9:55 pm

are they selling them on? bottom line and all that.

Frosted
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Frosted » Fri Aug 09, 10:06 pm

Holy shit....and then a cow.......wc.... being as you are there, maybe you can find out where that stuff is.....and buy it.

I will bet dollars....there will be a market for that stuff...espically here

as the coffee shops start opening.....not to mention the resturants, and clubs

come on people.....look for the larger image...

imo...as the markets open there will be a craze... as with any up and comming thing

Couldent anyone envision....amsterdam theme... type place's

How is the dog....sad to hear of some of the changes.

thanks... for the pinball story...I love it too.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Fri Aug 09, 10:31 pm

I do hope they offer some for sale rather than scrapping them all, I could use a few out front and in my garden

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Fri Aug 09, 11:25 pm

chigusa wrote:are they selling them on? bottom line and all that.

I have seen them for sale at the Black Market in Beverwijk in the past. I have no doubt the Dutch will capitalize on the value once recognized if not already. The no replacement has been the rule for a few years I think.

Frosted
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Frosted » Fri Aug 09, 11:42 pm

Oh shit...............

I want TITS................

I should say "the tits"

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sat Aug 10, 12:03 am

I believe the tits are in place...the poles...don't know
...but will try to find out

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sat Aug 10, 2:19 am

I would love to have a "nut knocker" or two for my yard but I imagine the shipping cost alone would be prohibitive.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Sat Aug 10, 10:28 am

Bohannon wrote:I would love to have a "nut knocker" or two for my yard but I imagine the shipping cost alone would be prohibitive.

It would sure make the hand luggage heavy

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sat Aug 10, 11:04 am

August 8th

Dog is better.

We Woke a bit ragged once again. Let me confess - to help manifest my dream of moving here, I have been trying my luck with websites to see if it is really possible to make money with them. So, I have this website, it's a site that leads people to free samples of different products - I have never paid such things any attention, but there does seem to be an audience. Anyway there is a specific timing as to how the site works best.....It Means I must post between 2pm and 4pm. And then......this is the ludicrous part: at 3am. And again at 5 am. (Obviously this is simple in the states) The first should take maybe 6 to 10 minutes, at most the second 3 to 6 minutes. Well this night the Internet gods decided that they did not want to play, the 3am posting ended up taking almost 40 minutes. Frustration at 3am is just not fun!

Anyway this is an ongoing saga, waking to Jacque Brel singing in the Port of Amsterdam (that's the alarm) at ungodly hours.. Especially since sleep before 01 is impossible. ... every two hours...

coffee on the porch with the early morning sun still feels like paradise. Even though tired, am beginning to actually feel relaxed!

Retrieved the bikes from their forced rain lock up

Went to grey area
They were still closed

Went to voyagers picked up the King Kong gotta admit it was the most notable sativa thus far!

Smoked up, got on the bikes and watched the mate side swipe and smash into a pole. Little later, he almost wiped out getting his tire caught in the tram tracks
..guess the King Kong is pretty good.

Had pancakes in the park at the pancake house... Really delicious
They were those big thin crepe like pancakes with apples. Had a cappuccino that was gut cleaning strong. So decided to add some milk to it. Ewwuuuuu
What happened??? The mate had gone to pick up some milk...he did not look properly and brought back Karnenmelk. We just dumped it in and boy did THAT taste bad! As everyone except us, knows, that Karnenmelk is butter milk!

Btw Amsterdam is still beautiful

Rode around the park. Returned to walk the dog and do, some web work.
The porch on the Houseboat is the perfect coffeeshop and work station.

Back on the bikes - rode thru RLD. It's Getting cleaner and cleaner... Reminds of NYC..... I miss the grit!

Went over to Rembrandtplein to tourist watch. They have the life sized night watch back standing in the park. Same dance crew as last year have taken over and the park. Sat outside at Smokeys - got pear juice. they serve REAL FRESH LY JUICED PEAR JUICE! delicious!

Return to play with the dog and give him a good walk. Grabbed the bikes and went over to Westerpark and then to the restaurant Pacific Parc where we met Winnie for dinner. Rode over unannounced to Asoka where we were graciously invited in. Gotta say - I meant to call all day, I could just never figure out our timing so I kept hesitating. Then Winnie announced that she always just shows up. If that was me in NYC - I would not be as gracious with unannounced company!

But...we. Had a wonderful evening with Tak and Winnie. Plenty of laughter and good vibes...

perfectie

Lovin being here!

chigusa
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: with his mouth full of teddies, jumbo's urinating seems defiant.

Postby chigusa » Sat Aug 10, 11:15 am

they sing and they dance, and they laugh and they lust.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Aug 10, 7:00 pm

If by 'poles' you mean bollards, there's a cracking photo of one that looks like a dick on a tree over on the Asoka website!

Peace, Des.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Aug 11, 10:22 am

August 9th

I could get accustomed to this life. Breakfast on the porch in the sun. Strolled over to 137 with the dog, walked thru the Jordaan pointing out the different places we have stayed and Noticing all of the new houseboats. Browersgracht is getting fancy.

Came back to go out exploring. Grabbed the bikes and deposited the pooch. Decided to find Hugo de Groot and the kashmir lounge. Lol, did we ever get lost! Totally overshot our destinations. At one point I had three guys at a skate shop all with their iPhones and google maps... We were soo not in the right area. After all it should have been a 9 minute ride from us, not a 90 minute plus. Anyway we managed to get our selves back to home base and decided maybe food would be the thing.

The mate made the breakfast of eggs, cheese, toasted sourdough bread, tomatoe, freshly sliced orange and blueberries. Ended with some kind of rhubarb torte.

Looked at the maps wrote down directions and restarted. How did we miss them??

The plan was to find them and then ride over to Vondel park. All was good. I looked behind me and there was no mate. I stopped waited. Nothing. I retraced the route to the last place I was sure he was with me... No mate. I went back and forth like this at least 5 times in 30 minutes. No mate. Did not know quite what to do, so went to an outdoor cafe. Pulled my stuff out and there is a text from him

-I got lost
I am on the big street-

Geez. What big street? They are ALL big streets!
I ride around, have no idea what he is talking about

I ask what street -- he says I am at the taco mundo-
I start asking people on the street where is the taco mundo....no one knows of it

He sends another text and says he is coming to find me. Great. This is crazy!
I am about to give up
Pull over one more time totally involved with what I am doing, have the phone out, calling the mate.....look behind me and there is the mate with his head down trying to call me....we were less than 5 feet away from each other. Felt like a grade B movie.

Finally made it over to vondel park
Rode around the park a few times
And decided we should buy some food
Back to the hood
Bought the groceries and as we walked out of the shop
Remembered we were still on bikes..
Geez- how quickly we forgot about them in the store.
So with a precarious balancing act we made it back
Had Dinner
Then out for
A buy and fly at voyagers
And pinball at Spirit rounded out the evening

(They fixed the machine at Spirit so my ball is no longer stuck in the netherworld)

the legs are feeling the effects of the bike.
But we are smiling

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”