Second Day: Worry, Worry, Worry

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Second Day: Worry, Worry, Worry

Postby Dogbreath » Thu Feb 27, 4:51 pm

Woke feeling very unrested. Felt like shit, as they say. The jet lag rears it's ugly head.

After breakfast at the Hotel Brouwer, after specifying the egg be cooked hard boiled as a proactive gastro intestinal safety measure, we ambled on the pleasant sunny morning along Singel canal, the city coming awake, all the Dutchies riding their bikes to work or wherever.

We stopped at the Freeworld Internet Cafe for a smoke and catch up on e mails. The messgaes from Mrs. Dogbreath were disturbing. My ever faithful aged terminally ill canine companion was taking a turn for the worse. All the signs of a dog near the end of the trail. That news burst my Amsterdam bubble, and put a big damper on my state of mind.

Feeling ever so tired, a long catnap at the hotel, some reading and a hot shower seemed to clear the weariness away.

Then on to De Kuil. The police were out in force this evening... lots of police on bicycles, on foot, on horses. A big soccor game was in the works this evening: Ajax, the NL team was playing a team from the UK. A few police riot vans were parked along touristy Damrak as a precaution.

Six pm in the evening at De Kuil coffee shop where we met up with Docski, Nogbin, Confuzn and Anty (Antionette), the new Mrs. Confuzn. Lots more of the same.. massive amounts of weed consumed by the Confuzn's and Hebe. Buckofive stopped by... with his electric humor..... always nice to meet another channelite.

Feeling hungry, I stepped out to the Frites shop (french fries) a few doors down, and ordered a small "cone" of frites, with ketchup, for which one pays extra here in Holland... even pay extra for the tradional mayonaise the Dutchies plunk onto their fries.

While waiting at the window where the fries are delivered, a Dutchman started up a chat with me. He was in his late 40's, who looked like a Dutch "regular working guy" a pleasant guy, with a big smile... he was out on the town to see the big game tonight. He started chatting with me, in Dutch, and would chuckle at the end of every sentence. So, I just sorta said "Ja" and smiled, nodded in response. After a few more of such exchanges, he chuckled, then looked at me, expecting a response. A pregnant pause occured as I pondered what to do.

Smiling, I asked, "Sprek de Engels, Ja?"

"Eh?", he said, then said a few words like "Vere you vatch de game tonight". I fibbingly said, "At the bar", and pointed towards De Kuil, though I have no interest in soccor.

Then the Dutchman, probably due to previous influence of some Dutch Genevere Gin or Heineken, went right on talking to me in Dutch.... looking and laughing while he would look at me expecting an answer again. I just sort of smiled back like an idiot, and thankfully, the frites arrived, and I said "Gouden avanti" in my best fake Dutch accent, wandered back to De Kuil to gorge myself.

After a couple few hours we all decided to go to the Supermarket coffee shop, and walked through the alleys to catch a tram on Niewe Vorbgandike, or something like that. Standing there, no trams at all came by. So, we changed plans and decided to visit Abraxus Coffee Shop.

More of the same... sitting around, Anty rolling killer weed/hash joints, one right after another. Man, those folks can sure smoke up a storm... I'd be under the table if I did that much. Confuzn and Anty had some "mystery weed" they bought at the Bush Doktor coffee shop, which seemed to blow everyone away.

The evening wore on, so Hebe and I did our evening recon patrol of the RLD. Cheap thrills for two tired fifty'somethings, watching the young, applealing, fecond Professional Women. The streets were oddly quiet.. we credited that to the soccor game. Every bar we passed was filled with people watching the game... some full of the English, others full of Cloggies.

Then to Thais Bird snackbar, for a quick Thai meal. Five asians working their butts off in a postage stamp size shop. Good and quick food... not the Dutch way.

Now it was time to get stoned again, so on to Siberie Coffee Shop on Brouwersgracht, for a quiet evening nightcap. A few locals were there hanging out, and the vibes were nice.

Getting late now, Hebe went back to the hotel, me to Freeworld Internet to get a dog status update. The message from Mrs. Dogbreath was good:
The vet had come out the the house and my almost sixteen year old quadrapedal companion was found to be ok, not yet ready to throw in the last bone. What a pleasant relief after a downcast day worrying.

With lightened steps, I walked back to the canal in the quiet evening, the stars shining on the canal like a clear mirror, the lights from all the windows glowing, with most window curtains wide open in the traditional Dutch manner, where I could see the Cloggies watching TV, or on computers. A perfect evening in Amsterdam and a nice gazellig end to an otherwise worrisome day.

Life is goeden.

:-) Dogbreath

amst
regular
regular

dog days numbered

Postby amst » Thu Feb 27, 6:04 pm

thanks once again for the great report - right up to your usual high standards despite the dog news. Just lost my own 16 year old labrador, so I know what you are going through. If the vet says she's OK, that's all you need. Keep 'em coming.

amst

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Postby BlueBerry » Thu Feb 27, 7:51 pm

Awee the part about your doggie almost made me cry! I sure hope nothing happens while you are away, that would be heartbreaking. Glad to hear ole dogbreath is doing ok for now though.

Great Report as usual:))

Until later,

BlueBerry

dobbs
power poster
power poster

Postby dobbs » Fri Feb 28, 1:13 am

Best of luck to your puppydog, Dogbreath. I'll be thinking good thoughts.

spliff
power poster
power poster

Postby spliff » Fri Feb 28, 4:17 pm

positive vibes to dogbreth,the man and the animal.i really enjoy your trip reports,after a few bong hits it's the best reading for me there is,like a mini trip along with you to mecca.if karma means anything i think you have enough to keep your pet healthy until you are ready to say goodbye.enjoy the rest of your trip as much as i enjoy reading about it.

Accylad

Brilliant !

Postby Accylad » Wed Mar 19, 9:07 pm

Hope your namesake is on the mend Dogbreath,, and I have to say that as usual, your literary genius astounds me. Its almost like I was there reading your report. Can't wait for my trip in October.

As an Englishman I thought I'd just pass my thoughts on the game of 'soccer' as you cousins from across the water call it. The match you are refering to was probably the Ajax versus Arsenal European Champions League game. Although English football fans are synonymous with violence, most of us are decent human beings who enjoy watching the sport. A small mindless bunch do follow both our club and national sides, but to be honest I wouldn't have thought there would have been much trouble. Having said that, Dutch football does attract its fair share of hooligans, probably (believe it or not) moreso than English teams. I was in Dam last June when England played Argentina in the World Cup. I saw the game in O'Reilleys and the atmosphere was rocking. there were plenty of Dutch fans in cheering England on and a few Argies who beat a hasty retreat when Beckham got the all important penalty. We were leaving that night (Friday) but I believe the influx of weekend British lads caused a few problems late on which necessitated the local law enformenent authorities to intervene. very sad and very stupid. I was suprised to learn there is actually quite a large Argentinian population in Dam who all seem to run Steak House businesses, so we avoided those ! Nothing like a bit of jingoism eh ?

I'm actually quite embarrased to call myself English as I know weekends in Dam can be quite hairy with groups of English lads on stag weekends and such like, thats why whenever I go I always make a point of going midweek.

Anyway, great report as usual.

Cheers

Accylad

whitedog
super poster
super poster
Location: the holy state of new jersey usa the 37th most holy state in the union

poser?

Postby whitedog » Sat Apr 19, 2:36 am

hey db, sorry to hear about your dog, may the gods smile on dogbreath.

having been away from this board for a while it is sure nice to come back and read this wonderful trip report.

it makes me realize that whether you are in amsterdam giving us this narative or have culled all your info from virtual sources, it makes for a wonderful escapist read.

happy motoring,
wd

ps... how about a shop report from rusland?

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Re: poser?

Postby Dogbreath » Sun Apr 20, 12:35 am

whitedog wrote:hey db, sorry to hear about your dog, may the gods smile on dogbreath.

having been away from this board for a while it is sure nice to come back and read this wonderful trip report.

it makes me realize that whether you are in amsterdam giving us this narative or have culled all your info from virtual sources, it makes for a wonderful escapist read.

happy motoring,
wd

ps... how about a shop report from rusland?

Thank you for the nice comments, whitedog.

My ever faithful quadrpedal companion is now only a memory, and a bag of ashes are all that remain. The gods did indeed smile by sending that dog towards me many years ago.

Escapist read: that seems appropos.... probably the reason I and many others make the pilgrimage... it is the only place where I can get away from the day to day drivel.

Koffieshop Rusland? I have yet to visit that place, though I have heard nice things about it from B'dette and Nogbin. It certainly will be high on my "must visit" list, for that proverbial "next trip".

whitedog
super poster
super poster
Location: the holy state of new jersey usa the 37th most holy state in the union

so sorry

Postby whitedog » Sun Apr 20, 3:14 pm

hi db, i am so sorry to hear about your dog. i hope dogbreath had an easy passage over the rainbow bridge. may all your memories of dogbreath be happy ones.

best wishes,

wd..

who currently has two bags of dog ashes and one very happy, very alive whippet.

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Sun Apr 20, 3:52 pm

Always tough to lose a canine companion. It simply does not feel "right" not having a dog around... when coming home, when dropping some food in the kitchen floor, and mostly, walking in the woods...... feel "naked" without good dog company.

Lately, the thoughts of getting a pup have been crossing my mind, so that is a good sign that the worst is over. One day the gods will send a dog my way, and after that happens, I will, with my new dog, spread the ashes along the trails we used to walk on together.

As the american indians said, "From death comes life".

whitedog
super poster
super poster

Postby whitedog » Sun Apr 20, 5:23 pm

hi db,

was dogbreath a purebred or a mixed breed? have you considered adopting an older dog? petfinder.com has lots of dogs listed, from pups to seniors.

i hope the gods send you a companion you can make many new memories with.

best wishes,

wd

ps: we are in the process of trying to adopt an older whippet to be a companion to our 10 y/o whippet

pps: when do you plan to go to a-dam again?

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”