Unexpected trip to Amsterdam

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

cjcarr
power poster
power poster

Unexpected trip to Amsterdam

Postby cjcarr » Wed Apr 06, 1:26 am

This is my first try at a trip report; so let me know what you think….It’s long so I’ll break it up between days.

One minute I’m living my normal life, job, family, you know…. And the next minute, my wife needs to go back to her county to take care of an unexpected family issue – she takes the kids…. Two weeks…

One of the first things I thought of was a quick long weekend trip using some of my flight miles. So, the next thing you know I’m landing in AMS really not believing I’m actually here. Wife and family leaves on Sunday, I let my boss know I’ll be taking a few days off on Monday, plan during Tuesday and fly out on Thursday night…

Land @ 8am, no sleep. I usually sleep well on flights but the person sitting next to me was snoring, drove me crazy but I thought what the heck – I’m on my way to Amsterdam!

Arrive and packed my gear in the train station locker. Walk over to the Coffeeshop Central @ 9am, purchased:

1.3g Cheese 12.50 e

Can’t really believe I’m here. Cheese was tasty, small nugs. Nothing better than a coffee and a joint to take care of the lag and the up-all night feeling in the stomach. Feeling great!

Walked over to Popeye’s and purchased:

1g Aladdin’s Chocolate Hash 15 e
½ English Breakfast 5.50 e

Sat and smoked the rest of the cheese and some the of the hash. So high and now breakfast, am I in heaven? Great, tasty, Morrocan hash. Creamy and nutty tasting. I was so happy to be right there at that time.

Walked around, took it all in and headed over to check into the hotel. Hampshire Inn @ 94e, very nice clean room. Tried to take a nap but I was either too high or too excited, I think was probably a mix of the two. Quick shower then and back out. Over to my favorite, The Noon. As usual, this place brings back memories and I always have such a good feeling being there. The budtender was very friendly, as usual, and there was space at a table. Purchased:

1g Sleaze 10e

This Sour Diesel/LA Conf blend was covered in crystals and my nugs were nearly white. What a selection and prices, once again I’m not let down and to top it off – they had the fresh mint tea, big favorite of mine. I mixed the sleaze with a bit of the chocolate in a joint and I’m flying again…

Still going, no sleep. At this point, I’m feeling good. Keep the coffee and pot following and I should be fine.. Tram to the train station and I’m off to my favorite Dutch city, Haarlem. Arrived and walked over to WW Sativa. Purchased:

1.2g Amnesia 12e

Very powerful, sweet, flavorful pot. I was pleased with the purchase but was surprised to see that it seems to have a member’s only smoking area. I asked and wasn’t allowed back; there was a table near the purchasing area to smoke for non-members at least. Four years ago was the last time I was there, no wall and door with a members only smoking area back then.

Walked around and had some dinner. Next stop, Coffeeshop Empire – purchased:

1g Amnesia 12e

This was good; the WW version was lot’s better. Smoke, coffee, a quick chat and I'm back to the train station... Got back and walked over to Lost in Amsterdam. Good crowd. Had a beer and smoked a mixed joint with several of my earlier purchases. It was around 11pm and I started to hit the wall. Slowly walked back to the hotel….

Great first day! And once again, I really can't believe I'm here. So much better an unexpected trip is in a way, you don't have to sit for weeks waiting and waiting for the trip to happen....

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Wed Apr 06, 1:50 am

Nice..

Anybody know what's up with Indica? I've never seen a separate smoking area..been a couple years tho

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Apr 06, 3:45 pm

boneymaroni wrote:Nice..

Anybody know what's up with Indica? I've never seen a separate smoking area..been a couple years tho

Sativa...a "Member's area"?

Indica? Have to ask Nol.

Nice report.

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Wed Apr 06, 3:53 pm

ahh...clearly says Sativa...still wonder about a 'members only' area in any CS.

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Wed Apr 06, 3:57 pm

boneymaroni wrote:ahh...clearly says Sativa...still wonder about a 'members only' area in any CS.

Yeah sounds a bit shit to me...though, I reckon if you spoke Dutch you'd be allowed in...

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Wed Apr 06, 5:34 pm

Walked here, bought some weed, smoked it.
Walked there, bought some weed, smoked it.
Slept.

cjcarr
power poster
power poster

Postby cjcarr » Thu Apr 07, 11:43 am

shezzuk1 wrote:
boneymaroni wrote:ahh...clearly says Sativa...still wonder about a 'members only' area in any CS.

Yeah sounds a bit shit to me...though, I reckon if you spoke Dutch you'd be allowed in...

So, you don't think it was the bright white sneakers, the Levi's blue jeans or the big American Flag Tshirt that I was wearing that did it, huh?

I'm really not sure what the deal is there. But, there were a few others with me in this non-members area smoking as well, and they were locals for sure... And yes, it was WW Sativa, the small shop right near the train station.

I also went to another coffeeshop, T 'Gienert I believe it was, at the outer end of VPark. It was more of a locals spot, and they too had a petition with a members only sign. But when asked, they allowed me back to smoke and hang out...

cjcarr
power poster
power poster

Postby cjcarr » Thu Apr 07, 11:53 am

Generous_J wrote:Walked here, bought some weed, smoked it.
Slept.

Thank you J for the insightful comment.... Seems like your making me out to look like either a drug tourist or a bore?

I did mention that this was my first attempt at a trip report. I was hoping that would cut me some slack, thanks!

I've been to AMS many times before so all of the tourist things I've done already, and this was only my first day....

I also didn't want to turn this report into a book!

Jessica
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Jessica » Thu Apr 07, 12:04 pm

cjcarr wrote:
Slept.

Thank you J for the insightful comment.... Seems like your making me out to look like either a drug tourist or a bore?

I did mention that this was my first attempt at a trip report. I was hoping that would cut me some slack, thanks!

I've been to AMS many times before so all of the tourist things I've done already, and this was only my first day....

I liked it.

J's trip report sounds like what mine would be, expect there'd be "Eat at Burger King" on every other line. I'm happy to be a drug tourist, when that's what I went on vacation for.

Tall Guy
super poster
super poster

Postby Tall Guy » Thu Apr 07, 12:18 pm

Jessica wrote:vacation

Highly unusual useage for a Brit.

Jessica
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Jessica » Thu Apr 07, 12:28 pm

Tall Guy wrote:

Yea, I did that deliberately for any Americans reading :)

Tall Guy
super poster
super poster

Postby Tall Guy » Thu Apr 07, 12:32 pm

Jessica wrote:
Tall Guy wrote:

Hmmmmm....

Jessica
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Jessica » Thu Apr 07, 12:36 pm

Tall Guy wrote:
Jessica wrote:
Tall Guy wrote:

Hmmmmm....

lol - great usage +5
I'm a huge Curb fan, and very much British :)

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Thu Apr 07, 2:04 pm

cjcarr wrote:
Slept.

Sorry, there are just so many trip reports which, essentially, ammount to a shopping list.

cjcarr
power poster
power poster

Postby cjcarr » Thu Apr 07, 2:11 pm

Generous_J wrote:
cjcarr wrote:
Slept.

Sorry, there are just so many trip reports which, essentially, ammount to a shopping list.

No worries... LOL..... I thought that's what my trip report should be like...

I'll try to make Day 2 less like a list and more like a travel summary...

patrick

Postby patrick » Thu Apr 07, 8:04 pm

members only smoking area.....sounds like the start of something.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Thu Apr 07, 11:40 pm

Designed to keep people like Patsy out.

cjcarr
power poster
power poster

Postby cjcarr » Fri Apr 08, 1:45 pm

Day 2:

Today I would begin my NL adventure. I've never driven in Holland and I was looking forward to getting away for the weekend to explore areas of the country I've never been to.

I checked out and headed over to Leidseplein to rent a car. Before heading out I needed to stock back up so I parked and walked down to Coffeeshop Bulldog. I'm not a big fan of the Bulldog's, but this one I like. Purchased:

1g Chocolope 12e

I’m picky when it comes to Chocolope, I've had some good and some just ok in Amsterdam, here, and in general. This sample was excellent. Really great tasting, strong smoke. It went very well with my morning coffee. After a few nice conversations, I headed out.

I wanted to explore the southern part of the country so I took off heading south with no real plan. After exploring most of the afternoon, I ended up in Weert. A nice quite small town I really enjoyed getting lost in. Found a room and went to check out the downtown. Did some cloths shopping and had a nice dinner. I was nice to get away from the city and to mingle with the locals.

After dinner it was time for a coffeeshop. I knew from the web there was at least one shop here in town. But I was having issues finding it so I asked someone. They informed me that there was actually two. So I checked out De Hobbit and purchased:

2g Pearl Power 20e

Not bad for the price, small nugs covered in crystals. Very pleased with the purchase and the setting to enjoy my smoke and after dinner coffee. Talked up the budtender for a bit, he was surprised to see an American in Weert. We watched a movie and talked. After that it was pub time. Hit up a few bars and had a few beers. Next up, Coffeeshop Paradox for a purchase of:

1g Blue Mystic 9.50e
2g Speotnick Hash 13.50e

Paradox was really cool. It was a modern, funky, bright coffeeshop that had these small different smoking areas and rooms. Very, very cool – free wifi and all. One thing though, the smoke. It was all just OK. Something the budtender from De Hobbit told me rang true. He said that most people purchase gear from them and then go to Paradox to smoke it and I can see why now…. The Blue Mystic was dry and not all that tasty and the hash, even though well priced, was also dry. But the coffeeshop itself was top notch, excellent place for a local to hang out after work for a smoke. It really reminded me of the pot dispensary in the Lower Haight I used to frequent after work. I sat there and thought why can't we have this in the US? Someday, I hope....

Went back to the hotel and the second I laid my head down, I was off to sleep…

shezzuk1

Postby shezzuk1 » Fri Apr 08, 3:21 pm

Nice report CJ, good to get off the beaten track isn't it? oh, and tell Generous_J to F off!

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Fri Apr 08, 3:43 pm

shezzuk1 wrote:Nice report CJ, good to get off the beaten track isn't it? oh, and tell Generous_J to F off!

Kiss kiss.

cjcarr wrote:Day 2:

Like that you just rented a car and drove south, without a plan.
Thats how I like to travel - wanderlust!

patrick

Postby patrick » Fri Apr 08, 4:50 pm

please excuse bo, he does not know what he is doing. thanks for the trip report. we get fewer and fewer of them now adays.

cjcarr
power poster
power poster

Postby cjcarr » Sat Apr 09, 4:12 pm

Day 3:

I woke up and went down for breakfast. Watched this small dutch town wake up and go about its business. My hotel was across from the train station so I was able to watch people do their thing. Got off to a slow start on purpose waiting for Paradox to open before I hit the road again. I purchased:

2g Paradox Special 22.50e

The paradox special was good, tight buds with a noticeable smell. Very stony, especially mixed with the hash from last night. I had to do some research on the web and find a room for tonight so I spent an hour or so surfing, smoking and drinking coffee. The staff was very friendly, helpful and it was such a nice way to start off a day.

I started out driving, headed up to Venlo. After tooling around there for a bit I headed up A73 along the boarder making my way to Nijmegen. Ate, shopped, took pictures. After that I needed to get on my way to the hotel. Heading back to Amsterdam, I realized that this country is small. You could probably drive to anywhere in the country within one day. I always knew it was a small country but to have a chance to drive through it really makes you realize it.

I make it back to Amsterdam around 9pm, I find my hotel and check in, Hotel Central Park. Very nice hotel that was reasonable, it was around 45e. Clean room with TV and bathroom, elevator and very close to the park. It is on the outside end of Vondelpark in a quite, residential neighborhood. Asked the front desk where the coffeeshop was and I was off for a nightcap….

Right around the corner was T ‘Gienert. Small, locals coffeshop; you could tell right away. Such a different response then the coffeeshops in Weert or the touristy shops closer to Amsterdam Centrum. Once they noticed that I was not a local and spoke English, and not English like someone from the UK, I was treated with a bit of an attitude. Also, I noticed in this shop there was a turnstile and a sign. It was in Dutch but I assumed it was a member’s only sign. I purchased:

1.3g Cheese Haze 13e
1.3g Haze 12.00e

Once the budtender realized I was making a decent purchase, he changed his tone a bit. He became a lot nicer and even threw me a lighter. I asked if I could pass through the turnstile and sit down. He said yes and took my drink order. Stayed for a while, not much conversation for me here. Watched TV and smoked it up…. It was getting toward closing so I headed out for a couple of beers before heading back to the room.

Well, one more full day I thought before heading off to sleep…..

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”