Welcome to those who wish to register.

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Bon Bon Billy
super poster
super poster

Welcome to those who wish to register.

Postby Bon Bon Billy » Sat Jan 25, 4:54 pm

I must say, after years of fake email addresses attached to forum posts or more often no email or registered usernames, I like the idea of a registered area. For the most part, The Channels Amsterdam Forum has wonderful posters who thrive in the atmosphere of being in our favorite city or discussing A'dam remotely.

I'm really open to intelligents discussions on any subject. What I don't want is to get slammed by some skulking internet user whose only purpuse is to mess with others.

I will visit this forum often.

Thanks Boardhost

Progress

Postby Progress » Sat Jan 25, 5:23 pm

So since this category of the forum (chanelites) is members only, you think it will be a more mature atmosphere? I know that this forum is kind of like a "meeting point" where members can set up a rendezvous with other members, but I kind of see it as a place for the regulars to be able to converse freely without being slammed, as you said.

I also see it as a place where regulars can discuss the more intricate details about their travels, since it's segregated from all other messages. In the old forum, too many posts on a few rediculous subjects tended to push a lot of interesting posts down toward the bottom of the page. I got bogged down in the useless rhetoric and immature depravity that I was seeing there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I look forward to watching this section thrive on the knowledge of the individuals posting herein, that's all. And I hope that those individuals are as enthusiastic about it as myself, because in the long years ahead of me I intend to benefit as much as possible from all knowledge gained in every experience. Having access to the valueable nuggets of information that all the wonderful people here have to offer will surely benefit us all.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

This should help...

Postby Bohannon » Sat Jan 25, 7:12 pm

...to keep out the posers and flamers. I would like to see all of the (ir)regulars use this section as their primary discussion point. I guess what I need to do is get comfortable with this new format so that I know where to go, LOL

Hans
regular
regular

Safe?

Postby Hans » Sun Jan 26, 2:14 am

I fail to understand why this new forum and its Channelites section for registered users only would be free of flamers and posers. Suppose I wanted to be one, then I just register as a new user and flame and pose away, just like the old forum. And when Bas disables my account, like blocking some ip addresses, I will return registering as another user. So where does the security come in???
Last edited by Hans on Sun Jan 26, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Progress

Postby Progress » Sun Jan 26, 2:22 am

I don't necessarily think it's really that secure, because you're right, it would be too easy to keep making fake accounts. But just the fact that it's members only has a certain comforting appeal to it.

Oh well, maybe we won't have as many flames as before since it may be too much work for some people to register just to bash us.

If it happens in the future, I think we should just ignore it. I know this has been suggested many times before, and some pople just get furious and have to reply to the flames....a new format isn't necessarily the solution to the problem, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

Bon Bon Billy
super poster
super poster

Flame retardent

Postby Bon Bon Billy » Sun Jan 26, 6:18 am

The registration for this forum will not keep flamers away but it will keep some out. The biggest edge is the use of a valid email. Some of the insulting posters are kids with bad attitudes. They like to sneak around and cause some havoc. Having to register,reveal your email address and wait for an activation email will run off more of the casual jerks than you might think.

And if they continue to post.......

Well, I would much rather respond to some of them privately in their email accounts than on a public forum where they can get a lot of attention. This format will help a great deal. We may have a few regulars who also masquerade under some of the phony usernames on the old board. That will stop as your registered username is the one which appears by your post.

I am very optimistic.

SB
power poster
power poster

Will still have flamers

Postby SB » Sun Jan 26, 5:11 pm

I think flamers will still be posting on this board. It is just now they will be posting under the same username until they are banned. They will then create a new username using a hotmail account and try again. I do hope though that the new format will at least slow then down.

Bill

confuzn
power poster
power poster

Flasmers

Postby confuzn » Sun Jan 26, 7:47 pm

Nost flamers arn't that smart, and even if they were you could block their IP's. If you have a mildly intelligent flamer he could even get passed that by using one of the 2,000 open proxy servers around the Internet. There is no true way of eliminating Flamers, but like you said hopefully it will slow down the abuse.

confuzn

TomFindley
just in
just in

Postby TomFindley » Mon Jan 27, 3:11 pm

One feature that I don't see here is the ability to report a post to the moderator, who can delete . When someone goes to all the trouble of multiple registrations, emails, and DIFFERENT COMPUTERS, and has the messages deleted, they eventually go away. This has happened on 1 other forum.

confuzn
power poster
power poster

Postby confuzn » Mon Jan 27, 4:42 pm

I agree, we need a panic button to contact Bas. J/K! It would be nice if we did have a report abuse button for the Moderators.

confuzn

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Re: Safe?

Postby Dogbreath » Mon Jan 27, 6:47 pm

Her Hans:

You are right... the new format will not keep flamers at bay. Yes, they will flame, Bas will block access, they will appear again under a different address, and the cycle will continue for a few iterations.

However, in past years, severe flaming episodes would have Bas delete and block. But usually, after a couple of iterations, the flame-throwers lost interest or patience, and wandered off into the great unknown. Not all that different from what programmers call an "Endless Loop"... only without the mindless repedative persitance of a silicon chip.

By the way, I really dig your logo... avantar or whatever the term is. Nice rags.........

:-) Dogbreath

Hans wrote:I fail to understand why this new forum and its Channelites section for registered users only would be free of flamers and posers. Suppose I wanted to be one, then I just register as a new user and flame and pose away, just like the old forum. And when Bas disables my account, like blocking some ip addresses, I will return registering as another user. So where does the security come in???

Hans
regular
regular

Painting

Postby Hans » Mon Jan 27, 9:36 pm

I put the entire picture of the painting from which I took my avatar on my homepage. It is a painting by Pieter de Hoogh who was born in Rotterdam but spent much of his life in Delft where he painted many images of the town where I was born several hundred years later...

Robert

Flamers

Postby Robert » Tue Jan 28, 3:41 am

Sorry to sound dumb, but what is a flamer?

confuzn
power poster
power poster

Postby confuzn » Tue Jan 28, 5:06 am

From Webopedia

Flame ie flamer

(n) A searing e-mail, message board or newsgroup message in which the writer attacks another participant in overly harsh, and often personal, terms. Flames are an unfortunate, but inevitable, element of unmoderated conferences.
=-=-=-=-=-=-
From Netlingo

To send nasty or insulting messages via e-mail or to post them on a newsgroup. This is usually done in response to someone having broken the rules of netiquette. A "flamer" is someone who sends these messages.

SomeBozo
just in
just in

Postby SomeBozo » Tue Jan 28, 3:09 pm

Its good :)

slither
super power poster
super power poster

Re: Welcome to those who wish to register.

Postby slither » Tue Apr 19, 3:15 am

Bon Bon Billy wrote: I'm really open to intelligents discussions on any subject. What I don't want is to get slammed by some skulking internet user whose only purpuse is to mess with others.

LMFAO.

He said "skulking."

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Mon May 02, 9:37 am

slither wrote:
Bon Bon Billy wrote: I'm really open to intelligents discussions on any subject. What I don't want is to get slammed by some skulking internet user whose only purpuse is to mess with others.

LMFAO.

He said "skulking."

So he did. But he said it EIGHT years ago!

Why bring it up now?

:-)

slither
super power poster
super power poster

Postby slither » Sun Jun 05, 9:10 pm

uk*bag*lady wrote:
slither wrote:

LMFAO.

He said "skulking."

So he did. But he said it EIGHT years ago!

Why bring it up now?

:-)

Oh do fuck right off, Sue - malignant confused cunt that you are.

Cheers,

Slith

(Requisite smiley face: ;-) )

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sun Jun 05, 9:28 pm

slither wrote:

Cheers,

Slith

Were you abused by a kind nurturing woman when you were a child?

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Mon Jun 06, 1:53 am

I'm with slither.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Mon Jun 06, 9:52 am

Old Fart wrote:
slither wrote:

Cheers,

Slith

Were you abused by a kind nurturing woman when you were a child?

He probably wasn't poor sod which is why he is such an unpleasant fucker now

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Mon Jun 06, 1:59 pm

boneymaroni wrote:I'm with slither.

You two need to read the sun a bit.

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Mon Jun 06, 2:07 pm

It's simple....either be The Mayor and moderate or fuck off.

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Mon Jun 06, 2:24 pm

boneymaroni wrote:It's simple....either be The Mayor and moderate or fuck off.

What moderating needs to be done? except for deleting posts from c.basher there is none....

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Mon Jun 06, 2:46 pm

I don't believe that Channels needs a Mayor. Though entertaining at times, the entire "Mayor" charade is hypocritic..at best.

Demanding to be removed as a moderator...stomping off to Asoka complaining about Channels....returning as the super-moderator "Mayor"..isn't that special!

It is what it is shezz.

slither
super power poster
super power poster

Postby slither » Sun Jun 12, 12:29 am

boneymaroni wrote:I don't believe that Channels needs a Mayor. Though entertaining at times, the entire "Mayor" charade is hypocritic..at best.

Demanding to be removed as a moderator...stomping off to Asoka complaining about Channels....returning as the super-moderator "Mayor"..isn't that special!

It is what it is shezz.

Nee nee, it is all the work of a kind, nurturing female soul.

Happy grazing.

Cheers,

Slith

"...I like it because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”