Living abroad

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Living abroad

Postby Generous_J » Wed Feb 01, 2:52 am

I would be interested to hear from members who decided to take the 'plunge' and move abroad - A significant move btw (not just US to Canada or England to Wales) - What prompted you to do this, where did you go and was it as difficult as many suppose it may be?

Am currently considering relocating to Salamanca, Spain.

Philter
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Philter » Thu Feb 02, 4:46 am

From my experience, some people hand out mostly with people from same home country or speaking the same language.

There are 2 approaches. Staying as the outsider, for instance, perpetually out of the loop, not really getting to know the new culture or language or people, speaking English loudly with friends etc. following the home country sports and news and not the new country, etc.

or 2, completely gaining a new identity as it were as a native.

perhaps there is also a middle ground there as well.

I am not sure if you have to decide in advance which path is for you but I find this fascinating as I have known people at both extremes.

slither
super power poster
super power poster

Postby slither » Sat Mar 24, 8:26 pm

Depending on what you seek, where you choose to live and whether you're concerned with standing out or blending in in your chosen locale, your experiences may vary widely. I lived in Latin America for several years, and have spent much time in Europe and Asia as well. In my experience, motivation and necessity are a big factor in the level of immersion, or assimilation, as it were, and the local environment may dictate how one is perceived in any given place.

Staying aloof is easier in an area where you blend in physically and share the same language, as linguistically you will be better off and have an easier time of things. Where you do not share a common language, or physical attributes, you will have to learn at least enough to get by on a daily basis, and you will be recognizably different.

Although one may find pockets of expats in any given country, I find it a horrid proposition to think of embarking on such an adventure determined to associate only with one's own kind.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Living abroad

Postby alpha » Sun Apr 15, 4:23 am

Generous_J wrote:I would be interested to hear from members who decided to take the 'plunge' and move abroad

I did this once and i don't believe i would ever get involved with it again.

Generous_J wrote:A significant move btw (not just US to Canada or England to Wales)

This was a very significant move!

Generous_J wrote:What prompted you to do this,

She was unfortunately a fat old broad and she was squashing the antique chair she tried to sit in, there was no choice!

Generous_J wrote:where did you go and was it as difficult as many suppose it may be?

Across the room, but she said she had gout, in both legs, so you'd have to ask the six guys who tried to 'move' her. Three came away from the experience with strained backs...

Generous_J wrote:Am currently considering relocating to Salamanca, Spain.

Leave your broad at home and you'll do fine.=)

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”