Day Three: Sloth

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Day Three: Sloth

Postby Dogbreath » Fri Feb 28, 7:36 pm

Another fine sunny morning.

We sauntered past the Poezenboot cat boat on Singel, the felines just starting to come out and enjoy the full length outdoor enclosed area, where they can meditate out into the morning sun.

The day began at Central coffee shop, for a morning smoke. We next extracted some Euros from the Central Station ATM, then to Free World Internet Cafe. On to the Bush Doktor on Thorbechstraat at Rembrantplien. Amazingly, in the late morning, the place was mellow, music at a tolerable volume, so we sat and had a nice smoke.

Heading back to the hotel for a catnap, we caught a tram at Muntplien, the kind with the conductor sitting in a cage in the rear. I gave him my strippenkarten with only two stamps on it , and asked if he stamps it or do I.

"No goot", the conductor stated.

"Huh?"

After some language understanding issues were resolved, it seemed I had started my stamping sequence at 15, then workd down to 13, etc, which is against the rules, which therefore means my strippenkarten is"" üsed up".

Ï never knew that", I honestly said.

""No goot! Off de trom!""

We met Nogbin at De Kuil at 6 pm, then hopped the train to Haarlam. Here we intended to have a dinner at Wilma & Alberts Steak Huise, then go to a cofffee shop. We first stopped in at the old Frans Hals coffee shop.... now the Willie Wortel Sativa shop. We gawked disappointingly at the pathetic menu, and left.

Where is that steakhouse? We ended up walking all the way down to the Willie Wortel main headquarters coffee shop, by "de wader"". The city was quite alive and active, this being Thursday, shopping night when all the stores stay open till 8 or 9 pm.

The coffeeshop was large. Looked like a former dance club, except where the dance floor in the middle was, you see two pooltables. The place was almost empty, as we had a smoke and coffees.

Hungry, we began the hunt for Wilma & Alberts. We simply walked back on the main shopping drag to the big church square.... every city in Holland seems to have one... must be a national law or something. There, behind the church.

The eatery was impressively efficient. Nice gazellig vibes, low key. Best of all, they served the finest steak I have ever had. Yum... dead animal flesh never tasted so good. Nor did we die of old age waiting for our check, our party being an anomoly, since we did not elect to camp out here like most of the other Nederland patrons. Will certainly have to visit here again.

Pleasantly and moderatly engorged, we ambled back to the train station, stopping at Sativa coffee shop for some nice coffees and an after dinner smoke. Refreshed, pleasantly buzzed again, onto the station, where we caught the Stoptrain back to Amsterdam.

In Amsterdam, it was late, and Nogbin left us, getting ready for departure the next morning. We wanderered through the RLD doing some recon... and the sights were... interesting.

We stood across the canal from our hotel and had a final nighcap smoke, since the Brouwer is a "no smoking" hotel. It was so nice and pleasant... just wearing a jacket, we just watched the world slowly go by. A boat came down the canal, stopping and checking things every few minutes. Soon, we saw it was a police boat, checking for apparantly unusual boot activity.... just out doing some checking.

Another fine day in Amsterdam

:-) Dogbreath

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Postby BlueBerry » Fri Feb 28, 8:06 pm

Hurrah!!! Ole dogbreath finally made it to the Wilma & Alberts in Haarlem. I am very glad to hear you enjoyed it and that you will fit it into your itinerary for future visits:)) I knew you wouldnt be disappointed as I have not on the countless times I have ate there. The cook definitely knows how to cook an awesome steak to absolute perfection!

Only wish I could have been there with ya!

And again, another great report, thanks man,

BlueBerry

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Sat Mar 01, 1:04 am

Sound like another super day, man I can just visualize being there. You do a good trip report!

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Re: WWS sativa menu

Postby a bollocks » Sat Mar 01, 2:18 am

Dogbreath wrote:Another fine sunny morning.

We first stopped in at the old Frans Hals coffee shop.... now the Willie Wortel Sativa shop. We gawked disappointingly at the pathetic menu, and left.

:-) Dogbreath

Hey Fuzzy-Dice! Please embellish on the patheticness of WWSS' menu. Damn, I thought all WW shops in Haarlem rocked! I'm planning a side-trip (emphasis on da trip) to Upper Manhattan's namesake... Blueberry's trip-logs sounded so cool. Please expound upon said-disappointment as only you can. Thanks. Also, I sincerely hope your "better third" Dogbreath is feeling better.

WOOP!

Bon Bon Billy
super poster
super poster

Thanks

Postby Bon Bon Billy » Sat Mar 01, 12:42 pm

Those strippenkaart deals really vary. In Haarlem, I tried to use an Amsterdam day pass on the bus and the conductor told me 'no good, only in Amsterdam' but motioned me to a seat on the bus. I guess it just depends on the driver or where you are.

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Postby BlueBerry » Sat Mar 01, 8:35 pm

I had no problems just using a regular strippenkart in Haarlem and AMS however the day passes are only for AMS. As far as can tell you can pretty much use the strippenkarts anywhere, well except on the trains!

buckofive
power poster
power poster

Postby buckofive » Wed Mar 05, 1:01 pm

You can even use strippenkart on trains! If there is tram or metro service between the train stations you can simply stamp the same number of zones as if you were riding the tram but board the train instead.

You can use this in places like Amstel or Duivendrecht Muiderpoort etc...

Just so you know!

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”