June 2011. an Amsterdam vacation

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

June 2011. an Amsterdam vacation

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Jun 12, 6:08 pm

landed !!!!!!!

the transition is always jaw dropping.

geez, climb into a metal cylinder and literally exit hours later into another time and space.

besides, we left three days of unseasonably hot, 99 degree steamy heat in NYC to land in a place with a high of 57.
totally another land!

the trip began with a small bump

cashed in miles to upgrade to business class (for the going portion of the flight, could not get them for the return, at least not yet : > ) booked this about 6 months ago well got to the airport and at check in found out that they had split me and my mate up and we are no longer sitting together! (I never changed my name when we hitched so in the computers somehow we got separated) the mate was livid. the check in lady said the flight was full and there was no chance of a change. the mate went quietly ballistic, and explained that it was a special occasion and that we must sit together. (Isn't going to Amsterdam always a special occasion??) Not mentioning the fact that rishi the wonder dog would howl his sweet head off. Anyway she said she could see what could be done. out of our hands, but not the best start.

the KLM crew was late and the boarding was delayed, we stood behind and chatted up a couple who lived in Amsterdam with an 8 month old baby (my biggest fear on a plane!). The crew arrived with the air of super heroes coming to save the day. when the ground staff announced pre boarding for those needing assistance and traveling with children. The couple with baby moved forward, we followed behind them, at the gate, after the family had disappeared, the attendant asked if we were traveling with the family. My mate, without missing a beat, said yes, so we were passed thru. Then the man who checked the boarding passes, yelled congratulations to me as we entered the gangway. the mate and i burst out laughing wondering what we were being congratulated for. We were eventually seated together, but in the center, not the window and aisle seat that we were originally booked in, the mate was not happy. Some where during the flight one of the stewardesses came over and asked what was the special occasion? my mate and i looked at each other and i answered it was our 40th* anniversary, not quite a lie as we did celebrate that last month. {* 14 years living together, 26 actually married} , ( In reality, this was JUST a trip to Amsterdam) when we were getting close to landing, another stewardess came over and said that the crew had been talking about us and that the other stewardess must have not heard me correctly as we could not have possibly been together that long, perhaps 10 or 20 years, certainly not longer than that. lol. anyway she later returned to our seat with a 'special' gift. The crew had decided to give us one of the KLM delft glass houses, but they chose to give us house number 40 to commemorate the occasion. We were taken aback that they paid any attention at all!!??!! Oh, and the pre ordered special vegetarian meal was also not there for me. But they did an amazing job and even gave me the crew food, which was a huge salad with plenty of raw veggies and fruit on the side. (the crew eat well!) It really could not have been better plane food for me

first day was pretty spacey 24 hours of no sleep and baked in Amsterdam. Arrived about 6-am and thankfully was able to check into the apartment really early. : >

staying at a new apartment. Our favorite place on Princengracht has just become too expensive to justify. I love the luxury and arriving to a kitchen stocked with delicacies, great wines, cheeses, fruits and breads. but the place we are at is 2,000 euro less, even after the owner of the canal apartment offered us a steep discount . We are staying in the Jordaan, on lindenstraat first time ever with no canal view. It's a duplex with 2 bedrooms (insurance in case the mate hits a snoring jag) it has balconies on the street side and on the back garden side on both floors! great cross ventilation, well equipped and smoker friendly. the neighbors talk to each other across the street from their balconies, no sense of tourists, just a solid neighborhood. found it on my favorite apartment site: http://www.homelidays.co.uk/

(In true Amsterdam style, the owner of the expensive canal house has invited us out to dinner while we are here, as he can not imagine us being in his city and not spending some time together! Really, where else would that ever happen? )

we are two blocks away from the noordemarket: Saturday is of course market day. So after settling in, strolling to Barney's and beginning with 5 grams of Tangerine Dream the transition into our Dutch vacation has begun.

Off to the market filling our bags with gorgeous organic fruits and vegetables between the raindrops. Of course the two umbrellas that we so carefully packed, are back at the apartment. ahhh, handmade gnocchi, bread, pesto, dinner will be quite fine Off to Haarlemstraat for essentials: Oil and vinegar from Check Your Oil http://www.meeuwig.nl/ (their love and respect for oil and vinegar is inspired.. i adore the appreciation of the little things, the subtleties, that create the textures of life and experience.) add a south african wine, old amsterdam cheese, and we are set. how many hours of no sleep? losing count...

went to Barney's uptown for a smoke friendly breakfast/brunch. There is some kind of generator or something in the basement or under the floor at that place. I swear, check it out the next time you are there. There is a very subtle vibration (not a vibe) but a literal vibration. felt thru the floor and the cushions of the long couch. When you are exhausted, it makes you feel like your whole body is internally shaking and collapse is imminent. strange. i am certain it is not me, cuz as soon as we are anywhere else, there is no internal jitter. Did witness a young man experience a righteous whitey. he was attempting to leave, naturally right in front of our table. He freezes. his eyes glaze over. really, gone. his arms began to gesture mechanically. a friend attempted to grab him in a bear hug, but the whitey just melted into the floor. He was carried out, with cold water on his head.

roamed around the Jordaan to get orientated to our new location. came back to check on the dog. sat down on the couch and witnessed a perfect Amsterdam sky. from the front window the sky was clear and the sun was shining, from the back window, the clouds were thick and rain was falling.

the mate prepared a perfect dinner at the apartment followed by a stroll to Amnesia to finish the night off with Cherry (somethin) and Nepalese black balls.

finally sleep.
Last edited by worldcitizen1723 on Mon Jun 13, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jessica
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Jessica » Sun Jun 12, 6:26 pm

Nice report so far. Thanks.

kiwi_in_Oz
super power poster
super power poster

Postby kiwi_in_Oz » Mon Jun 13, 12:51 am

great start of the trip!

does rishi come with you into coffeeshops? How does he handle the trip?

more please :)

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Mon Jun 13, 10:02 am

day 2

5 hours sleep (awake, but not awake) the birds are singing. sounds like we are in the middle of the country. birds, birds, birds. no sounds that clue you into the fact that we are near the center of a city. this is a very relaxing apartment.

easy day. sunny, sunny, sunny. It's Pink day. no not a form of alternative acceptance, but rather some form of christian holiday where folks walk around and read you passages from the bible and tell you to act kindly and feel the call of God. sitting outside at coffeeshop 137 on Brouwersgracht smoking a joint and being read bible passages. humm It was interesting to note the myriad of emotional reactions that arose in this situation. First I was insulted, felt put upon with my space invaded. Almost wanted to fight with the lady sincerely reading to me. (one woman had come earlier and began reading in Dutch, I just said not Dutch, english) about 8 minutes later this second woman appears and says english? i nod and the reading begins. forced the self to relax, tried to accept this as a kind offering and not as religious indoctrination. After all, is it not the christian right in the Netherlands that says women should not hold office or even have the right to vote? I decided to not make a scene or deeply question the religious reader.

off to Barneys for some Dr Grinspoon. stuff looks like weeds or shake, not very pretty -at all- oh but the high is great for the morning. budtender agreed, said if they could make it look better, people would trust it more easily. anyway it is top notch.

walked over to Paradox for some fresh OJ and a study session and of course the chocaloupe

then

got the bikes and rode off to vondel park. lol. not sure what happened. (sure i do grinspooned brain!) You know how it is, enjoying the breeze, flying on the bikes. we were not paying attention. God only knows where we ended up. let us just say that for being at the most 10 minutes away from the park it took us an hour to find it Came in from a direction we would have NEVER expected! I could not retrace the trail we forged even if i tried. Looking at maps, can't quite figure out what we did. Just when you are certain you understand this city ha! Folk concerts in the park. really loved the combo of electric violin and accordion. had cappuccino and apple pie on the second level of the restaurant in the park.

made dinner in the apartment and went to Doors for the first pinball of the trip. the mate rocked the machine. i offered a respectable fight, just not good enough. Amnesia for some blue cheese and hash.

have not heard much about the weedpass, but will find out more as time goes on. it appears a number of our favored budtenders have moved on or have left the country. everything changes.....

hey Kiwi - the dog travels really well. sleeps mostly the entire time. about 5 hours into the flight he got a little whiney, but just needed some ice, after licking two ice cubes, he went back to sleep. In terms of coffeeshops it depends. If it is not to smokey we will bring him inside. do try to be mindful of his health. Paradox is great cuz of the big doors, the place always has good airflow. also anyplace with outdoor seating is not a problem.

FitZerOy
power poster
power poster

Postby FitZerOy » Mon Jun 13, 11:58 am

Always a great read, looking forward to more of the same!

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Mon Jun 13, 1:20 pm

Great report ... looking forward to more!

The dog situation sounds weird ... how come they let it travel in the passenger cabin with you and not in the cargo hold? Did it not crimp one off mid flight or take a piss up someone's leg?

Also, do the Dutchies not insist on a period of quarantine for dogs coming in from abroad?

Peace, Des.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Mon Jun 13, 5:21 pm

des wrote:Great report ... looking forward to more!

The dog situation sounds weird ... how come they let it travel in the passenger cabin with you and not in the cargo hold? Did it not crimp one off mid flight or take a piss up someone's leg?

Also, do the Dutchies not insist on a period of quarantine for dogs coming in from abroad?

Peace, Des.

des, the dog is small 7.5 lbs (3.4 kg). He travels in a small bag. Eats well the day of the trip and plays hard. so the trip is his night, he is well emptied and exhausted by flight time. he's been well trained and the trip is not a big deal for him. however i would not think of attempting Australia! : > there's no quarantine from US to Netherlands, have to have health certificates and such things. This is his 5th trip, only once did some one ask to see his papers.

thanks for cheering me on. if no one responded, i would soon stop posting

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Mon Jun 13, 5:47 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:

Peace, Des.

des, the dog is small 7.5 lbs (3.4 kg). He travels in a small bag. Eats well the day of the trip and plays hard. so the trip is his night, he is well emptied and exhausted by flight time. he's been well trained and the trip is not a big deal for him. however i would not think of attempting Australia! : > there's no quarantine from US to Netherlands, have to have health certificates and such things. This is his 5th trip, only once did some one ask to see his papers.

thanks for cheering me on. if no one responded, i would soon stop posting

Thanks for explaining things ... I'd love to take my dog to Amsterdam with me but she tends to do a dusty whenever she gets the chance, so I'd be too scared of losing her!

I hope you don't think this is a rude question, but are you male or female, WC1723?

Peace, Des.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Mon Jun 13, 6:47 pm

Really Des; you haven't figured that out by now?

BTW I am really enjoying your reports as well...keep on keeping on!

Couch
power poster
power poster

Postby Couch » Mon Jun 13, 7:19 pm

Enjoying reading your reports.

Do post it when you find a pinball machine in a coffeeshop. Pinball has always been my favorite pastime in coffeeshops, but machines get harder to find everytime I go.

Enjoy your trip!

27guldens
super poster
super poster

Postby 27guldens » Mon Jun 13, 10:47 pm

Thanks for the stories; and the next time someone tries to read you a passage from the Bible, tell them you are Russian.

Enjoy your trip!

padichar
power poster
power poster

great trip report

Postby padichar » Tue Jun 14, 3:10 pm

Hey World Citizen,

love the report so far sent you a PM to see how you were. Good to see that everything changes but does not until the ax falls...Oops definitely going to try to make it happen before you leave. Love the dog story ... Hum Have you been to mellow yellow they had great gear last time I was there. Plus there is a pinball which is always good to play when roasted..
Do not stop posting Please do not it is impelling me to go.

Got to go but I will would definitely would like to have a smoke out at Basjoe.

Enjoy god I am so jealous !

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Tue Jun 14, 3:27 pm

des,

not a rude question at all!

i am just everyone and everything : >

but, I did think it was obvious in a gender neutral kind of way.

I am a russian!

today had a misty rain
the kind where the air itself is the rain
like moving thru a moist net

not a good day for the dog, so shorter walks for him today. he becomes incredibly dirty and slowly soaks deeply

study time at Paradox, our chinese is getting better. there was a great character from the US speaking rather loudly, (as Americans are prone to do). at one point he declares well i won't see 39 ever again. The whole place was packed, a bubble of laughter ran thru the place, with everyone in the shop agreeing yup -- non of us will see 39 again in this life..... a momentary bounding. then we split

off to zen pinball at flower power
yes there is such a thing as zen pinball.......

flower power is being redone inside, bar is being moved. little chaotic
put money in the machine for multiple plays
begin to play and realized that the electrical lights are not quite working - so- there is NO display of the score, or anything else for that matter.
one of the flippers does not work and periodically the machine shots out a bunch of balls. it's all kind of random and an interesting experience removing the competitive nature of racking up points. the money is in the machine, there is no walking away. zen pinball

next chocalope from grey area a little too wet (not cured properly)

then the quest for a clock
there is no time source in the apartment - without a time source, i can get lost in time with these long days. i would not do well with 24 hours of light, just would never sleep, no cue to slow down
most every store was closed on monday
cheap tourist trinket shop - found cheap trinket made in china clock. it will do the trick.

onward

it's really a low key quiet city. kind of expected it to be a lot more crowded
making restaurant reservations in advance -- no problems (usually always have some form of glitch in this arena, but everything is available when we want it. (more to be revealed regarding choices)

on to non reserved dining

decided we wanted to eat Indian food tonite, so, for the hell of it i decided to check what Trip Advisor recommended. their number 6 restaurant of over 1200 restaurants in Amsterdam was koh i noor. i do not mean to sound like i have an attitude, but really??!! that restaurant is across the street from the westerkerk. what do ya think? It is a tourist trap.(serves a purpose, but....) same goes for all of their top rated Indian restaurants. definitely gives me an entirely new perspective on taking any advice from that site! After a drive by ( well that's another story) decided to go to Meghna on utrechsesraat, a place we know and trust. filled with dutch and indian customers, instead of tourists. A place that actually depends on repeat business. the food was a bit greasy this time, but tasty with choices for the vegetarian.

*the drive by: the plan was to ride over to check out koh i noor then perhaps on to utrechtsestraat. everything perfect. little damp and misty. i am ahead of the mate about a half block or so I turn on to Rozenstraat (please excuse spelling) stand at the top of the canal bridge. Wave to the mate as he waits for the red light. He tentatively waves back. the light changes and off he goes continuing down the canal. hummm. figure he'll realize and turn around. nope. no mate. what to do? who did he think was waving to him? neither of us have cell phones on us. knowing he can get lost easily, figure we may not see each other again this evening. After about 10 minutes i decide to head over to Utrechsestraat. No he's not there. peer into the restaurant window -- no mate. walk up and down the street no mate. figure, might as well de-stress at stix and decide what the next move is, pull the bike over to the canal to lock up, just as i step into the street, the mate arrives (almost rides into me). he had gotten lost, figured it out and was also headed to stix. lol - great minds . so we toke up and go to eat

bought NLX at stix was not impressed

another quick stop at stix for a digestive aid <wink> after the meal (blue cheese )

mate loudly sneezed three times. budtender said: sneeze one more time and we will have great weather tomorrow!. on cue, he sneezed one more time. have to wait to see what happens : >

love their music, it is always the best. it's the owners playlist, no one else has any input. damn, she has a good ear!

decided to end the evening at kadinsky's for pinball ( Couch! are you listening?). the machine is in good shape, nice action. (Spider man) am accustomed to breaking the machine and winning extra games, not a super star player, but adequate. don't think i have played pinball since we were here last august. well, i hang my head and admit it has been humiliation by machine. every time i touch a machine the ball behaves like it does not want to play with me. it's becoming pretty funny - balls scurrying away as fast they can.

tried for an early night. by 2 am we finally put ourselves down for sleep.

-----
hey Padi - do let us know your plans. friday thru sunday is open garden days. 30 private gardens to walk thru. we have purchased tkts it'll be walk thru a garden and take a toke break kind of weekend. be happy to meet you. will definitely check out mellow yellow thanks : >
Last edited by worldcitizen1723 on Wed Jun 15, 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Tue Jun 14, 3:55 pm

Another great report. Tak and Holly took me to a fantastic (food, not decor) Indian restaurant near the Asoka. About a half a block west on Haarlemmerdijk. Might be Balaj @ #28.

Peace

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Tue Jun 14, 4:25 pm

Bohannon wrote:Tak and Holly took me to a fantastic (food, not decor) Indian restaurant near the Asoka. About a half a block west on Haarlemmerdijk. Might be Balaj @ #28.

Peace

What did you have, and did you have diarrhoea the next day?

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Tue Jun 14, 4:40 pm

shezzuk1 wrote:
Bohannon wrote:Tak and Holly took me to a fantastic (food, not decor) Indian restaurant near the Asoka. About a half a block west on Haarlemmerdijk. Might be Balaj @ #28.

Peace

Usual fare, the marsala stood out. No squirts the next day, just a normal shezzuk1 (or should that be "shezzuk2"?)

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Tue Jun 14, 4:43 pm

Bohannon wrote:
shezzuk1 wrote:

Peace

Usual fare, the marsala stood out. No squirts the next day, just a normal shezzuk1 (or should that be "shezzuk2"?)

Massala is an English dish, it was invented by the Indian restaurants in the UK for the UK market...

Oh and I see you still struggle with humour don't you?

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Tue Jun 14, 4:49 pm

Good catch on the spelling although I quite like Marsala as well. Seems that there is a bit of controversy concerning the origins.

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Tue Jun 14, 5:44 pm

Bohannon wrote:Another great report. Tak and Holly took me to a fantastic (food, not decor) Indian restaurant near the Asoka. About a half a block west on Haarlemmerdijk. Might be Balaj @ #28.

Peace

Its the Balraj and its by far the best in town - no shits the next day but put the toilet roll in the fridge overnight if you have a hot curry :-)

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Tue Jun 14, 5:49 pm

I reckon it's aimed mainly at the Brit pissed-up tourist market...

Couch
power poster
power poster

Postby Couch » Tue Jun 14, 6:35 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:Couch! are you listening?

Yes, and taking notes! I will be there in October!

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Tue Jun 14, 7:00 pm

Swin wrote:
Bohannon wrote:Another great report. Tak and Holly took me to a fantastic (food, not decor) Indian restaurant near the Asoka. About a half a block west on Haarlemmerdijk. Might be Balaj @ #28.

Peace

Its the Balraj and its by far the best in town - no shits the next day but put the toilet roll in the fridge overnight if you have a hot curry :-)

I've tried the Madras there a couple of times ... I had a ringpiece like a dragon's nostril on both occasions!

Peace, Des.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Tue Jun 14, 9:50 pm

shezzuk1 wrote:I reckon it's aimed mainly at the Brit pissed-up tourist market...

Why would you reckon that?

Swin
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Swin » Tue Jun 14, 11:04 pm

Bohannon wrote:
shezzuk1 wrote:I reckon it's aimed mainly at the Brit pissed-up tourist market...

Why would you reckon that?

Well Shezz is the expert on being a pissed up British tourist

Fortunately when I was there I found both staff and fellow customers
a) pleasant b) sober and c) apart from me, not British

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Tue Jun 14, 11:06 pm

day 4

well i can assure you no such problems from Meghna!

Balraj -hummm

i think i ate there a number of years ago, will check it out:, think we had a bit of digestive disturbance after that excursion, if it's the place i am thinking - there's another Indian restaurant not too far down the street if i remember correctly, could be we ate at the other. i will check it and see
lol it's ranked 242 on trip Advisor
the one we went to last night Meghna is rated #404
these people who rank on that website have no taste!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guv6hWaIQaE

SUN
BLUE SKIES

the 4 sneezes did the trick!
began the day at 137 again. just cuz they have good outdoor seating to sit in the sun with the dog. only bought cappucino and water there - so can not say anything about their smoke. do miss the proximity to Paradox that the last apartment afforded. I loved rolling out of bed and starting the day there. oh well, not that we can not go there - just a much longer hike for the four paws

been contemplating the whole idea of tourists for the last coupe of days. i think mostly because my neighborhood in the city has been transformed into a tourist beckoning attraction. Gawd when we moved there, even new Yorkers questioned whether it was safe to visit us. We would laugh and say, no problem the folks that rob you and break into your home, live here, they don't piss in their neighborhood - they will however go to your neighborhood. dress like you belong here and you will not have a problem It became painfully clear last summer, when my neighborhood streets were becoming clogged with tourist and their maps. our restaurants were filled, but not with any or us. People standing in the middle of the street gawking and pointing oblivious to the bags of groceries that I am trying to transport, while they unconsciously block every option for me to pass. It is frustrating when it is your home. A hotel is opening across the street from my NY home as I am writing this. On return, there will be even more tourists in my once safe haven.
tourism: - sort of like going to experience a different culture as a voyeur or maybe a vulture
it is not necessarily a pleasant experience for the host. guess i can understand the side that wants to stop drug tourism. Although alcohol is what does the damage. actually a couple of coffeeshop staff said that a pot head is easy. what are they gonna do? someone drunk on alcohol is a different story, usually they become angry, violent and belligerent. definitely much harder to handle

forgot to mention that we did make the pilgrimage to puccini bonboni yesterday and picked up the caramel balls covered in dark chocolate (mate's favorite) along with dark chocolate and chilli pepper (my favorite) and dark chocolate and mango (everyones favorite!). glad that this is a once a year indulgence. i would gain weight living in this city!!

wandered around and thru westerpark on the bikes
figured we should turn around and head back after we passed the airport. : >
love the little summer cottages. wanted to find a way into the little gated community to see them up close. but could not find a crack in their security moat nor could i find a resident willing to let a couple of tourists in! wtf lol

stopped at pacific parc a restaurant in the westerpark. (how ironic is that!)
anyway, they served really good lunch type food. i had a vegetarian mexican wrap (fresh beans, corn, avocado, lettuce, tomaoto, spices and cheese with sour cream) huge portion for 6 euro. it was listed as an appetizer - can not imagine eating more after it - it was twice the size i expected. I totally recommend it. Also they have DJ's and dancing thursday thru sunday nights.

random art work globes : http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/whats-on/e ... ool-globes

did not really take the time to look them over individually will do that when we go to Proef for dinner on Sunday nite
http://www.proefamsterdam.nl/

just got the overall effect of a long line of multicolored globes. made me want to run down the line and begin twirling them. like one does to the prayer wheels in tibet.

back into the park to stare at birds, soak in the sun and fry our brains while bantering chinese metaphysics. could life be any finer?

came back to walk the dog and send the mate on a grocery run (i sure hope he does not get lost) he decided he did not like the Albert H. that was close
(two in fact, a couple of blocks in either direction) No he wants to go to the one near the old apartment.. and he left his cell phone. (we are not very good with them, unlike most we do not use them much. so if we actually have a phone on us, odds are good that it is not charged) have land lines for work and home, hard to find need for the little buzzers except of course when separated in Amsterdam.

walking the dog. he has made a handful of animal friends in the neighborhood, there's the crazy dog that barks at every door and bush before he can pass it, the little puppy owned by a little boy. the puppy, 5 to 6 months old at most, is so well trained off leash that he will not even go over to rishi unless allowed. (no dusty's for this little guy!) the little boy jingles his keys and the dog immediately follows. we are definitely not that well trained. there are a couple of older dogs bored by life in general and little dogs specifically

anyway, in the middle of the jordaan, it is fairly quiet, only a few random cars. I keep the dog on the sidewalk slivers. well he went into dump mode, waddles out to the middle of the street and curls up to do his business. he kind of doubles up and looks like a black and white ball of long fur on a string. front end and back end become almost indistinguishable. wouldn'tya just know it?! a car comes rolling thru just as he hits full squat. he is in midshit as the car approaches, not much i could do, I shrug my shoulders. the man yells out kraack e dam (obviously spelled totally incorrectly) waves his hand. thank goodness, it is one of the phrases i kind of understand (more or less means no problem, don't mention it). In any case, he flashed a giant smile and waited until I cleaned up the street. In NYC the dog and i would have been one with the pavement, before we ever got to the clean up portion.

the mate made it back from the store, without a hitch.

simple dinner at the apartment. a walk with the dog

followed by a smoke run by bike, decided to try the Greenhouse Crack for the evening. stopped by the rokerij on singel to sample the selection. highly recommended indica.

had lots of plans and ideas. instead decided to ride up and down the canals, looking into windows and melding into the dream...
Last edited by worldcitizen1723 on Wed Jun 15, 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Jun 15, 12:15 am

Now that's my kind of trip! Good one.

kiwi_in_Oz
super power poster
super power poster

Postby kiwi_in_Oz » Wed Jun 15, 12:21 am

des wrote:
worldcitizen1723 wrote:

The dog

I hope you don't think this is a rude question, but are you male or female, WC1723?

Peace, Des.

whoops. my apologies wc1723 I have got your gender wrong all this time as well.

Hobie
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hobie » Wed Jun 15, 1:48 pm

nice report wc1723

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Wed Jun 15, 10:33 pm

day 5 (moving too fast!)

woke to bright sun and blue skies
looked at the clock (thank goodness for a clock!)
it's 5 in the morning
went back to sleep

re upped at 9
the clouds are rolling in
by the time coffee is made the rain is coming down.
mate was ready to grab the bikes, i on the other hand nixed the idea
it poured. i strutted, gloating that we did not take bikes. : >

lucky i took the dog out before coffee and rain

went to the wednesday outdoor organic market on Haarlemplien in the pouring rain.
why exactly do i have this compulsion to go to the green markets?? especially accompanied by buckets of rain?

really it's not like one can not get organic fruits and veggies at the natuurwinkel ( btw the chain has a new name eco ---something or other i will check and correct this asap)
seems the chain was bought by another. Also they DO take cash, so no fit at check out. so far every place still takes cash except Proef which is either pin or credit card.

anyway - i am still questioning the self as to why the food must be procured in such a manner. when i have an answer i'll post it.

brought the food back to the apartment.

wow. the miracle of clothes dryers!
reason enough to have an apartment.

transforming soaked nasty clothes into a warm hug

but
you should have seen us before we got to that warm hug part-

like monkeys trying to open the dryer. she said it was easy...
we were pushing and grasping every corner and angle.
running hands over the top and sides

in frustration mate said he would walk the dog
and that i should call the landlady

i couldn't call and ask how to open the dryer - that is just way too lame.

instead grabbed my computer to translate the dryer inscriptions.
duh, find that deur means door.
modern technology, just push the correct button : >
now that i could open the door, the rest would be a breeze

warm dry clothes
what a treat!

decided to return to Green house and buy 3 more grams each of the crack and the kali mist. they are superb as are the Dr. grinspoon, the cheese and the tangerine dreams from Barneys. everything else has been mediocre.

since the day has been wet and grey decide to go to check out Mellow Yellow on recommendation from padichar and then head for a museum (van gogh or rike).
great pinball machine at Mellow Yellow- too bad it is on the opposite side of the canal belt from where we are.
new machine Star Trek. great action and cheapest play we have seen. .50 euro for one game (3 balls). Al the others have been 1e for 3 balls
only problem is that it was hot and smokey inside, ventilation system not working and windows that could not open (after the rain it actually became a bit warm and steamy) I would imagine it will be perfect in october couch!! bought the S 5 Haze (their strain) wasn't that impressed. started thinking maybe i am just saturated in THC and nothing can really touch me - until we smoked some of the kali mist and was reminded that i could still get high.

because the clouds were clearing and the sun was sort of shining we decided to take advantage and bike over to Java and Sumatra, something we have talked about but have not done. it's like a modern cartooned version of the best ideas of dutch architecture and design. the surrounding water has power and authority. it was a great way to soak in the sun and get a sense of the modern side of Amsterdam and RIDE OUR BICYCLES.
i want to ride my bicycle, i want to ride my bike....

the thighs are starting to notice the extra use. the apartment is advertised as on the first floor (second floor for those in the USA as we count the ground as the first floor) but that is only where the entrance door is, from there one more flight up to the living room and another flight up to the bedrooms.
ever notice how whatever you are looking for is on another floor?

anytime there is a hint of complaint, I remind the mate that i almost said yes to an apartment on bloemengracht another duplex on the 4th and 5th floors! (5th and 6th to those in US) so this is MUCH better

came back to the apartment, ate a big salad, drank wine nibbled on puccini bonboni. took the dog over to coffeshop137 to sit outside, sip a cappuccino and give him some time to watch the world go by. After a number of joints, we decided that pizza from Perla was needed to make the meal complete. the place was jammed! the quality has remained consistent and we were totally satisfied with the decision.
(I only ate half of my pizza, but that was more than enough)

in case we were not stuffed enough, we stopped for ice cream down the street

we rolled back to the apartment
of course we stopped at Spirit to smoke a joint in the night air, before finally returning to the apartment to play with the dog

concerning my gender
i have kept, as much as possible a gender neutral presence on channels, mostly because i did not want my pov dismissed as female or inferior. Something that still happens in our western cultures. Who else but a female would even think of wanting to just be accepted as a human being? I am sure most men never think twice about it. for those of you who thought I was a male. thanks it made me feel accepted in some strange way.
Last edited by worldcitizen1723 on Thu Jun 16, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Wed Jun 15, 10:47 pm

I think we all did...:)

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”